What is being done about coronavirus.....

Travelcat2

3 minutes ago, BBWC said:

I am having trouble posting the link, but the age restriction was proposed by the CLIA. The proposal states that no one over 70 will be allowed to board a cruise ship unless they have a doctor’s note that they are fit to travel, so not a complete ban.

Doubt that will work very well if accepted as doubt many doctors will take the risk  putting their approval in writing.  I can see the lawsuits now.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rallydave said:

Doubt that will work very well if accepted as doubt many doctors will take the risk  putting their approval in writing.  I can see the lawsuits now.

IMO, no reputable, ethical doctor would approve an at risk patient getting on a cruise ship now.  I've read about some patients kind of forgetting to mention their plans to travel, especially via ship, to their physicians.  Heck, my ob/gyn preemptively suggested to me, at my routine exam, to not hang around in crowds three weeks ago specifically due to the outbreak, and I'm 66 with Type 2 and otherwise pretty good. 

And, yeah, law suits as well.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

hmmmm.................. the 70+ MADE the cruise industry. 
If this happens, I will never take another cruise! 
I'm in my 50's and think this suggestion is outrageous and discriminating.  

2 minutes ago, Journey99999 said:

If it happens, it won't be the fault of the cruise industry. 

5 minutes ago, Journey99999 said:

IMO, it's the cruise industry grasping at the minimum they can do avert being shut down.  They're basing the age on mortality statistics we know to date on Covid 19.  In reality, they probably should have said 60 if they were using age as a basis.  

• Like 1

...and that releases the funds to under-developed countries to help fight the outbreak.

In 2017 the World Bank issued a pandemic bond designed to help fund the response to any widespread outbreak of a number of diseases, including coronavirus. The $320 million bond was part of a bigger $425 million risk transfer that included a concurrent $105 million swap with six reinsurance counterparties.

Full article: https://www.euromoney.com/article/b1klyqsykl0d0m/when-will-coronavirus-covid19-trigger-the-world-bank39s-pandemic-bond?copyrightInfo=true
Visit http://www.euromoney.com/reprints for additional distribution rights. For more articles like this, follow us @euromoney on Twitter.

• Like 1

Older people AND people with underlying conditions.  If you happen to be both, you won the double whammy. 

Cruise Lines International Association (CLIA) submitted a plan to Vice President Michael Pence proposing enhanced measures across the industry as coronavirus rages on, forcing two ships of passengers into quarantine and escalating fears on others. 

According to the proposal, boarding should be denied to any person over the age of 70 years unless they are able to present a doctor's note verifying their fitness for travel on a cruise ship, according to a person familiar with the situation but not authorized to speak publicly. 

Similarly, any person with a chronic medical condition who could be at an increased risk if they were to contract COVID-19 should be barred from getting on a cruise ship.

1 hour ago, BBWC said:

I am having trouble posting the link, but the age restriction was proposed by the CLIA. The proposal states that no one over 70 will be allowed to board a cruise ship unless they have a doctor’s note that they are fit to travel, so not a complete ban.

It's weird that no one seems to be pointing the finger at air travel as a huge culprit--travel in general is getting dangerous, and most of that has nothing to do with cruising.  If it hadn't have been for the Diamond Princess, I'm sure fingers would have been pointed elsewhere.  Except of course, I'm sure there's a huge airline industry lobby group in Washington to make sure that doesn't happen.  I for one wouldn't mind getting on a Regent ship right now, as long as I didn't have to fly or hang around in an airport.

53 minutes ago, Journey99999 said:

Why would you do that?  Such a rule would have nothing to do with the cruise industry itself.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

President met with airlines before Pence met with cruise ship lines.  Reports are lots of fighting between what the admin wants and what the airlines say they can do.  A lot of attention is being turned toward the airports, especially. Senator Durbin had some pointed words about airport screenings for the CDC of late.

That said, at least some air travel could be considered pretty essential, and for the most part people are only on planes or in airports for hours, not days.  I do agree that everyone should definitely consider whether they need to travel at all. So many businesses have banned any but the most essential air travel

I don't believe anyone would disagree that cruise travel is pretty much the definition of non-essential travel, has a huge customer base of exactly the demographic most at risk, and on return can pose enormous logistical issues if the virus has spread on board.  Even a small, deluxe cruise line carries what, 500+ souls at time? I don't see why anyone is surprised that a nonessential mode of travel is being scrutinized closely.

• Thanks 1

And the crew members who tested positive on Grand Princess were all over 70, right?

I find the ‘age’ approach rather irrelevant and not helping anything. The emphasis should be on hygiene plus avoiding close proximity/ crowds. That might mean everyone on a cruise ship, plane, at a movie theater, concert, theater, religious gatherings, schools,etc. ...irrespective of age. The best attempt at mitigation might mean quarantine in place for 14 days.....but the result on our economy would be mind boggling. 

3 minutes ago, PaulaJK said:

And the crew members who tested positive on Grand Princess were all over 70, right?

I find the ‘age’ approach rather irrelevant and not helping anything. The emphasis should be on hygiene plus avoiding close proximity/ crowds. That might mean everyone on a cruise ship, plane, at a movie theater, concert, theater, religious gatherings, schools,etc. ...irrespective of age. The best attempt at mitigation might mean quarantine in place for 14 days.....but the result on our economy would be mind boggling. 

This is why...and it makes perfect sense.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-age-sex-demographics/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Pcardad said:

One set - for all - the virus burns out in place. Or we can nickel and dime it and 1/3 of our population with get it with the undesired results.

Think about it.  I doubt it would work some simply as that.  First of all, as people became sick, they'd have to be treated.  In hospitals, presumably. Then their relatives or friends, or whoever they've been self-isolating with, they'd have to get re-tested.  Suddenly the 14-day clock would have to be re-set for them.  And for the health care workers doing the heavy lifting too.  You're not suggesting that we all adjourn to our respective caves for 14 days and let it "burn itself out", are you?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, PaulaJK said:

I find the ‘age’ approach rather irrelevant and not helping anything. 

Look at the data.  The mortality is much higher in seniors.  With no vaccine yet, no one has immunity.  Seniors, particularly those with underlying health issues, are at significant risk if infected.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1