What is being done about coronavirus.....

Travelcat2

2 hours ago, ArtsyCraftsy said:

I always love being on a cruise ship, especially this one, so this is fine.  And I don't really mind the changing itinerary -- most of the missed ports are included in the 2022 World Cruise itinerary, so I'll have another opportunity to visit them while on that trip.  But yes, keeping some distance between us and the hot spots is a good thing.

Lana - just to let you know, Bellingham is still doing well.  I'm a bit surprised that, when I asked a 16 year old high school student if they are being told not to hug, shake hands, etc., the answer was "no".  We went to Boundary Bay for Happy Hour and it was more empty than usual.  I decided that I needed to start my disinfecting program somewhere so I wiped down the already clean table. Have to admit that I felt more comfortable.  

Feel better and continue to enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, pingpong1 said:

Hello Lana - I have been following your trip with interest and I'm mindful that you've been coping very well and keeping a positive attitude, despite some of the itinerary changes and your own health issues that you've been dealing with.  Good for you!  The itinerary change that is now taking you "clockwise" around South Australia and up the west coast is actually very "lucky" for you.  You will be seeing parts of that huge country that most travelers to "Oz" unfortunately, most often miss.

When you arrive in Albany, you'll be seeing a "special" little city were my mother and her many siblings (my Aunts & Uncles & cousins) were born.  ...

Hope you continue to have a great trip.  Wish I was sailing with you! Best Regards

Thanks!  I'm very happy with the new Australia ports -- the original Australia ports (up the east coast) will be repeated on the 2022 World Cruise, so I'll be able to see those at that time.  Eventually, I'd love to do a focused Australia/New Zealand extended cruise, not just a few stops along the way of a longer cruise, but focused exclusively on Australia/New Zealand.  So far, I haven't found one offered by Regent, but hope springs eternal ... 

I've already signed up for the "City Sights and ANZAC Centre" excursion in Albany, so as long as I can negotiate the tender, I'll be there bright and early on March 16.

They way I see it: I'm retired so I have a lot of free time.  I've found cruise travel to be a spectacularly suitable way for me to see the world.  And I've found Regent to offer me the best experience for my specific circumstances at a reasonable price.  Wherever they want to take me, I'm along for the ride.  It's all good.  

Lana

1 hour ago, ArtsyCraftsy said:

Thanks!  I'm very happy with the new Australia ports -- the original Australia ports (up the east coast) will be repeated on the 2022 World Cruise, so I'll be able to see those at that time.

By 2023 you'll probably have seen all the ports available to cruise ships, except may be Hobart on Tasmania. Enjoy this new itinerary; they don't usually offer it on world cruises. Going north and west to Darwin is more standard.

• Like 1

I just got this from Viking Cruises. It's the right thing to do. If only Regent  did the same for its customers.

Dear Viking Guest,

As you undoubtedly know, the coronavirus COVID-19 is causing concern in the general public and among those of us engaged in travel. At Viking, the safety and security of our guests and employees has always been our top priority. We have implemented enhanced health screening procedures for all guests and staff before boarding our vessels and everyone is required to complete a health care questionnaire before embarkation. We continue to reiterate the importance of individual hygiene, sanitizing and washing of hands.

We continue to monitor the COVID-19 situation closely including the travel advisories issued by the U.S. State Department and information updates issued by the Centers for Disease Control in the U.S. and the World Health Organization in Switzerland.

This is a situation that can change from day to day, and we can well understand that the decision of whether or not to travel may be weighing on your mind – particularly for those with imminent departures.

In view of this we are for the time being making a temporary exception to our cancellation policy so that you can be free to postpone your cruise at any time up until 24 hours before the planned departure, without incurring any cancellation fees. You will be issued a voucher for future travel valid for 24 months, which can be used on any Viking product (river, ocean or expedition). This temporary exception to our standard cancellation policy is applicable for all guests who currently have a reservation with Viking and for all new reservations made through April 30, 2020.

The temporary exception to our cancellation policy is as follows:

If you have flights arranged by Viking, it must be received at least 24 hours prior to the time of your flight's departure.

If you have arranged your own flights, it must be received at least 24 hours prior to the time of embarkation of the cruise or your hotel check-in, whichever is first.

• Notification of your intent to postpone your current cruise must be received as follows:
  • Cancelled reservations will be reimbursed in the form of a Future Cruise Voucher in the amount of 100% of all funds paid to Viking.
  • Future Cruise Vouchers may be used toward any future river, ocean or expedition cruise with Viking and will be valid for 24 months from issuance.

If you have any questions, please contact your Travel Advisor or Viking at 1-833-900-0951, Monday through Friday, 4:00 AM to 9:00 PM, and Saturday to Sunday, 5:00 AM to 7:00 PM, PT.

We hope you will choose to join us as planned. We will continue to update you on any changes in itineraries or circumstance that may be relevant. In the meantime, we hope that this temporary exception to our policy will help put your mind to ease.

Sincerely yours,

Richard Marnell
Executive Vice President

• Like 2

I've had zero emails or contact from Regent regarding my upcoming cruise to Venice except to remind me I need to fill out a health screening before I travel with them. Their website has very little and not up to date info on Corona virus with regards to the guests.

If Regent does not match this offer, I will never travel with them again. I'm sticking with Viking.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Lana - just to let you know, Bellingham is still doing well.  I'm a bit surprised that, when I asked a 16 year old high school student if they are being told not to hug, shake hands, etc., the answer was "no".  We went to Boundary Bay for Happy Hour and it was more empty than usual.  I decided that I needed to start my disinfecting program somewhere so I wiped down the already clean table. Have to admit that I felt more comfortable.  

Feel better and continue to enjoy your cruise!

Thanks -- I've tried to stay up-to-date on the developments in the Puget Sound area -- I just sold my Kenmore house (the one I lived in when I worked at Amazon -- it's located just a few miles north of Kirkland) last week, and I have a lot of friends down that way.

I'm surprised they're not advising more "hands off" stuff (shaking hands, etc.).  I'm totally in favor of taking whatever precautions seem reasonable and practical.

I think shipboard protocol has been fairly consistent for awhile now to avoid that kind of hand-to-hand contact due to other types of bugs.  Except for the few of us who developed this upper respiratory bug, the Mariner has been quite healthy so far since I boarded in SF in January, and everyone is working hard to keep it that way.  

6 hours ago, btreklaw said:

I've had zero emails or contact from Regent regarding my upcoming cruise to Venice except to remind me I need to fill out a health screening before I travel with them. Their website has very little and not up to date info on Corona virus with regards to the guests.

If Regent does not match this offer, I will never travel with them again. I'm sticking with Viking.

I also received this notification from Viking and was very impressed. Currently, we had a cruise booked with 2 cabins (90th birthday for my mother in law) in May with Regent that we cancelled last week and took the hefty penalty, a Regent cruise booked for December, a Viking Cruise booked for February 2021, and the Regent world cruise for January 2022. The only travel related contact I’ve received is this notification from Viking.

We are on Splendour next month and as yet have no communication whatsoever. Friends are booked with Cunard in May and also September, they were contacted re cancellation policies if they wished to take that option.    Jean.

If Regent are testing all new passengers and crew as they board and presumably refusing access to those that fail, in due course all on board all their ships could be virus free. This would only be the position if the test results were instantaneous and covered as well the possibility of harbouring the infection or being a carrier. How likely is this?

Edited by eliana

1 minute ago, eliana said:

If Regent are testing all new passengers and crew as they board and presumably refusing access to those that fail, in due course all on board all their ships should be virus free. Is this a likely position?

I don’t see how because no one is actually being tested. Their screening falls quite short of actual testing. Besides, crew and passengers get on and off the ship in the ports.

• Like 1

The neighbors who originally recommended Regent to me got the notice from Viking and are incredibly impressed by Viking's customer service (and business acumen).  The husband called me last night to 'take back' his Regent recommendation and to recommend Viking instead.  They also cancelled two upcoming Regent cruises for 2020 - with a note to Frank del Rio (is that the guy's name?) explaining how much they preferred Viking's approach. Yep, the husband was particularly upset about Regent last night LOL.

FWIW, this couple is on the Viking TA going to Barcelona later this week.  They're still going, although their adult children are not pleased at all, but the wife said it put her mind at so much ease to know they could have changed plans so easily.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eliana said:

If Regent are testing all new passengers and crew as they board and presumably refusing access to those that fail, in due course all on board all their ships could be virus free. This would only be the position if the test results were instantaneous and covered as well the possibility of harbouring the infection or being a carrier. How likely is this?

Not very. The virus seems to have an incubation period where the person may not even test as positive.

Just read the letter from Viking, letting all those who have booked a cruise and are thinking of cancelling an option of receiving a voucher for a future cruise within two years. Although we are not sailing until May we are getting very concerned as our Prime Minister has just announced that in the UK the number of cases is likely to reach epidemic levels. Are Regent likely to follow Viking's lead?

Edited by eliana

17 minutes ago, eliana said:

Just read the letter from Viking, letting all those who have booked a cruise and are thinking of cancelling an option of receiving a voucher for a future cruise within two years. Although we are not sailing until May we are getting very concerned as our Prime Minister has just announced that in the UK the number of cases is likely to reach epidemic levels. Are Regent likely to follow Viking's lead?

THey BETTER!  How can we pressure them via Social Media?  GIVE US OPTIONS!!!!!!!  My husband has hated our 2 prior cruises..Celebrity and maybe Princess.  He was PRESSURED to go on our 5/4 upcoming Regent Cruise by me....if I force him to go now (he is diabetic and fearful of being quarantined and has job to come home to) it will end in divorce court!  I was told REGENT was the best and Explorer is amazing....not impressed at all as of now.

(saw a headline on our local news that a fight broke out a a cruise ship as it was not allowed to dock due to a few sick people..)

22 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

NCLH can’t be as responsive as they have $10B in debt they need to service; however it would be nice if they at least let us know they have a plan. 

marc

Sure they can be responsive!  They'll have a much larger debt if they continue to drag their feet on this current situation. The bad "press" currently on the internet alone is hurting them big time.  I know I won't book with an NCL product again.

• Like 2

I am truly trying to understand posters perspectives (except for those discussing Viking as it is not a luxury cruise line).  Based on what Regent did for their passengers last month, it is difficult to understand why anyone would cancel and take a financial hit rather than wait and see if it is deemed necessary to cancel your cruise.  

If the World Health Organization cannot predict where this virus will be in April, May or beyond, how on earth is Regent suppose to know if they will be cancelling cruises?  I strongly agree that Regent should do updates on their website (even though it would likely say that they are continuing to monitor the situation and the recommendations from WHO and CDC).  

It appears that most people are pretty much holding their breaths - waiting to see what happens next.  Japan is taking major measures to control the spread of the virus but the Summer Olympics are still highly at risk of being cancelled.  Everyone involved in the Olympics (and people that plan to attend) are unsure as to what to do at this point.  I understand that this paragraph is a bit off topic from cruising, but is meant to remind us of how this virus is affecting the lives and plans of millions of people.

We will hopefully board Splendor next week and have not heard from Regent (nor did we expect to unless the cruise was going to be cancelled).  

Obviously, people are going to do what they think that need to do.  Perhaps I am just taken aback by some of the responses (wanting to retaliate against Regent???). 

To me, trying to stay safe and healthy is more important than anything.  I refuse to let fear drive my decisions.  

Just saw Pcardad post and agree 100%.

P.S.  Regent’s “debt” has nothing to do with this issue.  All cruise lines have debt - especially those with new/newer ships.  In my opinion, this issue, as well as what Viking is doing, is muddying the topic.  Would it not be more helpful to discuss Regent and what it is (or is not) doing and why?  

Edited by Travelcat2

I think what posters are saying is that Viking Cruise Lines, by temporarily changing their cancellation policy to allow for full FCC on cancellations up to 24-hours before a cruise, has put the decision of whether to cruise or not to cruise back into their customer's hands.  The possible COVID-19 scenarios are to numerous for any cruise line to address them all.  Viking took the "easy" way out by placing the decision process squarely back on the customer. 

The question is whether Regent will do the same?

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

I am truly trying to understand posters perspectives (except for those discussing Viking as it is not a luxury cruise line).  

What bearing does this have on the passenger’s option to cancel without penalty?

Based on what Regent did for their passengers last month, it is difficult to understand why anyone would cancel and take a financial hit rather than wait and see if it is deemed necessary to cancel your cruise.  

As I’ve stated several times, our May  cruise was to celebrate my lung compromised mother in law’s 90th birthday. We also have a daughter in the first tri of a high risk pregnancy. We are capable of deeming that cancellation necessary and we value each of those 3 lives to be much higher than the 50 percent that we lost.

Edited by kjbacon
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, mdunne48 said:

I think what posters are saying is that Viking Cruise Lines, by temporarily changing their cancellation policy to allow for full FCC on cancellations up to 24-hours before a cruise, has put the decision of whether to cruise or not to cruise back into their customer's hands.  The possible COVID-19 scenarios are to numerous for any cruise line to address them all.  Viking took the "easy" way out by placing the decision process squarely back on the customer. 

The question is whether Regent will do the same?

Have to agree, Viking Cruise Lines took a step above the rest--it's a great marketing took and they did it right.  Viking also have ships that sail the ocean.

• Like 1

We cruise two to three times a year, for the last few years invariably on Regent. We have another cruise booked on Regent, but unless they announce something soon and similar to Viking we are loathe to book another one  with them.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Travelcat2 said:

I am truly trying to understand posters perspectives (except for those discussing Viking as it is not a luxury cruise line).  Based on what Regent did for their passengers last month, it is difficult to understand why anyone would cancel and take a financial hit rather than wait and see if it is deemed necessary to cancel your cruise.  

If the World Health Organization cannot predict where this virus will be in April, May or beyond, how on earth is Regent suppose to know if they will be cancelling cruises?  I strongly agree that Regent should do updates on their website (even though it would likely say that they are continuing to monitor the situation and the recommendations from WHO and CDC).  

It appears that most people are pretty much holding their breaths - waiting to see what happens next.  Japan is taking major measures to control the spread of the virus but the Summer Olympics are still highly at risk of being cancelled.  Everyone involved in the Olympics (and people that plan to attend) are unsure as to what to do at this point.  I understand that this paragraph is a bit off topic from cruising, but is meant to remind us of how this virus is affecting the lives and plans of millions of people.

We will hopefully board Splendor next week and have not heard from Regent (nor did we expect to unless the cruise was going to be cancelled).  

Obviously, people are going to do what they think that need to do.  Perhaps I am just taken aback by some of the responses (wanting to retaliate against Regent???). 

To me, trying to stay safe and healthy is more important than anything.  I refuse to let fear drive my decisions.  

Just saw Pcardad post and agree 100%.

P.S.  Regent’s “debt” has nothing to do with this issue.  All cruise lines have debt - especially those with new/newer ships.  In my opinion, this issue, as well as what Viking is doing, is muddying the topic.  Would it not be more helpful to discuss Regent and what it is (or is not) doing and why?  

Jackie—

Viking’s move was considerate, smart and classy, and I don’t think it’s fair for you to be quite so dismissive of their actions. Also, you might want to take a look at their new fleet of expedition ships coming next year and reconsider your somewhat “set in stone” opinion that they’re not a luxury cruise line. 

That said, I’m not exactly sure why the fact that you consider Regent  to be higher end absolves them from stepping up and putting their passengers first in these difficult times for cruising. It’s crises like these that can really define a line’s management.

• Like 8