Yikes! Over age 70 passengers need doctor’s note (Merged threads)

helen haywood

Just received from Celebrity -

Image did not load.

Dear Guest,

We look forward to welcoming you aboard for your upcoming Celebrity Cruises vacation.  Before you embark on this exciting journey, we would like to provide some important information regarding your travel plans.

As we monitor global developments related to the coronavirus, our priority remains the health and safety of our guests and crew, as well as providing you an amazing vacation experience.  To comply with guidance from CDC, WHO, public health authorities around the world, and the Cruise Lines International Association (CLIA), we are enhancing our temporary travel restrictions, as well as global boarding and screening measures, to protect our guests and crew.  These safety precautions will remain in place for a projected period of 30 days and will be reviewed daily. 

Today, it is apparent that COVID-19 presents the most serious health risks to older individuals, the immunocompromised, and those with serious, underlying medical conditions.  Therefore, effective Monday, March 16th, boarding will be denied to any person age 70 or older, at the time of embarkation, unless the guest provides written verification from a qualified treating physician that certifies the person has no severe, chronic medical condition and is fit to travel.  You may utilize the fit to travel letter on the Travel Advisory page of our website for presentation to your physician.  https://www.celebritycruises.com/travel-alert

Boarding will be denied to any person with a severe, chronic medical condition, including those specified by the CDC. Guests of all ages will be screened prior to boarding, regarding underlying health issues that may prevent them from sailing.

Additionally, mandatory, temperature screenings using digital, non-touch scanners will be conducted with guests, crewmembers, and visitors on embarkation day prior to boarding any vessel. If temperature registers about 100.4°F (38°C), the person and his/her travel companions will be referred to a secondary health screening. Secondary health screenings will be performed by medical professionals who will check for flu-like symptoms and pulse oximetry readings. 

Until further notice for all Caribbean voyages, any person, regardless of nationality, who has travelled from, visited or transited via airports through mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau, Europe (not including the United Kingdom,) Iran, Japan, Singapore, South Korea or Taiwan, 21 days prior to embarkation, will be unable to board our ships. This includes coming in to contact with people who have travelled from, visited or transited via airports through these same countries. The CDC characterizes contact with an individual as coming within six feet (2M) of a person.  A full list of restricted European countries may be found at the following link https://presscenter.rclcorporate.com/press-release/80/schengen-area-countries/

As a result, it is imperative that you review your air travel itinerary closely to ensure you do not transit through any gateway in mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau, Europe, Iran, Japan, Singapore, South Korea, or Taiwan.  Guests who have air travel booked through Flights by Celebrity will be re-accommodated on alternate routes and receive new flight information automatically. Guests with independent air travel arrangements need to contact their air carriers directly to make all required adjustments and changes to their air travel.

Boarding will also be denied for any person who within 21 days prior to embarkation, has had contact with, or helped care for, anyone suspected or diagnosed as having COVID-19, or who are currently subject to health monitoring for possible exposure to COVID-19.

We have also increased secondary health screening requirements. The following guests will need to undergo extra screenings at the cruise terminal: 

• Any person who reports feeling unwell or displays flu-like symptoms. 
  • Any person who has traveled to, from, or through Thailand in the 21 days prior to embarkation 

• Any person who is uncertain about contact with individuals who have traveled in the 21 days prior to embarkation to, from, or through mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau, Europe, Iran, Japan, Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan, or Thailand.

In some cases, guests presenting certain symptoms in the specialized health screenings may be denied boarding.  All guests who are denied boarding due to these restrictions will receive full refunds in the form of a Future Cruise Credit. Additional restrictions may be imposed based on local circumstances. For example, certain countries may deny visas or prohibit entry based on travel history or nationality.

We have rigorous medical protocols in place to help passengers and crew members who feel unwell while sailing. Our protocols include:

• Professional medical treatment
  • Isolation of unwell individuals from the general ship population

• Intensified ship cleaning, air filtration, and sanitization procedures

We are assessing developments constantly and will update these measures as needed.

Finally, you can contribute to a healthy onboard environment by taking a few simple steps that will help prevent colds, flus and stomach viruses – both onboard and on land. 

• Make sure to wash your hands thoroughly with soap and warm water for at least 20 seconds after using the restroom and before any meal or snack.
  • Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue (or with your upper sleeve) if you happen to sneeze. Avoid sneezing or coughing into your hands or without covering your nose and mouth.

• Use hand sanitizer as often as possible. Rub the gel thoroughly, and in-between your fingers, until your hands are dry.

If you don’t feel well while onboard, it’s imperative that you visit our onboard medical facility immediately for a complimentary checkup. Our onboard doctors and nurses are always available and ready to assist.

If you or someone in your stateroom has traveled to, from, or through, mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau, Europe, Iran, Japan, Singapore, South Korea, or Taiwan, please contact your Travel Advisor immediately or contact us at 1-844-418-6824 in North America or (316) 554-5961 worldwide. You can also visit www.celebritycruises.com/contact-us for a complete list of global contact information.

We have elected to take these precautionary steps due to the recent increase in coronavirus cases around the world, to help avoid the spread of the virus and to ensure the continued safety of our guests and crew. While vacations are our passion, our primary responsibility is to maintain a safe and healthy environment onboard our ships, as well as in the ports we visit.  We look forward to welcoming you aboard for a truly incredible vacation.

Sincerely,

Celebrity Cruises

4 minutes ago, marciefree said:

So if my husband is over 70 and is unable to get a note, but I am under 70 and don't need a note, does that mean we will both get a 100% refund?

Good question?

WE are in the same boat. 😐

Edited by $hip$hape

5 minutes ago, marciefree said:

So if my husband is over 70 and is unable to get a note, but I am under 70 and don't need a note, does that mean we will both get a 100% refund?

You should. It would work like travel insurance where the travel companion (person who occupies the room with you) gets to be reimbursed even if it was the other person who was sick and prompted the cancellation.

6 minutes ago, Ontario Cruiser said:

So was this sent by Celebrity or the TA on behalf of the customer. What happens if the doctor won't give a note?

Ontario Cruiser

Sent directly by Celebrity.  I didn’t use a TA.  
Someone has put a copy of it on the other long thread about this issue - the one that was started a few days ago before the email went out.

Edited by thon
Add a sentence

4 hours ago, zap99 said:

Not quite what Boris said. Ignore the words "and those". Good point about the deposits, I wonder about my £3000+ air fares to Canada in June. Troubled times for us poor old wrinkles.

I am 5months short of 70 when I travel in May on 14 night Cunard Transatlantic Return Crossing … I had already phoned Cunard up today before Boris made this speech, and they said if I cancel before 29th March then I would not lose anything, although I would have to take half of the refund money I paid for cruise in cash (£1,800 probably back onto credit card) ) and other £1,800 would be given out as a credit voucher for any  cruise line booking up until Dec2021 … plus the Cunard travel insurance I paid £310 for would not be lost as it can be put towards a new cruise … 

I did read somewhere that if you booked a cruise and flights through the same travel agent then they would refund … not sure about just flights that were booked separately though .. you should phone them up and ask.

I also have the same Transatlantic Crossing booked for 1st December this year and I also asked about that cruise today when I phoned... (not because of virus) but I just wanted to know how much of my fully paid up monies I would get back, and I was told that I would get it all back except deposit of £200 .. so that is £3,000 coming back to me if I cancel that one also … and I shall be cancelling both these cruises as I have a pre-existing medical lung condition so not taking any chances sailing in May …..  I could always re-book the 1st Dec cruise with that £1,800 credit voucher and used the same travel ins, because they are now selling that same cruise for silly money !!  … I would still prefer Boris to ban all cruise travel then everyone would get all their money back instead of giving out credit vouchers …. so I shall just hold off until before my deadline of the 29th March to cancel as you never know what other changes could happen ….. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, thon said:

I just got the email many were thinking might get sent out from Celebrity.  Effective 16 March those over 70 will need a doctors note.

I’m 70 and no email. Sailing July I hope. Wish that X would be more proactive but understand it’s a very fluid situation. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, REEtired said:

Can someone please post the email. Thx. 

Per your request...

Dear Guest,

We look forward to welcoming you aboard for your upcoming Celebrity Cruises vacation.  Before you embark on this exciting journey, we would like to provide some important information regarding your travel plans.

As we monitor global developments related to the coronavirus, our priority remains the health and safety of our guests and crew, as well as providing you an amazing vacation experience.  To comply with guidance from CDC, WHO, public health authorities around the world, and the Cruise Lines International Association (CLIA), we are enhancing our temporary travel restrictions, as well as global boarding and screening measures, to protect our guests and crew.  These safety precautions will remain in place for a projected period of 30 days and will be reviewed daily. 

Today, it is apparent that COVID-19 presents the most serious health risks to older individuals, the immunocompromised, and those with serious, underlying medical conditions.  Therefore, effective Monday, March 16th, boarding will be denied to any person age 70 or older, at the time of embarkation, unless the guest provides written verification from a qualified treating physician that certifies the person has no severe, chronic medical condition and is fit to travel.  You may utilize the fit to travel letter on the Travel Advisory page of our website for presentation to your physician.  https://www.celebritycruises.com/travel-alert

Boarding will be denied to any person with a severe, chronic medical condition, including those specified by the CDC. Guests of all ages will be screened prior to boarding, regarding underlying health issues that may prevent them from sailing.

Additionally, mandatory, temperature screenings using digital, non-touch scanners will be conducted with guests, crewmembers, and visitors on embarkation day prior to boarding any vessel. If temperature registers about 100.4°F (38°C), the person and his/her travel companions will be referred to a secondary health screening. Secondary health screenings will be performed by medical professionals who will check for flu-like symptoms and pulse oximetry readings. 

Until further notice for all Caribbean voyages, any person, regardless of nationality, who has travelled from, visited or transited via airports through mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau, Europe (not including the United Kingdom,) Iran, Japan, Singapore, South Korea or Taiwan, 21 days prior to embarkation, will be unable to board our ships. This includes coming in to contact with people who have travelled from, visited or transited via airports through these same countries. The CDC characterizes contact with an individual as coming within six feet (2M) of a person.  A full list of restricted European countries may be found at the following link https://presscenter.rclcorporate.com/press-release/80/schengen-area-countries/

As a result, it is imperative that you review your air travel itinerary closely to ensure you do not transit through any gateway in mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau, Europe, Iran, Japan, Singapore, South Korea, or Taiwan.  Guests who have air travel booked through Flights by Celebrity will be re-accommodated on alternate routes and receive new flight information automatically. Guests with independent air travel arrangements need to contact their air carriers directly to make all required adjustments and changes to their air travel.

Boarding will also be denied for any person who within 21 days prior to embarkation, has had contact with, or helped care for, anyone suspected or diagnosed as having COVID-19, or who are currently subject to health monitoring for possible exposure to COVID-19.

We have also increased secondary health screening requirements. The following guests will need to undergo extra screenings at the cruise terminal: 

• Any person who reports feeling unwell or displays flu-like symptoms. 
  • Any person who has traveled to, from, or through Thailand in the 21 days prior to embarkation 

• Any person who is uncertain about contact with individuals who have traveled in the 21 days prior to embarkation to, from, or through mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau, Europe, Iran, Japan, Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan, or Thailand.

In some cases, guests presenting certain symptoms in the specialized health screenings may be denied boarding.  All guests who are denied boarding due to these restrictions will receive full refunds in the form of a Future Cruise Credit. Additional restrictions may be imposed based on local circumstances. For example, certain countries may deny visas or prohibit entry based on travel history or nationality.

We have rigorous medical protocols in place to help passengers and crew members who feel unwell while sailing. Our protocols include:

• Professional medical treatment
  • Isolation of unwell individuals from the general ship population

• Intensified ship cleaning, air filtration, and sanitization procedures

We are assessing developments constantly and will update these measures as needed.

Finally, you can contribute to a healthy onboard environment by taking a few simple steps that will help prevent colds, flus and stomach viruses – both onboard and on land. 

• Make sure to wash your hands thoroughly with soap and warm water for at least 20 seconds after using the restroom and before any meal or snack.
  • Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue (or with your upper sleeve) if you happen to sneeze. Avoid sneezing or coughing into your hands or without covering your nose and mouth.

• Use hand sanitizer as often as possible. Rub the gel thoroughly, and in-between your fingers, until your hands are dry.

If you don’t feel well while onboard, it’s imperative that you visit our onboard medical facility immediately for a complimentary checkup. Our onboard doctors and nurses are always available and ready to assist.

If you or someone in your stateroom has traveled to, from, or through, mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau, Europe, Iran, Japan, Singapore, South Korea, or Taiwan, please contact your Travel Advisor immediately or contact us at 1-844-418-6824 in North America or (316) 554-5961 worldwide. You can also visit www.celebritycruises.com/contact-us for a complete list of global contact information.

We have elected to take these precautionary steps due to the recent increase in coronavirus cases around the world, to help avoid the spread of the virus and to ensure the continued safety of our guests and crew. While vacations are our passion, our primary responsibility is to maintain a safe and healthy environment onboard our ships, as well as in the ports we visit.  We look forward to welcoming you aboard for a truly incredible vacation.

Sincerely,

Celebrity Cruises

Edited by davekathy

Boarding will be denied to any person with a severe, chronic medical condition, including those specified by the CDC. Guests of all ages will be screened prior to boarding, regarding underlying health issues that may prevent them from sailing.  My question is  if I am a  type II diabetic that is healthy and only  take oral medication will I be denied boarding for my cruise? I don't want to show up and  be asked if I'm diabetic and be denied  boarding. There are many diabetics who exercise, don't smoke and control their sugar levels and are healthier than non-diabetics.

14 minutes ago, REEtired said:

I’m 70 and no email. Sailing July I hope. Wish that X would be more proactive but understand it’s a very fluid situation. 

They may just be sending it out to people cruising in the next few months hoping that things will stabilize before your cruise.

• Like 1