Will RCCL change European itineraries in light of the c-virus?

9 minutes ago, livylotte said:

I'm no expert but the WHO are and they have nothing but praise for Beijing's measures to insulate the outbreak. 

AFTER they sat on it and lied to the WHO about it for a month; and eliminated the physician with the most information to share on the virus. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

yes. I can't even remember when I loaded the old one.

Judging from the graininess of the photo in your old avatar, I'd guess you loaded it circa 1980.

Ha. Just kidding. This, coming from a guy who is to lazy to even change his to one of the preload avatars the CC provides.

2 hours ago, HBE4 said:

Judging from the graininess of the photo in your old avatar, I'd guess you loaded it circa 1980.

Ha. Just kidding. This, coming from a guy who is to lazy to even change his to one of the preload avatars the CC provides.

3 hours ago, HBE4 said:

The graininess came from the last CC update.   Below is circa 1991. Notice the full head of brown hair. Also notice in 1991 on the Crown Princess I removed my tuxedo jacket. I guess I should save this photo for the next formal night thread.

Crown Princess may 91.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Iamcruzin said:

The graininess came from the last CC update.   Below is circa 1991. Notice the full head of brown hair. Also notice in 1991 on the Crown Princess I removed my tuxedo jacket. I guess I should save this photo for the next formal night thread.

Very nice. You and your lovely bride have aged gracefully. 👍

But ...****gasp****.... you took your tuxedo jacket off on formal night?? The nerve!!! This was even before casual Friday's were a thing in the workplace. Surely it must've started the decline and fall of western civilization. 😆

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Iamcruzin said:

Also notice in 1991 on the Crown Princess I removed my tuxedo jacket. I guess I should save this photo for the next formal night thread.

So you are the one responsible for the decline in MDR decorum leading to the countless threads about said subject on these boards.

• Haha 3

21 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

We're planning watching Contagion while on Allure next week.😉

We'll be on board with you.  We're taking Lysol wipes for cabin hard surfaces, face masks in case we need them, Tylenol because, for a litnany of reasons I can't take asprin, lots of vitamins because I read there is some indication that having the body "well-stocked" with vitamins may retard the chances of the infection "taking hold--" though I, too, have read that no one really knows what to do for protection other than wash hands and avoid touching the face. 

I did call Royal Diamond Plus help desk to ask if there were any updates we haven't received a notice about.  She went to check with someone and came back to report that she has been getting calls all day (hardly a surprise) and that there are, as of now, no changes.  She said they are monitoring constantly and things are being updated all the time, and updates are issued publicly every 12 hours--but as of now, nothing regarding the sailing next week on the Allure.  She did say that if they are sailing to a port, [you passengers]… will be safe because they are monitoring.

I'm as concerned about being on a plane to get there (certainly within 6 feet of lots of people by the time we get to the plane, let alone on it) as a source of contagion for us and also realizing that most people on the ship will have flown in from somewhere and taken the same risk of contagion.

I don't believe in living my life in a box to achieve safety, but on the other hand, I feel we're taking some risk, though conceivably, not as much as those who are remaining at home:  China's first problems were the worst, and as time went on, the spread and the deaths seemed to lessen.  At least we'll have already experienced almost a full quarantine period by the time we dock; could be the worst will have passed.  At any rate, since Royal is taking Allure to dry dock, they won't change that plan for anything but the most serious situation imaginable (despite their updating constantly and wanting nothing but our safety).

2 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

Crown Princess may 91.jpg

Nice bride.

FWIW, Crown Princess was the prettiest ship ever. It would look brand new today.

tapatalk_1539393757770.jpeg.d435fdc9df9deb84942ccadd8295973b.jpeg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Nice bride.

FWIW, Crown Princess was the prettiest ship ever. It would look brand new today.

tapatalk_1539393757770.jpeg.d435fdc9df9deb84942ccadd8295973b.jpeg

I sailed on the original Crown Princess - agree it was a beautiful ship.

18 hours ago, ckrobyn said:

I really wish the media would report all the resolved cases and not focus solely on the fatalities.

Totally agree. In fact, virus aside, I think the media should be obliged to report one piece of good news for every piece of bad news that they so gleefully put the spotlight on. So much doom, gloom and depression. Let's have something uplifting. (I know, I know... never going to happen 😐).

On 2/25/2020 at 6:02 PM, klfrodo said:

Why not? It's happened in the past and will again in the future. The only question is,,,, is the future now?

The difference is that both the ability to communicate worldwide and advancements in medical science/healthcare are SO much better now. 

On 2/25/2020 at 8:30 PM, livylotte said:

The Chinese have managed it well - I don't see the rest of the World being so successful at containing it.  Their people have for the most part done as they are told, accepted the quarantine and stayed indoors, the people of the western world will not be so compliant.

You're joking, right?  Look what they did to the doctor who tried to warn others about it way back in December.  Look at the false numbers they put out initially.  In an effort to "save face" and not let the world know something bad was happening in China they put the entire world at a disadvantage.

22 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

The media is all about hype. The news is secondary. Look what had happened to the stock market. We are not talking about the Plague here.

Exactly, only I'd add to that and say hype and fear.  The media thrives on both; its how they survive.  As for the stock market, it will rebound.  Might not be today or tomorrow or next month, but it will rebound.  There have been any number of events that caused sudden and drastic downturns in the market, and the media always hypothesized doomsday scenarios as a result, but they have never materialized. 

20 hours ago, livylotte said:

I'm no expert but the WHO are and they have nothing but praise for Beijing's measures to insulate the outbreak. 

Yeah, but only AFTER they got caught with their pants down. 

Our 11-night cruise from Rome to Barcelona on Legend of the Seas is due to depart on 8th April - only a month away. This the 1st RCI cruise in the region this season.

With Italy now up to 1694 cases and 34 deaths from Coronavirus; I can't see RCI departing from any Italian port anytime in the near future. If they did still leave from Rome, they could be refused entry at other ports. 

As the ship is coming from the Middle East, I'm guessing they could rearrange the later part of the cruise to finish in Athens - also avoiding Naples. Then start this cruise from Athens - eliminating the other 2 Italian ports and possibly the 2 French ports. They would possibly include other ports like Malta on the way to Spain.  

They would have to reimburse passengers' flight change costs.

We live in uncertain times!

Brian 

I do have knowledge that Voyager OTS will be repositioned to LA by Sept.  

IMO this timeframe could accelerate with the increased spread of CV

but with Trump threatening a southern border shut down, who knows what’s going to happen... with really any of the Ships...

3 hours ago, Barecruiser said:

Is it not the Jewel and not the Legend?

Opps....senior moment! I don't know what made me write the wrong ship - this was our 1st RCI cruise back in 2008🙃.

The Jewel also gets to Italy before Celebrity and Princess. The Italian ships (MSC & Costa) seem to be using Rome.

Brian

2 hours ago, csnarpy said:

but with Trump threatening a southern border shut down, who knows what’s going to happen... with really any of the Ships...

Yes, I think Voyager only comes down under for the northern winter.

Brian

All of Italy is now part of RC's ban. Got a text/email this morning.

Anyone travelling from, to, or through Italy within 15 days will be denied boarding.

Jewel is scheduled to leave Dubai for Italy in 3 weeks. Wonder what will happen to that sailing. Are they really going to deny boarding to anyone who's been in Italy, then take the ship TO Italy?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, gi_pam said:

Anyone travelling from, to, or through Italy within 15 days will be denied boarding.

Jewel is scheduled to leave Dubai for Italy in 3 weeks. Wonder what will happen to that sailing. Are they really going to deny boarding to anyone who's been in Italy, then take the ship TO Italy?

I suppose another alternative is for them to divert the Dubai relocation cruise direct to Barcelona which is the base for the 2 cruises after ours. Because they will miss the last port, Naples; there could possibly be enough time to sail there instead of Rome. Of course it means that they will loose any Italians booked for our cruise.

Brian

13 hours ago, csnarpy said:

That would mean I have another one cancelled.  We are booked on the Voyager from Hong Kong to Sydney in October.

9 hours ago, gi_pam said:

or they drop off 3,000 guests in Italy and everyone gets a free cruise as they won’t allow you back on the ship. 

10 hours ago, gi_pam said:

That cruise is sooooo cheap right now, if I wasn't working I would be tempted