Diamond Princess under quarantine in Yokohama due to coronavirus concerns

36 minutes ago, NSWP said:

I would prefer to be in 14 day quarantine on Diamond Princess in Yokohama, rather that quarantined on Christmas Island in that 3rd world accommodation.

Good luck to those on the Diamond.  Everyone from the Captain down would be affected.  It would appear from other sources that the pax are not being fed for fear of the virus being in shipboard food. Bad situation.

The passenger who posted a video complaining that it was 11.30am and he had not received any food, has since received breakfast and lunch.

He said he was told there was concern that the virus might be in the shipboard food. It occurs to me that there are some foods that would be totally safe - small containers of yoghurt, boiled eggs, boiled potatoes and tinned food. Although a boiled egg and a boiled potato wouldn't be a very tasty meal, it would keep a person alive and (in the case of the man in the video) prevent him going into a diabetic coma.

44 minutes ago, NSWP said:

I would prefer to be in 14 day quarantine on Diamond Princess in Yokohama, rather that quarantined on Christmas Island in that 3rd world accommodation.

Good luck to those on the Diamond.  Everyone from the Captain down would be affected.  It would appear from other sources that the pax are not being fed for fear of the virus being in shipboard food. Bad situation.

Just to be clear it's first world accommodation but it was designed for detainees/prisoners and being in quarantine (confined to the cabin) would be dreadful.

47 minutes ago, NSWP said:

I was going to say exactly that. Though NZ's mercy flight out of Wuhan just landed in Akl - not sure if the Aussies on board will be taken to our qarantine station - which is a rather nice part of Northland a few hours north of Auckland - on the beach - or whether we will deport them to Christmas Isl 🙂

4 minutes ago, lissie said:

I was going to say exactly that. Though NZ's mercy flight out of Wuhan just landed in Akl - not sure if the Aussies on board will be taken to our qarantine station - which is a rather nice part of Northland a few hours north of Auckland - on the beach - or whether we will deport them to Christmas Isl 🙂

It’s a leadership training centre for the Army ,with all the very latest amenities . The evacuees will be hosted for their quarantine in a fleet of camper vans .

Heres a pic from this mornings Herald 

44AC53A7-7DB6-4019-8118-4E8D54B4A114.thumb.jpeg.68dc3765af4225ef37963ec7298635c6.jpeg

18 minutes ago, lissie said:

Any Australians on the NZ flight will be flown to Australia and then on to Christmas Island.

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

The facilities on Christmas Island are in fact world class. They have excellent facilities, access to fresh and hot water, beds, air conditioning, electricity. The actually have it better than some nursing homes and defence barracks in Australia on the mainland. That is how good it is. Admittedly the toilets are prison style but what difference will that make, it still functions as such. 

This is from the Princess website:

Updated February 4, 2020 at 6:00 PM PT

Confirmed Cases of Coronavirus on Diamond Princess

Princess Cruises can confirm that the first phase of health screening of all guests and crew onboard Diamond Princess, by the Japanese Ministry of Health, has been completed. We were notified that amongst the samples that have completed testing, 10 people have tested positive for Coronavirus. This includes two Australian guests, three Japanese guests, three guests from Hong Kong, and one guest from the U.S. in addition to one Filipino crewmember.

These 10 persons, who have been notified, will be taken ashore by Japanese Coast Guard watercraft and transported to local hospitals for care by shoreside Japanese medical professionals. It has been confirmed that the ship will remain under quarantine in Yokohama. The length of the quarantine will be at least 14 days as required by the Ministry of Health.

The ship plans to go out to sea to perform normal marine operations including, but not limited to, the production of fresh water and ballast operations before proceeding alongside in Yokohama where food, provisions, and other supplies will be brought onboard.

Guests will continue to be provided complimentary internet and telephone to use in order to stay in contact with their family and loved ones, and the ship’s crew is working to keep all guests comfortable.

Princess Cruises will continue to fully cooperate with and follow the instructions of global medical authorities and the Japanese government.

We will also be cancelling the next two Diamond Princess cruises departing Yokohama (Feb 4 and Feb 12) and will begin notifying guests today.

Princess Cruises confirms there are 2,666 guests and 1,045 crew currently onboard covering a range of nationalities. Approximately half the guests onboard are from Japan.

30 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Any Australians on the NZ flight will be flown to Australia and then on to Christmas Island.

An Australian plane was on the tarmac waiting for them and they were transferred straight away and flown off to the detention centre on Christmas Island ....another long flight for them 

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

Just to be clear it's first world accommodation but it was designed for detainees/prisoners and being in quarantine (confined to the cabin) would be dreadful.

Agreed. I suspect there'd be more space on Christmas Island than a cabin, so I'd prefer the former if it came down to it.

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

Not too bad if you had a balcony cabin but those in inside cabins will really suffer.

4 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Not too bad if you had a balcony cabin but those in inside cabins will really suffer.

That would be horrible. Will they let passengers onto their balconies?

Leigh

1 minute ago, possum52 said:

That would be horrible. Will they let passengers onto their balconies?

Leigh

Yes, they are allowed onto their balconies. I heard an english fellow on the radio a couple of times today - the one with diabetes. He says he'll be out on the balcony if the sun comes out. He had not had any food he could eat in over 12 hours; he'd been given (after about 11 hours) some small amount of stuff he couldn't consume because of the diabetes but while he was on the radio they brought him a sandwich. Seems they are rationing the food so it won't be as pleasant an experience as some might think. Hope they look after people who have other medical issues besides the CV.

31 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

Yes, they are allowed onto their balconies. I heard an english fellow on the radio a couple of times today - the one with diabetes. He says he'll be out on the balcony if the sun comes out. He had not had any food he could eat in over 12 hours; he'd been given (after about 11 hours) some small amount of stuff he couldn't consume because of the diabetes but while he was on the radio they brought him a sandwich. Seems they are rationing the food so it won't be as pleasant an experience as some might think. Hope they look after people who have other medical issues besides the CV.

Thanks LittleFish1976. 

Another cruise ship with 3,000+ people on board may be quarantined in Hong Kong after carrying infected passengers.  

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/health-environment/article/3049120/coronavirus-cruise-ship-carried-infected-mainland

It's getting to the point where the cruise lines will need to cancel all sailings in the area for the next month or so.

57 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

Seems they are rationing the food so it won't be as pleasant an experience as some might think. Hope they look after people who have other medical issues besides the CV.

Princess did say that after a run out to sea to use the desalinators for more fresh water and for bunkering that they would be returning to Yokohama to dock so they can take on more supplies.

I hope that Princess medical staff are checking with all passengers to see if they urgently need supplies of whatever medications they are on. Few people would think to pack an extra 14+ days of their meds - we usually only pack 4-7 days extra, depending on the length of the cruise.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Princess did say that after a run out to sea to use the desalinators for more fresh water and for bunkering that they would be returning to Yokohama to dock so they can take on more supplies.

I hope that Princess medical staff are checking with all passengers to see if they urgently need supplies of whatever medications they are on. Few people would think to pack an extra 14+ days of their meds - we usually only pack 4-7 days extra, depending on the length of the cruise.

We are the same, as I guess most people are. We do take our medication in its original packaging but just enough for our cruise plus a few extras. It is a good point that passengers could have very low supplies of their medications. Hopefully the Japanese authorities are able to help.

Leigh

34 minutes ago, possum52 said:

We are the same, as I guess most people are. We do take our medication in its original packaging but just enough for our cruise plus a few extras. It is a good point that passengers could have very low supplies of their medications. Hopefully the Japanese authorities are able to help.

Leigh

I am sure the ship will supply any medications that are required, and if necessary get them from the Japanese authorities.

15 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I am sure the ship will supply any medications that are required, and if necessary get them from the Japanese authorities.

I would think that the ship is unlikely to have every medication required by passengers so the Japanese authorities will have to provide the needed medication.

Leigh

Edited by possum52

2 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

My partner takes a range of pills to keep his heart beating as it should. When we travel he takes about double what he needs. I carry 1/2 - he the other 1/2 usually split between 3 different bags. I always figured that if we lost one bag he should have enough to make it through most or all of the trip.  We're doing a  cruise shortly - only for 14 days - so that would still work if we were quarantined on the last day. Its not like he'd die the day he ran out of pills - he could ration them out  for an extra month or so. Must admit never did it because of a pandemic - but certainly because of lost luggage or unexpected delays. I recall when passengers got stuck on shore overnight in NZ from a cruise ship that some needed emergency pharmacy access to get required pills. He won't be doing a shore excursion without his current week's pill box 🙂

42 minutes ago, possum52 said:

I would think that the ship is unlikely to have every medication required by passengers so the Japanese authorities will have to provide the needed medication.

Leigh

Not always possible. If the medication is prohibited in Japan then they will not have it which is entirely possible. A prohibited medication a passengers could bring a limited supply but must have permission in advance as well as the doctors letter. Its complicated but possible.

2 minutes ago, Brisbane41 said:

Not always possible. If the medication is prohibited in Japan then they will not have it which is entirely possible. A prohibited medication a passengers could bring a limited supply but must have permission in advance as well as the doctors letter. Its complicated but possible.

So what will that patient(s) do if they are unable to be provided with their required medication, particularly if they are quarantined for 14 days?

9 minutes ago, possum52 said:

So what will that patient(s) do if they are unable to be provided with their required medication, particularly if they are quarantined for 14 days?

You can read up on it here https://www.mhlw.go.jp/english/policy/health-medical/pharmaceuticals/01.html

They are pretty strict. There are a wide range of drugs you cannot take in. Phentermine for example you cannot take in but that is not life dependent, however people on psychotropics may have a problem. 

16 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Presuambly they will be given a substitute - Japan is  very developed country- I'm sure they  have the same diseases as everywhere else and drugs to treat it. Americans seem to get opioids for anything and everything - while the rest of us manage on alternative pain killers just fine. I don't know about anti-psychotics - but would you  be well enough to travel if you were on something like that?  Its more going to be things like diabetes and cardiac drugs I should think.  

Personally I'm on drugs for reflux and glaucoma - but  I  could skip them for a few weeks without any consequences 

6 minutes ago, lissie said:

Presuambly they will be given a substitute - Japan is  very developed country- I'm sure they  have the same diseases as everywhere else and drugs to treat it. Americans seem to get opioids for anything and everything - while the rest of us manage on alternative pain killers just fine. I don't know about anti-psychotics - but would you  be well enough to travel if you were on something like that?  Its more going to be things like diabetes and cardiac drugs I should think.  

Personally I'm on drugs for reflux and glaucoma - but  I  could skip them for a few weeks without any consequences 

Sorry I misread your post Lissie, just ignore me! 

Leigh

Edited by possum52
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Lissie, I was posing the question to Brisbane41 who when I said that I hoped the Japanese authorities would help passengers with medication,  said that some medications are prohibited in Japan. So my question was what were those passengers to do if their medication was prohibited? It wasn’t a general question about all passenger medications. 

Leigh

I'm guessing they have access to, and the ability to provide, medications which are on the 'importation prohibition' list. Having been there (Japan) last year I seem to recall things like opioids were on that list and I can't believe there are no opioid medications in Japan. I'm sure they could provide them for passengers in this unavoidable situation - they just don't want people bringing them in without regulation. And I;m just using opioids as an example - I know the passengers would be requiring other drugs.

Edited by LittleFish1976
additional explanation