Formal night? Do many dress up?

Sunrise101

1 minute ago, Sunrise101 said:

Thank you everyone for sharing your opinions.  It has been immensely helpful.  I informed the kids that’s it’s a very mixed bag leaning more casual and they still want to dress up.  And are looking forward to going shopping! Ha!

Thanks again!

In today’s society, kids wanting to get dressed up is great.   
I have a friend and his twin boys love getting dressed up. With bow ties no less. Lol 
have fun with them shopping now before there're off to school and outta the house and living their own lives and their own choices.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, gdy0354 said:

Just off Explorer of the Seas.

Formal very few tuxes, some suits, fair number of sport coats, but mostly collared shirt with casual slacks for men.

Casual night, good mix of dress/casual shorts with golf shirts or jerseys.

Fair number very dressy dresses having pictures taken.

About the only out of place look was a gentleman in 60's wearing cut off sleeves at the shoulder every casual night and the tuxedo t shirt on formal nights.

other than him, wearing what was comfortable was acceptable to most.

I got so many compliments on my formal wear from everyone.  Had so many people come up and ask were I got mine from.   Had one gentleman in a wheelchair stop me to ask where he could get on.  He said he would have to have his daughter get it for him as he didn’t do amazon or internet.   
I walked up to a table with aMarine General and his son a Marine Gunny and thanked them for their service. And the entire table loved my formal wear. 
so judging people about what they wear only makes your case worse.
As you never judge a book by its cover.  same with what a person wears.  

3 hours ago, Sunrise101 said:

We are new to Royal and going on Oasis this June.  My teens actually like the idea of getting to dress up for dinner, but they don’t want to stick out and be the only ones. I know cruising trends towards more casual these days but will we be all alone in our formal wear?

Thanks for your help!

My wife dresses up every night.

In Europe formal night is well respected on all cruise lines including RC.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, twodaywonder said:

No you will not. Most dress up for the pictures. Very few with shorts etc.

Not sure what ships you have been on lately, but I see plenty of people in shorts in the MDR every night of a cruise no matter what the dress code is for that evening. People who dress up in suits tuxes, dresses, etc. are definitely in the minority these days. Just another in a long list of changes in the cruising world these days.  

45 minutes ago, Sunrise101 said:

Thank you everyone for sharing your opinions.  It has been immensely helpful.  I informed the kids that’s it’s a very mixed bag leaning more casual and they still want to dress up.  And are looking forward to going shopping! Ha!

Thanks again!

It will definitely be a mixed bag but it is worth dressing up for at least one night for pictures.  Costs nothing to have them taken, only pay if you buy one.  Oasis will be sailing out of Bayonne and we have found less to be very dressed up from that port but not too many in shorts at dinner.  Kids can always dress for dinner and then change back into what they want to wear for the rest of the night.  That is what my son always did.  Didn't need more than two pairs of pants since they weren't worn for long.  Never risked taking just one as you never know if something gets spilled at dinner.

2 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Not sure what ships you have been on lately, but I see plenty of people in shorts in the MDR every night of a cruise no matter what the dress code is for that evening. People who dress up in suits tuxes, dresses, etc. are definitely in the minority these days. Just another in a long list of changes in the cruising world these days.  

I’ve not got bad eye site but never see plenty a few yes of people in shorts in the MDR in the evenings weather it be a Caribbean or a Mediterranean sailing l

57 minutes ago, Sunrise101 said:

Ah-ha! The real reason......an excuse to buy more clothes! 😉

• Like 1

2 hours ago, George C said:

I disagree, there were lots of shorts on our Oasis cruise even on formal , not saying nobody dressed up but I thought they were in the minority. Need a time machine to go back several years to find most people dressing for formal. 

I was on Symphony in August and noticed a majority of people dressed in Formal attire including families with young children.

The real answer is wear what you'd like and enjoy your vacation. 

• Like 3

People will wear what they choose to wear & that doesn't affect us. There will be a wide range.

But I have to say to that the poster showing the photo of the 'tuxedo' T-shirt, that is the lamest of the lame. It was probably funny the first time someone wore that shirt, maybe even the first 10,000 times, but now.... sad!!!!!!

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

We normally cruise Carnival, where anything goes. I have followed threads that post the compass and noticed there are theme nights. Ex. 50's night ect. We have 50 style dresses only worn once to charity function. Do people dress for theme nights. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hogbay said:

You cannot be overdressed on a cruise but those that wear shorts are very vocal about there rights .

1 hour ago, island visitor said:

It makes me sad that this topic could not be discussed without negativity.....🙁

They are simply stating a fact. Nothing negative about it. :classic_rolleyes:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sunrise101 said:

Thanks again!

I'm sure they will have fun dressing up and it will be the memories they have from it. Like others said it's also a great photo op.

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

My wife dresses up every night.

In Europe formal night is well respected on all cruise lines including RC.

I can't wait for our Baltic cruise this May. Looking forward to a crowd that's more respectful of Royal's suggested dress code.

We still wear a tux and gown regardless of where we cruise to or from. The way I see it is if we can afford a cruise we can definitely afford the baggage fees. On our 2 TP cruises I brought 2 gowns and didn't incur any extra baggage fees.

Edited by ReneeFLL
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, mr walker said:

People will wear what they choose to wear & that doesn't affect us. There will be a wide range.

But I have to say to that the poster showing the photo of the 'tuxedo' T-shirt, that is the lamest of the lame. It was probably funny the first time someone wore that shirt, maybe even the first 10,000 times, but now.... sad!!!!!!

Lame and sad.    Judging people is so disrespectful.   
judge not on what someone wears on their back but what’s inside of them.  

another sad post form a judgmental disrespectful person here on CC.    

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Ptroxx said:

Lame and sad.    Judging people is so disrespectful.   
judge not on what someone wears on their back but what’s inside of them.  

another sad post form a judgmental disrespectful person here on CC.    

You were trying to show how funny you were with lame humour from last century. Pointing that out was wrong?????

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mr walker said:

You were trying to show how funny you were with lame humour from last century. Pointing that out was wrong?????

Calling a person lame and sad is very wrong and Disrespectful.  
I don’t care what people think, many people actually complimented me on the shirt. 
I know it’s been worn many times, I’m not new to it  I just refuse to get dressed up for a red lobster type dinning room.  
you wear what you want and I’ll wear what I want.
But by your attitude and disrespectful name calling I can tell they type of person you are.

you can put lipstick on a pig.  It’s still a pig.    

• Like 4

4 hours ago, island visitor said:

It makes me sad that this topic could not be discussed without negativity.....🙁

Please explain how my opinion is negative ? The first part is a positive that you cannot possibly  over dress on a cruise ship ..the second part is the truth . Those that do the opposite to over dress will tell you that it's there right ..(see did not even mention shorts ) whoops 😳

• Like 1

walmart shopper here, just reading some of the rules for main dining, looks like I will have to bring some khakis and a shirt with collar for FORMAL night.  I was just going to wear my travel pants or shorts until I read the rules.

8 minutes ago, Newleno said:

walmart shopper here, just reading some of the rules for main dining, looks like I will have to bring some khakis and a shirt with collar for FORMAL night.  I was just going to wear my travel pants or shorts until I read the rules.

I wore shorts and a button up shirt every night but formal night I wore a T-shirt and nice shorts.   The head waiter loved my attire as did many travelers.   

9DC4AA04-BB1C-4B16-87FC-84C55DFE069F.jpeg

16 minutes ago, Newleno said:

Ships are going from a formal night to dress your best.  Khakis and a collared ship will be fine.  Only thing that really isn't accepted is shorts, but you will see those who still wear them.  In the past, they would turn people away but it depends on who is working the entrance.  Unfortunately, these days, most anything goes.

4 hours ago, mac66 said:

You're always going to find the Walmart shoppers no matter where you go.😁     It's classy to dress up however.

Only some Wal-Mart and other shoppers think dressing up immediately makes them classy 😉

Those with true class, whether they shop at Wal-Mart or on Rodeo Drive, don't judge others and go out of their way to make everyone around them comfortable.  

Wearing a gown or a tuxedo doesn't cover up your true character if you are looking down your nose at others and sitting in judgement. What you are wearing does not impart class. That needs to be your character not your clothes.

I attend enough formal affairs in real life, not going to happen on vacation.  If you think that makes me classless, so be it. 

Edited by cured
  • Like 5

You know something,  with all the sad crap going on in the world we are all very fortunate to afford share this LUXURY.  Some of you are old school, and like to dress up. And others like me just like to be casual.  
This bickering is so silly.  So many others can only dream of having disposable income like we obviously have to take this vacations.  Bottom line is how someone dresses is insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, pokerguy90 said:

You know something,  with all the sad crap going on in the world we are all very fortunate to afford share this LUXURY.  Some of you are old school, and like to dress up. And others like me just like to be casual.  
This bickering is so silly.  So many others can only dream of having disposable income like we obviously have to take this vacations.  Bottom line is how someone dresses is insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

The OP asked what is worn on Royal Caribbean and many have shared their experiences.  The ships are trending more casual as the OP suggested.  Whether they want to go against the suggested guidelines is up to them.  As you have seen here, some will wear something that is more appropriate at a Halloween party than it is in a dining room on a cruise ship and others will wear tuxes and gowns.  The OP needs to decide what she feels best suits her families style and go with it.  Many of us suggested that there are not many chances these days to get family pictures taken it this is a great opportunity.  In the end, this is a cruise forum in the grand scheme of things.