Uniworld Cancel Policy Update - COVID-19

iMarco46

29 minutes ago, radioman said:

Uniworld posted this on March 18.  I notice they did not offer a cash refund.

All Egypt itineraries have been suspended through April 25th. If you have a booking on one of these suspended voyages, please know that you may rebook your travel dates to any 2020 or 2021 cruise or receive a Future Cruise Credit eligible to be used during the next 24 months.

When I expressed my frustration over not being told about the price protection in 2020, I was told, "No we told you that you could rebook."  If rebook means you can do so at the same price, then by their logic it would apply to the above and all other cruises.  My guess is they are purposefully vague.

49 minutes ago, stlrod said:

When I expressed my frustration over not being told about the price protection in 2020, I was told, "No we told you that you could rebook."  If rebook means you can do so at the same price, then by their logic it would apply to the above and all other cruises.  My guess is they are purposefully vague.

Not just vague, I asked if we can move our dates to July, they said to pay 1000+/person.  My TA also asked.  They said the same.  Then they changed their rule 2 days later.  I didn't even know about price protection until I requested a refund.  Do they hope people just get FCC, then apply to another dates and pay extra?  

This is what Viking River Cruise is offering as compared to Uniworld:

https://www.vikingrivercruises.com/my-trip/current-sailings/index.html

For those guests whose cruise falls within this window of suspended operations, we are offering the choice of a Future Cruise Voucher valued at 125% of all monies paid to Viking or a refund equal to the amount paid. Guests will have 24 months to use their Future Cruise Voucher to make a new reservation on any river, ocean or expedition cruise. For additional flexibility, if you are unable to use your voucher, we will automatically send you a refund equal to the original amount paid to Viking after the voucher expires. These Future Cruise Vouchers will also be fully transferable.

20 hours ago, radioman said:

Uniworld posted this on March 19.  I notice they did not offer a cash refund.

All Egypt itineraries have been suspended through May 1st. If you have a booking on one of these suspended voyages, please know that you may rebook your travel dates to any 2020 or 2021 cruise or receive a Future Cruise Credit eligible to be used during the next 24 months.

Under the Uniworld Terms and Condition's it states you get your money back if Uniworld cancels.

Advanced, Canceled, or Delayed Sailing: Uniworld reserves the right to cancel, advance or postpone any scheduled sailing date and may, but is not obligated to, substitute hotels or vessels. Uniworld shall not be liable for any loss to you by reason of any such cancellation, advancement or postponement. In the event of cancellation by Uniworld, your sole right of recourse shall be to obtain a refund of monies paid to Uniworld in connection with such cruise-tour.

3 hours ago, radioman said:

Under the Uniworld Terms and Condition's it states you get your money back if Uniworld cancels.

Advanced, Canceled, or Delayed Sailing: Uniworld reserves the right to cancel, advance or postpone any scheduled sailing date and may, but is not obligated to, substitute hotels or vessels. Uniworld shall not be liable for any loss to you by reason of any such cancellation, advancement or postponement. In the event of cancellation by Uniworld, your sole right of recourse shall be to obtain a refund of monies paid to Uniworld in connection with such cruise-tour.

Other cruise companies would not only refund but give you 25%-100% FCC for cancelling.  This way, they make sure customers are coming back to them after this.  

Remember the cruise lines that drop the ball moving forward.

7 minutes ago, TikiIslandGirl said:

Just seeing if anyone has received a refund from Uniworld.  I'm patiently waiting.  And sad at the same time.  I was due to fly to Amsterdam tomorrow. ☺️

TikikslandGirl:

I have a 11 day river cruise on the Rhine (Basel to Amsterdam) for May 20.  Book everything (air, insurance) via a TA.

What was the process you used to cancel your cruise?  Just getting ready when Uniworld will cancel the May cruises.

Any advice?   Thanks

Just now, radioman said:

TikikslandGirl:

I have a 11 day river cruise on the Rhine (Basel to Amsterdam) for May 20.  Book everything (air, insurance) via a TA.

What was the process you used to cancel your cruise?  Just getting ready when Uniworld will cancel the May cruises.

Any advice?   Thanks

Radioman-I booked via a TA also-initially I called TA (before Uniworld cancelled the cruse completely and they were allowing people to cancel for a FCC-I was going to loose $450 because my air was already ticketed). 2 days later Uniworld announced that they were cancelling completely .  DIdn't think I was eligible for a refund until it was posted by BarbaraB2 that they were getting a refund.  My TA had told me that after 3 days I would be able to talk with uniworld directly because I had cancelled.  So I called Uniworld and requested a refund.  She looked it up and I guess since a FCC had not been processed I was eligible-and supposedly I'm not going to have to pay the $450.  My parents parents had bought the uniworld insurance (I had a private policy) and was also told they will be getting their money back for that.  I was told it will take 2 weeks (it's almost been 2 weaks) for my refund. I emailed them also and was told it will be 3-4 weeks for a refund.  So, I just check my cc daily hoping it will be there.

1 hour ago, TikiIslandGirl said:

Radioman-I booked via a TA also-initially I called TA (before Uniworld cancelled the cruse completely and they were allowing people to cancel for a FCC-I was going to loose $450 because my air was already ticketed). 2 days later Uniworld announced that they were cancelling completely .  DIdn't think I was eligible for a refund until it was posted by BarbaraB2 that they were getting a refund.  My TA had told me that after 3 days I would be able to talk with uniworld directly because I had cancelled.  So I called Uniworld and requested a refund.  She looked it up and I guess since a FCC had not been processed I was eligible-and supposedly I'm not going to have to pay the $450.  My parents parents had bought the uniworld insurance (I had a private policy) and was also told they will be getting their money back for that.  I was told it will take 2 weeks (it's almost been 2 weaks) for my refund. I emailed them also and was told it will be 3-4 weeks for a refund.  So, I just check my cc daily hoping it will be there.

When I had a refund due from Uniworld two years back, it took about 8 weeks (and that wasn't during a global pandemic)

Robin

Edited by acwmom
clarification

I notice changes to Uniworld Terms and Conditions.  What does it mean as it relates to future refunds?

From my booking contract terms and conditions:

"Advanced, Canceled, or Delayed Sailing: Uniworld reserves the right to cancel, advance or postpone any scheduled sailing date and may, but is not obligated to, substitute hotels or vessels. Uniworld shall not be liable for any loss to you by reason of any such cancellation, advancement or postponement. In the event of cancellation by Uniworld, your sole right of recourse shall be to obtain a refund of monies paid to Uniworld in connection with such cruise/tour. "

New from web site Terms and conditions:

"Advanced, Canceled, or Delayed Sailing: Uniworld reserves the right to cancel, advance, postpone or modify scheduled departure, return or itinerary dates, as well as locations, events and schedules, and may, but is not obligated to, substitute, vary, alter, reschedule, cancel and/or relocate any accommodations, vessels, modes of transportation and other aspects of the vacation. Uniworld is authorized to take these actions due to causes or circumstances of any kind or nature beyond Uniworld’s control, or causes or circumstances within Uniworld’s control that Uniworld deems to make such actions appropriate. Uniworld will not be liable for cancellation, delay, rescheduling or other adjustment or impact to a departure or itinerary, or other aspects of the vacation brought about due to force majeure or other circumstance beyond its control that prevents or interferes with any aspect of the cruise-tour, also including governmental and administrative actions. Uniworld is not responsible for other travel arrangements affected due to our cancellations or changes and is not liable for any cancellation or change costs or penalties incurred on other travel arrangements, including air tickets."

I have an upcoming cruise with Uniworld for Sept 20. Final payment of 7500.00 is due on May 14th. Should I switch now for next year? Flights have been paid for thru Uniworld. Just not sure the timeline of when Italy will recover from this pandemic. My TA thinks I should wait and just move my trip if need be. 

Does anyone know up to what date Uniworld has cancelled their cruises?  We are on a trip to France that would depart Bordeaux on May 24.  We have cancel anytime insurance.  Our airfare was booked through Delta, we will deal with that separately.  We decided to hold off cancelling because we were thinking cruise would most likely have to be cancelled through Uniworld and we would get 100% refund.  We are queasy  about taking a FCC  or booking in May of 2021 - too many unknowns about the virus.  At this point we would be eligible for 50% FCC and 50% refund.  Our travel partners convinced us to wait, we were ready to cancel when our penalty would be 35% FCC.  Maybe it is better we just use our Cancel anytime INS?  

Well., color me surprised - very surprised.  American Airlines refunded our total flight fare for a  "postponed" Grand France river cruise that had been schedule for June.  On application for the refund American Airlines indicated that would keep $1,800 ($900 each) as fees for our business class R/T air MIA-CDG-MIA.  The processed refund, now on my credit card, was for the whole amount.  Thank you, AA!  Additionally, they did it within two weeks, request to back on credit card.  If we are able to travel in May 2021 to pick up the postponed cruise, we will definitely fly American Airlines! 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

Well., color me surprised - very surprised.  American Airlines refunded our total flight fare for a  "postponed" Grand France river cruise that had been schedule for June.  On application for the refund American Airlines indicated that would keep $1,800 ($900 each) as fees for our business class R/T air MIA-CDG-MIA.  The processed refund, now on my credit card, was for the whole amount.  Thank you, AA!  Additionally, they did it within two weeks, request to back on credit card.  If we are able to travel in May 2021 to pick up the postponed cruise, we will definitely fly American Airlines! 

Kudo to AA.

I have flights with BA, TAP, Lufthansa, and all 3 are holding my money hostage.  Not refunding even when they are the ones cancelled the flights.

Edited by kent9xxx1

So, I called Uniworld today to check up on the status of my refund.  Surprised to get right through without a wait.  The Uniworld rep said our refund is in the queue in accounting since 3/17.  He said it will take 4-6 weeks.  So I asked him the exact amount of a refund I should be expecting (both mine and my parents cabin).  He quoted the exact amount that we paid.  No deduction for airfare penalty.  My parents also included the refund for uniworld insurance.  So feeling better but will be glad when I actually get my refund. With the uncertainty of what this virus is going to do in the future and my parents advanced age didn't want a FCC because don't know if/when we are going to be able to go.  We are hoping that it is next spring but only time will tell.

I was told today by my TA that Uniworld has changed their TC  (Terms and Conditions) and no longer will offer a cash refund as stated in my contract with Uniworld when I purchased the cruise, air and insurance on Sept 1, 2019.  Read current TC for refund information.

https://www.uniworld.com/en/terms-and-conditions/

I was also told that Uniworld has cancelled all cruises up to May 8 as of today.

Is it legal to change a current contract with new TCs?  Any advice?

Thanks

10 minutes ago, radioman said:

I was told today by my TA that Uniworld has changed their TC  (Terms and Conditions) and no longer will offer a cash refund as stated in my contract with Uniworld when I purchased the cruise, air and insurance on Sept 1, 2019.  Read current TC for refund information.

https://www.uniworld.com/en/terms-and-conditions/

I was also told that Uniworld has cancelled all cruises up to May 8 as of today.

Is it legal to change a current contract with new TCs?  Any advice?

Thanks

I'm supposed to be getting a full refund. I called 2 days ago to check on the status.  The uniworld person I spoke with says my refund is in the accounting queue.  I ask him the exact amount I was getting back and it was the correct amount.  He said it will take 4-6 weeks. It's been 2 1/2. But I'm anxiously awaiting the credit back to my cc.  

19 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

radioman;  so are you saying they won't give you a credit back to your credit card?  They only offer FCC?

This is from Uniworld:

https://www.uniworld.com/en/already-booked/travel-information/

TEMPORARY POLICY UPDATES

2020 Cancellation Policy (updated March 27th)*
Guests can cancel up to 14 days prior to their cruise and receive a Future Cruise Credit for the penalty amount incurred at time of cancellation, or they can rebook any 2020 or 2021 cruise or cruise-tour with price protection. Penalized amount will be transferred to their new booking. Non-penalized amount will be refunded at the time of cancellation. If air was purchased with Uniworld, the $450 air penalty will remain. If Travel Protection was purchased, the Travel Protection can be transferred to the new reservation. Guests also have the option to rebook with one of our Travel Corporation sister brands for 2020 or 2021.
*Revised cancellation policy as of March 27th, 2020. This supersedes all previous cancellation policies and is subject to change.

5 minutes ago, radioman said:

This is from Uniworld:

https://www.uniworld.com/en/already-booked/travel-information/

TEMPORARY POLICY UPDATES

2020 Cancellation Policy (updated March 27th)*
Guests can cancel up to 14 days prior to their cruise and receive a Future Cruise Credit for the penalty amount incurred at time of cancellation, or they can rebook any 2020 or 2021 cruise or cruise-tour with price protection. Penalized amount will be transferred to their new booking. Non-penalized amount will be refunded at the time of cancellation. If air was purchased with Uniworld, the $450 air penalty will remain. If Travel Protection was purchased, the Travel Protection can be transferred to the new reservation. Guests also have the option to rebook with one of our Travel Corporation sister brands for 2020 or 2021.
*Revised cancellation policy as of March 27th, 2020. This supersedes all previous cancellation policies and is subject to change.

I cancelled on 3/14-after they announced that my cruise had been cancelled (before the above change) since my cruise was to leave on 3/31. I guess that's why I'm getting a refund.

I have a group of 10 in the same boat as you radioman.   I view this new policy as "if the guest cancels."  I did cancel our 4/30 trip for our group of 10 back when it was 1/2 and 1/2, but seeing how they have not yet issued any  refund, I'm going to argue for being able to take advantage of the original terms.  I have to admit I'm very put off with Uniworld.

Edited by stlrod

6 minutes ago, stlrod said:

I have a group of 10 in the same boat as you radioman.   I view this new policy as "if the guest cancels."  I id cancel our 4/30 trip for our group of 10 back when it was 1/2 and 1/2, but seeing how they had not issued any refund, I'm going to argue for being able to take advantage of the original terms.  I have to admit I'm very put off with Uniworld.

When it all started to evolve-I initially cancelled and was going to get a FCC and take the $450 air penalty.  They completely cancelled the cruise 2 days later.  I thought I wasn't eligible for a refund but read here on CC that someone was going to get a refund.  So I called Uniworld and was told that I can have a cash refund instead of a FCC. So, since this was a unprecedented event-Uniworld was scrambling during this time and changed policies several times and Uniworld didn't really have a grip on things.  I think they have changed their policy for what it's going to be now.  In my opinion if you are in a penalty period anyway-I would wait to cancel and see if Uniworld cancels the cruise.  I really don't see leagally how they can keep your money if they cancel the cruise.