Sky Princess

lois1112

I'm booked on the Sky Princess for September and thinking of canceling

I'm just off the Coral, the people I talked to who had sailed on the Sky did not like it at all

one of my favorite cruise things it to walk the promenade deck?

any opinions?

Are you crazy, I LOVED the Sky!  She is a beautiful ship with so many wonderful aspects.  I have sailed on the Coral too. Sky is so much nicer.  Don't get me wrong, I loved my Coral cruise.  But Sky is the winner in that comparison.  There is a promenade deck you can walk on.  Just not all the way around. There are wooden padded lounger to sit/lay on.  And some wooden benches aft to sit on.  

• Like 2

I'm with grouchomarx and SeaLibrarian:  I've sailed on the Coral and loved her; I've sailed on the Grand Class ships and love many things about them; I've sailed on the Royal Class ships and both like and dislike certain things about them, but if them all, the Sky was my absolute favorite.  True, there is no promenade deck that goes all the way around the ship, but the Sky has many, many other features that are very nice, including features you won't find on the Coral or Island.  I'd say give it a go; you'll never know if you like it unless you try. 😉 Good luck, and happy cruising.  👍

• Like 2

While the Coral is our favorite ship, we are eager for our November cruise on the Sky.  Based on our experience on the Royal we found lots of places to amble and enjoy and expect the Sky to be a similar experience, except maybe shinier.

53 minutes ago, LoriPhil said:

While the Coral is our favorite ship, we are eager for our November cruise on the Sky.  Based on our experience on the Royal we found lots of places to amble and enjoy and expect the Sky to be a similar experience, except maybe shinier.

The Sky was awesome.

The Coral is in my top 2 and the Sky is the other.

You cannot compare the Coral and the Sky. 2 totally different ships.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, lois1112 said:

I'm just off the Coral, the people I talked to who had sailed on the Sky did not like it at all

any opinions?

You need to go and read the reviews 3 stars and up. Under 3 are usually disgruntled passengers usually complain about stupid things.. We loved the ship. beautiful. Nothing at all about it was negative. I posted a lengthy review. 

What did they not like about it? I am curious to hear that.

• Like 1

I'm booked on Sky for 26 days, Aug./Sept. can't wait!  I've sailed on the Regal and Royal, love them both.  When I booked Regal in 2016, I was skeptical because I loved the Emerald, promenade deck, thought I would not like Royal class, but I do. 

I eat at the International Cafe for breakfast and lunch, enjoy the bigger area.  More walking around room, shops (and I'm not a shopper), Alfredo's, I like the bigger ships. 

I've been cruising since 1982, all sizes, kinds of ships, but must say Royal class won me over.

We are currently on Sky and have only one complaint. We feel the buffet area, called World Market, is poorly designed and confusing. Other than that the ship, crew, food, and entertainment is better than any other princess ship we have sailed on. Way better than Celebrity or Holland America. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CHUCKIE50 said:

We are currently on Sky and have only one complaint. We feel the buffet area, called World Market, is poorly designed and confusing. Other than that the ship, crew, food, and entertainment is better than any other princess ship we have sailed on. Way better than Celebrity or Holland America. 

The buffet is split up so there is no congestion. Two section with some different food in each. Deserts in a separate section. Plenty of seating. Never a problem finding a table. Order a drink for any worker. No need to use the app. In the evening. The buffet is set up like a dining room. Place mats and stemmed glasses on the table. Utensils including a soup spoon wrapped in the nice napkin and on the table. So tell me what did you find confusing?

1 minute ago, CHUCKIE50 said:

There are no visual clues as to where you are, aft, forward, port etc. Many people were complaining they couldn't find their own tables. I have had no problem. My wife is always lost. The food is always really delicious. 

If you are referring to the buffet. You can see the aft doors where the bar is from either the port or starboard side of the buffet. Forward of it you can see the mens room starboard side  Also where the ice scream is and on the port side the ladies room knowing they are forward of the buffet where you walked in.

What reasons did your 4 friends give? 

As mentioned already, there is a promenade deck, on both starboard and port side, it just doesn't go all the way around the bow and stern. And there is some intrusion from the tenders and life rafts for a section.  But, as was also pointed out, it has nice little open areas with lounge chairs.

One thing I really like about the Sky is how it never feels crowded.  I don't know how they do it, but as we'd walk around the shops and public areas, we'd feel the crush of the crowds more on the smaller ships, with less people, than on the Sky.  MDR always felt spacious and uncrowded.

Yes, there is the World Market buffet, and also the Horizon Court buffet.  Two buffet sections, that are different - plus the Pastry shop with .... Pastries! All were rarely - if ever - crowded.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WoodstockGirl said:

What reasons did your 4 friends give? 

As mentioned already, there is a promenade deck, on both starboard and port side, it just doesn't go all the way around the bow and stern. And there is some intrusion from the tenders and life rafts for a section.  But, as was also pointed out, it has nice little open areas with lounge chairs.

One thing I really like about the Sky is how it never feels crowded.  I don't know how they do it, but as we'd walk around the shops and public areas, we'd feel the crush of the crowds more on the smaller ships, with less people, than on the Sky.  MDR always felt spacious and uncrowded.

Yes, there is the World Market buffet, and also the Horizon Court buffet.  Two buffet sections, that are different - plus the Pastry shop with .... Pastries! All were rarely - if ever - crowded.

Totally agree and I asked the same question. Really liked the ship.

21 hours ago, lois1112 said:

any opinions?

We had always preferred the Coral and Grand Class partly because of the Promenade Deck. But, since they removed chairs from balcony cabins the only cabins we book now are deluxe balconies, which are only on Royal class ships. I wonder if Princess planned it that way.

We have sailed four times on the Royal, once on the Regal, and have two upcoming cruises on the Sky and one on the Royal.

Edited by billco

Sailed on both including a 21 day b2b TA on Sky in Nov.  They are both great ships but different as well.  The Sky has no wrap around promenade but subs with a nice walking/jogging track on deck 18.  Not the same if you are really particular but the higher vantage does have a great view.

I thought Sky had the best buffet of any cruise ship or line (on a sold out Xmas cruise). We always found a table and drink service was incredibly fast to come take your order and deliver drinks.  It was astonishing!  Especially after some really bad experiences in cruise buffets, particularly the Anthem of the Seas - total chaos trying to get a seat, followed by morning breakfast rage lol.