Coronavirus

3 hours ago, Rebel Rouser said:

Hi Jim, I can't see anybody Cruising for a while at least October? Minimum.

Hi RR

Yep the kinda timescale I was thinking as well....

1 hour ago, WeeCountyMan said:

They've grasped this fully Jim - but TUI don't want to formally cancel imminent cruises/holidays as the resulting financial implications will hurt them badly.............................until the Foreign Office announces the next No Travel dates, then there will be action.

Delaying the inevitable in reality.

Yeah,true WCM.Having said that there are cruise lines who have cancelled up until June

Small column in one of the rags today saying there will be no air travel for the foreseeable which would mean beyond the initial ban which is up till 16/17th this month

1 minute ago, Jim The Scot said:

Hi RR

Yep the kinda timescale I was thinking as well....

That's my retirement cruise out of the window. But hey ho I'm still alive. The bigger picture I believe is escaping a few fellow passengers at the moment. all about me me me.

5 hours ago, Jim The Scot said:

Yeah,true WCM.Having said that there are cruise lines who have cancelled up until June

Small column in one of the rags today saying there will be no air travel for the foreseeable which would mean beyond the initial ban which is up till 16/17th this month

Based on decades of experience I could never accuse TUI of exemplary customer service.

They are fine - until something goes wrong, then there is generally an absence of joined up thinking.

If the FO's latest No Travel advice is "forseeable future" there will be much head scratching at TUI HQ trying to identify cancellation dates based on such a non specific timetable.

We have a package deal to the Balearics late May, so I'm curious as to how TUI will approach this new scenario.

31 minutes ago, WeeCountyMan said:

Based on decades of experience I could never accuse TUI of exemplary customer service.

They are fine - until something goes wrong, then there is generally an absence of joined up thinking.

If the FO's latest No Travel advice is "forseeable future" there will be much head scratching at TUI HQ trying to identify cancellation dates based on such a non specific timetable.

We have a package deal to the Balearics late May, so I'm curious as to how TUI will approach this new scenario.

We have a TUI package to the Canaries booked to go in 2 Weeks. I can tell you how TUI will approach this scenario. Terms like fingers in ears and heads in the sand, hope it goes away all come to mind. 2 Weeks to go and no contact at all.

2 hours ago, WeeCountyMan said:

To be fair Its difficult for me to be critical of TUI customer service.In all our years using them really cant think of anytime we have had a big issue where we,ve actually required their customer service.That may well all change no doubt in 6 weeks time

Well according to Tui/Marella the transfer cruise from Jamaica to Naples on the 21st is still on! When questioned how when Discovery 2 (the ship we were due to be on) is now on its why to Lisbon? the answer was that information is not correct!!! I can’t wait to see how they get out of this hole they are digging.

Success at last.  Over 3 weeks I've been trying to get an answer to a phone and eventually after 1 hr 10 minutes I was a happy bunny,  the phone was answered.  I deliberately let the phone ring over the hour and 10 minutes later I was speaking to a lovely girl from South Wales.

I was originally told that, as far as they knew, 17 April was still going ahead but sure that would change and to sit tight until they contacted me.  However,  I pointed out the FCO advice to over 70s and Tui's post about refunds or amendments.

35 minutes later the 17 April cruise was cancelled and instead of a refund our payment was moved to a new booking for 21 June 2021.  The deposit for 20 June cruise was also transferred to the new booking leaving a minimal balance to be paid at the end of March 2021.

At least they're playing music now with the occasional apology that all their operators are busy. A worthwhile 1 hour 45 minutes and happy all is sorted..

Good luck to all who still have to get their cruises sorted out. 

20 minutes ago, Jim The Scot said:

To be fair Its difficult for me to be critical of TUI customer service.In all our years using them really cant think of anytime we have had a big issue where we,ve actually required their customer service.That may well all change no doubt in 6 weeks time

Sorry, my fault, I meant dealing with routine client issues as and when they arise in hotels and on cruises, not so much with their customer services staff back at head office.

However, like yourself, that may be about to change.

41 minutes ago, freedom2009sco said:

Good morning All

Well thats us got our boarding passes for our flight from Glasgow to Jamaica on 21st April 2020, i wonder when Marella will make contact and advise that the ship will be in Lisbon and not Montego Bay. 

You could not make this up !!!

Do they know something nobody else does ?🤪

Package holiday giant Jet2 has announced plans to recommence its flights and vacation programme this summer - despite the Government advising against all non-essential travel indefinitely. 

In an email to customers who had booked deals, the airline, which flies to several European destinations from East Midlands Airport, said it would start its flights again from June 17.

Edited by Jim The Scot

9 hours ago, freedom2009sco said:

Good morning All

Well that's us got our boarding passes for our flight from Glasgow to Jamaica on 21st April 2020, i wonder when Marella will make contact and advise that the ship will be in Lisbon and not Montego Bay. 

We have our boarding passes for the 21st April to Jamaica from Gatwick so I guess we are on the same "cruise".

The day after it was announced that people 70 and over were advised not to go on cruises my brother went to his local TA where he booked his cruise  Staff were unaware of this advice but eventually found the information on their system. They cancelled his cruise. The same day he received an email telling him to claim on his insurance.  He contacted his TA again and was told to ignore it as it was a computer generated email.  A few days later he received another email authorising a full refund,  he went to the shop and although he had paid with a credit card they took his bank details and told him the refund would be in his bank account within the week.  22 days later....nothing !

Like us he has always pays by credit card for security.  He is now concerned that Tui are holding his bank details for so long. Tui should have refunded the full amount to his credit card and he then could have sorted it out with his bank. 

By the way the information regarding advice that people aged 70 and over should not go on cruises was removed from the TUI Marella web site the following day. 

How low can Tui go. Depriving senior citizens the refunds they are entitled to and causing them so much anxiety at an already very stressful time. 

We have had a few issues with Thomson / Tui over the years we have been travelling with them and are well aware that their customer service is not the best. The way they have handled this has damaged their reputation even further.

I have told my TA that I'm not interested in the offers Tui / Marella are giving for me to keep my booking with them, I want a full refund.

Also it is against money laundering regulations to refund to a bank account when something was paid for via credit card. All refunds no matter what size should always be back to the original payment method.