Coronavirus

Trend

3 hours ago, uktog said:

We have just checked with the provider of our annual travel insurance policy. When taking out the policy we declared a pre-existing but under control medical condition that is not one of the immediately listed conditions - hypertension. It is currently controlled by medication.  However our insurer has advised us even for a condition like this we should not travel and have suggested we contact our travel provider in the first instance and seek a refund. 
Sharing this as a red flag to UK travellers though probably relevant beyond these shores. 

One of us has a declared and accepted pre-existing condition of chronic bronchitis. This is right at the top of the list for those most vulnerable to COVID-19, so unless government advice changes before our October cruise we won’t be going and would expect a full refund.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Lottie A said:

Yes Ann, that’s a good point. I have currently returned to work temporarily giving out Covid-19 medical advice to our patients from a video link and phone at home. Our GP practice is just totally overwhelmed. 
Some of the queries today have been about “I am over 70 but healthy, so can I still go on my cruise in August or should I cancel” or “I am only 50 but I have asthma so should I cancel my cruise”?” Several more in a similar vein. 

The medical advice we are giving out on this difficult Friday 13th is NOT to travel if you are over 70 ....or if you have any pre existing medical condition that has required medication, clinical investigation,  surgery,  ongoing treatment or has caused a significant deterioration in your general health. I guess this covers the vast majority of the cruising demographic anyway. 
Such worrying and sad days for us all. 

Thank you for your service

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lottie A said:

Nordski plans in the U.K. are being drawn up for recently retired doctors, nurses and paramedics to be recalled to clinical practice if the NHS is unable to cope. I don’t think this event is far away. We have all been told that we may be required to work in areas outside of our medical experience. 
Personally I’m hoping for Obstetrics! 😄

Thanks for correcting my timeline on the potential recall.

And I do admire you for heeding the request for help from your practice.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, nordski said:

Thanks for correcting my timeline on the potential recall.

And I do admire you for heeding the request for help from your practice.

It’s the very least I can do nordski. 
Happy to help my overburdened colleagues in any way I can. 

For more information Celestyal have just cancelled all cruises until May and we have been told to expect an important announcement from P&O soon. Presumably this announcement would affect all the Carnival companies but no hint of what it is yet. 

• Like 1

Just received the following from the Israeli government:

”Reconsider travel to Israel and the West Bank due to travel restrictions and quarantine procedures instituted by the Government of Israel and the Palestinian Authority in response to the novel coronavirus (COVID-19). 

The Government of Israel announced that effective Thursday, March 12, 2020, at 20:00 (Israel time) foreign travelers, including U.S. citizens, arriving from any country will be required to remain in home quarantine until 14 days have passed since the date of entry into Israel.  Foreign travelers, including U.S. citizens, who wish to travel to Israel should request approval by contacting the Consular Department of the closest Israeli embassy or consulate five working days prior to the planned date of arrival with travel dates, flight information, and quarantine address.  According to the Israeli Ministry of Health, in exceptional cases, one may apply to enter upon arrival subject to proof of the ability to remain in home isolation for 14 days.  Travelers are not permitted to self-quarantine in a hotel or dormitory.  The quarantine requirement also applies to Israeli citizens and residents, including dual U.S.-Israeli citizens.  The Government of Israel is continually updating its travel restrictions and quarantine policies.”

Back to you, Azamara!

1 hour ago, Lottie A said:

For more information Celestyal have just cancelled all cruises until May and we have been told to expect an important announcement from P&O soon. Presumably this announcement would affect all the Carnival companies but no hint of what it is yet. 

I hope I would react with the same commitment to my colleagues. 

• Like 1

Significant development being reported from Canada

During that same news conference, ministers announced a series of other new measures to limit the spread of COVID-19:

• International flights will only be permitted to land at a smaller number of airports. Those locations have not yet been announced.
  • Boats and cruise ships carrying more than 500 people will be banned from docking at Canadian ports until July.
  • All travellers arriving in Canada from international points are being asked to self-isolate for 14 days as a precaution. People arriving from Hubei, China, Iran and Italy already have been asked to self-isolate.
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

One of us has a declared and accepted pre-existing condition of chronic bronchitis. This is right at the top of the list for those most vulnerable to COVID-19, so unless government advice changes before our October cruise we won’t be going and would expect a full refund.

Same here!

• Like 1

Helpful change from British Airways although accept only for those that can travel with them again in the next year

Booking with confidence

We fully understand that many of our customers want to change their travel plans given the evolving situation, so we have put a number of measures in place so that you can book with confidence with British Airways.

To allow greater flexibility, we are enabling customers to change their destination, date of travel, or both for free, on all new bookings made from Tuesday 3 March to Sunday 31 May 2020, as well as any existing bookings that depart up to Sunday 31 May 2020

9 hours ago, Beasty Bee said:

New announcement from RCCL: COVID-19 Health Screening and Boarding Protocols

Regardless of nationality, boarding will be denied to:

1. Any person who has traveled from, to or through mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau, Europe (for list of European countries see https://presscenter.rclcorporate.com/press-release/80/schengen-area-countries/), Iran, or South Korea 15 days prior to embarkation.

This means, as we are from Belgium, we are no longer allowed to board if Azamara applies the same rule.

If they won’t allow boarding for people from Europe, wouldn’t that also mean that all European ports would have to be excluded? That pretty much takes care of the whole summer season.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, uktog said:

Significant development being reported from Canada

During that same news conference, ministers announced a series of other new measures to limit the spread of COVID-19:

• International flights will only be permitted to land at a smaller number of airports. Those locations have not yet been announced.
  • Boats and cruise ships carrying more than 500 people will be banned from docking at Canadian ports until July.
  • All travellers arriving in Canada from international points are being asked to self-isolate for 14 days as a precaution. People arriving from Hubei, China, Iran and Italy already have been asked to self-isolate.

Also. the Federal health agency is advising Canadians to avoid foreign travel.

5 minutes ago, uktog said:

I think basically we are all grounded......

So do I.

I still find it unbelievable that Azamara have not given a reply or guidance on all the legitimate questions asked on here. Is everyone now expected to wait until next week to know whether their cruise is cancelled and what manner of refund they may get? The communication is appalling. 

I have now lost total confidence in them to do the “right thing” and think Larry P and Azamara management in general should be ashamed of themselves. The marvellous crew onboard the ships must be so worried and angry. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Lottie A said:

Hi Lottie. 

Followed your comments for many years. As potentially a beneficiary of your peers I greatly appreciate your help. 

Jim

6 minutes ago, Grandpa100 said:

Hi Lottie. 

Followed your comments for many years. As potentially a beneficiary of your peers I greatly appreciate your help. 

Jim

It's a time for everyone to do what they can Jim. We have just cancelled all routine surgery and procedures here to help the pressure on our NHS. It sadly won't be enough but it will help in the short term. 

I can actually comprehend the issue with excluding from Schengen in that it is impossible to check if someone had been in one of the most affected area, but ultimately it should be based on tests and symptoms. and this is where the industry may need to go. 

Further, how is the U.K. ok when there appears to be a policy of allowing 60% of the population to get infected and achieve herd immunity for a virus where it is not clear there is or to what extent there will be immunity ? 

Doesn't impact Azamara, I don't think, but here we go in the US:

https://www.royalcaribbeanpresscenter.com/press-release/1435/royal-caribbean-announces-voluntary-suspension-of-cruising/

ETA:  Just looked and saw the Pursuit voyage leaving from Miami on 4/5, so I assume that will fall under this suspension.

Edited by hiccups

Royal Caribbean has announced a suspension of 30 days FOR AMERICAN SAILINGS ONLY. And this on the day that the WHO announced that the epicentre of the epidemic is now in Europe.

While the statement is from Royal Caribbean Ltd there is no mention of either Celebrity or Azamara - maybe neither brand has American sailings.

i give up!

Edited by Spursgirl
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Spursgirl said:

Royal Caribbean has announced a suspension of 30 days FOR AMERICAN SAILINGS ONLY. And this on the day that the WHO announced that the epicentre of the epidemic is now in Europe.

While the statement is from Royal Caribbean Ltd there is no mention of either Celebrity or Azamara - maybe neither brand has American sailings.

i give up!

It's been posted on the Celebrity website now.  We're scheduled to sail on Celebrity Edge on 4/5, so I'll be awaiting a cancellation email.

https://www.celebritycruisespresscenter.com/press-release/1158/royal-caribbean-announces-voluntary-suspension-of-cruising/

Edited by hiccups

9 minutes ago, hiccups said:

Could somebody clarify term “ US sailings “?

I am on the Quest leaving Miami on 4/5 for the TA (probably to nowhere as European ports will be closed and return flights canceled....)

Does that mean this cruise is canceled and a refund is an option?

20 minutes ago, hiccups said:

Doesn't impact Azamara, I don't think, but here we go in the US:

https://www.royalcaribbeanpresscenter.com/press-release/1435/royal-caribbean-announces-voluntary-suspension-of-cruising/

ETA:  Just looked and saw the Pursuit voyage leaving from Miami on 4/5, so I assume that will fall under this suspension.

It states Royal Caribbean LTD and they are the parent for Celebrity and Azamara so it's safe to assume it does apply to Azamara. Currently only Pursuit is headed to the US, but seeing as Europe now appears to be a Covid-19 hotpot is also safe to assume that Journey and Quest will be affected. It would just be great if it was spelled out!  

Phil 

• Like 2