What is being done about coronavirus.....

Travelcat2

Just now, Travelcat2 said:

"cats don't tell their age".  

Digressing - if a cat has 9 lives, how do you count their age - as a cumulative or start each time all over again? if this is the former, than you can have a cat who lives to celebrate 100 y.o. and get a card from HRM (if you are in Commonwealth) 🙂 

Just now, Kiwifromkiev said:

Digressing - if a cat has 9 lives, how do you count their age - as a cumulative or start each time all over again? if this is the former, than you can have a cat who lives to celebrate 100 y.o. and get a card from HRM (if you are in Commonwealth) 🙂 

Love the way that you think!😿

17 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

To be clear, I have NEVER stated my DH's age on CC (nor have I discussed his health).  I have posted that we at risk due to his age and my immune-compromised system.  I am horrified by this (and do know where the information came from and it was not from the poster but rather from a friend of the poster).  

P.S.  I did discuss his BIG birthday last year but did not state his age.  

Please, I know who you think provided that info. False!  When the birthday photos on your blog etc. came out, I was quite amazed at the age. I also complimented both of you, and I think your husband looks very fit and would have guessed he was between 70 and 80. I think he is adorable.

Now, let's talk about Elder Abuse!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, TrulyBlonde said:

Please, I know who you think provided that info. False!  When the birthday photos on your blog etc. came out, I was quite amazed at the age. I also complimented both of you, and I think your husband looks very fit and would have guessed he was between 70 and 80. I think he is adorable.

Now, let's talk about Elder Abuse!

I am sorry, I do not know you, TB, and neither I know TC2. However, somehow your posts about her and her DH appear to be  "backhanded" compliments. If you are genuinely concern and find TC2's DH "adorable" this is really a good time to stop.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Kiwifromkiev said:

This may be a good time to thank you for your posts.  In my opinion only, every time a "cat" beats the odds, their age resets:classic_biggrin: 

Actually, these posts are very off-topic.  While I remain upset, it is best to stick to the topic.  Again, thanks so much for the support that we are receiving.

• Like 1

The good news express just doesn't stop.

3 Port Everglades staff confirmed to have Covid.

https://www.fox13news.com/news/port-everglades-cruise-passengers-warned-after-employees-test-positive-for-coronavirus

I think it's going to just be a matter of time until cruises start getting outright cancelled. Europe is not looking good, Italy virtually under lockdown, Spain rumored to be next,  employees in Florida ports who meet and greet thousands of people,  yuck.

• Like 1

I'll be talking to the future cruise consultant, Eddie, tomorrow about staying onboard the Mariner at the end of the current World Cruise for the next cruise: San Francisco to Vancouver, June 4 - 17.  I live about 40 miles from Vancouver, and this way I can avoid having to deal with two airports plus two shuttle busses to get from San Francisco to Bellingham, WA, where the first confirmed COVID-19 case in Whatcom County was identified today.  I can take Amtrak from Vancouver to Bellingham.  I'm also planning to take my next Regent cruise:  a back-to-back Alaska cruise from Vancouver to Seward to Vancouver staring July 1, ending July 15.  

At this point, we still don't know where we're headed after Fremantle (Perth) on March 19, but I trust Regent to take care of us.  I've said it before: not all cruise lines/ships/itineraries are created equal.  There's a big difference between boarding a 2500-3500+-passenger ship that routinely takes 4- to10-day cruises with a lot of passenger "churn" and a history of recent visits to coronavirus hotspots, and a 700-passenger ship that routinely takes longer cruises and has no history over the past 6 months of attending ports that are in hotspot areas.  I feel safer here on the Mariner than I would at home.  

Everyone has to make their own decisions based on circumstances.  I've made mine.

Lana (currently anchored near Kangaroo Island, Australia)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, ArtsyCraftsy said:

I'll be talking to the future cruise consultant, Eddie, tomorrow about staying onboard the Mariner at the end of the current World Cruise for the next cruise: San Francisco to Vancouver, June 4 - 17.  I live about 40 miles from Vancouver, and this way I can avoid having to deal with two airports plus two shuttle busses to get from San Francisco to Bellingham, WA, where the first confirmed COVID-19 case in Whatcom County was identified today.  I can take Amtrak from Vancouver to Bellingham.  I'm also planning to take my next Regent cruise:  a back-to-back Alaska cruise from Vancouver to Seward to Vancouver staring July 1, ending July 15.  

At this point, we still don't know where we're headed after Fremantle (Perth) on March 19, but I trust Regent to take care of us.  I've said it before: not all cruise lines/ships/itineraries are created equal.  There's a big difference between boarding a 2500-3500+-passenger ship that routinely takes 4- to10-day cruises with a lot of passenger "churn" and a history of recent visits to coronavirus hotspots, and a 700-passenger ship that routinely takes longer cruises and has no history over the past 6 months of attending ports that are in hotspot areas.  I feel safer here on the Mariner than I would at home.  

Everyone has to make their own decisions based on circumstances.  I've made mine.

Lana (currently anchored near Kangaroo Island, Australia)

I am loving watching your journey.  We will be on the Vancouver to Seward portion of your Alaska cruise and are considering adding the return cruise to make a back-to-back as well.  I have to say your authenticity and thought process is very helpful as we make decisions.  Hope to see you on board in Alaska!

5 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

FYI, on CNBC the CLIA head implied restrictions on passengers over 70 are coming.  Also restrictions on health-challenged folks.

They are waiting for US government to sign on before announcing new measures.

Well that makes an easy decision for those of us over 70 who are scheduled to cruise in the next few months.  If the government says we are forbidden to travel doesn’t the cruise line have to refund our money?  This would be an even bigger hit for cruise lines like Regent because I suspect a large percentage of their passengers are over 70.

• Like 1

There have been rumors since the President and VP individually met with airlines and cruise lines that, if the industries could/would not self regulate to help slow the transmission of the virus, far stricter measures would be enacted.  Cruise lines especially deal with the exact demographic that have been found most at risk and IMO, in the public eye look like a vector of infection being taken back to the greater population and causing huge hits to  medical and other resources.  They had til Tuesday, yesterday, to shape up from what I've read.  Not sure the CLIA suggestions will be enough if port workers are being infected, even if the infection is not from a cruise line itself.  If I had a magic wand, I'd restrict port workers to dealing with commercial ships carrying goods and necessary items....not leisure travel needs.

Look at New Rochelle - as I understand it, when the town/county was unable/unwilling to help contain the source of multiple infections through strict, even draconian measures, the governor stepped in.  Or at least that's the way it looked to me.

And look at Italy and what happens when medical needs swamp medical resources.

I watched Pence’s new conference yesterday and he hinted about forcing the cruise industry to protect the most vulnerable, so I’m not surprised if it is to limit the age allowed on cruise ships. Based on the statistic published by WHO the mortality rate doubles every decade after 50. 

• Like 1

It is difficult to know how to go about one’s world...and each person has decisions and choices to make. I do hope that we do not get into a position that 60 or 70 y.o. are 

automatically excluded from anything. Most of our cases in N.J. are well below age 60.

NY also. For myself, it is becoming more and more difficult to find the line between hysterical reaction and reasonable caution.

Of note, Crystal has just cancelled the remainder of its WC w all disembarking in Perth.

They do not have corona on board but Mumbai is closed and Rome in question...their next 2 major ports..along w many countries they planned to visit.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, 1teach53 said:

We are on Splendor now, NO  small hand sanitizers given out. But great idea!,

The reason I ask was that several years ago when we were on a Regent cruise there were two, 2 ounce bottles of Germstar spray hand sanitizer in our suite.   They were great especially for shore excursions were no other sanitizers were available.

We liked the little Germstar bottles so much that when we got back home I immediately ordered more from Amazon and we have been using them ever since.  Of course, none are available at this time so I'm glad we had just reordered.

Providing these personal bottles again on board would be a good idea if Regent could find any.  

• Like 1

I am having trouble posting the link, but the age restriction was proposed by the CLIA. The proposal states that no one over 70 will be allowed to board a cruise ship unless they have a doctor’s note that they are fit to travel, so not a complete ban.