Diamond Princess passenger "tested positive for Wuhan coronavirus"

gvre

3 minutes ago, npcl said:

The tsunami victims where not in quarantine.  But if you want Japan to set up a tent city, kind of like a refugee camp and let all of them off the ship to that, I am quite sure that they could do it.  Not a good idea but they could do it.

Think of Princess as a common carrier.  When they land at Japanese port, Japanese government should quarantine their own people somewhere of their own choosing.  

When US citizens come back from China, they are being quarantined.  The same thing should apply here.  

3000 people is not 30k people.  It is doable.  Now they have a bigger problem.  135+ and counting to deal with.  

As for those who kept on harping on that it puts bus drivers at risk.  Well, I suppose handling 135+ actually infected and actively spreading isn't risky.  They still don't get that those bus drivers still have to handle them anyway.   

9 minutes ago, ed01106 said:

Ten days.  Quarantine on ship scheduled to last 14.  So build a hospital to move them for four days.  Really? 

Are you saying Japan cannot handle 3000 cases?  What kind of third world do you think Japan is?  

Wuhan is a second tier city in china and they were able to handle thousands of cases before starting to build pop up hospitals. 

1 minute ago, kent9xxx1 said:

Are you saying Japan cannot handle 3000 cases?  What kind of third world do you think Japan is?  

Wuhan is a second tier city in china and they were able to handle thousands of cases before starting to build pop up hospitals. 

I would prefer an inside cabin with only my loved ones, to an oxygen tank in a make-shift hospital ward.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, kent9xxx1 said:

Think of Princess as a common carrier.  When they land at Japanese port, Japanese government should quarantine their own people somewhere of their own choosing.  

When US citizens come back from China, they are being quarantined.  The same thing should apply here.  

3000 people is not 30k people.  It is doable.  Now they have a bigger problem.  135+ and counting to deal with.  

As for those who kept on harping on that it puts bus drivers at risk.  Well, I suppose handling 135+ actually infected and actively spreading isn't risky.  They still don't get that those bus drivers still have to handle them anyway.   

Could be worse there could be 135 cases flying all over the world. However, on the ship or off there still would have been 135 cases  and most likely more since we are still within the incubation window prior to the quarantine.

Edited by npcl
  • Like 2

Just now, Kmkub said:

I would prefer an inside cabin with only my loved ones, to an oxygen tank in a make-shift hospital ward.

You can stay on the ship and get quarantined on the ship.  I'm off that ship the moment it docks.  🙂  I rather get quarantined on land. 

4 minutes ago, kent9xxx1 said:

Lets Wuhan where they were lining up cases in rows in beds in hallways, converted gymnasiums, etc.  Yep that is exactly what I would want - NOT.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kent9xxx1 said:

You can stay on the ship and get quarantined on the ship.  I'm off that ship the moment it docks.  🙂  I rather get quarantined on land. 

Good thing your not on the ship because you wouldn't have a choice.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, kent9xxx1 said:

I am sure there are plenty of people who would prefer that.  But the Japanese minister of health’s job is to do what is best for the whole of Japan.  And that is leave everyone in place.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, npcl said:

Could be worse there could be 135 cases flying all over the world. 

That is beside the point.  Some people still think these 135 cases must be walking off the ship themselves, hailing their own taxi and going to the hospital of their own choosing.  Absolute no risk to anyone else on land.  

Just now, kent9xxx1 said:

That is beside the point.  Some people still think these 135 cases must be walking off the ship themselves, hailing their own taxi and going to the hospital of their own choosing.  Absolute no risk to anyone else on land.  

Actually slight risk, large consumer of hospital resources, not no risk.  If it was no risk you would not be seeing specially equipped abulances and personnel all in medical hazmat suits.

30 minutes ago, kent9xxx1 said:

not wrong?  Did thousands get exposed when handling the cases on land?  Did they all go into quarantine because they handled them?  

I stand with my comment that the poster is not wrong. And yes, thousands are exposed. A thousand people isn’t that many when you consider day to day activities.  For example, a handler that is exposed might be on the subway going home after working all day amongst the masses. 
You probably need to be told this so understand being exposed doesn’t mean you’ve contacted the virus, but you may have, therefore... thousands!

Glenn

Edited by Grburkart

5 minutes ago, kent9xxx1 said:

I guess you don't understand how quarantine's work. The people being quarantined don't have a vote.

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, npcl said:

Lets Wuhan where they were lining up cases in rows in beds in hallways, converted gymnasiums, etc.  Yep that is exactly what I would want - NOT.

What?  Wuhan was handling thousands in actual hospital before going to other venues.

Japan can absolutely handle that many people without converting gymnasiums.  Are you saying they have no bed at all?  

Just now, Grburkart said:

I stand with my comment that the poster is not wrong. And yes, thousands are exposed. A thousand people isn’t that many when you consider day to day activities.  For example, a handler that is exposed might be on the subway going home after working all day amongst the masses. 
You probably need to be told this so understand being exposed doesn’t mean you’ve contacted the virus, but you may have, therefore... thousands!

So handling 135+ active cases exposed thousands?  So what's the difference here?  You probably need to be told this.  End result is the same, these people are going off the ship with personel dealing with them one by one, risking the same exposure.  So yes, poster is wrong for worrying about something that will happen sooner or later.  So it is a non-concern.  

3 minutes ago, kent9xxx1 said:

What?  Wuhan was handling thousands in actual hospital before going to other venues.

Japan can absolutely handle that many people without converting gymnasiums.  Are you saying they have no bed at all?  

If you look at pictures from Wuhan, the early pictures of the hospitals had beds lined up in the hallways. With the patients wearing masks, but no other isolation.  Why do you think they started building emergency hospitals as soon as they did.  They had no place to put patients.

Edited by npcl

3 minutes ago, npcl said:

If you look at pictures from Wuhan, the early pictures of the hospitals had beds lined up in the hallways. With the patients wearing masks, but no other isolation.  Why do you think they started building emergency hospitals as soon as they did.  They had no place to put patients.

That's because Wuhan had many more cases than what we are talking about here.  And do you believe Chinese official figures early on? 

there is an American live streaming from the ship...watched a bit of it....sorry but this quarantine is a bit bizarre. This couple has opened the balcony to their neighbors and they  all pass back and forth no masks...no nothing.  Also they are out talking to other neighbors who are close enough to get on the video...lots of them...sorry but I would not assume the others don't have it.  

3 minutes ago, kathy49 said:

there is an American live streaming from the ship...watched a bit of it....sorry but this quarantine is a bit bizarre. This couple has opened the balcony to their neighbors and they  all pass back and forth no masks...no nothing.  Also they are out talking to other neighbors who are close enough to get on the video...lots of them...sorry but I would not assume the others don't have it.  

Passengers don't have the ability to open the balcony. The room stewards do that upon agreement from all cabins, usually one day 1 of the cruise. Maybe they got guidance that it was okay to leave those open for those travelling together. I doubt they forgot, but I guess that is also possible.

1 minute ago, ed01106 said:

The largest hospital in Japan has less than 1000 beds.

And most of them, no doubt, are already occupied!  The Japanese have not stopped having heart attacks, accidents, surgeries, babies, etc.

8 minutes ago, kathy49 said:

Can you tell me how to find this?  Hubby and I have been watching the live-streaming of the British couple. But would like to hear someone else.  

10 minutes ago, Kmkub said:

Passengers don't have the ability to open the balcony. The room stewards do that upon agreement from all cabins, usually one day 1 of the cruise. Maybe they got guidance that it was okay to leave those open for those travelling together. I doubt they forgot, but I guess that is also possible.

i am sure it was there for the entire cruise and doubt with everything happening the crew thought about it again...to each their own but friends or no friends I would keep my exposure to my husband...period.