Booking directly with Princess?

subaru94

If you have a really good local TA that watches you bookings and give you the service you expect and more.....than stay with it.  For non-Princess voyages we use a local store front TA that does just that but for Princess, we use a certain PVP.  She has been with them for many years and knows the ins and outs, watches our bookings and calls from time to time just to see what else she can do.  We are referred as her "East Coast Parents" and have had a close relationship all during the time we work with her and have become friends on FB with her uncle as well.  People make the difference and we trust her judgement and respect her work habit.  They get compensated on bookings that are completed so they work hard to get that done.

9 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

I still don't understand how booking with a TA means giving up control of your booking?  Would you please elaborate?  Maybe I'm missing something.

Also, the cruise line won't notify someone of a price drop so why is that an issue with a TA?

Giving up control of your booking refers to having to go directly through the TA as Princess will not speak to you about changes or problems that may have come up.  I have been able to contact Princess anytime of day. I work late hours so I was able to call Princess and other cruise lines in the middle of the night to take advantage of price drops and new promotions that are loaded at midnight.  Some of the promotions have limited quantities in terms of booking so making a change is time sensitive. The big box TA's are probably available at all hours as well but the individual TA's don't work 24/7.  I am sure there are a few that go above and beyond for their long itinerary, B2B2B2B Grand suite customers but the average once a year cruiser who books a balcony won't find the same service or perks.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Giving up control of your booking refers to having to go directly through the TA as Princess will not speak to you about changes or problems that may have come up.  I have been able to contact Princess anytime of day. I work late hours so I was able to call Princess and other cruise lines in the middle of the night to take advantage of price drops and new promotions that are loaded at midnight.  Some of the promotions have limited quantities in terms of booking so making a change is time sensitive. The big box TA's are probably available at all hours as well but the individual TA's don't work 24/7.  I am sure there are a few that go above and beyond for their long itinerary, B2B2B2B Grand suite customers but the average once a year cruiser who books a balcony won't find the same service or perks.

It seems the whole control thing is about price drops. Everyone keeps mentioning having to go through a TA to get price drops.  I've been able to get multiple price drops through my TA.  In fact, I've never been unable to get an advertised price drop.  When I use a TA, I start with an 8-10% price drop.  I get that every time I make a booking.  I don't have to rely upon a price drop or promotion that may never happen.  It's a simple process.  I don't have to spend hours on a phone waiting for a cruise line rep.  I compose a simple email describing the drop/promotion and ask the TA for a recommendation.  It's a vary simple process.   Sometimes she says 'go for it', other times she will say 'not in your interest.  Do you know a cruise line employee you would trust to make those kind of recommendations?

16 minutes ago, voljeep said:

again, completely TA dependent

Aren't  Princess vacation planners travel agents too? You have to go thru them to get anything.  Seems like preference. Some like travel agents from their hometown; others like booking directly with cruise company so they can access their info online

46 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

It seems the whole control thing is about price drops. Everyone keeps mentioning having to go through a TA to get price drops.  I've been able to get multiple price drops through my TA.  In fact, I've never been unable to get an advertised price drop.  When I use a TA, I start with an 8-10% price drop.  I get that every time I make a booking.  I don't have to rely upon a price drop or promotion that may never happen.  It's a simple process.  I don't have to spend hours on a phone waiting for a cruise line rep.  I compose a simple email describing the drop/promotion and ask the TA for a recommendation.  It's a vary simple process.   Sometimes she says 'go for it', other times she will say 'not in your interest.  Do you know a cruise line employee you would trust to make those kind of recommendations?

I have never found an agent who discounted a cruise or who could put in a group booking for less than what the cruise line was charging. Most that I was able to find was $50 OBC. I saved more watching for price drops on Princess which happens a lot. I used my warehouse club TA to book a Royal Caribbean cruise and received $250 OBC from a promo the TA has. Royal Caribbean Cruises go up closer to sailing so booking early is imperative when sailing with them. The price went up 300pp by the time of sailing. 

On 2/24/2020 at 9:25 PM, subaru94 said:

We have always booked our cruises through a travel agent for Princess cruises, thinking of booking directly, just wondering pros and cons of booking directly with Princess or should be we go travel agent?

Always book Direct these days have had more trouble with TA's than not!Pulled a booking once because I missed a price reduction and she ignored my emails and phone calls ! Never again! After I pulled the booking she was on the phone and email imagine that!! I turned the tables never answered her 🙂

Edited by Reader0108598
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

I have never found an agent who discounted a cruise or who could put in a group booking for less than what the cruise line was charging. Most that I was able to find was $50 OBC. I saved more watching for price drops on Princess which happens a lot. I used my warehouse club TA to book a Royal Caribbean cruise and received $250 OBC from a promo the TA has. Royal Caribbean Cruises go up closer to sailing so booking early is imperative when sailing with them. The price went up 300pp by the time of sailing. 

It's a shame CC prohibits sharing information on TA because that costs passengers millions of dollars annually.   CC takes advertising revenue from certain TA.  

If fares only go up closer to bookings then any advantage from booking directly would seem to go away.

But as I, and many others here on CC, have said there are TA who do discount fares.  It would seem that OBC from a TA is the equivalent of a discount since TA OBC is almost always refundable.

1 hour ago, Iamcruzin said:

I have never found an agent who discounted a cruise or who could put in a group booking for less than what the cruise line was charging. Most that I was able to find was $50 OBC.

You need to find a much better TA.  As a number of posters here have mentioned, some TAs (including mine) start with a significant discount and then may also throw in OBCs and/or specialty dining.

53 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

It's a shame CC prohibits sharing information on TA because that costs passengers millions of dollars annually.   CC takes advertising revenue from certain TA. 

I can understand CC wanting to protect its advertisers.  Attending the CC Meet and Greet (or Meet & Mingle on other lines) is a great way to get information about TAs.  Just ask some fellow passengers!

4 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

Glad you have a good TA 🙂 However I have not had good luck not a control thing but when I email or call I expect an answer in a reasonable amount of time ! Have been on 29 cruises not a PITA ,know more about the cabins than most of them so I book direct ! Works for me when I call someone answers my call! Simple as that 😞

Edited by Reader0108598

On ‎2‎/‎25‎/‎2020 at 1:11 PM, sttopmh said:

If one does book directly with Princess, is there any advantage to booking through a Princess Vacation Planner? We get a few emails a year from one, but have never responded to her.

We always use a Princess Vacation Planner and it has worked out great.  We had 6 couples going on the Regal last year.  4 of us booked with the same Princess Planner...the other 2 with their own TA.  It just so happened that all 4 of us were offered an upgrade from a Balcony to a mini-suite at no charge.  Of course, we had 6 balconies all together, so when we said absolutely, the other 2 couldn't get in on the deal because they booked with the TA.  Eventually, they got an upgrade and moved in the mini's near the rest of the group, but it cost them an up-charge. 

Anyway, long story short...we have never had an issue with a Princess Planner...used the same one multiple times and she has been awesome!!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, USCcruisecrazy said:

We always use a Princess Vacation Planner and it has worked out great.  We had 6 couples going on the Regal last year.  4 of us booked with the same Princess Planner...the other 2 with their own TA.  It just so happened that all 4 of us were offered an upgrade from a Balcony to a mini-suite at no charge.  Of course, we had 6 balconies all together, so when we said absolutely, the other 2 couldn't get in on the deal because they booked with the TA.  Eventually, they got an upgrade and moved in the mini's near the rest of the group, but it cost them an up-charge. 

Anyway, long story short...we have never had an issue with a Princess Planner...used the same one multiple times and she has been awesome!!

Just becareful you could not get me off a Caribe deck for a mini on some ships Just depends what ship!

Edited by Reader0108598

21 minutes ago, Reader0108598 said:

Just becareful you could not get me off a Caribe deck for a mini on some ships Just depends what ship!

That's a fair point.  It just so happens that on the Regal, the mini's were on Caribe.  I understand the balconies on some ships are smaller on different decks, but either way, we would rather have the extra interior room and the couch then a larger balcony.

Curious though...what ships do you recommend staying on Caribe as opposed to taking a free upgrade to a mini?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, USCcruisecrazy said:

That's a fair point.  It just so happens that on the Regal, the mini's were on Caribe.  I understand the balconies on some ships are smaller on different decks, but either way, we would rather have the extra interior room and the couch then a larger balcony.

Curious though...what ships do you recommend staying on Caribe as opposed to taking a free upgrade to a mini?

We will jump in and say the Grand Class ships.  In most cases we prefer the Caribe Deck balcony cabins because they have a large balcony which has both a covered and open area.  The Mini's on Dolphin Deck have a completely uncovered balcony which offers no privacy from folks on the above decks.  It is a tough call because we do enjoy the extra space in the mini's, but would still opt for a Caribe Deck balcony if we will cruising in a warm weather climate.  

Hank

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, USCcruisecrazy said:

Coral, Carribean , Crown  just to name a few you can tell by looking at deck plans 🙂 Just trying to help a fellow cruiser 🙂

Edited by Reader0108598

4 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

We will jump in and say the Grand Class ships.  In most cases we prefer the Caribe Deck balcony cabins because they have a large balcony which has both a covered and open area.  The Mini's on Dolphin Deck have a completely uncovered balcony which offers no privacy from folks on the above decks.  It is a tough call because we do enjoy the extra space in the mini's, but would still opt for a Caribe Deck balcony if we will cruising in a warm weather climate.  

Hank

You got it Hank! 🙂

42 minutes ago, Reader0108598 said:

Sorry that did not make a lot of sense phone rang ! What I meant to say is sometimes an upgrade is not an upgrade I would keep my Grand class caribe deck over a mini any time 🙂

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Reader0108598 said:

Glad you have a good TA 🙂 However I have not had good luck not a control thing but when I email or call I expect an answer in a reasonable amount of time ! Have been on 29 cruises not a PITA ,know more about the cabins than most of them so I book direct ! Works for me when I call someone answers my call! Simple as that 😞

I do not rely upon a TA for advice on cabins.  The email I send to my TA to initiate a booking includes the exact cabin, by number, that I want.  I also specify the ship and date.  I have found my TA knows more than I do about fares.  For example, she alerted me to the Best Sale Ever before it happened.  I've never had to wait for answers either.  

I can't be very precise but I found my TA by paying attention to posts here on CC.  Sometimes posters say things they shouldn't.

No way I'd book directly and lose a 8-10% discount.

On 2/27/2020 at 4:50 AM, RocketMan275 said:

I compose a simple email describing the drop/promotion and ask the TA for a recommendation.  It's a vary simple process.   Sometimes she says 'go for it', other times she will say 'not in your interest.  Do you know a cruise line employee you would trust to make those kind of recommendations?

All the time with both my HAL PCC and my Princess CVP. 

18 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

I do not rely upon a TA for advice on cabins.  The email I send to my TA to initiate a booking includes the exact cabin, by number, that I want.  I also specify the ship and date.  I have found my TA knows more than I do about fares.  For example, she alerted me to the Best Sale Ever before it happened.  I've never had to wait for answers either.  

I can't be very precise but I found my TA by paying attention to posts here on CC.  Sometimes posters say things they shouldn't.

No way I'd book directly and lose a 8-10% discount.

I don't rely on anyone for cabin advice ,i have cruised enough now to know where I want to be on a ship! My reason for pulling that booking was no answer to my email or calls I did include all information in my email! If that had been direct through Princess I can talk to anyone there to get a price drop.I have tried my share of TA's but find booking direct works better for me! 

Edited by Reader0108598

On 2/26/2020 at 1:12 PM, RocketMan275 said:

Can you explain  how booking directly with Princess increases your control over your booking. I've done it both ways and haven't seen a difference between the two.

Sorry I haven't responded sooner, but I just saw your question posed to me.  

Not sure why there's a double post here, but it won't let me delete either one. 

Edited by 5:00_Somewhere

On 2/26/2020 at 1:12 PM, RocketMan275 said:

Can you explain  how booking directly with Princess increases your control over your booking. I've done it both ways and haven't seen a difference between the two.

I think others have addressed the control issue, but for me it's as others have said: I find it frustrating that, if I book with a TA I can only talk to the TA and the cruise line (or other vacation provider) won't talk to me. I've had issues with TAs being slow to act (causing us to lose or fear losing a preferred cabin or deal); being slow to respond to questions or when issues have arisen; getting something wrong and being slow (in my opinion) to remedy it; and, in one instance, almost missing our final payment deadline, even though we were on top of it and "bugging" the TA about it. All of these things, are frustrating for me and cause more angst than I am personally willing to accept in relation to what is supposed to be a relaxing vacation. But, as I said, that's me; it causes me more stress not being in control - even in the best of circumstances - than it does dealing with the details myself. Same with airline reservations (including when I've been stuck halfway around the world due to weather, strife, mechnaical issues, etc.), hotel issues, etc. I'd just rather handle it myself than wait around trusting that someone else will take care of an issue.  Personal preference.

Edited by 5:00_Somewhere
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, 5:00_Somewhere said:

I think others have addressed the control issue, but for me it's as others have said: I find it frustrating that, if I book with a TA I can only talk to the TA and the cruise line (or other vacation provider) won't talk to me. I've had issues with TAs being slow to act (causing us to lose or fear losing a preferred cabin or deal); being slow to respond to questions or when issues have arisen; getting something wrong and being slow (in my opinion) to remedy it; and, in one instance, almost missing our final payment deadline, even though we were on top of it and "bugging" the TA about it. All of these things, are frustrating for me and cause more angst than I am personally willing to accept in relation to what is supposed to be a relaxing vacation. But, as I said, that's me; it causes me more stress not being in control - even in the best of circumstances - than it does dealing with the details myself. Same with airline reservations (including when I've been stuck halfway around the world due to weather, strife, mechnaical issues, etc.), hotel issues, etc. I'd just rather handle it myself than wait around trusting that someone else will take care of an issue.  Personal preference.

I don't think anyone has truly explained why they retain more control over their booking when they book direct rather than with a TA.  I've simply not experienced such a loss of control.  Perhaps that's because I have an excellent TA.  I've found her to be far more responsive than a cruise line employee.  I never spend a significant amount of time on hold, I get timely responses, etc.  What I find amusing is the claim that some TA never check for price drops.  Well, so what, name a cruise line that will automatically apply price drops to a direct booking.

I don't use a TA to book airlines and hotels.  I book those directly.  I'm willing to deal through a TA because I can save hundreds of dollars each cruise. 

• Like 1

On 2/27/2020 at 5:40 AM, AF-1 said:

Aren't  Princess vacation planners travel agents too? You have to go thru them to get anything.  Seems like preference. Some like travel agents from their hometown; others like booking directly with cruise company so they can access their info online

Not exactly. I use a PVP can deal with 1800Princess if the PVP office is closed (after hours & weekends). If you use TAs you must go through the TA

• Like 1