Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
gvre

Diamond Princess passenger "tested positive for Wuhan coronavirus"

Recommended Posts

The transcript of the US State call debriefing the recent evacuation process.

 

https://www.state.gov/on-the-repatriation-of-u-s-citizens-from-the-princess-diamond-cruise-ship/
 

Highlights of the call include:

  • This evacuation has been preplanned between US and Japan for such scenarios over the last 18 months (!?)
  • It was the NSC that actually gave the initial approval to evacuate (not State or CDC)
  • The flow of air on these 747 cargo planes was used in carefully positioning crew, passengers and isolation pods
  • The passengers were already considered "evacuees" when the +ve results were received as they had already departed the ship, so the process to keep them in the process (and boarded to the isolation units on the planes) was considered the best interpretation of the pre-planned protocol
  • Sixty-one (61) US citizens remain on Diamond Princess
  • The Japanese testing process is very attentive to and concerned about accuracy and detail, and hence quite slow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Princess update posted above says they are bringing in an outside food service. finally  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I realize there's been a lot posted here about Americans who've left on the US evacuation flights, and those who elected to stay aboard.  I, for one, will never, ever question their decisions. Everyone was wholly responsible for their decision, and I hope and pray that it will ultimately work out for them all.

In my world though?  IF my spouse was in a foreign hospital?  There would be no way, no way, no WAY that I would leave that country without him.  Period. The thought of being 1000's of miles from my husband would put me over the edge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ceilidh1 said:

Just read that one of the 14 who tested positive from the evacuees was Carl from the KHTS Radio station. So sad. He is in Nebraska and his wide is in isolation. Their FB page for anyone that has FB:

 

https://www.facebook.com/jeri.serattigoldman

 

Correction: I'm not sure if he has tested positive for the virus. Conflicting reports. He had a fever and was put into isolation on the flight and they were taken to Nebraska rather than Travis Airforce Base

Carl Goldman tested positive for the coronavirus

He and his wife are in separate isolation at Uni of Nebraska Medical Centre Hospital.

www.hometownstation.com

Sad to learn of this.  I hope Carl makes a good recovery and his wife Jeri continues to be tested negative.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ceilidh1 said:

While this is great to hear, it makes me question what that means for those still on the ship. They are still being told by Japanese Health officials that their quarantine ends on the 19th. I find it hard to believe that they would go to this much effort with new meal prep if they honestly thought everyone would be getting off the ship in another day....

 

 

The crew will probably have to go into quarantine once all the passengers are off the ship, so no-one will be able to prepare or serve meals. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Carl Goldman tested positive for the coronavirus

He and his wife are in separate isolation at Uni of Nebraska Medical Centre Hospital.

www.hometownstation.com

Sad to learn of this.  I hope Carl makes a good recovery and his wife Jeri continues to be tested negative.

Thanks for the update, I feared this was the case but there seemed to be some reports that it was just a fever. So sad. I had been following a few passengers on social media and one by one they seem to have succumbed to the virus. The only ones so far that have not are David and Sally Abel!

 

By the way, for those that do not follow the Abels, their latest You Tube blog mentioned that there have been staff outside in the halls taping over the floor vents today.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

The crew will probably have to go into quarantine once all the passengers are off the ship, so no-one will be able to prepare or serve meals. 

Good point - I had assumed they would be quarantined off the ship, but maybe the food service is because they will remain onboard for 2 weeks? Japan press is still reporting that the quarantine ends on the 19th and passengers will start too leave the ship if tested negative....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, zonacruiser25 said:

I have never seen a post about what a skeleton crew would be for a cruise ship.  I know a ship is a "living" thing and as far as I know is never completely shut down.  I imagine at a minimum there would be an engineering crew and I guess the hotel could go dormant.  Anyone have any information on this?  

Probably engineering crew, officers, and enough housekeeping and food and beverage crew to cater to everyone left onboard. It would be interesting to learn how many crew members are required for a skeleton crew on a ship that size.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

Thanks for the update, I feared this was the case but there seemed to be some reports that it was just a fever. So sad. I had been following a few passengers on social media and one by one they seem to have succumbed to the virus. The only ones so far that have not are David and Sally Abel!

 

By the way, for those that do not follow the Abels, their latest You Tube blog mentioned that there have been staff outside in the halls taping over the floor vents today.....

I have been following Carl and Jeri's well written reports through their website, so was checking to see whether they arrived home safely.  Seems Carl got a fever on the plane on the way home and was one of the passengers who were put in isolation on the plane.  It is not totally surprising because their friend, who they shared their balconies and cabins with, was tested positive and was taken off the ship to hospital.  The husband was going home with them, but I haven't heard whether he got home safely.  Can you imagine being in a foreign country in isolation, separated from your husband, who then has to decide whether to fly home without you?

 

WOW staff taping over the floor vents says there is more to the story about the number of passengers isolated on the ship who caught the virus.  Now the biggest number outside China!

I hope David and Sally don't get the virus.

Edited by MMDown Under

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MMDown Under said:

I have been following Carl and Jeri's well written reports through their website, so was checking to see whether they arrived home safely.  Seems Carl got a fever on the plane on the way home and was one of the passengers who were put in isolation on the plane.  It is not totally surprising because their friend, who they shared their balconies and cabins with, was tested positive and was taken off the ship to hospital.  The husband was going home with them, but I haven't heard whether he got home safely.  Can you imagine being in a foreign country in isolation, separated from your husband, who then has to decide whether to fly home without you?

Yes, Mark (the other Jerri's husband) is at Travis. He posted a few live videos on his FB page. His room is huge and he is in good spirits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

Yes, Mark (the other Jerri's husband) is at Travis. He posted a few live videos on his FB page. His room is huge and he is in good spirits.

Sounds like good news.  Where is Travis?  Is that just in isolation like everyone else on the flight home to Canada.?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

 

WOW staff taping over the floor vents says there is more to the story about the number of passengers isolated on the ship who caught the virus.  Now the biggest number outside China!

I hope David and Sally don't get the virus.

 

It is so hard to believe that presumably someone at Princess or its shipbuilders knew this posed a danger for 2 weeks and are just now getting around to taping off vents...but I guess you can't rule anything out.  Hope all the passengers that remain behind are safe. 

Edited by JennAngel9
an errant apostrophe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MMDown Under said:

Sounds like good news.  Where is Travis?  Is that just in isolation like everyone else on the flight home to Canada.?

Travis Air Force Base in California.

So far, only the Americans are out. We are still waiting on the Canadians coming home!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ceilidh1 said:

Travis Air Force Base in California.

So far, only the Americans are out. We are still waiting on the Canadians coming home!

That's right, I forgot it was only the Americans who were evacuated from the ship.  

Australia is bringing the Kiwis with them, but there are only 11.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

I have been following Carl and Jeri's well written reports through their website, so was checking to see whether they arrived home safely.  Seems Carl got a fever on the plane on the way home and was one of the passengers who were put in isolation on the plane.  It is not totally surprising because their friend, who they shared their balconies and cabins with, was tested positive and was taken off the ship to hospital.  The husband was going home with them, but I haven't heard whether he got home safely.  Can you imagine being in a foreign country in isolation, separated from your husband, who then has to decide whether to fly home without you?

 

WOW staff taping over the floor vents says there is more to the story about the number of passengers isolated on the ship who caught the virus.  Now the biggest number outside China!

I hope David and Sally don't get the virus.

Looks like they got it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, JennAngel9 said:

 

It is so hard to believe that presumably someone at Princess or its shipbuilders knew this posed a danger for 2 weeks and are just now getting around to taping off vents...but I guess you can't rule anything out.  Hope all the passengers that remain behind are safe. 

If people kept their balcony doors shut there wouldn't be a problem. The cabins are normally kept at a slight overpressure so that air from the hallways doesn't enter the cabin. If the balcony door is open air will enter the cabin from the hallways.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

If people kept their balcony doors shut there wouldn't be a problem. The cabins are normally kept at a slight overpressure so that air from the hallways doesn't enter the cabin. If the balcony door is open air will enter the cabin from the hallways.

I've always wondered why it feels like there's a hurricane ripping through our stateroom if both cabin doors and balcony are open at the same time.... it seemed particularly intense last month on the Regal Princess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, billxinli said:

I just saw his face book post.

I just saw it too.

Heartbreaking

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, billxinli said:

I just saw his face book post.

Oh no.  I just looked it up.  So terribly sad.  Each case is tragic but he is the only passenger I've (figuratively) spent hours with... he & Sally almost feel like family.  Saying prayers for both of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JennAngel9 said:

Oh no.  I just looked it up.  So terribly sad.  Each case is tragic but he is the only passenger I've (figuratively) spent hours with... he & Sally almost feel like family.  Saying prayers for both of them.

I mentioned this earlier - I followed a few couples on social media and they have all contracted it. So heartbreaking. I am now praying Yardley Wong (who is in an inside cabin with a child) doesn't succumb....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very sad for David and Sally. I hope they take them both to the same medical facility.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ceilidh1 said:

While this is great to hear, it makes me question what that means for those still on the ship. They are still being told by Japanese Health officials that their quarantine ends on the 19th. I find it hard to believe that they would go to this much effort with new meal prep if they honestly thought everyone would be getting off the ship in another day....

 

 

 

The crew will still be on board for at least two weeks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance w/ Steve Dasseos of the TripInsuranceStore.com June 2020
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...