Will RCCL change European itineraries in light of the c-virus?

23 minutes ago, livylotte said:

I think it's too late to shut the door.  This virus is everywhere and we can't stop it.   The Chinese have managed it well - I don't see the rest of the World being so successful at containing it.  Their people have for the most part done as they are told, accepted the quarantine and stayed indoors, the people of the western world will not be so compliant.

For the immediate future I think there will be a LOT of Caribbean sailings.  This virus is not going to go away and will be with us for years to come.  Going forward  - it will become another annual jab to add to the list.

The Chinese have managed it well??? Are you serious??

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, klfrodo said:

In all reality, this is probably what mother earth needs to survive. A world wide pandemic to reduce the worlds human population by 1/3

And since I'm over 60, that means I'm probably one of the chosen few to go. But, I'm going down swinging on my terms. On a holiday if possible.

Seriously? ...Not that matters but obviously dont know the Fatality Rate is anyway

12 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

We're planning watching Contagion while on Allure next week.😉

At least they had a vaccine pretty quick in the movie. CDC said at least a year or two away following protocols. 

It’s also believed that the virus is likely to die off some when weather turns hot. 

Edited by Milwaukee Eight
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

I'm surprised it hasn't hit N.Y. yet.

With JFK International on the outskirts of Manhatten it is just a matter of time.

There have been times on the subways and in Time Square when I've been packed closer together with people than when on an airplane.

• Like 2

Just now, Ocean Boy said:

With JFK International on the outskirts of Manhattan it is just a matter of time.

DW works for NYU Hospital. I keep waiting for the call. They get all of the alerts even if someone goes to an emergency room outside of NYU. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, marci22 said:

I know, with the amount of international travelers coming and going and the density of people. I guess wait a week.

Then all of the cruises leaving from Manhattan, Brooklyn and Cape Liberty that serve the Caribbean will be canceled

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Then all of the cruises leaving from Manhattan, Brooklyn and Cape Liberty that serve the Caribbean will be canceled

Or, initially at least, they will sail only to find themselves with no place that will let them port when they get down there.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ocean Boy said:

Or, initially at least, they will sail only to find themselves with no place that will let them port when they get down there.

That's my issue with cruising now. All dressed up and no place to go. As far as Corona is concerned, I stand a better chance of getting it going to work living in my geographical location. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ckrobyn said:

In reality, you can go to any public place and touch a handrail, or go to a restaurant and sit at a table that someone with the virus just sat at and never know it.  I think the key is to keep living life, but be vigilant about proper hand washing and keep your hands away from your face. While this whole thing is crazy scary, it also means people will be more careful and alert when it comes to sanitizing which isn't a bad thing.  I am cruising on Sunday and yes, this whole situation has me unnerved, but I am not going to let it ruin my vacation. A week without current TV news is probably what I need right now.  Media focuses on how many people die from the disease - not how many get it and live.

People seem to forget that the virus didn't start on a cruise ship. People who were living their everyday life spread it around.   

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ckrobyn said:

In reality, you can go to any public place and touch a handrail, or go to a restaurant and sit at a table that someone with the virus just sat at and never know it.  I think the key is to keep living life, but be vigilant about proper hand washing and keep your hands away from your face. While this whole thing is crazy scary, it also means people will be more careful and alert when it comes to sanitizing which isn't a bad thing.  I am cruising on Sunday and yes, this whole situation has me unnerved, but I am not going to let it ruin my vacation. A week without current TV news is probably what I need right now.  Media focuses on how many people die from the disease - not how many get it and live.

Not that I would ever disagree with you on anything but there is a bit of difference between viruses that are spread by the fecal -oral route (Noro) and those spread by the respiratory route (Corona). All the hand washing in the world will not protect you from the inconsiderate person who sneezes or coughs and just can't bring themselves to cover it. 

• Like 2

Just now, Ocean Boy said:

Not that I would ever disagree with you on anything but there is a bit of difference between viruses that are spread by the fecal -oral route (Noro) and those spread by the respiratory route (Corona). All the hand washing in the world will not protect you from the inconsiderate person who sneezes or coughs and just can't bring themselves to cover it. 

I get that too, but at least it is doing something to protect yourself that is within your control....

As you know I am cruising on Oasis this Sunday - I think if my cruise was any later I may have canceled if things are going to get worse in the US.  I really wish the media would report all the resolved cases and not focus solely on the fatalities.

13 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Actually, the hand washing advice for Corona came directly from the CDC. If you are in immediate, direct contact with a contagious individual and they cough/sneeze on you, then sure, washing hands won't prevent that. It's the surface touching that washing hands protects against. If somebody with the virus coughs into their hand and then touches a door knob that you later touch, you won't necessarily get sick until the virus enters your system. Washing your hands before you touch your eyes, nose, or mouth, can greatly reduce the likelihood of actually contracting the virus via "high-touch" surfaces.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, ckrobyn said:

I get that too, but at least it is doing something to protect yourself that is within your control....

As you know I am cruising on Oasis this Sunday - I think if my cruise was any later I may have canceled if things are going to get worse in the US.  I really wish the media would report all the resolved cases and not focus solely on the fatalities.

The media is all about hype. The news is secondary. Look what had happened to the stock market. We are not talking about the Plague here.

3 minutes ago, awestover89 said:

Actually, the hand washing advice for Corona came directly from the CDC. If you are in immediate, direct contact with a contagious individual and they cough/sneeze on you, then sure, washing hands won't prevent that. It's the surface touching that washing hands protects against. If somebody with the virus coughs into their hand and then touches a door knob that you later touch, you won't necessarily get sick until the virus enters your system. Washing your hands before you touch your eyes, nose, or mouth, can greatly reduce the likelihood of actually contracting the virus via "high-touch" surfaces.

Thanks, I am well aware of that. I was simply pointing out the difference.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

With JFK International on the outskirts of Manhatten it is just a matter of time.

There have been times on the subways and in Time Square when I've been packed closer together with people than when on an airplane.

My wife has been packed in on buses, subways and the Long Island railroad commuting for 20yrs now. When they cancel trains she is suck in an over crowed Penn Station. Like I said earlier, I keep waiting for the call telling me she isn't coming home because the hospital has been quarantined. 

Edited by Iamcruzin

33 minutes ago, ckrobyn said:

As they say, " No news is good news".