I'm very concerned what to do.

thefog

7 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

I can't keep up. Where and When?

California

Oregon

These are new cases where it is unknown when, where and how the patient could have been exposed to the virus.

That's in addition  to Americans who were repatriated.

And we're still waiting for the HHS employees to be tested.

30 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

Everyone keep canceling, received $2500 in reductions on my booked Cruises during last 3 weeks...or far. Keep them coming!

Hey, share! I could ony find $50 out of 2 already booked 😫

Edited by AlohaLivin

33 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

That's great but if your sailing is canceled the savings will have no merit.

Sail-INGS. Doubt any if many mine will be. Last time Cruises were this cheap were post 9/11/Anthrax scare. Cruises were operating with 15% Cabins empty. Best thing we can do now, and was told then is live our lives much as normal.

2 hours ago, brillohead said:

Are you afraid of the flu?  Because the flu has killed WAY more people than COVID-19 has, and I haven't seen a single thread on these forums about cancelling a cruise because of fears of influenza.

New England Journal of Medicine: Coronavirus Could Be No Worse than Flu

An editorial published Friday in the New England Journal of Medicine speculated that the coronavirus currently causing panic in world markets could turn out no worse than “a severe seasonal influenza” in terms of mortality.

It's killing about 1 in 40, much worse than flu

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

California

Oregon

These are new cases where it is unknown when, where and how the patient could have been exposed to the virus.

That's in addition  to Americans who were repatriated.

And we're still waiting for the HHS employees to be tested.

Thanks.  My wife works at a NYC hospital. She forgot to tell me.  The Dr she works for wanted to cancel his business trip to California due to the incident but decided to go.

1 minute ago, ONECRUISER said:

Sail-INGS. Doubt any if many mine will be. Last time Cruises were this cheap were post 9/11/Anthrax scare. Cruises were operating with 15% Cabins empty. Best thing we can do now, and was told then is live our lives much as normal.

Well I agree with living my life but unfortunately I have limited vacation time and I would rather spend it another way than a cheap trip to nowhere or no trip at all. If I were retired I would have a different point of view.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Vegascosmogirl said:

We cruise in April and I’m very concerned. I AM one of those immune suppressed people. I’m only 46 and in good health overall, but I catch everything because of the meds I take. We are just going to wait and see. This is our first cruise too. A lot can happen in 5 weeks. We didn’t buy insurance, so might as well wait it out to decide.

Understand your situation. Much as my Mother would love to Cruise, Health reasons she cant take chance, even in normal non-Corona circumstances for her

I found a few resources that are helping me consider the risk as I have a cruise scheduled for the end of March. 

You may find this helpful when considering risk of Flu and COVID19

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/coronavirus/coronavirus-disease-2019-vs-the-flu

And this report gives some information for cruise ship risk of COVID as well as a vaccine soon to be released.

http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2020/02/study-72000-covid-19-patients-finds-23-death-rate

Edited by Weber Prof
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Well I agree with living my life but unfortunately I have limited vacation time and I would rather spend it another way than a cheap trip to nowhere or no trip at all. If I were retired I would have a different point of view.

Understand 100%, retired here. Army and was lucky IF got one vacation a yr with my kids, few yrs we didnt. Now worst case, Cruise canceled and book different Cruise. Yrs ago was cheaper take my kids to Orlando/Disney for week on a 7 nite Cruise. Last decade Cruise is the better deal, even before the resent drops

Edited by ONECRUISER

13 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Thanks.  My wife works at a NYC hospital. She forgot to tell me.  The Dr she works for wanted to cancel his business trip to California due to the incident but decided to go.

Very respectfully, COVID19 has been present in the US and Canada for weeks. Many cases have already resolved and gone home. On the flip side, we’ve also tested a pathetically small number of people (compared to countries like, for example, South Korea), because our government is a bit of a dumpster fire right now.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/covid-19-testing/

Edited by AlyssaJames
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Weber Prof said:

I found a few resources that are helping me consider the risk as I have acruise scheduled for the end of March. 

You may find this helpful when considering risk of Flu and COVID19

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/coronavirus/coronavirus-disease-2019-vs-the-flu

And this report gives some information for cruise ship risk of COVID as well as a vaccine soon to be released.

http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2020/02/study-72000-covid-19-patients-finds-23-death-rate

Thanks.  It definitely puts it in perspective.  Even though a higher percentage of people have died after contracting COVID, a person is more likely to contract the flu.  There are one billion cases of the flu worldwide and up to 45 million cases in the US, with up to 61,000 deaths in the US.

I personally think the media is creating a frenzy over something that most people will never have to worry about because their risk of contracting it is remote. I think the best thing people can do to stay healthy when traveling is get the flu shot and wash their hands.This article just confirms my decision not to worry about it.

From the link:

COVID-19: Approximately 84,119 cases worldwide; 62 cases in the U.S. as of Feb. 28, 2020.

Flu: Estimated 1 billion cases worldwide; 9.3 million to 45 million cases in the U.S. per year.

Deaths

COVID-19: Approximately 2,871 deaths reported worldwide; 0 deaths in the U.S., as of Feb. 28, 2020.

Flu: 291,000 to 646,000 deaths worldwide; 12,000 to 61,000 deaths in the U.S. per year.

• Like 2

We are due to set sail in 2 weeks.  I am extremely nervous as I have a son with respiratory issues that are triggered by viral infections.  He has been in respiratory failure multiple times, but with the help of a pulmonologist and larger lungs we are not doing the middle of the night runs to the ER any more.  But viral infections still result in difficulty breathing and are nerve-wracking for Mom.

I realize it is a personal decision, but it does not make it any easier.  Liklihood of anything happening is not high, but outcome if he does contract it may be scary. 

My husband is not too concerned, but my FIL wants us to cancel.

Edited by travelgirl528
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, cruisinfanatic said:

It's killing about 1 in 40, much worse than flu

No, it's not.  

It's killing the elderly and the already-sickly, but it's not randomly killing children.  Influenza, on the other hand, has killed children every single year.  

The vast majority of coronavirus infections have resulted in mild to moderate symptoms not needing treatment or hospitalization.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

I can't keep up. Where and When?

Second hip replacement was in August (several years ago, first was in December). Cruise was at the end of October and walked all over the Vatican and did the Scavi tour. Walking is good for you and it is nice to be able to walk without pain. 

Edited by Coralc

Airplanes are nastier and full of germs too.

At least on a ship you can get fresh air.

I have 7 cruises booked first being Symphony of the seas in late April.

I will go with the flow and hope for the best.

Second cruise is on the Vision of the seas out of Barcelona to Italy in May. Time will tell.

Even the Pope is sniffling and under the weather.

I really don't think this can be compared to the flu. When you have the flu you are very sick and most likely bed ridden. With a common cold, unless severe, you probably continue to go to work or out in public. Think of how many people at work, in the public or on a cruise ship that are coughing and or sneezing. This is exactly how Covid 19 is spread. The host person may have zero symptoms yet still have and spread the virus to others thru an innocent sneeze or cough for up to 2 weeks.

Also it's very unnerving to compare covid 19 to the flu considering how deadly the flu is, even with a vaccine.

The mortality rate from COVID-19 is 2.3 percent, more than 20 times the death rate from the flu. And in Iran it's estimated as high as 11 percent. In contrast, with so many more known annual infections, the mortality rate from the flu is about 0.1 percent annually. 

Airlines are already canceling hundreds of flights due to lower travel volume. Frankfurt Airport in Germany is cutting costs by offering unpaid leave to it's employees. Air travel worldwide is already heavily impacted. This is just the beginning.

No need to panic, but definitely no need to downplay the seriousness of this virus either. Be smart. Stay safe. Be prepared.

• Like 5

We are cruising in April out of Singapore and I am on the fence,  I know they have cancelled all of March and I think they are gonna do the same for April I guess.  I've got non refundable air which Is another problem.  What to do what to do

We are cruising out of Singapore in May, also have non refundable air- if cruise is cancelled will insurance cover the air fare do you know?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

3 minutes ago, MrsBee89 said:

We are cruising out of Singapore in May, also have non refundable air- if cruise is cancelled will insurance cover the air fare do you know?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There was no information about the virus in Singapore. And there was no information about closing ports there either. I dont know which cruises are sailing there but I would check before hand with the agency and the country customs. If anything of the above happens I am sure you will get completely covered 

4 hours ago, ONECRUISER said:

Everyone keep canceling, received $2500 in reductions on my booked Cruises during last 3 weeks...or far. Keep them coming!

Not the case on our April and June cruises.  They are up $1500 and $1200 over what we paid.  We have no plans to cancel, and it looks like no one else on those sailings plans it either.

1 hour ago, flyguyjake said:

Also it's very unnerving to compare covid 19 to the flu considering how deadly the flu is, even with a vaccine.

The mortality rate from COVID-19 is 2.3 percent, more than 20 times the death rate from the flu. And in Iran it's estimated as high as 11 percent. In contrast, with so many more known annual infections, the mortality rate from the flu is about 0.1 percent annually. 

No need to panic, but definitely no need to downplay the seriousness of this virus either. Be smart. Stay safe. Be prepared.

I just want to point out that the figure of 2.32% you are quoting is the overall death rate. As 80% of people who get the virus might not realise they are sick due to mildness of symptoms. It is estimated the number of people who have the virus is much greater than the reported known cases of the virus.

it is known cases that divides the number of deaths that give you the 2.32%. That is why some are saying that this could be no worse than a normal flu.

Also the 2.32% hides the death rate for age cohorts, as disproportionate number of elderly people are severely impacted by the virus. The death rate for anyone younger than 50 is only 0.4%.

But again this number is inflated due to the non reporting of people who don't realise they have the virus, whose symptoms are a mild headache, possibly a sore throat or a light dry cough. A couple of paracetamol and they feel fine.

With the way the media is reporting this virus it makes it sound like you are at deaths door if you catch. Why would a person associate a bit of a headache with this deadly disease reported in the media?

I will attach screen shot of death rate by age to give you perspective.

I will see if I can find the death rates for pre-existing conditions.

Screenshot_20200229_075307_com.android.chrome.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1