Uniworld Cancel Policy Update - COVID-19

iMarco46

28 minutes ago, coevan said:

googled CDC

State department takes CDC recommendations and make their advisory.  CDC doesn’t have real authority. State dept does, including holding people in quarantine or bailing you out from other countries.  Why would you Just look at CDC alone?  

So, I just came across this update from Uniworld.  Wish they would send out to the people that have a cruise booked. But, since my cruise departs 3/31 didn't know if I had this option. So, I called my TA who called uniworld (I do have travel insurance but not uniworld's policy and it was purchased before the insurance but a rider about covering anything coronavirus related.) She said that I'm eligible to cancel my cruise for a future credit.  I would be out the $450 because my air is ticketed.  I'm traveling with my parents who are 75/79.  My mom doesn't have any health issues my dad has some (But in his mind he doesn't have any lol). TA said I can cancel up to 24 hours before sailing.  So, I called parents and they said lets go.  So I guess we are going!!!  

I've thought this out.  Everyone is currently being hypervigilant about  hygiene and disinfection and personal space.  Way more than before coronavirus.  So it might actually be a good time to go!!! Here is the update.

HEALTH AND SAFETY UPDATE
Posted: Friday, March 6, 2020, 4:00pm PST

We are closely monitoring the coronavirus (Covid-19) developments and will continue to prioritize the safety of our guests and crew. We are aware of the latest travel advisories issued by the U.S. State Department, and are monitoring all updates issued by the World Health Organization and the Centers for Disease Control.

For precautionary measures, guests will be asked to take a health declaration and questionnaire before boarding all Uniworld ships. Guests who have traveled within 14 days of beginning their trip from or through mainland China, South Korea, Iran or any municipality in Italy subject to quarantine measures by the Italian Government will not be permitted to embark on any Uniworld ship. If an upcoming guest had close contact with or helped care for anyone suspected or diagnosed with Covid-19 within 14 days before embarkation, they will not be permitted onboard.

To help alleviate the uncertainty our guests may be feeling about their upcoming cruise, we have released a temporary update to the terms of our cancellation policy for all 2020 cruises to allow our guests more time to make a decision about their travel plans. Guests can cancel up to 30 days prior to their cruise and receive a Future Cruise Credit for the full amount of the cruise/tour valid for 24 months or they can rebook on any 2020 cruise without penalty. Guests also have the option to rebook with any Travel Corporation Brand for 2020 or 2021. Exception: Published cancellation policies will apply to cruise/tours booked for Oberammergau 2020.

•  For additional details of the temporary updates to our cancellation policy, please click here:
    • Valid only for all 2020 bookings, excluding cruise/tours booked for Oberammergau 2020.
    • Applies to the cruise/cruise-tour portion of trip only, airfare will be subject to cancellation fees if ticketed.
    • For airfare booked through Uniworld, airfare fees will be waived if not yet ticketed or a $450 fee will apply if ticket was already issued at time of cancellation.
    • Travel Protection Program fees are non-refundable.

For complete details, please call your Travel Advisor or Uniworld at 1-800-257-2407.

At Uniworld, we have always been committed to embracing diversity and inclusivity across all our brands. We do not support any inappropriate mistreatment of any individual, regardless of their nationality, race nor gender. Our onboard and onshore personnel remain committed to delivering the best vacation to each and every customer, regardless of where they come from.

On 3/6/2020 at 7:05 PM, gnome12 said:

CDC has now upped the level for Italy to level 3, avoid all non-essential travel.

State is level 3 for Italy but level 4 for Lombardy and Veneto.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So far, apart from our own government's announcement about a part of North-Rhine Westfalia, I have not read of any explicit warnings for Germany. What does Canada say, has Germany been put into a category as regards health concerns?

notamermaid

Yes, another policy "update" from Uniworld.  This one apparently changes the "cancel at exactly 30 days out" requirement and replaces it with "cancel for a future cruise credit."  Not helpful and appears inconsistent with the "passenger friendly" comments from Uniworld regarding their concern over COVID-19.  The FCC doesn't do much for us and likely others of us in the 75-79 age range.  Having to reschedule within two years becomes problematic for health and mobility reasons at this age.  We have been traveling with Uniworld for over a decade, rivers in Europe and China, and are disappointed in Uniworld with this response to a critical global health concern.  While cancellations are costly to the company, they do have insurance to cover these contingencies.  A more understanding response would have been much better.  Now it becomes a "wait and see" process which impacts potential enjoyment of a two-week long cruise while worrying over the complications of travel to, in and through France.  The virus is obviously not Uniworld's fault, however a more nuanced response to customers would have been helpful.  It now rests with the medical folks to determine whether travel is safe, and if not, claims with the travel insurance companies when medical doctors determine travel to infected regions could have serious health ramifications.  I'm sure Uniworld has made the call that it would benefit more from private insurance payouts than from their own insurance.  As always, its the $$$ bottom line.

4 minutes ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

Yes, another policy "update" from Uniworld.  This one apparently changes the "cancel at exactly 30 days out" requirement and replaces it with "cancel for a future cruise credit."  Not helpful...

Agree - this does not appear to be a good development.

Waiting to learn more...

February 25 update:

1351777326_Feb25Uniworld.thumb.png.5f1d59dea48efaed949408575f15bd5b.png

March 6 update:

281000583_Mar6Uniworld.thumb.png.e64fa8b8e9ce988dca71c6ebe4cabbdb.png

Wow-another update:

HEALTH AND SAFETY UPDATE
Posted: Saturday, March 7, 2020, 2:00pm PST

We are closely monitoring the coronavirus (Covid-19) developments and will continue to prioritize the safety of our guests and crew. We are aware of the latest travel advisories issued by the U.S. State Department, and are monitoring all updates issued by the World Health Organization and the Centers for Disease Control.

For precautionary measures, guests will be asked to take a health declaration and questionnaire before boarding all Uniworld ships. Guests who have traveled within 14 days of beginning their trip from or through mainland China, South Korea, Iran or any municipality in Italy subject to quarantine measures by the Italian Government will not be permitted to embark on any Uniworld ship. If an upcoming guest had close contact with or helped care for anyone suspected or diagnosed with Covid-19 within 14 days before embarkation, they will not be permitted onboard.

To help alleviate the uncertainty our guests may be feeling about their upcoming cruise, we have released a temporary update to the terms of our cancellation policy for all 2020 cruises to allow our guests more time to make a decision about their travel plans. Guests can cancel up to 14 days prior to their cruise and receive a Future Cruise Credit for the penalty amount incurred at time of cancellation or they can rebook on any 2020 cruise without penalty. Non-penalized amount will be refunded at time of cancellation. Guests also have the option to rebook with any Travel Corporation Brand for 2020 or 2021. Exception: Published cancellation policies will apply to cruise/tours booked for Oberammergau 2020. 

•  For additional details of the temporary updates to our cancellation policy, please click here:
    • Valid only for all 2020 bookings, excluding cruise/tours booked for Oberammergau 2020.
    • Future Cruise Credit is based on penalty amount incurred at time of cancellation for the cruise and included land portion only, less non refundable fees such as the air cancellation fee of $450pp.
    • Applies to the cruise/cruise-tour portion of trip only, airfare will be subject to cancellation fees if ticketed.
    • For airfare booked through Uniworld, airfare fees will be waived if not yet ticketed or a $450 fee will apply if ticket was already issued at time of cancellation.
    • Travel Protection Program fees are non-refundable.

For complete details, please call your Travel Advisor or Uniworld at 1-800-257-2407.

At Uniworld, we have always been committed to embracing diversity and inclusivity across all our brands. We do not support any inappropriate mistreatment of any individual, regardless of their nationality, race nor gender. Our onboard and onshore personnel remain committed to delivering the best vacation to each and every customer, regardless of where they come from.

• Thanks 1

So far, apart from our own government's announcement about a part of North-Rhine Westfalia, I have not read of any explicit warnings for Germany. What does Canada say, has Germany been put into a category as regards health concerns?

notamermaid

Canada only has travel advisories for China, Hong Kong, Iran, Japan, Northern Italy, Singapore and South Korea. As of Saturday 9:14 pm EST

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you for the info, gnome12.

With the latest developments in Northern Italy, is it actually still possible to have a river cruise logistically in Venice and on the Po? 

I wonder what CroisiEurope are doing? And what does ABTA in the UK advise? What is CLIA saying? Here is the website (the news pages): https://cruising.org/news-and-research

notamermaid

I like the new policy since it was unclear whether Uniworld’s first announced policy applied to us a with a 4/30 tour date and 5/3 cruise date.   Based on a conversation I had with Uniworld, I think they would have worked with us.  I like that it now goes to 14 days and hope to see it shortened even more.

Spouse has determined she wants to reschedule our two-week "Grand France" for 2021.  So Monday begins the challenge of working with Uniworld and the TA followed by doing battle with the airline.  Don't know what 2021 will bring, but do know that traveling now will involve COVID-19 concerns, worries, screening, and possibly quarantines.  Argh!

So-I was on the phone for 3 hours last night and went ahead and cancelled my uniworld cruise. So sad. Just a FYI I was told I have a FCC but TA nor Uniworld email any type of confirmation. So the TA (I booked via the big box store “C” ) and was told it’s all in the notes and phone recordings. So hopefully all works out when I rebook my cruise. Also my parents purchased the uniworld insurance. Since our  plane ticket was already ticketed they deducted the $450. So they are going to have to file a claim with the insurance to get that back 

Uniworld was very accommodating in rescheduling our June "Grand France" to May 2021.  Same ships, same cabin.  Now need to battle the airlines...which we purchased separately.  I'm hoping to convince them to also simply reschedule the same flights for 2021 despite it being more than the 330-days away.  I know - dreaming...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TikiIslandGirl said:

So-I was on the phone for 3 hours last night and went ahead and cancelled my uniworld cruise. So sad. Just a FYI I was told I have a FCC but TA nor Uniworld email any type of confirmation. So the TA (I booked via the big box store “C” ) and was told it’s all in the notes and phone recordings. So hopefully all works out when I rebook my cruise. Also my parents purchased the uniworld insurance. Since our  plane ticket was already ticketed they deducted the $450. So they are going to have to file a claim with the insurance to get that back 

I cancelled for my parents, same experience as you.  No confirmation, nothing.  Cancelling the tickets and getting huge hit per person.  I am still going to minimize the hit and who knows if Uniworld is still around by the time I get around to rebook.    

15 minutes ago, Enryon said:

After tonight, We will need to wait to see what happens with uniworld. viking basically threw in the towel and canceled everything till may 1st.  

all of their march and april practically have all the cabin avail for sale.  i suspect the occupancy rate is in the 20% max.  might as well cancel.

22 minutes ago, kent9xxx1 said:

all of their march and april practically have all the cabin avail for sale.  i suspect the occupancy rate is in the 20% max.  might as well cancel.

Everything except for the 1 sailing on the 22nd. Every update has excluded that 1 cruise. It happens to be the one we are on. 

Just got off the phone with Uniworld. According to the rep they are preparing to cancel European cruises through the end of April. They are not offering a refund though. They are allowing rebooking through the end of 2021 with all fees waived.  

1 minute ago, Enryon said:

Just got off the phone with Uniworld. According to the rep they are preparing to cancel European cruises through the end of April. They are not offering a refund though. They are allowing rebooking through the end of 2021 with all fees waived.  

uh, what?  What about separate hotels, airfare tickets?  They unilaterally cancel, they should do something.