Sorry, another COVID-19 question...

We are a family of 8,  across 4 cabins traveling on Harmony June 2020.   I read through the RCL covid19 health protocols and it does state that if someone is denied boarding because of some health reason, Fever, congestion, etc, they will receive a full refund.  Any idea how that would work all 8 of us?  Not like we are going to leave someone behind, obvious the children, but also adults since we are all traveling together. 

Our final payment is due in 15 days so we are debating on risking 8 of us looking very healthy prior to getting on the ship, or cancel and loose the $500 per cabin.

Thoughts?  Link below in case you havent seen it.  it was updated today so pretty up to date.

thanks

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruise-ships/itinerary-updates

Edited by 20165

RCCL would not allow that single person to cruise and refund that individual.

Anyone else on the reservation who is not sick would be expected to cruise....would not get a refund if they didn't cruise and you would want to look into your trip insurance to see how that would handle the case as you describe.

4 minutes ago, 20165 said:

Our final payment is due in 15 days so we are debating on risking 8 of us looking very healthy prior to getting on the ship, or cancel and loose the $500 per cabin.

Not sure anyone can say for sure how RCI will handle your issue 3+ months from now. You will lose $100pp and get the rest as an FCC.

• Like 1

I really have no idea, but I would be very surprised if Royal didn't give a full refund.  Why would they want the family members who have been in close contact with a sick person to board the ship?  That would make no sense since everyone in the family would pose a risk.  I could be wrong since I am just trying to use logic.

• Like 5

Thanks for the responses.  Does anyone know if we have to rebook immediately when we cancel to use the FCC or can we bank it until we determine when and what cruise we want to go on?

thanks again

32 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

I really have no idea, but I would be very surprised if Royal didn't give a full refund.  Why would they want the family members who have been in close contact with a sick person to board the ship?  That would make no sense since everyone in the family would pose a risk.  I could be wrong since I am just trying to use logic.

I agree. 2 months ago they would care more about the lost revenue and not allow family members of a sick traveler to cancel / get a refund. But it is a different story today.

I would think they wouldn’t want anyone on board who was living with a person who currently has influenza due to ports turning ships away with even 1 passenger with the flu.  But then they have to put out a policy of how to verify the sick person and who was living with them. They wouldn’t want the sick person showing up to the terminal for a health screening. I guess they can just request doctor verification of the positive influenza test.  But what if they test negative for influenza but still are sick with a fever?

And I’m sure there will still be people who don’t want to miss their cruise and will say they or their kids are fine even if not feeling well.  That may impact all of us cruising as ports refuse to let ships dock if there is even 1 person onboard with the flu. 

• Like 1

I just posted this on another tread, but relevant here as well...

Well, based on the presidents news conference just now, im pretty sure the decision is going to be made for us soon.  If he does close the border with mexico, i have to believe that will affect Caribbean cruises.  Plus, although the Caribbean islands need the money, at some point, they have to realize that allowing 1000s of new people circulating through their islands each day from the outside probably isnt a great idea...

57 minutes ago, ARandomTraveler said:

Your insurance will cover you in the event that a travel partner is denied boarding or can't sail for a covered reason. 

Pretty sure that if they deny boarding to one person then the entire stateroom will be denied boarding as they have been within close proximity to the affected individual and everyone in the stateroom would get the refund.  Does not make for good PR to deny and refund only one person in the stateroom. 

16 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Pretty sure that if they deny boarding to one person then the entire stateroom will be denied boarding as they have been within close proximity to the affected individual and everyone in the stateroom would get the refund.  Does not make for good PR to deny and refund only one person in the stateroom. 

Well, not that simple.  We have 2 staterooms.  One our two kids are booked in, 16 and 14yo, and the other is ours, 2 adults, connecting.  Logic would dictate that they would not allow 2 minors to sail alone if one of the adults showed symptoms.

2 minutes ago, 20165 said:

Well, not that simple.  We have 2 staterooms.  One our two kids are booked in, 16 and 14yo, and the other is ours, 2 adults, connecting.  Logic would dictate that they would not allow 2 minors to sail alone if one of the adults showed symptoms.

No question that they would not allow 2 minors to sail alone. 

The flu isn't very common in June.  

How this would be handled will probably depend where the world is with respect to the COVID-19 virus in June.  No one can predict that at this point, not even experts with the CDC.  It could all be a memory or they may have implemented different policies by then.  

We just don't know.

• Like 1

On 2/28/2020 at 2:41 PM, 20165 said:

Does anyone know if we have to rebook immediately when we cancel to use the FCC or can we bank it until we determine when and what cruise we want to go on?

Note that the FCC has the person's name on it and is not transferable, so you would need the same people to go on the rescheduled cruise. 

In many European countries there are no cancel for any reason insurances available, travel insurance covers you only if you are sick or become unemployed or if travelling is officially forbidden. If you just decide not to go because of even very reasonable concerns bad luck even with an expensive insurance!

Insurance is a con a lot of the time.  I always take it because I live on an island and it wold be $$$$ to simply get my body home if heaven forbid something happened.  However, I believe in this case my insurance may not pay out because I have had pneumonia in the past... so I bet they would twist it to a “we don’t cover preexisting conditions “ scenario 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

You would think this event would be a wake up call. 

You would think so but once all the complaints come out that insurance did not cover this virus, they still will not purchase insurance.  

• Thanks 1

On 3/1/2020 at 5:29 AM, Suzieanna said:

Insurance is a con a lot of the time.  I always take it because I live on an island and it wold be $$$$ to simply get my body home if heaven forbid something happened.  However, I believe in this case my insurance may not pay out because I have had pneumonia in the past... so I bet they would twist it to a “we don’t cover preexisting conditions “ scenario 

Bingo!

On 2/28/2020 at 1:54 PM, Mapleleafforever said:

No one has a crystal ball but I suspect that all the cruise lines are going to have to come up with a better policy regarding cancellations. This whole thing will get way worse before it starts getting better. 

Leaving in 50 days for Caribbean cruise   don't want any problems 

On 2/29/2020 at 5:03 PM, shippmates said:

If you look at some of the comments regarding travel insurance.  Some of the "cancel for any reason" policies do not cover canceling due to the virus threat.  It depends on your carrier and exactly when you purchased your policy.  

I think CFAR is CFAR. You get a percentage of your fare back. You have to purchase it by a certain time. You can't just buy it after final and use it.

Edited by marci22