Diamond Plus Perk now Taken Away on Anthem!

yogimax

Some years ago, Diamonds were removed from the Concierge Lounge. We never were, because we were already Diamond Plus. And all these years later, we are still Diamond Plus, because there is a huge 500+ point spread before you make Pinnacle. All of these C&A Diamond Plus folks are trapped there unless they almost go out of their way to make the next level. Of course the loyalty level is glutted. We're not quite that dedicated and will continue vacationing and cruising at our own speed. :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Really?  Is this your argument?

No.  My argument is that, at least based on these data, the number of Diamond Plus members increased by only 9 in two years.  However, the number of people who were admitted to the Diamond Club but not to the Concierge Club increased by 309.  That is disproportionate.  Perhaps these data are not representative but, since the number of people in each tier is considered a trade secret by Royal Caribbean, we cannot know whether they are representative.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, actuarian said:

No.  My argument is that, at least based on these data, the number of Diamond Plus members increased by only 9 in two years.  However, the number of people who were admitted to the Diamond Club but not to the Concierge Club increased by 309.  That is disproportionate.  Perhaps these data are not representative but, since the number of people in each tier is considered a trade secret by Royal Caribbean, we cannot know whether they are representative.

Did Anthem open the overflow 2 years ago🤔

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Did Anthem open the overflow 2 years ago🤔

To Royal Caribbean's credit, they did increase the size of the overflow area.  However, the justification for reducing Diamond Plus perks has been that the C&A program is becoming "top heavy".  That would mean that the number of cruisers who are Diamond Plus is increasing significantly faster than the total number of cruisers is increasing.  Many people on these boards seem to think that is true.  However, I have never seen any evidence to support that assertion.

4 minutes ago, davekathy said:

We prefer the DLs over the CLs. At least on the class ships we've cruised on. 

Vision Class.   Four ships, soon to be three, and who knows how long those three will be around?  CL has good views but is very small.  Easy to understand why D+ no longer have access to CL  on Vision and that may also be the case on the other three (haven't read anything one way or the other).  It's difficult to imagine really missing the CL on this class since finding an open seat tends to be a crapshoot.

4 hours ago, twangster said:

The improvements go beyond a cup of coffee.  The DL experience itself is much better and that isn't because there were 16 fewer guests eligible.  You could actually get a seat in 2020!

That's certainly not our experience on numerous Anthem sailings.  We never had a problem getting a seat in the CL and after the early dinner folks left, it was quite empty.  The DL on the other hand was another story and will only get worse.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, ILCTCRUISER said:

Vision Class.   Four ships, soon to be three, and who knows how long those three will be around?  CL has good views but is very small.  Easy to understand why D+ no longer have access to CL  on Vision and that may also be the case on the other three (haven't read anything one way or the other).  It's difficult to imagine really missing the CL on this class since finding an open seat tends to be a crapshoot.

Used to be 6😉

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Of course more and more active Pinnacles. Don’t forget Suites also have access to the CL. I know the Suite Guest complained about the overwhelming numbers in the CL. 

For a Suite passenger if they are not Diamond or higher they only have the option of the CL/SL and if they can't get a seat it is unfair and they should either be given the option of DL access or free drinks in other bars.

As a lot of the lounges quieten by 1st dining maybe the answer is the CL/SL is for Suite guests only until 6.30pm then Pinnacles allowed after this time in SL and D+ in the CL.

• Like 1

Does anyone have any estimate how many Pinnacles there are? Because of the length of time it takes to get to Pinnacle, there must be a steady turnover of people who are no longer cruising. How old is the youngest self-made Pinnacle you have encountered?

1 hour ago, DoctorRN said:

Does anyone have any estimate how many Pinnacles there are? Because of the length of time it takes to get to Pinnacle, there must be a steady turnover of people who are no longer cruising. How old is the youngest self-made Pinnacle you have encountered?

Youngest was 9 years old. Entire family was Pinnacle. There were 6 if I remember correctly. I believe they were from South America. Met them at the Pinnacle Luncheon early 2018.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, grapau27 said:

For a Suite passenger if they are not Diamond or higher they only have the option of the CL/SL and if they can't get a seat it is unfair and they should either be given the option of DL access or free drinks in other bars.

As a lot of the lounges quieten by 1st dining maybe the answer is the CL/SL is for Suite guests only until 6.30pm then Pinnacles allowed after this time in SL and D+ in the CL.

Suite guests on Empress were given 3 vouchers

When I sailed MJ they didn't.  That may have changed now that they have eliminated the VCL event

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, island lady said:

As of right now we DS seem to be the black sheep of the family.  😞 

Diamonds...no change, (still have their lounge).  Pinnies...no change (still have access to two lounges).  Big change is kicking D+ out of the alternate lounge.  Only D+ are the ones that took the hit.  Trying to jam all Ds and D+ into one smaller lounge....not working.  

18 hours ago, island lady said:

Just seems fair to me (IMHO) to make upper tier changes across the board...not for just one level.  

The Diamond level already took the hit a several years ago when they were kicked out of the CL. Too few Pinnies (see post# 768) to make an significant impact except for maybe a select cruise or two. That leaves the Diamond Plus Superior Extraordinaire Elite level to finally absorb some of the pain. Look at it another way, you had several years of having the benefit of CL access long after Diamonds were kicked out. 😊

18 hours ago, island lady said:

No biggie...as we are really enjoying just having a glass of wine on our balcony, and also sitting at the lovely SEEL bar.  Great conversations with other pax there.  

Looks like you are weathering the changes just fine and have adopted to the new normal nicely! Great attitude. 👍

16 minutes ago, STANMELB said:

Youngest was 9 years old. Entire family was Pinnacle. There were 6 if I remember correctly. I believe they were from South America. Met them at the Pinnacle Luncheon early 2018.

9 years old!  Wow.  Traveling on suites I guess.  Hard to imagine a 9 year old reaching 700 points, otherwise.

2 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

So you’re  suggesting limiting access to the CL for first hour of HH to Suites only. Open access after first seating to D+/P. 

IMHO that is not a manageable option.  We have been going to the lounges around 6 and then to My Time dinner at 7.  Never an issue getting a seat and service.  Seems to me the biggest problems occur when the lounges first open.

11 hours ago, Coralc said:

Some years ago, Diamonds were removed from the Concierge Lounge. We never were, because we were already Diamond Plus. And all these years later, we are still Diamond Plus, because there is a huge 500+ point spread before you make Pinnacle. All of these C&A Diamond Plus folks are trapped there unless they almost go out of their way to make the next level. Of course the loyalty level is glutted. We're not quite that dedicated and will continue vacationing and cruising at our own speed. :classic_biggrin:

Same for us.  We usually do 5-6 cruises each year but at least half of them are on Celebrity.  We meet people on Royal ships who talk about booking cruises just to get  to Pinnacle and seem surprised that we are so close but sailing on Celebrity.  We cruise just because we love to.

Sherri🙂

11 hours ago, actuarian said:

To Royal Caribbean's credit, they did increase the size of the overflow area.  However, the justification for reducing Diamond Plus perks has been that the C&A program is becoming "top heavy".  That would mean that the number of cruisers who are Diamond Plus is increasing significantly faster than the total number of cruisers is increasing.  Many people on these boards seem to think that is true.  However, I have never seen any evidence to support that assertion.

We only have access to the total numbers at each level.  Royal has access to so much more, like the number of cruisers that are on the cusp of moving up a level in the next 1-3 years and if their customers cruising patterns remain steady, they must see the tiers becoming top-heavy.  The only way that doesn't happen if there is a lot of one-and-done cruisers.

Look at it another way. On Twangster cruises, 20% of the passengers were in the top 3 tiers.  The only way for that percentage remains steady is if the other 80% do not cruise enough to make it to Diamond (and others stop cruising due to age). For many, that it probably true.  But Royal has access to C&A's cruising patterns and must be seeing a serious uptick in that trend and are preparing for the future.

17 minutes ago, Lady Hudson said:

IMHO that is not a manageable option.  We have been going to the lounges around 6 and then to My Time dinner at 7.  Never an issue getting a seat and service.  Seems to me the biggest problems occur when the lounges first open.

Concierge dings a bell at 30 minutes prior to HH and announces all but Suites must leave until an hour or so after HH starts.  Remaining guests must show SeaPass. Only Suites have access during this time. This ensures the majority of Suites have access and a seat if desired. Typically, what we see, many D+/P get to the lounge very early before HH. I have even seen them saving seats (chair hogs). I was sternly told by a D+ on a cruise that those seats were reserved. The group rotated the chair hog nightly.

Easy to manage  

Edited by Milwaukee Eight
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1