Making the decision to go or not to go - so many considerations

gailellen12

My cruise is on the Nieuw Amsterdam sailing April 28 out of Barcelona.  I am at the point now where I am reaching some important dates regarding cancellation fees - as of today it is 50 percent,  from March 16 until early April 75 percent - after that essentially 100 percent.  I have travel insurance but not the cancel for any reason addition.  Travel insurance right now is rather meaningless for many of us now anyway.    I was on the fence waiting to see what HAL would do regarding cancelling my cruise and others before mine.  I was informed  that they are all a go as of today.   If I wait until right before my cruise date and not go  I will take a bigger hit financially than if I pull out now.  I guess it is all about how much of a gambler you are!!  I would never risk my health over money but as a solo traveler this cruise was very expensive for me and I saved up for a long time in order to go and will not have this opportunity again for several years.

8 minutes ago, gailellen12 said:

My cruise is on the Nieuw Amsterdam sailing April 28 out of Barcelona.  I am at the point now where I am reaching some important dates regarding cancellation fees - as of today it is 50 percent,  from March 16 until early April 75 percent - after that essentially 100 percent.  I have travel insurance but not the cancel for any reason addition.  Travel insurance right now is rather meaningless for many of us now anyway.    I was on the fence waiting to see what HAL would do regarding cancelling my cruise and others before mine.  I was informed  that they are all a go as of today.   If I wait until right before my cruise date and not go  I will take a bigger hit financially than if I pull out now.  I guess it is all about how much of a gambler you are!!  I would never risk my health over money but as a solo traveler this cruise was very expensive for me and I saved up for a long time in order to go and will not have this opportunity again for several years.

I totally appreciate and understand your situation.

I’m in the same boat.  Travel insurance doesn’t work unless there is an advisory.

You have until the 15th.  I’d wait in your situation until as long as you could.  

HAL did take care of people sailing on the Westerdam.  They can’t cancel now until they see what is going to happen.

I guess I am a gambler 😉 If travel advisories come out, I’m covered.  If HAL refunds, I’m covered and if things clear up in Europe (they might and the U.S. might be the hot spot) I’m sailing 😉 

there is no right answer and no crystal ball. We each have to make a choice. Some of us will be wrong and some of us will be right.  

I guess we are gambling then with the cruise still 45 days away.  

• Like 4

We just cancelled a cruise with HAL and they allowed us to use the value of the cruise on any other cruise of the same value or greater for any date in 2020. Our TA took care of all the details and we're now booked on a November 2020 cruise. It was a difficult decision.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, fatbob66 said:

We just cancelled a cruise with HAL and they allowed us to use the value of the cruise on any other cruise of the same value or greater for any date in 2020. Our TA took care of all the details and we're now booked on a November 2020 cruise. It was a difficult decision.

It would be helpful if you tell more details,  like, when and where was your cruise? Are you canceling before, or after final payment? Were you sailing in a current Corona virus threat area?

• Like 2

We were sailing on 3/11 out of Ft. Lauderdale on the Veendam to the western Caribbean so the cruise had been paid for a while ago. The information about the Corona virus  is so fluid and seems to change from day to day we really didn't want to chance getting quarantined on the ship for 2 weeks or more. We're retired so we have the flexibility of easily picking another date.

42 minutes ago, fatbob66 said:

We were sailing on 3/11 out of Ft. Lauderdale on the Veendam to the western Caribbean so the cruise had been paid for a while ago. The information about the Corona virus  is so fluid and seems to change from day to day we really didn't want to chance getting quarantined on the ship for 2 weeks or more. We're retired so we have the flexibility of easily picking another date.

My TA received a very different option for us today!!! We are sailing 4/19 and are in the 50% penalty phase until 3/8. She was told we could book another cruise in the 50% penalty phase at this time...and the cruise had to be during the same time frame as the cruise on 4/19!!! This makes so sense at all to me? If I don't want to do the cruise I have booked on 4/19 WHY would I want to book another cruise in the same time frame??? Are we getting different answers/options from HAL?????

• Like 1

We are also booked on a cruise departing 4/19, transatlantic and following cruise terminating in Venice. I bypassed my TA and called HA. I was also told that I could book another cruise departing in the same time frame of equal value. No help at all! We have decided to roll the dice and gamble that either it will be safe to take the cruise or that HA will cancel and will be obligated to a full refund, rather than the 50% we'd receive if we canceled by March 8.

• Like 1

These are tough decisions, that's for sure.  We are sailing on March 18 out of Ft. Lauderdale to the Panama Canal area.  I have health issues and catching the virus could be serious for me.  However, I could catch the virus right here at home as there have been a couple of cases in my city.  My attitude is that I'm not going to sit in my apartment waiting for the virus to pass because it could go on for months or even years and I could catch it anyway.  My daughter's family, on the other hand, have jobs and school and don't want to be stuck in quarantine for weeks so their reasons are different.  

At the moment, we are going but that could change depending on the situation.  

Gailellen12, I sympathize with your situation.  If HAL is refunding for cruises that they cancel due to the virus, I'd probably be tempted to wait it out.  As you pointed out, though, no cruise is worth your health.  A tough decision.  

My sister is trying to talk me into cancelling, and my cruise doesn't leave Boston until July 4th!  Final payment isn't due until next month.  No way am I cancelling before final payment.  

I am leaving the beginning of April on Maasdam (MR) and just received the following letter emailed directly from HAL. I booked through a TA:

IMPORTANT NOTIFICATION:
      Ships' Registry: The Netherlands
Page 1 of 2
We are closely monitoring the situation with COVID-19 (coronavirus) and our medical experts are working with global health authorities. For the most-up- to-date health advisory and list of boarding restrictions, please visit:
https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/news/coronavirus-travel-advisory.html
Please check this page frequently for updates, and if you or your client are subject to any of the restrictions, please contact us with proof of travel for
a full refund. All guests will be subject to pre-boarding health reporting and enhanced screening at check-in. Guest passports will be scanned to verify compliance. False responses on forms will result in immediate debark at the
next opportunity, and you may face legal consequences. Due to changing events, it is possible that entry requirements for the countries on your cruise may
change and your itinerary may be modified or some guests may be required to stay on board. We may change requirements to safeguard our guests and crew.

1 hour ago, jayhawk66 said:

We are also booked on a cruise departing 4/19, transatlantic and following cruise terminating in Venice. I bypassed my TA and called HA. I was also told that I could book another cruise departing in the same time frame of equal value. No help at all! We have decided to roll the dice and gamble that either it will be safe to take the cruise or that HA will cancel and will be obligated to a full refund, rather than the 50% we'd receive if we canceled by March 8.

I just checked my April 18 Mexico cruise and it shows that the 50% cancel fee is valid until March 20.  Wonder why the difference?  Please tell me if I am wrong as March 8 is coming up quickly.

5 hours ago, fatbob66 said:

Thank you for explaining things. This was critically important info to judge its relevance to others.

10 hours ago, LuAnn said:

My TA received a very different option for us today!!! We are sailing 4/19 and are in the 50% penalty phase until 3/8. She was told we could book another cruise in the 50% penalty phase at this time...and the cruise had to be during the same time frame as the cruise on 4/19!!! This makes so sense at all to me? If I don't want to do the cruise I have booked on 4/19 WHY would I want to book another cruise in the same time frame??? Are we getting different answers/options from HAL?????

That’s exactly what my TA was told by HAL as well when my friend inquired about cancelling.  

Bolding is mine as I so agree with you.

8 hours ago, darstamp said:

These are tough decisions, that's for sure.  We are sailing on March 18 out of Ft. Lauderdale to the Panama Canal area.  I have health issues and catching the virus could be serious for me.  However, I could catch the virus right here at home as there have been a couple of cases in my city.  My attitude is that I'm not going to sit in my apartment waiting for the virus to pass because it could go on for months or even years and I could catch it anyway.  My daughter's family, on the other hand, have jobs and school and don't want to be stuck in quarantine for weeks so their reasons are different.  

At the moment, we are going but that could change depending on the situation.  

We are on the same cruise.  We plan on being on the ship when it sets sail.  I’m more concerned that it could be cancelled out from under us. Hope that this weekend’s meeting between Tump and cruise line CEOs swill bring some clarity.  In the meantime I’m traveling for work, I go to hospitals.

15 hours ago, kazu said:

I totally appreciate and understand your situation.

I’m in the same boat.  Travel insurance doesn’t work unless there is an advisory.

You have until the 15th.  I’d wait in your situation until as long as you could.  

HAL did take care of people sailing on the Westerdam.  They can’t cancel now until they see what is going to happen.

I guess I am a gambler 😉 If travel advisories come out, I’m covered.  If HAL refunds, I’m covered and if things clear up in Europe (they might and the U.S. might be the hot spot) I’m sailing 😉 

there is no right answer and no crystal ball. We each have to make a choice. Some of us will be wrong and some of us will be right.  

I guess we are gambling then with the cruise still 45 days away.  

Thanks Kazu for your measured and sensible approach.  If you could enlighten me a bit on travel advisories I would appreciate it.  Does it mean that the cruise line would reimburse you at that point and they would need to cancel. 

7 minutes ago, gailellen12 said:

Thanks Kazu for your measured and sensible approach.  If you could enlighten me a bit on travel advisories I would appreciate it.  Does it mean that the cruise line would reimburse you at that point and they would need to cancel. 

Travel advisories such as “no travel” are covered by my trip cancellation insurance.  If the Government of Canada issues such a warning then my insurance will take care of me.

But, if there is a Government travel warning by the U.S., the odds are the cruise ship will not go there.  They will either change the itinerary or cancel the cruise.  If the itinerary is changed dramatically, (as in the case of the Costa transatlantic that left on March 5th), they will off a Future Cruise Credit if people opt not to go.  So a credit towards another cruise cost.

Currently some cruise lines are amending their cancellation policies temporarily.  HAL hasn’t done so yet but since Princess and Carnival have, I suspect HAL will follow suit.

This is definitely a situation that is constantly evolving.

We are watching this situation - the temporary changes to the cruise cancellation policy - closely.

And - I fully state, that what HAL does and how HAL responds NOW will fully inform future cruise purchase decisions.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

I just checked my April 18 Mexico cruise and it shows that the 50% cancel fee is valid until March 20.  Wonder why the difference?  Please tell me if I am wrong as March 8 is coming up quickly.

Below is copied from my cruise contract:

All other sailings and cruise tours including Holiday departures:

91+ days prior to departure: No fee (unless you booked under a nonrefundable deposit cruise fare rate)
90 - 64 days prior to departure: Deposit amount
63 - 43 days prior to departure: 50% of total cruise fare
42 - 22 days prior to departure: 75% of total cruise fare
21 - 0 days prior to departure: 100% of total cruise fare

You may want to double check your contract to make sure of the cancellation dates.

39 minutes ago, kcscrapper said:

We are watching this situation - the temporary changes to the cruise cancellation policy - closely.

And - I fully state, that what HAL does and how HAL responds NOW will fully inform future cruise purchase decisions.

My husband said the same thing. Brand loyalty for us is big..... but it only goes so far. Here's hoping once Seattle HQ wakes up this am the memo will get sent out. 

45 minutes ago, fatcat04 said:

My husband said the same thing. Brand loyalty for us is big..... but it only goes so far. Here's hoping once Seattle HQ wakes up this am the memo will get sent out. 

Hope things are okay for you and yours there in Nashville, fatcat04.

• Like 1

Just now, AncientWanderer said:

Hope things are okay for you and yours there in Nashville, fatcat04.

Oh thank you. How kind. Yes, we are good. It was and still is very bad here but thank the Good Lord we and our home escaped harm. Thanks to the amazing linemen from here and all over the country we got power back Wednesday night and internet/phone yesterday.  

The tornado went just 2 blocks north of us here in East Nashville. It was terrifying. One of the victims was a bartender at one of our favorite local restaurants just down the street. Some of our beloved local businesses are gutted. Burger Up was our burger joint, literally within walking distance and they took a direct hit.

But lots of volunteer work for willing hands and lots of opportunity to give and we have the most generous folks here. Every opportunity to give seems available. Even at our Nashville Symphony concert tonight, we are collecting emergency supplies. Lots of good community feeling here. We are a big little town. I think everyone here can agree "I Believe in Nashville".

• Like 4