Coronavirus

1 hour ago, vwgolf said:

Interesting. I had an email several days ago from TUI saying my cruise is cancelled and my "refund should be processed within the next four weeks". I hope they don't use this article as an excuse to welch on their promise!

A point here to remember, when you booked a contract was agreed between you and Marella, this contract states if Marella cancel you will receive a full refund. A change in law does not change a contract unless both sides agree.

How about this to make you laugh?

My TA has just sent me my tickets for my Marella cruise departing 21st April. This is a section of the email;

"Please note that at this stage your cruise is proceeding as planned but under the current circumstances this may change, should this be the case we will contact you closer to departure to discuss your options."

I'd like to know how I'm going to get to the airport, let alone fly out to Jamaica! 

Obviously the computer doesn't 'say no' and is still pumping out paperwork We got our e tickets for 12th April but shortly after we cancelled due to our age and got a full refund within 3 days followed by excursions refund - very pleased, which I'm sure you will 14 days before you're due to fly

14 minutes ago, Vitalsign said:

Obviously the computer doesn't 'say no' and is still pumping out paperwork We got our e tickets for 12th April but shortly after we cancelled due to our age and got a full refund within 3 days followed by excursions refund - very pleased, which I'm sure you will 14 days before you're due to fly

Yes I have faith we will get a refund but I had to laugh when I read the email.

FYI, Just had this email from Tui.  No mention of refunds, but I guess they wouldn't :

We do have other options which you may like to consider and our team are on hand to help you find the best alternatives and talk you through the following options:

• As you’re a valued customer, we’re offering you a discount of £200 per adult and £100 per child on another Marella cruise – providing you book before 30th April 2020. This applies to any cruise currently on sale up to 30th September 2020.

• For sailings further out, we’re offering £50 per adult and £25 per child on another Marella cruise departing between 1st October 2020 to 31st October 2021.

• You can choose a different holiday to an alternative destination of your choice. We won’t charge any amendment fees for this, but if the cost of the holiday is more expensive, you’ll need to pay the difference. If it’s cheaper, we’ll refund the difference in cost. This applies to any of the options above.

We do have other options which you may like to consider and our team are on hand to help you find the best alternatives and talk you through the following options:

This is out of context what does it say before the above statement

Everyone who had a cruise booked which has been cancelled by TUI are entitled to a refund but obviously they are offering incentives to move your cruise to a further date etc

There is talk of them being able to hold your payment and give you a voucher for another holiday, if you don’t use the voucher for two years you can then claim your refund. Perhaps they are holding out for that scenario to come into force. At the moment I am waiting for a refund on a cruise that they cancelled but apart from the email notification of cancellation we have heard nothing.

6 minutes ago, Brummijam said:

There is talk of them being able to hold your payment and give you a voucher for another holiday, if you don’t use the voucher for two years you can then claim your refund. Perhaps they are holding out for that scenario to come into force. At the moment I am waiting for a refund on a cruise that they cancelled but apart from the email notification of cancellation we have heard nothing.

I don’t think they could change to a voucher system for existing bookings as it’s not in the terms and conditions. Maybe for new bookings?

HI, I hope everyone is doing OK in these difficult times.

I am still watching events around the world with disbelief almost. But I have some queries you might be able to help me with.

1) I know the ship isn't a Marella ship, but does anyone know which ship is currently of Equador with cases of Covid 19 on it. It was on the local news a couple of time today, but it didn't say which ship.I just know 4 people have died on it  and it seems passengers don't know when or where they will be disembarking.

2) Also what is the news if any on the Discovery ship that was coming back from Asia, don't know if that was Dis 1 or 2.

3) Finally, on the John Hopkins website the Diamond Princess is showing up as being off of Africa. Is that right? Is it acting as a hospital ship.? I read that the virus was found on board 17 days after the passengers left the ship

stay safe everyone

Sweby

36 minutes ago, sweby said:

HI, I hope everyone is doing OK in these difficult times.

I am still watching events around the world with disbelief almost. But I have some queries you might be able to help me with.

1) I know the ship isn't a Marella ship, but does anyone know which ship is currently of Equador with cases of Covid 19 on it. It was on the local news a couple of time today, but it didn't say which ship.I just know 4 people have died on it  and it seems passengers don't know when or where they will be disembarking.

Looks like it may be the HAL Zaandam :-

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/27/stranded-at-sea-cruise-ships-around-the-world-are-adrift-as-ports-turn-them-away

Thankyou Bertie Doe for the answer to my first question.

I have just read the article you provided the link for. I just can t  imagine being in that situation. Truly grim. Not sure splitting passengers between the Zaandam and Rotterdam is the right one. 

On a separate note, the other thing that article show really is how much more news you get in a newspaper. I watch hours of news during the day on TV, but really after the first 10 minutes the stories are repeated. There is so much world news that the  24 hour news channels do not even mention. 

Well I hope the rest of the passengers on whatever ship they might be on get home soon, and safely. Very sobering times, but it will get better eventually.

Sweby

10 hours ago, Vitalsign said:

Discovery is anchored north west of Kochin India awaiting orders Previously it was shown heading for Muscat but that has changed in the last few days.

Theres no rush to get back to the Med

To clarify that is Discovery 1, Discovery 2 is due to reposition from Jamaica to Naples on 21st April and at this time Marella are saying it is still happening, yeah right!

11 hours ago, sweby said:

Thankyou Bertie Doe for the answer to my first question.

I have just read the article you provided the link for. I just can t  imagine being in that situation. Truly grim. Not sure splitting passengers between the Zaandam and Rotterdam is the right one. 

The Guardian article asks why are 10 ships on holiday cruises NOW? The virus has had plenty of coverage since Jan/Feb, with ships being refused entry and also quarantined.

You mention there's more newspaper news than television. Volume does not necessarily mean accuracy. Two British tabloids dubbed HAL Westerdam as "Plague Ship". You may recall this to be false. I also have serious doubts about ' “The Coronavirus can only survive in cold temperatures, so the Caribbean is a fantastic choice for your next cruise,” said one sales script obtained by the paper.' This was a U.S. paper quote and not The Guardian.

Edited by Bertie Doe

25 minutes ago, MX-Drew said:

To clarify that is Discovery 1, Discovery 2 is due to reposition from Jamaica to Naples on 21st April and at this time Marella are saying it is still happening, yeah right!

The virus may force the cancellation of these cruises (as you suggest). The passengers will get a refund or maybe an offer of a generous voucher? It's bad news for the hard working crew, as most of the them (non officers) are employed by agencies.

Again thanks for that. Yes I agree you have to be selective about the news in some papers , and read around and try and piece things together.

I see Sky news are mentioning the ship (Zaandam) this morning, saying it has been denied access through the Panama. Passengers sick, and 4 died.  

So glad we are not caught up in the problems on board these ships.  It is scary enough being at home, but the trauma some of those passengers must be going through must be awful.    Sweby

Thankyou Vitalsign, that answers my second question, about the Discovery 1. Yes no rush to come back to the Med, and all these ships have to find safe harbour somewhere, possibly for much longer than we might think. It may be some time before the industry can fill all these ships again, even though this is a truely exceptional time. Sweby

Due to pay balance on our  Cruise today which is clearly not going to sail.  Having read the TUI info on line that you can change your booking if your cruise is due to depart before 30th June our plan was to change to a cruise to Asia next year (who knows if it will sail but let us hope and pray this dreadful virus is over by then).  I booked on line and the TUI website says you can amend on line, when I go to my booking it says I must ring.  As I type this been waiting for 40 minutes for TUI to answer the phone.  Anyone else experienced this?  Is there an email I can use to detail and record the difficulties I am having?

The website is not helpful.  The complaints email (and it is not really a complaint so I did not want to use the but only option available) only accepts an email if you are due to travel before the end of the month.  I appreciate they are totally swamped with immediate departures but I would rather not lose the deposit we have paid.   I absolutely acknowledge in  the context of what is going on in the world this is not a big issue - it is only money after all and  our health and  that of our loved ones and the citizens of the world is so much more important.  

Take can and stay safe - hopefully we will be cruising again soon, and appreciating it even more! 

If you need to, call 0800 009 3836 or 0203 636 1997. You can call between: 9am - 7pm (Monday to Friday), 9am – 6pm (Saturday) and 10am-5pm (Sunday).

To make it easy for you, here’s a tool to guide you through your next steps, however you booked. Click here to use the tool – this page will open in a new tab on your browser.

Copied from TUI website for those wanting to change their cruise to a future date without charge We used it and got through to the 0203 number fairly quickly

Available for all cruises going before 30th June and booked before 16th March 20

33 minutes ago, Travellertravel said:

Thank you but since posting I have worked out why I cannot amend on line- we booked car parking.  If you booked parking or insurance you have to ring. Still on hold with the 0203 number 1.55 mins!

What is your date of travel? Ours was the 6th and today was the last day we had to cancel otherwise they would cancel for us and we would lose all monies paid including the deposit. If yours is later than the 6th the cut off is 70 days prior to travel so you would have more time. Good luck 🤞 

Not until June but the balance due today.  Strictly on reading terms if you do not pay you can lose deposit.  Happy to leave it for now but they have not given any indication of extending terms and conditions for final payment.  Clearly not about to pay thousands for a cruise that will not run. Also would like to support TUI by booking for next year as we want the travel companies to be here when this is all over.