Live Blog Splendor 2/25

crusin7

Good afternoon!  Cathy and I had a successful morning.  She won the first Bingo and I Split the last.   We met up with our Bingo buddies from our past Tokyo to Vancouver cruise. It was held in the Meridian Lounge and was well attended.

Lunch was a Seafood Extravaganza.  It also was well attended.  Lots of choices with sushi and crab claws being the most popular.

258FC927-34B3-4E3C-B581-06BF3740F07A.thumb.jpeg.1e14035e6ba0e7812b5976fbfaa93409.jpeg

22203324-DFB6-4290-8D3C-81A9ED01711D.thumb.jpeg.fe061f0ef18480395654339761084db8.jpeg

Pacific Rim tonight.  I am looking forward to all that deliciousness!

The Internet has been slow to nonexistent.  Maybe it will improve in Cayman Islands.

15 minutes ago, crusin7 said:

We have stayed in the Master Suite on Explorer twice....once on 8 and once on 9.  Our closet and bathroom seem bigger on Splendor.  The shower is huge.  The living room seems smaller.  There is no chair by the sofa.  The sofa is pushed up near the TV.  Very cramped.

Interesting - I did not notice that in the photos.  A huge shower is a great thing.  We won’t be in a Splendor Master suite until 2021 (will be in Splendor and Explorer suites this year).  

Thank you all for your kind words.  Now to the good stuff....food pics!  Pacific Rim was excellent.  We had lots of Sake so it tasted even better!  Daniella does a fantastic job as Manager.  Plus she is the sweetest person.  Maria Tancredi, Restaurant Manager, will be leaving Splendor tomorrow to join the Navigator in Australia as the new Food and Beverage Director.  Congrats to her.  We will miss her.  Tonight was the Captains welcome party.  We skipped it.  Sorry Captain.

First Bites...Seaweed with spicy mayo and Edamame 

B4107B77-F2D2-4327-807B-FAF9E459F81C.thumb.jpeg.f65c089af2da6194bca59034b106d7a2.jpeg

Alaskan Crab Summer Roll...a new item.  Delicious and light..crab, grapefruit, lettuce and carrots.  It is served with a spicy sauce.  I just used Wasabi.  Will definitely get again.  Very yummy!

E563CDF8-D6F9-4CA8-977E-4B50496F1723.thumb.jpeg.5ed702e0ecca7e619d2263bbcb94cf19.jpeg

Lobster Tempura

B6062333-9EB0-48AC-8FE3-D130CD26926D.thumb.jpeg.b323271dbe46d1c8900b4603f9252aec.jpeg

8 minutes ago, crusin7 said:

Thank you all for your kind words.  Now to the good stuff....food pics!  Pacific Rim was excellent.  We had lots of Sake so it tasted even better!  Daniella does a fantastic job as Manager.  Plus she is the sweetest person.  Maria Tancredi, Restaurant Manager, will be leaving Splendor tomorrow to join the Navigator in Australia as the new Food and Beverage Director.  Congrats to her.  We will miss her.  Tonight was the Captains welcome party.  We skipped it.  Sorry Captain.

First Bites...Seaweed with spicy mayo and Edamame 

B4107B77-F2D2-4327-807B-FAF9E459F81C.thumb.jpeg.f65c089af2da6194bca59034b106d7a2.jpeg

Alaskan Crab Summer Roll...a new item.  Delicious and light..crab, grapefruit, lettuce and carrots.  It is served with a spicy sauce.  I just used Wasabi.  Will definitely get again.  Very yummy!

E563CDF8-D6F9-4CA8-977E-4B50496F1723.thumb.jpeg.5ed702e0ecca7e619d2263bbcb94cf19.jpeg

Lobster Tempura

B6062333-9EB0-48AC-8FE3-D130CD26926D.thumb.jpeg.b323271dbe46d1c8900b4603f9252aec.jpeg

That looks over the top delicious (the crab summer roll).  Will have it in a little over two weeks!

We also have lots of sake when we are in Pacific Rim!

Edited by Travelcat2

A question - Edamame beans.   We first encountered those in Red Ginger on Riviera 2 years ago.  Never seen them before.  Now we have them in our local supermarket here in Switzerland.  Here they are shelled.   On Riviera they were as you pictured them.   Do you then shell them yourself?  We like the shelled beans but since we didn't know about those we tried to eat the entire thing and did not like the pod.   I think we made a mistake...did we??

My husband just saw your photo of the lobster tempura and swooned.  Well - he has to wait 2 weeks!!!

2 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

Do you then shell them yourself?  We like the shelled beans but since we didn't know about those we tried to eat the entire thing and did not like the pod.   I think we made a mistake...did we??

Yes, you shell them yourself.  We only eat the pea inside.  There are usually 3 peas sometimes 4.    You squeeze them into your mouth.  Yummy. They are usually steamed and salted.  These were steamed with a spice I couldn’t identify.  I’ll ask next time.  I prefer traditional.  

Today we are in Cayman Islands.  We should arrive at 8:00am.  We will be anchored.  There will be 6 other ships in port! 

Coconut Tapioca Pudding lemongrass & watermelon jelly, mango sauce

A25E380C-A417-478F-BFF7-4E4BDA45E50C.thumb.jpeg.8cb4e2e5359c5fd353d6bcfa84413f1f.jpeg

3F67548F-58D5-4B39-A8BC-A921CB3B4D26.jpeg

• Like 1

We also skipped the Captain’s Welcome as we met the Captain and almost all the senior staff at our very well attended meet and mingle. The staff graciously stopped and spoke to everyone in attendance.  It was really a nice affair. Thank you Regent

20 hours ago, Christine4 said:

Could you please tell me the cost of the spa treatments? 

I tried to upload photos of spa menu but it takes forever.

Massage

Swedish 50 minutes $139

75 minutes $199

90 minute $229

Deep tissue 

50/$179

75/$219

90/$249

Facials

Age defying $159

Calming $149

Antioxidant $139

Nails

Mani $45

Pedi $53. 

For your convenience I suggested 18% service charge will be applied to the final bill. The service charge is discretionary and can be modified for exemplary service or to a percentage of your choosing    

Let me know if you have a specific treatment in mind.  

5 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

A question - Edamame beans.   We first encountered those in Red Ginger on Riviera 2 years ago.  Never seen them before.  Now we have them in our local supermarket here in Switzerland.  Here they are shelled.   On Riviera they were as you pictured them.   Do you then shell them yourself?  We like the shelled beans but since we didn't know about those we tried to eat the entire thing and did not like the pod.   I think we made a mistake...did we??

My husband just saw your photo of the lobster tempura and swooned.  Well - he has to wait 2 weeks!!!

As Crusin7 said, you squeeze edamame out of the pod.  But as you do, put the pod in your mouth to get the salt off the pod.  The salt really adds to the flavor.  

Thanks for the explanation.   Now I know!  And probably also know why I got some odd looks when I ate the entire thing!!

Eagleslover - how many were you at the M&M ??  I have 53 on the list for ours.

Edited by Hambagahle
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, crusin7 said:

877066861_tapiocapudding2.jpg.f3470b206b30047644b45b4d921a1154.jpg

.............. not!

Hi Crisy,

Looks like you are having a fabulous cruise.

David tried the Tapioca in Pacific Rim last year and wasn't impressed, but that was just his bad choice 😉

Love to Cathy & Jim

• Like 1

crusin7:  My wife and I will be on Splendor soon so we both are enjoying and appreciate your posts and photos!  They really help to increase our level of excitement.

If you have a moment could you please look at the premium wine list to see if Regent is offering a Pinot Noir from the State of Oregon?  I would be very interested in what, if anything, is available and the price per bottle.

Thank you!

1 hour ago, shuguley said:

crusin7:  My wife and I will be on Splendor soon so we both are enjoying and appreciate your posts and photos!  They really help to increase our level of excitement.

If you have a moment could you please look at the premium wine list to see if Regent is offering a Pinot Noir from the State of Oregon?  I would be very interested in what, if anything, is available and the price per bottle.

Thank you!

Not a premium wine and not on Splendor, but last year on Explorer they had a nice Sokol-Blosser pino on their included wine list. 

4 hours ago, shuguley said:

Thank you!

shuguley there is 1 Pinot Noir from Willamette Valley 2016 Archery Summit Arcus Estate

for $135.  Restrained and elegant, this deeply flavored Pinot Noir takes a masculine turn with threads of iron filings,  earth and herb. The blueberry and plum fruit flavors are set against drying tannins. 

The US Cruise Critic website is down.  Because Flossie replied I was able to answer on U.K.  Thanks Sue.  Did you and David find a new Birthday cruise??

We had a fantastic time on our Swimming with the stingrays excursion.  We held them and kissed them for 7 years good luck.  If we French kissed them it was a lifetime of good luck....we weren’t that brave.

F355925D-27AE-4C7F-B5DE-A9C652DB2CA6.thumb.jpeg.5ad3cadfbf035124b73316d8d132f251.jpeg

Kissing a female.  The males are very small in comparison.

095A337F-BB55-4D80-B994-C0928C4DEE6F.thumb.jpeg.4775bd65b3644e0c145ef962c1c4c3d5.jpeg

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, crusin7 said:

Did you and David find a new Birthday cruise??

With the first segment of our cruise cancelled 😕we are now scheduled to board Voyager in Abu Dhabi on April 16 - a bit late for "our" birthday but we will celebrate anyway. Fingers crossed there are no more cancellations/alterations.

Very disappointed that we will miss out on our planned stay in Bangkok. We went to see the touring production of "The King & I" on Tuesday evening; very good but not quite the same!!

7 minutes ago, flossie009 said:

Very disappointed that we will miss out on our planned stay in Bangkok. We went to see the touring production of "The King & I" on Tuesday evening; very good but not quite the same!!

Et Cetera, Et Cetera, Et Cetera!  I followed all of your Asian cruise thread.  I felt so bad for all of you and the crew.   We feel very fortunate to be cruising Panama Canal and not Asia.  Last year we did Tokyo to Vancouver.  Have a wonderful cruise and Happy Birthday early!

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, crusin7 said:

We had lots of Sake so it tasted even better!  

18 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

We also have lots of sake when we are in Pacific Rim!

Can you offer any suggestions for sake?  We are interested in trying, but know nothing about it.  Do you think that hot or cold is better?  We don't think we would like anything too sweet.

Bob

21 minutes ago, boblerm said:

Can you offer any suggestions for sake?  We are interested in trying, but know nothing about it.  Do you think that hot or cold is better?  We don't think we would like anything too sweet.

Bob

Supposedly the proper way is to drink it cold.  I’ve tried it both ways -it depends upon my mood as to which I order.  If I remember correctly, there are five choices at Pacific Rim.  I’ve tried all five but now ask what the server prefers.  If I saw a list I’d know which one I like the most.  For many people it is an acquired taste and is definitely not sweet.  For me, it goes with Asian dishes. 

I know - not a great response.  Maybe the four of us should have dinner in Pacific Rim - each order one of them and do a taste test!  😇

12 hours ago, crusin7 said:

Today we are in Cayman Islands.  We should arrive at 8:00am.  We will be anchored.  There will be 6 other ships in port! 

A25E380C-A417-478F-BFF7-4E4BDA45E50C.thumb.jpeg.8cb4e2e5359c5fd353d6bcfa84413f1f.jpeg

This really looks good and I don't really care for Tapioca.  But I'm going to order this one.  Thanks again for all the photos and your post. 

Hi Bob.  We definitely drink sake cold.  They asked us what we were eating and paired the sake accordingly.  It was not sweet.  There are 3 choices for cold.  On our last cruise we tasted all 3.  Each was delicious.  I will try and find out the names next time we go. 

10 hours ago, crusin7 said:

I tried to upload photos of spa menu but it takes forever.

Massage

Swedish 50 minutes $139

75 minutes $199

90 minute $229

Deep tissue 

50/$179

75/$219

90/$249

Facials

Age defying $159

Calming $149

Antioxidant $139

Nails

Mani $45

Pedi $53. 

For your convenience I suggested 18% service charge will be applied to the final bill. The service charge is discretionary and can be modified for exemplary service or to a percentage of your choosing    

Let me know if you have a specific treatment in mind.  

Thank you very much!!  What about just a wash and blow out

Edited by Christine4