buy cruise ship or mega yacht?

luckyinpa

if you were mega wealthy, which would you want and why? for sake of argument use any existing publicly  available cruise ship from carnival up to regent and beyond. as far as private yachts, i have no clue what they are like so you'd have to enlighten me.

discount any issues with docking near your house or finding the right size port or any ancillary things and focus on the water vehicle itself. 

and yea id like one of each but if i had to choose i think id choose a mega cruise ship purely for the variety and selection of things to do. plus can take more friends 🙂

Either.... just  book the top suite on any ship for variety..... no running cost then.....

It like buy holiday home or rent one......

Mega wealthy... you can just bring it with you or buy it.....

Oh to dream......  Me just being able to go a trip without thinking of cost......

Cheers Don 

1 hour ago, mom says said:

Neither. No matter how rich I was, I wouldn't want the maintenance headaches. Just book the most luxurious suites on whatever ship is going where you want to go, and let someone else worry about the details.

If you have the money for a 300 to 600 foot yacht and a staff to run it, you have the money for other to manage all the details.  Set up correctly (and, of course, without regard to cost) you have far more flexibility and fewer things to worry about than when dealing with a TA or cruise line.

Sure certain equipment failures or weather might disrupt your trip, but that is the same as on a cruise.  And if things get bad, you just charter a different yacht while yours goes into drydock.

18 minutes ago, BlueRiband said:

BOAT =
Break

Out

Another

Thousand

But we are talking megayachts.  Breaking out a thousand won't even cover your wine for dinner!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, luckyinpa said:

...if i had to choose i think id choose a mega cruise ship purely for the variety and selection of things to do. plus can take more friends 

🙂

A “mega cruise ship” is something along the lines of Royal Caribbean’s Heffalump of the Seas - carrying, what 4,500 to 5,500 , passengers?

You have that many “friends” you’d want to spend a week or so with?

And, if theme parks are your thing, why not buy a theme park for the variety and selection of things to do?

Sounds like a dismal choice - sort of the worst of all possible worlds.

I can't really play by your criteria, as I am only interested in cruising as a means to go places -- so being able to dock/port in a lot of different locations, including smaller ones, would be important to me. Also, I feel it would be very wasteful to operate a huge cruise ship for the benefit of one person or even a group of family and friends.... So even if I was extraordinarily wealthy, it's not tempting.

On the other hand, I'd be delighted with a pied-a-terre in Rome, a small but well located apartment in Manhattan, and maybe a tiny cottage somewhere in SE England accessible to London. Oh, and a small elegant house in Posilippo (Naples) overlooking the Bay:    https://www.gate-away.com/property_detail.php?id=345491

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I can't really play by your criteria, as I am only interested in cruising as a means to go places -- so being able to dock/port in a lot of different locations, including smaller ones, would be important to me. Also, I feel it would be very wasteful to operate a huge cruise ship for the benefit of one person or even a group of family and friends.... So even if I was extraordinarily wealthy, it's not tempting.

On the other hand, I'd be delighted with a pied-a-terre in Rome, a small but well located apartment in Manhattan, and maybe a tiny cottage somewhere in SE England accessible to London. Oh, and a small elegant house in Posilippo (Naples) overlooking the Bay:    https://www.gate-away.com/property_detail.php?id=345491

I agree with you 100%. But could we also add a well appointed beach bungalow in Bora Bora?

I probably wouldn't buy either one. It could depend on your scenario though. I get it if you are a super recognizable face. You wouldn't be able to enjoy yourself with a bunch of other people, and the private ship would be better.

There's plenty of wealthy people on regular cruise ships, even the mass market lines. That is probably what I would do and do more of.

11 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Understandable selection of bases - I might add a beach cottage at Siasconset for that week or so in August when Rome, New York, Naples and, yes even Kent, might feel oppressive.

One other issue with owning, where is it and where do you want it to be.  You want to cruise the Med, but the ship is in the Far East.  It will take a while to get it moved.

Yeah, this is BEYOND a first world problem. 😄

If you want to know more about luxury yacht charters, look up the "reality" series "Below Decks."