Would we like Quantum class?

Heatherco

Have been toying with booking Anthem out of NJ to avoid airfare for five people.  We have always loved the Voyager and Freedom class ships and want to try an Oasis ship as well.  (Itineraries haven’t matched up for one of these yet.)

My parents also love Voyager and Freedom class and just got off Anthem.  This is the first cruise they came home and said they did not care for the ship.  They felt like there were too many cabins and missed the Royal Promenade.  They also did not like the overall layout at all.  They said it was just not one of their better cruises even though they had a wonderful time overall.

With their comments in mind, I’m wondering how others like the Quantum class compared to Voyager and Freedom class ships?  I know the ship is made for colder ports and has a different feel.  That being said,  which class do you like better?

I do take what my parents say with a grain of salt by the way, but just curious what others think.

I have taken a voyager class ship many years ago. And I have taken Oasis class. In 2018 we took the anthem out of bayonne. We also do not like that class of ship. It is just a personal preference. Felt very chopped up, and some public spaces too small. Others just never used. We liked the music hall, and 270 was nice to look at. But it gets old quick, especially when they use it for shows. The view is closed off. Well basically there is no view after dark. 

Oasis will be in bayonne this spring to fall. And we have jumped on this opportunity. Wish they would do this every year. 

That being said we drive past anthem to go to baltimore to cruise. We dislike quantum class that much. 

I think quantum class would be suited best for families with teens. 

4 minutes ago, suesnake2002 said:

I have taken a voyager class ship many years ago. And I have taken Oasis class. In 2018 we took the anthem out of bayonne. We also do not like that class of ship. It is just a personal preference. Felt very chopped up, and some public spaces too small. Others just never used. We liked the music hall, and 270 was nice to look at. But it gets old quick, especially when they use it for shows. The view is closed off. Well basically there is no view after dark. 

Oasis will be in bayonne this spring to fall. And we have jumped on this opportunity. Wish they would do this every year. 

That being said we drive past anthem to go to baltimore to cruise. We dislike quantum class that much. 

I think quantum class would be suited best for families with teens. 

Thanks so much!  “Chopped up” was exactly the words my parents used too.

We have always had an amazing time on any ship, but it can be expensive paying for five people so I want to try and make the best choice in choosing a ship.  

I did see Oasis coming.  I wish they would keep it there year round and offer some longer sailings like 9 nights.  We did a 9 night on Explorer one year from there and it was awesome having a few extra days.

I can understand the dislike for quantum class but they all have good points.

We just got of voyager and are on Ovation in 3 weeks.

I have been on Ovation 6 times and it’s got it’s good points mainly more entertainment and choices of food.The main bad point is to many people and at times like disembarking you really notice it.

Comparing voyager or explorer they are great ships but they just lack a few things.

Did your parents go to see We Will Rock You?  Best music I have heard on any ship.  Have done Mariner and Adventure, liked Anthem a little more.  Then again I like bumper cars.  If you are going to sail out of NJ the Anthem cruises have the best itineraries, much better than Canaveral & Bahamas cruises.

While I do agree with the “chopped up” reference and overall, there’s just something about the design that doesn’t do it for me, I really loved many things about Anthem. Specifically, 270 and it’s Cafe 270, the Music Hall as well as the way-above-average entertainment. I 100% agree with the We Will Rock You recommendation, which was amazing. 

I very much much like Radiance, Voyager and Freedom class ships, but Oasis class still does it for me, really delivering the “WOW!”  

Ellen

When I first went on Anthem I was a bit concerned, as you are.    The design for this class of ship is totally different than any other RCI ship.  They are specifically designed for cold weather cruising with an indoor pool in addition to the solarium.  

I was pleasantly surprised by the ship.  very rarely did I see crowds (usually as an event ends or there is a sale going on ).  Food was very good with many choices (hidden gem is the solarium bistro for dinner !!).  and there was always something going on.  Music was great (not only WWRY, but also the music hall shows and the 270 shows).  yes, it is a large ship and, yes, you will be putting on the steps !!  but, I thought it was worth it enough to sail her twice.   

BTW, Oasis class ships are not designed for cool or cold weather cruising so you won't see them in NJ year round.

Steve

• Like 1

We went on both Anthem and Ovation last year. They are definitely a different feel, but I really enjoyed them. I had read a lot about how crowded they feel, but other than right after muster (when *any* ship feels crowded IMO), and a few times when the sales were going on in the shops and I happened to be in that area, I didn’t feel that way.

• Like 1

Anthem of the Seas vs Oasis Class....Definitely go for Oasis Class as there is so much more to do and it has that open feel like the Voyager class. Anthem of the Seas just doesn't feel right to me...."closed in" may be the right word for it. It is still a beautiful ship and has great areas like Seaplex, 270, Music Hall, etc. But like others have said, it is a cold weather ship, so things may have been made to be "closed in" for that reason. 

I've always thought that the Anthem class design felt more like a hybrid of a Celebrity ship and a Royal Caribbean ship. 

Again, if it's between Anthem or Oasis class-- Oasis class all the way especially if you have kids.

• Like 1

@Heatherco

I am currently on the Anthem.  Everyone has a right to an opinion about specific ships or classes of ship, but I love all of the classes and have been on all  of them.  She does 7, 8, 9, 10 & 11 night itineraries.

The Anthem is a great ship.  There is SO MUCH to do.  Bumper cars.  Basketball and soccer indoors in the SeaPlex.  Trapeze classes.  Roller skating.  SImulated skydiving. (iFly).  Panoramic views (NorthStar).  Escape Room/Puzzle Room.  Virtual reality simulation game. Bars galore.  Lots of pools.  Fabulous solarium.  Great restaurants, both specialty and complimentary.  Two70 is A.MA.ZING.  Movies inside and out.  Shows every night in the Royal Theater and performances and shows in Two70.  Lots of trivia in several different venues, not all jammed up in the Schooner Bar. Very nice cabins with LOTS of storage.  Great crew who take good care of you and are very friendly.

By the way, it's called Two70 because it has 270 degree views.

• Like 3

On 1/31/2020 at 8:00 AM, Sail n Snow said:

We sailed Quantum of the Seas a few months ago and really enjoyed it. Never felt crowded and plenty to do.   Our kids enjoyed it as well.  Take a look at the photos Anthem of the Seas Photos to get a feel for the ship.  

Thank you so much, fabulous photos indeed.   Were are on her next month for the 1st time and 1st time also on Quantum class also.

We do prefer the Oasis Class but we are 15 minutes from Cape Liberty so that’s where we go.  Anthem, however, is a great ship with much to do.  The Solarium is a great adult only area.  It’s design is a bit choppy but once you get used to it you will enjoy it.  Food is good, service awesome.  The rooms are nicely designed.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SConnolly said:

Thank you so much, fabulous photos indeed.   Were are on her next month for the 1st time and 1st time also on Quantum class also.

You're going to love the Anthem. I think many people miss the Royal Promenade that runs the length of the ship but Anthem has a mini-Royal Promenade (Royal Esplanade) that connects with The Way so the two combined run the length of the ship. Sure, theres got a slight dog leg type curve to wrap around the English Pub but I wouldn't call it "chopped up". Besides, all of the Royal Promenade favorites are still there: Sorrento's, Cafe Promenade, Schooner bar, English Pub, Boloero's, etc.  Cafe 270 is has a similar menu to Park Cafe.

As for Anthem being too encloses, the same can be said for Oasis (a class of ships which I love). Sure, Central Park is technically outdoors and if you look straight up you can see sky. But you are sill surrounded y 4 walls.  Boardwalk is surrounded by 3 walls but if you squint and look past the abyss water slide and Aqua Theater, you can almost, kinda see the ocean.  As for outdoor area, they are comparable.

Areas where I think Anthem is superior to Oasis: better Solarium, Sea-Plex beats Boardwalk for entertainment, Music Hall (which is being incorporated into Oasis) is a great bar/music venue with pool tables,  the 270 lounge is an impressive lounge day or night, you can buy food in the English Pub, and outdoor seating area in the Windjammer.  If I think long enough, I can probably come up with a few more.

The only thing missing from Anthem that Oasis has is the ice rink (which is used for one show per cruise) and the outdoor, wraparound Promenade deck.

Enjoy your cruise and let us know how you liked the ship.

• Like 1

Freedom and Voyager class were our favorites until we tried Anthem.  She's right up there for us now as well.  Royal Esplanade is similar to Promenade.  Very elegant ship, never felt chopped up to us.  Decor is more Celebrity style which we love.  Much prefer over Oasis class.  Just my opinion.

We love Anthem and didn't like Oasis.  Love the bumper cars and 270.  Oasis WJ too small.  Had to wait on line to even get in a couple of days. Took 2 days to find fresh made to order omelets as they are not in WJ.  Not a ship for winter sailings out of NY/NJ

On 2/1/2020 at 8:23 AM, Heatherco said:

Thanks for all your input everyone!  Very much appreciated!  Will probably wind up trying Anthem.  We always have a great time, so I’m sure we would on this ship as well.  

Good choice! Give her a try...You never know. I prefer Anthem to Oasis, Freedom, & Voyager class ships! Loved 270 & the Music Hall most. Virtually impossible to ever get bored & great food options.  

• Like 1