What is being done about coronavirus.....

Travelcat2

3 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Was just reading a Regent Facebook change from a person that sails both Regent and Viking Ocean.  They brought up a really good point that I forgot about:

"We are customers of both and Viking’s final payment policy is the most ridiculously onerous one we have ever encountered....we are on a Viking cruise in September 2021 for which we had to make the final payment in December 2019. Yep, ALL monies due 20 months before the cruise. By comparison, Regent’s final payments are due 90-120 days before a cruise. Viking’s final payment policy undoubtedly created a situation for Viking where NO ONE in their right mind would book a cruise with them in the next year and a half unless their cancellation policy was relaxed. Regent’s final payment/cancellation timelines and policies are far less onerous than Viking’s and that may be why they have not made any changes at this point.

This is not an argument as to whether Viking is right and Regent is wrong or vice versa. Rather, it’s just info that I think may be driving marketing decisions these companies are making in this environment.

Well this is one thing we can agree on! This policy was super annoying. But two things to remember. A) If you asked them to extend the date to six months prior to sailing, they always would. And B) It has since been discontinued. No more early final payment due dates.

Jackie, I’d be happy to debate Viking’s booking practices on another, more appropriate thread, but it’s not apropos to this discussion.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BarbarianPaul said:

I know it’s hard to admit, but Viking’s reaction truly deserves nothing but plaudits, not nitpicking.

This is not a nitpick.  On the surface, what Viking is doing is amazing.  However, they received full payment for their cruises 20 months in advance.  If people cancel, they have 24 months to use their FCC - while having the money that passengers paid in advance during all of this time.  

IF all things were equal (which they are not), I would prefer to get a refund PLUS a FCC from Regent than being able to cancel  and allowing Viking keep my money for up to "almost" 4 years.  While I was not criticizing Viking, I now see that what they are doing is more self-serving that it appeared on the surface.  

Paul, this is not about Regent vs. Viking.  It is about OUR money.  I would not pay for a cruise (in full) 20 months in advance of the cruise and certainly would not let them keep my money for up to an additional 24 months.

2 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

This is not a nitpick.  On the surface, what Viking is doing is amazing.  However, they received full payment for their cruises 20 months in advance.  If people cancel, they have 24 months to use their FCC - while having the money that passengers paid in advance during all of this time.  

IF all things were equal (which they are not), I would prefer to get a refund PLUS a FCC from Regent than being able to cancel  and allowing Viking keep my money for up to "almost" 4 years.  While I was not criticizing Viking, I now see that what they are doing is more self-serving that it appeared on the surface.  

Paul, this is not about Regent vs. Viking.  It is about OUR money.  I would not pay for a cruise (in full) 20 months in advance of the cruise and certainly would not let them keep my money for up to an additional 24 months.

Just a data point.  I’m booked on Viking for a WC starting 1/4/21.  Final payment is 6/15/20.  6 months prior to departure.

Mad

2 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Please. Such righteous indignation! Now you’re bending over backward to vilify Viking by somewhat incoherently attempting to conflate a good thing said cruise line is doing (in the face of a huge challenge to the industry), and a discontinued booking practice that any passenger could have avoided simply by asking to move the final payment date. As many did, myself included.

Sadly, I’m sure that if it was Regent’s policy, you’d be defending it just as whole heartedly. But can we please move on from this?

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, BarbarianPaul said:

Please. Such righteous indignation! Now you’re bending over backward to vilify Viking by somewhat incoherently attempting to conflate a good thing said cruise line is doing (in the face of a huge challenge to the industry), and a discontinued booking practice that any passenger could have avoided simply by asking to move the final payment date. As many did, myself included.

Sadly, I’m sure that if it was Regent’s policy, you’d be defending it just as whole heartedly. But can we please move on from this?

I am repeating what I read on the Regent Facebook page.  If it is incorrect, kindly advise what the policy is.  If someone tells me when he final payment is - that is the date that it is paid by.  It would not occur to me to ask to move the final payment date.  

30 minutes ago, MadMarine said:

Just a data point.  I’m booked on Viking for a WC starting 1/4/21.  Final payment is 6/15/20.  6 months prior to departure.

Mad

10 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

I am repeating what I read on the Regent Facebook page.  If it is incorrect, kindly advise what the policy is.  If someone tells me when he final payment is - that is the date that it is paid by.  It would not occur to me to ask to move the final payment date.  

Just to be clear, the final payment date I cited above was not negotiated and was the date published when I booked 5/1/19.

Mad

18 minutes ago, MadMarine said:

Just to be clear, the final payment date I cited above was not negotiated and was the date published when I booked 5/1/19.

Mad

In the interest of telling the truth (rather than  accepting what is posted on the Regent Facebook page as fact), I read this thread on CC https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2485751-final-payment-due/page/4/. It is a lot to read but the last couple pages should give you an idea of their policy.  

I find it difficult to follow as most people negotiate the terms at the time of booking.  Plus, it appears that Viking went to a final payment due date of 6 months prior to the cruise but subsequently changed it to one year.  

In my opinion, this is important and is related to what Viking is doing in response to the Coronavirus - a topic that has been brought up by multiple posters).  IF I understood it correctly, it seems that, if you cancel your cruise, you will receive a FCC that must be used within 24 months.  So, rather than Viking having your money for 44 months, it might 36 months (or less if your TA negotiates with Viking at the time your cruise is booked.)

Appreciate your input as this is not an easy policy to understand.  Hopefully, after this is clarified, Regent customers can decide for themselves if they prefer Viking’s policy, Regent’s policy or perhaps some other cruise lines policy.

P.S.  I understand that your experience is different than what I read on the CC thread but hopefully, you can clarify what seems to be discrepancies.

Edited by Travelcat2

7 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

In the interest of telling the truth (rather than  accepting what is posted on the Regent Facebook page as fact), I read this thread on CC https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2485751-final-payment-due/page/4/. It is a lot to read but the last couple pages should give you an idea of their policy.  

I find it difficult to follow as most people negotiate the terms at the time of booking.  Plus, it appears that Viking went to a final payment due date of 6 months prior to the cruise but subsequently changed it to one year.  

In my opinion, this is important and is related to what Viking is doing in response to the Coronavirus - a topic that has been brought up by multiple posters).  IF I understood it correctly, it seems that, if you cancel your cruise, you will receive a FCC that must be used within 24 months.  So, rather than Viking having your money for 44 months, it might 36 months (or less if your TA negotiates with Viking at the time your cruise is booked.)

Appreciate your input as this is not an easy policy to understand.  Hopefully, after this is clarified, Regent customers can decide for themselves if they prefer Viking’s policy, Regent’s policy or perhaps some other cruise lines policy.

Ok, so my understanding of your position is that Viking’s policy of issuing a credit for a cruise to be taken within two years is part of some machiavellian, self serving policy to hold on to their passengers’ money. Even if it means losing money by sailing half empty ships (from cruisers who have cancelled), losing new future bookings, and paying crew members to do less work by serving fewer passengers on upcoming cruises. No doubt about it...Torstein Hagen is an evil genius!

Personally, I think this new policy will clearly cost Viking in the short term, but benefit them in the long term with passenger goodwill. 

But why don’t we get back to talking about Regent, and move away from a complicated, pointless discussion of the booking practices of a cruise line in which you have zero interest in sailing. Regent is clearly not matching Viking’s response, but they’re doing something, right?

• Like 2

Wow! Sounds like some people may work for Regent. LOL  I wouldn't  pay for a cruise one year in advance.  I booked Viking over one year in advanced with a deposit of $500.  That's it. 

New CLIA Guidance:

US advises against nonessential travel to Italy, CLIA updates coronavirus protocols

Anne Kalosh | Mar 04, 2020

US health officials are now warning Americans against nonessential travel to Italy due to 'widespread community transmission' of coronavirus. 

The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention issued a Level 3 warning.

For some time, the US Department of State has also had in place a higher Level 4 warning not to travel to the Lombardy and Veneto regions, which have been quarantined.

A number of cruise lines have already been denying boarding to people who have traveled through those specific regions or had contact with anyone there. Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd ., for example, does not allow those who have traveled through Lombardy, Veneto and Emilia-Romana within the past 15 days. 

CLIA update

In its latest (March 4) update on coronavirus protocols, Cruise Lines International Association said member lines are denying boarding to anyone who has traveled from any municipality in Italy subject to quarantine by the country's Ministry of Foreign Affairs , within 14 days prior to embarkation.

This joins the existing 'deny boarding' policy to anyone who has traveled from, visited or transited via airports in South Korea, Iran and China, including Hong Kong and Macau, within 14 days of embarkation.

Illness screening guided by CDC information

Additionally, CLIA said lines will conduct illness screening for all persons who have traveled from, visited or transited via airports in any destinations listed on the US CDC 'Coronavirus Disease 2019 Information for Travel'  page within 14 days before embarkation.

Illness screening includes symptom history checks for fever, cough and difficulty breathing in the 14 days before embarkation and temperature-taking.

'With strict measures in place, as guided by national and international health authorities, CLIA and its member lines, in concert with pronouncements from the World Health Organization, do not believe restrictions on the movement of ships are justified,' the association added.

I don't want to hear fighting over Regent/Viking. My cruise is on Regent. 

So the CLIA is adding more countries/regions to the Do Not Board List.

When my cruise has 12 stops and we plan to be off the ship at each stop, how does one protect themselves from coming in contact with outside people who have been to these regions?  YOU CAN'T!  You can practice healthy habits abroad as at home...but my bottom line question, and only WE can answer is Are those RISKS worth taking?

I just wish Regent gave me some options other than just walking away.......I'd be happy to consider rebooking in the future...Guess it is just a waiting game.  Stay healthy and y'all enjoy your cruises!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bbtondo said:

Wow! Sounds like some people may work for Regent. LOL  I wouldn't  pay for a cruise one year in advance.  I booked Viking over one year in advanced with a deposit of $500.  That's it. 

My advice for any fellow cruisers who are impressed, as am I, with Viking’s response to the corona virus, and somewhat less impressed with Regent’s, and are considering cruising for the first time on either, is to go on the boards and read the impressions and opinions of folks who have actually sailed on both. Not sure why anyone who has not sailed on Viking would be so focused on vilifying them. Crazy!

31 minutes ago, BarbarianPaul said:

My advice for any fellow cruisers who are impressed, as am I, with Viking’s response to the corona virus, and somewhat less impressed with Regent’s, and are considering cruising for the first time on either, is to go on the boards and read the impressions and opinions of folks who have actually sailed on both. Not sure why anyone who has not sailed on Viking would be so focused on vilifying them. Crazy!

It is likely a good idea to drop this subject.  Let’s focus on Regent.

1 hour ago, lesliebe said:

I don't want to hear fighting over Regent/Viking. My cruise is on Regent. 

So the CLIA is adding more countries/regions to the Do Not Board List.

When my cruise has 12 stops and we plan to be off the ship at each stop, how does one protect themselves from coming in contact with outside people who have been to these regions?  YOU CAN'T!  You can practice healthy habits abroad as at home...but my bottom line question, and only WE can answer is Are those RISKS worth taking?

I just wish Regent gave me some options other than just walking away.......I'd be happy to consider rebooking in the future...Guess it is just a waiting game.  Stay healthy and y'all enjoy your cruises!

Agreed!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Travelcat2 said:

It is likely a good idea to drop this subject.  Let’s focus on Regent.

I agree that this topic has run its course.  But I really must comment on a couple of things,since I studied Viking policies closely last year when we were getting ready to book a world cruise.

12 hours ago, MadMarine said:

Mad

This was an exception to their usual payment rules, just for their world cruises (presumably because of the high cost, at least at the time.) 

15 hours ago, BarbarianPaul said:

Well this is one thing we can agree on! This policy was super annoying. But two things to remember. A) If you asked them to extend the date to six months prior to sailing, they always would. And B) It has since been discontinued. No more early final payment due dates.

And there was great discussion on the Viking board last year about how the company would no longer confer extensions to payment dates simply because someone asked.  I have no idea whether that new policy "stuck", since I lost interest once we booked the Regent WC for 2021.  I'm interested in what you say about the discontinuation, but agree this could be done in a different thread.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

All Italy schools and universities are closed until at least mid March. They are calling for all retired doctors to come back to work and accelerating nursing students credentials. They do not have enough doctors, nurses or hospital beds to respond to the crisis.

This is not a good sign for those of us on the Splendor for upcoming cruises through the Mediterranean.

COME ON REGENT! Give us all some options or update news!!!

• Like 1

Sorry for previous post...technical issues. With all the Viking talk, I’ve missed exactly what one’s options are with Regent should one decide after final payment date to postpone or reschedule their cruise due to the current situation. Assuming that one doesn’t have CFAR, are there any courtesies being extended, or is it business as usual?

I’m having problems with CLIA’s new update. The virus is now in many States and, according to local authorities, has probably been smoldering in Washington State for six weeks. Seems to me traveling through airports is problematic, especially since a significant number of the infected are asymptomatic. I suspect it’s just a matter of time before it’s everywhere in this country, including cruise ships. While the original prohibition of people travel through parts of Asia was prudent, I think this is rapidly being overtaken by events.