Coronavirus

12 minutes ago, Brummijam said:

But they are not paying refunds, they are not answering their phones, they are not communicating with customers. 
You can defend them as much as you want but You must know that what they are doing isn’t right. 

On another social media site, you are chastised for suggesting Tui are anything other than a saintly organisation and anyone wanting a refund for a cancelled cruise is being mercenary.    They are clearly holding off on refunds till they have money from new bookings or final payments, a bit like a Ponzi scheme. We know how they all end. 

100% understand everyones frustration regarding cancelled cruises. Everything beyond our control.

We were due to sail tomorrow.   Changed our cruise to April 2021 (something to look forward to).

Going with the opinion if all we have lost in 2020 is a holiday which we can have following year then we are the lucky ones.

If we have to cancel August cruise til next year so be it. Be 2 holidays to look forward to which we have already paid for.

Stay safe everyone 

1 hour ago, kevinyork said:

On another social media site, you are chastised for suggesting Tui are anything other than a saintly organisation and anyone wanting a refund for a cancelled cruise is being mercenary.    They are clearly holding off on refunds till they have money from new bookings or final payments, a bit like a Ponzi scheme. We know how they all end. 

As you can see Tui has its devotees on this board as well. You cannot defend the indefensible simples.🤷🏻‍♂️

Have just looked up "Ponzi scheme" a very apt description.😳 

Edited by Brummijam

Nothing any of us can do about the lack of quick refunds

Hopefully we all get our money back, before they go bust (a possible outcome in my opinion)

Hopefully a lot of people choose to rebook for a holiday in 12 months so they have enough padding to process my refund, before their accounts department give the big wigs the bad news 

Still, I reckon closer to 3 months minimum before we see the refunds

Edited by TheTraveller23

6 hours ago, oscarshep said:

100% understand everyones frustration regarding cancelled cruises. Everything beyond our control.

We were due to sail tomorrow.   Changed our cruise to April 2021 (something to look forward to).

Going with the opinion if all we have lost in 2020 is a holiday which we can have following year then we are the lucky ones.

If we have to cancel August cruise til next year so be it. Be 2 holidays to look forward to which we have already paid for.

Stay safe everyone 

Except a similar cruise next year (the same one is not on) is twice the price I paid, that’s right 100% more or 1 cruise for the price of two! I can’t afford that and I don’t want to as I can’t justify that much on a Marella cruise. For that price I’d rather cruise with Cunard or Celebrity. So only one option for me is a refund.

• Like 1

Just received info on renewal of my annual insurance policy.  Surprise,  surprise, now under optional covers for an additional premium are cruises! 

Also under what is not included

*Travel to a country or an area where the FCO advice at the time that you purchased your policy or book an individual trip, whichever is the latter, is not to travel to this country or area.

We had a trip to Greece later this year, as we postponed from June. But looking at this, I think the policy would be invalid if I renew insurance at this point. I wouldn't expect to claim on insurance if we couldnt go later this year, and we fully anticipate having to postpone again. But I think that clause is a minefield for anyone who may have postponed trips. BUT to do anything with the booking even to change it to 2021 I think could invalidate the insurance if I renewed the policy now. Or to renew the policy now would also seem to invalidate it. IN fact this would seem to be a get out clause for any foreign travel , as all but essential travel is  currently banned

1) AM I understanding this correctly.

2) Have others also found cruising is now at an extra premium

SWEBY

Sweby, I guess it depends on how your define "the time that you book an individual trip,".  If you amend to a later date I guess they will argue that is the date you purchased, especially if you have to pay a difference.   I'd image they'd wriggle out on that one.

In future I think we will all have to be very careful selecting travel insurance and the prices are sure to go up.  There are sure to be pandemic exclusions  or pandemic cover as an extra.

If insurance doesn't cover you enough, then it's not really insurance anymore in my eyes.  If holiday and insurance prices go up too much it could be self defeating for travel companies.  I read on Twitter a lot more comments about Tui hiking prices for next year, they may have to change that if nobody books and confidence remains low.

Hi PC that's a massive increase so I checked my 19 day from 13th April 2021 on Discovery from Montego Bay to Port Canaveral and we paid £6130.84 for 2 with extras and today it's £6053.70 which is less by £77.14 Very strange 

6 hours ago, sweby said:

Just received info on renewal of my annual insurance policy.  Surprise,  surprise, now under optional covers for an additional premium are cruises! 

As far as I know and experienced myself, cruises have always been an extra on holiday insurance.

Read what the cruise add ons gives you Usually it's what I said which people who use other lines may need I've had annual cover with numerous companies and now with UK Direct through Nationwide and as I've always done fly cruises as a package have never paid for the add on My husband had a large medical claim within a month of taking out Nationwide insurance and they paid the bill to the ships medical team and the bill for tests etc in the Dominican Republic without question This was the first time we had ever claimed whilst cruising regularly over the last 15 years so were very happy We have had ports cancelled a couple of times but accept that that can happen due to sea/weather conditions so wouldn't have claimed anyway

If you sail with other lines you will probably need the extra cover

Of course due to Coronovirus insurance cover may change even more in the future.

21 hours ago, MX-Drew said:

Certainly on my annual holiday insurance renewals in past years cruises, winter sports, and areas of the world to cover have been options.

Same. I've always ticked the box saying that cruise cover is required.

As for refunds, I had an email from TUI on 20th March saying I would receive my refund within four weeks. Needless to say it has not yet arrived. I'm wondering if it's time to contact the credit card company.

I wonder where my brother stands now with the latest information regarding waiting for an email and receiving a credit ? He gave his bank details to the TA he booked with in his local Tui shop, was told the transfer would take 7 days. This was over a month ago. He has heard nothing since then and hasn't been able to get through on the phone.

Does this new information mean he is back to square one and will now have to wait for an email and then start his claim for a refund all over again.?

Nancy this is really bad news about your brothers refund. Does your brother have an email address? When I booked my cruise in the TUI shop they sent me a confirmation email If your brother has one could he not email the shop as the email address of the person who sent the confirmation was on the email I received He could then quote his booking number etc and maybe get an answer from the shop that way. I hope so

Nancy, on Twitter Tui are saying - 

we now have a small dedicated team answering queries for those who booked in store. You can call our usual number on 0203 451 2688 (9am-5.30pm Mon to Fri) and choose the option for in-store bookings. Please note, we’re experiencing extremely high call volumes.

I would think he would be OK, from reading around, many people promised refunds are taking weeks to get them.

Not sure if this is any help but I have just managed to amend a booking from June 2020 to June 2021 by telephoning 0203 451 2688 then when asked choose 1 then choose 5, I then had to wait for an hour and half to get through but it was worth the wait, we also had booked in a TUI store, I know these are unprecedented times but think I will book online in future. The problem if we had waited to a later time to amend people are now booking for 2021 and availability is shrinking fast. 2020 holidays just a washout now.