Coronavirus

43 minutes ago, skioncruises said:

You're lucky, at least you have an email.

We're due to fly to Tenerife on 17 April and sail on Explorer via Las Palmas, Gibraltar, Spain, Italy and France before arriving in Corfu on 5 April for the start of the summer season's cruising.

We haven't heard a peep from them and can't get an answer on any numbers I have or they are willing to give out.

Also due to go on 20 June on Discovery and want to cancel and happily lose deposit, but again no number will answer.

Been trying since 14 March without any success.  In the over 70s bracket.  Don't want another holiday.  Just want a refund for the first cruise and cancel the second.  Don't think the admin would take as long as rearranging the booking

Rant over

Keep safe  and well everyone. 

I feel for you.

I believe Marella have handled this very badly indeed, I have had cruises booked with Celebrity and Cunard and I can't fault their communication but Marella is dreadful and this will be last time I book with them. Yes the virus is beyond their control but communication is not. 

25 minutes ago, MX-Drew said:

I feel for you.

I believe Marella have handled this very badly indeed, I have had cruises booked with Celebrity and Cunard and I can't fault their communication but Marella is dreadful and this will be last time I book with them. Yes the virus is beyond their control but communication is not. 

Don't  think Marella are alone, just look at the P&O forum, their passengers are equally frustrated.

2 minutes ago, dronnygirl said:

Don't  think Marella are alone, just look at the P&O forum, their passengers are equally frustrated.

I also have a P&O cruise booked but that is in November, as that is some way off I have not worried about that too much. I have however received numerous emails keeping me up to date on what is going on but in contrast the only email I have received from Marella is one saying everything is going ahead when a blind person can see it is not.   

34 minutes ago, MX-Drew said:

I feel for you.

I think one of the main problems Tui have is that the cruises are being dealt with as part of the overall Tui call centres who are dealing with hundreds of thousands of cancelled package holidays.  It’s not an excuse though.  Their communications have been poor from the start of this crisis and they are not helping themselves with people desperate to get info on their booking/refunds but the lack of clear info leads to even more pressure on their teams. 

3 minutes ago, MX-Drew said:

I also have a P&O cruise booked but that is in November, as that is some way off I have not worried about that too much. I have however received numerous emails keeping me up to date on what is going on but in contrast the only email I have received from Marella is one saying everything is going ahead when a blind person can see it is not.   

Tui have never recognised loyalty.  It’s extremely important in cruising and the US lines in particular want to ensure they get their loyal passengers back on board when this is over.  

Just to add P&O have cancelled all cruises upto 15th May so likely Marella will follow suit especially as aircraft look to be pretty much grounded now. As this virus broke here in the UK we were just about to press the button on booking 2 cruises so glad we didnt. 

Stay well and safe all. 

Has anyone who has had their cruise cancelled had contact from tui regarding the flexible options?

They should put the options online, report on Twitter of a four hour hold then getting cut off.

1 hour ago, jono75 said:

Has anyone who has had their cruise cancelled had contact from tui regarding the flexible options?

They should put the options online, report on Twitter of a four hour hold then getting cut off.

I had an email telling me about £200 off of future cruises if I book before the end of April. I didn't want it; I want a refund and I called to ask for it. It didn't take too long to get through and I've since had an email confirming my refund and that I'll get it in 3 to 4 weeks, ie late April time. Assuming I get it, I don't think TUI have been too bad to me under the circumstances although communication could have been a bit quicker.

On 3/30/2020 at 8:43 PM, 2BACRUISER said:

Just to add P&O have cancelled all cruises upto 15th May so likely Marella will follow suit especially as aircraft look to be pretty much grounded now

That's not consistent with their current overall policy which is clearly rigidly based on Foreign Office advice - TUI are still offering package holidays from 18th April and cruises from 1st May.

anybody want to book this ?

When the FO announces its next window of "Do Not Travel" advice dates (which must be soon ?) then TUI will react accordingly and cancel cruises and holidays that fall within that period.

TUI are playing for time hoping that the travel regulations in respect of refunds will be amended so they can avoid such payments within the current 14 day timeframe.

In simple terms they just don't want to have to refund clients - credit vouchers or future booking reservations are their aims.

Edited by WeeCountyMan
spelling

17 minutes ago, WeeCountyMan said:

That's not consistent with their current overall policy which is clearly rigidly based on Foreign Office advice - TUI are still offering package holidays from 18th April and cruises from 1st May.

anybody want to book this ?

When the FO announces its next window of "Do Not Travel" advice dates (which must be soon ?) then TUI will react accordingly and cancel cruises and holidays that fall within that period.

TUI are playing for time hoping that the travel regulations in respect of refunds will be amended so they can avoid such payments within the current 14 day timeframe.

In simple terms they just don't want to have to refund clients - credit vouchers or future booking reservations are there aims.

Agreed but correct me if I'm wrong, if FO announce "do not travel", I assume TUI do not refund and you will have to claim against Insurance Company ?

This could be a problem for those with "health issues" who may not have fully comprehensive cover.

Good Morning Bertie,

If the FO advice is not to travel then TUI will be obliged to cancel and refunds apply.

Unless the travel regulations have changed very recently and I've missed it of course.

The cruises etc. that TUI have cancelled to date fall within the  FO's most recent no travel dates advice which runs up until 17th April. Notice that TUI are currently still offering package deals from the next day, here's an example.

TUI deal 18th April to Gran Canaria

I would recommend following Simon Calder's artricles in The Independent. This is not the most recent, however it is useful.

Simon Calder 22nd March

His "bottom line" advice is still extant - do not cancel cruises or holidays, the onus is on the travel operator to sort things out.

Also - contrary to Simon's headline of a week ago, the  Package Travel Regulations 2018 have not been amended, although the travel industry is lobbying hard for it to be revised.

If I'm correct these are EU regulations which the UK remains tied into until Brexit is fully implemented.

Edited by WeeCountyMan
spelling

Thanks Weecountyman (is that Angus?). Thus far it's only our deposit that's at risk on the EX2 cruise from 1st Aug 2020. We'll re-read the Simon Calder article again before 7th May when the balance is due. Regards Paul

Hi Bertie,

Not Angus, do you know somebody of that name north of Hadrian's Wall ?

Here's another Simon Calder article on the same theme.

14 days refund warning

He has a Twitter account which will be more up to date - but I haven't yet mastered the black arts of Twitter !!!

Your deposit is not at risk if you pay the balance by the due date - the key issue is how long before P&O cancel and a refund applies ..........and comes through............with the caveat that the aforementioned Travel Package Regulations 2018 remain unaltered.

What date is your "planned" cruise ?

I would be paying the balance, otherwise P&O keep the deposit. However that's not my call. Good Luck.

Edited by WeeCountyMan

Our balance was due on March 6, just over £7k as  we were a party of 4. I obviously didn’t pay it and just presumed we would lose our deposit, but yesterday I received an email from TUI to amend free of charge a future holiday. We may well go ahead with the same holiday next year, but I was quite impressed that they were offering us this. I suppose in the current circumstances it’s good damage limitation. 

Edited by Alijaysau
More info

57 minutes ago, WeeCountyMan said:

Hi Bertie,

Not Angus, do you know somebody of that name north of Hadrian's Wall ?

Here's another Simon Calder article on the same theme.

14 days refund warning

He has a Twitter account which will be more up to date - but I haven't yet mastered the black arts of Twitter !!!

Your deposit is not at risk if you pay the balance by the due date - the key issue is how long before P&O cancel and a refund applies ..........and comes through............with the caveat that the aforementioned Travel Package Regulations 2018 remain unaltered.

What date is your "planned" cruise ?

I would be paying the balance, otherwise P&O keep the deposit. However that's not my call. Good Luck.

Ah, cross purposes. The only wee county I know, North of Hadrians Wall, is called Angus, so I assumed you were from Angus 😳

The "planned" cruise is on the 1st August, Marella EX 2. Newcastle, Invergordon, Lerwick, 3 Icelandic and 3 Norwegian ports. Norway has an embargo on cruise ships at the moment but a lot can happen over the next 4 months.

Good morning All the discovery 2 set sail at 20.54 from Santa Domingo heading for Lisbon expected to get there at 7am on the the 14th April cant see it getting to dock, how long will it take now for TUI/Marella to inform us that the Alantic Vistas is cancelled and allow us to cancel hotel, dog kennels and health care for elderly relatives, Marella have excelled themselve on customer service this time, hopefully they will amend there ways, i wont be booking with them again until i recieve a refund or a better compensation deal, we go a minimum of 2 cruises a year with them, Hopefully it wont be long until there is a Vaccine for the Coronavirus, and life can return to normal, I intend  to give part of my refund to my Local community helping all people struggling emotionally and financially. Take Care Everyone from

John & Libby Hanlon Bo'ness Scotland 

Edited by freedom2009sco

Good morning to you John, hope you are all well, as an outsider to your situation the only thoughts I can offer is that as we all know your holiday will not go ahead it would perhaps be best to cancel all your ancillaries now, probably not much help. Keep safe. 🤗

Edited by Pensioncruiser

Every man,woman and dog know that there will no cruises/flights come the 17th considering non essential travel is in place until at least the 16th

Strange how TUI/Marella havent grasp this

Edited by Jim The Scot

11 hours ago, Jim The Scot said:

Every man,woman and dog know that there will no cruises/flights come the 17th considering non essential travel is in place until at least the 16th

Hi Jim, I can't see anybody Cruising for a while at least October? Minimum.

13 hours ago, Jim The Scot said:

They've grasped this fully Jim - but TUI don't want to formally cancel imminent cruises/holidays as the resulting financial implications will hurt them badly.............................until the Foreign Office announces the next No Travel dates, then there will be action.

Delaying the inevitable in reality.