What is being done about coronavirus.....

Travelcat2

There is no dispute that N95 masks are effective in protecting the wearer. They have been used for that purpose in hospitals for years. However hospitals require annual fit testing with a special hood, and training. Additionally, if worn properly they require a lot of effort to use. Unless you have the training and have been fit tested they will likely give you a false since of security. If you have been fit tested and are wearing them appropriately you will remove them as soon as possible as they require a great deal of effort to breathe through. As I said before if you are that concerned about becoming infected, especially if you are in a high risk group, the prudent choice is to avoid crowds and reconsider travel that is not essential. That, I think, would include cruises.

Edited by Gray Eagle02
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Filter material can be measured is is objective. Fit quality has a measure of subjectivity to it I would imagine. Either way, I believe that wearing a properly fitting N99 mask that would never qualify for a medical use is both prudent and responsible.

Yes they make surgical masks with face shields. They are exceedingly annoying to use and may not be widely available to the public.  Again, if you are that concerned about becoming infected stay away from crowds, wash your hands and avoid nonessential travel. 

You have a far greater chance catching something by touching it and then putting your fingers into your mouth, nose or eyes...or so my friend a surgeon tells me. Respectfully to all, this is not the place to get medical advice.

• Like 1

So many questions. How does one keep hydrated and fed on a flight, especially a long one, while wearing a mask? I am not scheduled to travel until the fall so I am hoping things improve by then.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gray Eagle02 said:

Yes they make surgical masks with face shields. They are exceedingly annoying to use and may not be widely available to the public.  Again, if you are that concerned about becoming infected stay away from crowds, wash your hands and avoid nonessential travel. 

I purchased this from 3M last month for a third of the price but they will keep me from rubbing my eyes. https://www.amazon.com/3M-47031-WZ6-Eyeglass-Protectors-Resistant/dp/B00NO99LG8/ref=sr_1_11?keywords=3m+eye+protection&qid=1583172686&sr=8-11

Quite a bit of updated news. Dr. Anthony Fauci is now using the term pandemic as the virus is spreading quickly in the United States. The VP will be meeting with airline’s executives tomorrow (I believe) and cruise line executives on Saturday.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Best thing I've read lately about the use of masks.  Most important take-away, "...masks are designed to keep droplets in, not keep them out."  So they are designed to keep the wearer from infecting others:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tarahaelle/2020/02/29/no-you-do-not-need-face-masks-for-coronavirus-they-might-increase-your-infection-risk/#ec0897f676ca

If that is so why do doctors wear them?

4 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

If the WHO declares it a pandemic, it frees up a LOT of money for 3rd world nations to help them fight it. 

I hope that WHO will declare it a pandemic (for the reasons that you mentioned).   I have little to no hope that meetings in the U.S. will result in anything and am not a fan of the CDC (but do respect WHO).   

Emdee - So glad that you asked that question!  Supposedly (with a huge emphasis on that word), doctors and healthcare workers wear them to protect the patients from anything they (the doctor/nurses) have that they could pass on.  However, when I have asked whether family members that are caring for family members that are quarantined in their home need the mask, the response was ...... they won't do any good.

Obviously, there is no proof that they do or do not work (most U.S. news is just repeating what the CDC says .... kind of like little robots.).  The opinions from outside the U.S., in some cases, make a lot more sense.  

12 minutes ago, Emdee said:

If that is so why do doctors wear them?

I believe that the only way to stop people from ordering them is to tell them they don't work.  Our doctors do need them.  However, the testing shows that the common thin paper masks can stop 60% of Coronavirus, according to easily-available studies.  Two of these will give you a little more protection.  Using these does not deprive doctors of the N95 masks.  

When we generally apply these numbers we can predict that if everyone wore a paper mask in public we could reduce spread by 60 percent, generally speaking.  I feel that although the protection isn't perfect, it could help the epidemic greatly.  Maybe my math is off or I suppose there could be a shortage of paper masks.  But I think it would be beneficial for preventing spread if everyone wore them as they do in many countries.

For myself,  I have done a little research and if you have a few N95s from the hardware store lying around, you could use a light paper mask over it when you go out in public carefully removed and discarded before entering your home, which will keep the outside of the N95 mask clean which allows it to be reused.  I have a few so I would rotate them to be sure.  If I was on a long airplane ride, I would probably use a construction N95, a Vogmask or the one from Turkey with a paper mask over it.  Then a straw could be used if you pull the paper mask down half an inch to pinch around a straw which should allow you to drink an Ensure or Boost for hydration and nutrients.  Not easy or perfect but doable.

1 hour ago, kjbacon said:

Quite a bit of updated news. Dr. Anthony Fauci is now using the term pandemic as the virus is spreading quickly in the United States. The VP will be meeting with airline’s executives tomorrow (I believe) and cruise line executives on Saturday.

Just curious if you have a source that VP is meeting with cruiselines.  I haven't heard that. Thanks!

26 minutes ago, bbtondo said:

Just curious if you have a source that VP is meeting with cruiselines.  I haven't heard that. Thanks!

Saw it on one of the major news networks, we switch around, but here it is in an article from Swiss Info:

https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/pence-to-meet-airline-ceos--n-y--expects-new-cases--virus-update/45589408

1 hour ago, kjbacon said:

I saw that also, will be of interest as to what they say and do.

Edited by ronrick1943

The lower influenza mortality rate is more likely due to the number of people tested being much much higher than with COVID-19.  Even with thousands more deaths from influenza in the US, the rate has been reported as low as 0.1%, which means there have been millions of tests just in the US alone.  

I don't think we have any idea at the moment how many people in the US actually have COVID-19; as of early yesterday, only 445 people in the US had be tested (not just screened -- TESTED).  This is a rapidly changing dynamic as the criteria that triggers testing is changing and more test supplies are being produced/distributed.  As other countries start reporting the numbers of positive test results and respective mortality figures, we'll likely get a more accurate reading.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, ArtsyCraftsy said:

The lower influenza mortality rate is more likely due to the number of people tested being much much higher than with COVID-19.  Even with thousands more deaths from influenza in the US, the rate has been reported as low as 0.1%, which means there have been millions of tests just in the US alone.  

I don't think we have any idea at the moment how many people in the US actually have COVID-19; as of early yesterday, only 445 people in the US had be tested (not just screened -- TESTED).  This is a rapidly changing dynamic as the criteria that triggers testing is changing and more test supplies are being produced/distributed.  As other countries start reporting the numbers of positive test results and respective mortality figures, we'll likely get a more accurate reading.

At this point you must be fairly happy you're on a cruise ship navigating around the hot spots of this virus!

19 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

At this point you must be fairly happy you're on a cruise ship navigating around the hot spots of this virus!

I always love being on a cruise ship, especially this one, so this is fine.  And I don't really mind the changing itinerary -- most of the missed ports are included in the 2022 World Cruise itinerary, so I'll have another opportunity to visit them while on that trip.  But yes, keeping some distance between us and the hot spots is a good thing.

• Like 1