Worst canelation policy in the cruise industry

10 hours ago, MightyMike said:

If the cruise line is supposed to refund cancellations for reasons like this, then why should anyone purchase insurance? Insurance becomes pretty much worthless if the cruise line allows anyone to cancel as long as they have a good reason.

The OP is not asking to cancel, he's asking for a reschedule (FCC)

6 minutes ago, rusty nut said:

The OP is not asking to cancel, he's asking for a reschedule (FCC)

Who then is covering the cost of the cabin that sails empty at the last minute? Where is that $5,000 coming from?

Who is covering the on board sales the cruise line is losing when it is missing the passengers who would be making those purchases if on board?

Who is covering all the food and provisions that had been allocated for those passengers that are now missing?

It is easy to think "well they will be buying all that stuff on then next cruise."  But that still means that Royal loses all money from the canceled cruise. 

This is exactly what the entire travel industry says is covered by travel insurance. You don't purchase it, you have to absorb the losses of your gamble.  Just like the auto industry doesn't replace cars, you have to buy auto insurance. Why home builder's don't replace houses, you need to have home insurance.

Why in the world should industries be responsible for the choices of travelers not to cover their vacations?

Edited by cured
  • Like 4

18 hours ago, Familytravelsto said:

The policies of this cruise line are truly horrific.  I learned that my mother who has cancer, has only days left, and I called Royal Caribbean to ask not for a refund, but only to credit our cruise to another time after the funeral.  They said, that because my mother was not on the cruise, they could not do anything.   There are no exceptions.  They said, the only thing they would offer is that if I wanted to do a name change and give part of my cruise to someone else, I could so long as my wife still went on the cruise.  Essentially saying she can forego her mother in laws funeral and go on a cruise with someone else.  I will tell anyone who will listen about this policy and never cruise with this line again!

Hope OP will come back and answer my questions...

1) did you have insurance?

2) when is your sail date?

3) how long was the cruise?

BTW this is all hypothetical. Doctors are wrong about things like this (personal experience). Mom has not passed. God willing when she does go the OP will be comforted by warm memories and loving family/friends.

18 minutes ago, brillohead said:

That's the thing, though.... if the OP doesn't take his cruise, then his room is EMPTY for a whole week.  The ship isn't full, and the cruise line is out the money for that room (AND the on-board revenue those passengers would have brought) for that week.  

If RC applies that $5000 to a future cruise, where is the cruise line's money for THIS cruise???

True provided Royal is not able to resell that cabin. We are assuming the OP is close to the sail date but we don’t know that for sure. On the flip side, if Royal is able to resell that cabin, now they are getting paid for it twice.

21 minutes ago, cured said:

The cabin that now sails empty

The revenue of on board sales and excursions for the cancelled cruise

The food and drink that has been allocated and purchased for those customers

and much more

It is a fallacy to say that they are not losing a single dime.  

It's highly unlikely the cabin would remain empty, as RC sell tickets up to, what, the day before the sailing?  Given 24 hours notice, I don't see RC losing anything. Within that window, you're out of luck.

8 minutes ago, blackshirt said:

True provided Royal is not able to resell that cabin. We are assuming the OP is close to the sail date but we don’t know that for sure. On the flip side, if Royal is able to resell that cabin, now they are getting paid for it twice.

They are not getting paid for the cabin twice if the OP gets a FCC for later on.  If the OP choose not to go RC retains the cost of the cabin, minus shore excursions, tips, wifi, drink packages and other incidentals.

6 minutes ago, rusty nut said:

It's highly unlikely the cabin would remain empty, as RC sell tickets up to, what, the day before the sailing?  Given 24 hours notice, I don't see RC losing anything. Within that window, you're out of luck.

It is speculation that it will sell, not to mention will it be at a loss or gain position.  On a side note I thought after 911, the 24 hour rule tightened up for security screening.

@Ourusualbeach can you refresh me on what the rule is for time frames on new bookings.

7 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

It is speculation that it will sell, not to mention will it be at a loss or gain position.  On a side note I thought after 911, the 24 hour rule tightened up for security screening.

@Ourusualbeach can you refresh me on what the rule is for time frames on new bookings.

You can still make name changes up to appx 24 hours in advance of the sailing as well as book a new cruise.  It cuts off sometime between 10 and 3ish.  Varies by sailing.  

Pre 911 you could walk up to the pier morning of the cruise and buy your way on board. 

• Like 1

I really dont see how Royal Caribbean is the big bad evil cruiseline in this situation.   I have never ever purchased a cruise from either a TA or the cruiseline directly, that i wasnt offered trip insurance.  I always always always get it either through the cruiseline itself or through insuremytrip.com.   I would have to guess that the OP declined this coverage.   These unfortunate type situations are EXACTLY what a trip cancellation policy is for.    I bet with as many customers that RC has, they literally get hundreds of these calls a week.  What if they gave in to each request?  

I would call another Rep at RC if I were the OP but fully expect to get the same answer.  You might even try Resolutions.   They have been known to show some compassion in some situations.  

Edited by ryano

12 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

They are not getting paid for the cabin twice if the OP gets a FCC for later on

The OP is not getting an FCC for a different cruise, that’s the entire point of the thread. In other words, if Royal is able to fill that cabin, Royal is getting paid twice for it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

You can still make name changes up to appx 24 hours in advance of the sailing as well as book a new cruise.  It cuts off sometime between 10 and 3ish.  Varies by sailing.  

Pre 911 you could walk up to the pier morning of the cruise and buy your way on board. 

Thanks Ken.  

At 24 hours there isn't enough time for a Royal Up offer to go out.  However, there is a chance with extremely short notice that someone could book the cabin.  RC is still looking at a possible loss or gain from giving the OP a sailing a few months later.  To which is something they do not have to do.

3 minutes ago, blackshirt said:

The OP is not getting an FCC for a different cruise, that’s the entire point of the thread. In other words, if Royal is able to fill that cabin, Royal is getting paid twice for it.

I get that.  They would not even be getting a FCC, they just wanted it switched to another date.

If it doesn't sell on short notice it sits empty, at a loss, because the OP didn't plan accordingly.  

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 1

First I want to say how sorry I am to hear about your Mother.  It is so very hard to use a loved one at anytime.  I remember when we first started to cruise we never bought insurance.  

As my Mother got older and was sick we started to purchase insurance in case we had to cancel.  It was several years that we paid for insurance and did not need to file a claim.  On our one cruise my husband had a medical emergency and had to taken off the ship in Haiti to the hospital  in Dominican Republic for surgery and treatment.  The insurance policy we had covered the medivac, hospital stay, time missed on the cruise, my flights from Cape Liberty to Dominican Republic, hotels, meals, and our flights back to PA.  We always purchase insurance for every trip and have never needed it after this emergency thank goodness for that.  

We consider travel insurance just like the insurance we have on our home and pay premiums every year but never have used it.  It is just an insurance policy just in case.

Just now, A&L_Ont said:

I get that.  

If it doesn't sell on short notice it sits empty, because the OP didn't plan accordingly.  

Not disputing that, just pointing out that Royal gets paid twice if they are able to resell. Unfortunately, we have no idea how close to the sailing the OP is. We don’t even know the class of cabin. There’s a possibility the OP’s cabin goes to a Royal Up bid and the cabin that ultimate sails empty, if one even does is totally different.

20 minutes ago, blackshirt said:

Not disputing that, just pointing out that Royal gets paid twice if they are able to resell. Unfortunately, we have no idea how close to the sailing the OP is. We don’t even know the class of cabin. There’s a possibility the OP’s cabin goes to a Royal Up bid and the cabin that ultimate sails empty, if one even does is totally different.

The OP didn't leave any info that might have clarified time frames etc, not that it matters.  All that being said, if they had insurance this would be non-issue and this thread would never have existed. 

People like to self-insure, until they have to make a claim and get nothing in return.  Hopefully he will have learned the value of purchasing insurance this time around.

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 5

43 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

At 24 hours there isn't enough time for a Royal Up offer to go out.  However, there is a chance with extremely short notice that someone could book the cabin.  RC is still looking at a possible loss or gain from giving the OP a sailing a few months later.  To which is something they do not have to do.

Which brings us back to the original point of the OP.  In his experience, Carnival was more flexible with their cancellation policy than Royal is. End of story. 

50 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Interestingly  enough,   Royal was willing to allow one name change so someone else could sail in his place. But his wife would still have to go on the cruise with that person.

Just out of curiosity, why not allow both name changes so the OP could allow someone else - a neighbor, coworker distant cousin, whomever - to go on the cruise? Seems like it would be a win-win for both the cruise line and the OP.

44 minutes ago, blackshirt said:

Hmmm, interesting thought. Maybe if Royal can resell the cabin, then - and only then - do they refund the cruise or issue the FCC.  And if the cabin sells for less than what the OP purchased, then he only gets a partial FCC.

Again, a win-win for all those involved.

6 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

He should have been loyal to them because they were so kind to him, last time.  It won't last forever.

I'm pretty sure that was his entire point of this  thread and he made it clear where his loyalty lies.

Edited by HBE4

1 hour ago, rusty nut said:

It is a big heartless company, that's a fact. I'm sorry for your loss and I'm sorry for the way Royal Caribbean has treated you. When I think about it, it makes no sense whatsoever why they couldn't just reschedule your cruise. Really, they wouldn't be losing a single penny by doing so, so why not do it? If I paid $5,000 for a cruise and I had to reschedule (not cancel) why can't I? What would Royal be losing out on? Nothing. I can't think of a single reason why Royal Caribbean can't take that $5,000 and apply it to a different cruise. Their ships all sail full anyway. If I cancel my $5k cruise, someone else will pick it up, they're not out anything. Heck, Royal could probably make a little money by charging a small fee to reschedule.

Really? You can’t think of any reason? If their ship sails full, and someone cancels at the last minute, they now have a room that they basically “refunded” and can’t resell (because they’re transferring money from the cancelled room to a new room on a different ship at a later time). Assuming they always sail full (as you said), then they are now sailing less-than-full, and losing money on that room for that sailing.

Now- they’ve also lost the opportunity to sell the room on the new sailing to someone different because this customer has transferred their payment to the new ship, taking up a room someone else could have paid money for. This one person’s payment for 1 room has now taken up 2 rooms, when RC could have sold 2 rooms and made twice the money if they had not allowed the transfer. 

This is basic accounting 101. If you can’t see any reason for them to deny 1 customer the ability to take up 2 rooms for 1 payment, you need to re-visit basic math. 

Edited by ARandomTraveler

We always buy insurance and mainly because our parents are older (80's), but I was the one that caused us to use it for the very first time this past fall.  I broke my ankle, requiring surgery and was told no to the trip by my OS, which was the correct thing to do as I wasn't capable of going when the time came around.  Point is, don't assume because you're not older or don't have older parents that you may not need it for some reason.  It was the first time after 28 cruises we had to use it for cruise 29 and 30 (yes a b2b, crap).

OP wants to be treated differently than everyone else.  They didn't plan for the possibility, but that's not RCI's nor our fault.  It's entirely on them for not planning or thinking.  Royal only owes them what is in the contract between them.  It has nothing to do with heartlessness or the "big bad corporation".

Edited by BND
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Which brings us back to the original point of the OP.  In his experience, Carnival was more flexible with their cancellation policy than Royal is. End of story. 

As was discussed earlier it is a different situation.

On the Carnival cruise it was someone who was travelling who was ill.  On the Royal cruise the ill person was not travelling.

I have read of and personally been involved with situations where Royal did exactly as Carnival in the same situation.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Just out of curiosity, why not allow both name changes so the OP could allow someone else - a neighbor, coworker distant cousin, whomever - to go on the cruise?

Because then you could have a resale market for cabins - RCI has enough competition from other cruise lines - they don't want their cabins resold.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

From reading the OP's post, it appears RCCL is giving her ZIPPO.  Again, the importance of having trip interruption and cancellation insurance.  However, one further thing that one has to remember is the matter of  pre-existing conditions.  

I know certainly well that if one of my relatives has cancer, or whatever other pre-existing condition that is not stable, the moment I book that future cruise I am not going to be covered in the event that that person becomes deathly ill or dies.   

My mom and I booked a cruise within the cancellation period one September for a December cruise.  Two weeks prior to the cruise, she developed pain in the belly and it turned out to be bladder cancer.  She had bought trip cancel and interruption insurance (she bought hers, mine was with my credit card).  Doctor signed claim form saying she cannot cruise and every last penny we paid was refunded within one month.   My mother still alive and kicking twenty years later.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Biker19 said:

Because then you could have a resale market for cabins - RCI has enough competition from other cruise lines - they don't want their cabins resold.

And on top of that- what a huge hassle for RC to have to track the details of selling the room just so they can figure out how much more or less they sold it for in order to issue the right FCC amount to the original person who cancelled.

It’s like they’d be selling the room on consignment, how inefficient. With 3,000+ people on a ship, it’s pretty safe to assume  10% of every sailing will come down with some reason to want to change their sailing or cancel altogether, and having to sell rooms on consignment for that many people would require a dedicated salesperson and cost royal Caribbean the amount of a salary, which means they’re now losing money because they have an additional expense to pay just to help people out, when those people could have helped themselves by buying insurance.