Yikes! Over age 70 passengers need doctor’s note (Merged threads)

helen haywood

3 minutes ago, SunsetPoint said:

Interesting that it's a proposal FROM the leading cruise trade organization TO the White House.  Sounds to me like the cruise industry doesn't want these folks to cruise, but doesn't want to seem like "the bad guy."

Actually it sounds like the cruise industry wants to keep things from getting even worse thus FORCING the entire industry to shut down.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, SunsetPoint said:

Interesting that it's a proposal FROM the leading cruise trade organization TO the White House.  Sounds to me like the cruise industry doesn't want these folks to cruise, but doesn't want to seem like "the bad guy."

There were reports that V P Pence had told the cruise lines CEO's (CLIA) that they need to come up with a strategy/protocols such that the industry would not require shut down.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mic123 said:

My mom (71) leaves for Antarctica on Saturday and she did have to get a doctor note although not virus related.  Due to the nature of the cruise.

Those expeditions require all sorts of docs.  I am only in my 30s,  and had to get a doctors note And proof of Travel insurance.   Insurance cost me $1600 alone for the trip.  Almost as much as my airfare.  And I am only in my 30s!  Can’t imagine how much trip insurance is for someone 70+ for an Antarctic expedition.

This  requirement would be  a huge barrier.  What dr would okay this in current climate?  And who wants to  go to a dr's office right now for an exam if they are in good health?  Will airlines impose same rules?

We are thinking of cancelling  our future bookings other than the one next Jan which we hope will be  covered  by our future cruise credit from Summit cancellation ( voluntary). Losing faith that cruising will ever be the same for us.. 1 by age and  1Diab type 2.  

Easier to do other things..

Edited by hcat
  • Like 5

19 minutes ago, morfred said:

Actually it sounds like the cruise industry wants to keep things from getting even worse thus FORCING the entire industry to shut down.

If we don't see a drop-off if this thing soon, it may not be a question of if, but when.  Even putting aside the medical situation, which is obviously the primary concern, losing out on a vacation seems like such a minuscule issue right now in comparison to the number of jobs in the travel and hospitality industries that could be affected.  😟

• Like 3

In recent years Celebrity , it appears has been trying to redefine it's demographic. They've shifted emphasis from the older, loyal cruiser to a younger, upscale cruiser who whole be attracted to Suites. How is that strategy working out today?  I bet at some point Celebrity launches an ad campaign that says something like: "We value loyalty". 

7 minutes ago, Orator said:

In recent years Celebrity , it appears has been trying to redefine it's demographic. They've shifted emphasis from the older, loyal cruiser to a younger, upscale cruiser who whole be attracted to Suites. How is that strategy working out today?  I bet at some point Celebrity launches an ad campaign that says something like: "We value loyalty". 

Well, in looking at our currently scheduled cruise, Apex 13 April, most of the suites are booked, but there are vast openings in the various balcony cabin classes. So maybe the suite enhancements are working.

We are both over 70 and I think this is a CYA for the cruise lines. Most of the cruisers who take longer and more expensive Cruises are probably over 65. It seems like a knee jerk reaction by them to us. 

Edited by alwaysonaship
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, GRBlizz said:

Well, in looking at our currently scheduled cruise, Apex 13 April, most of the suites are booked, but there are vast openings in the various balcony cabin classes. So maybe the suite enhancements are working.

They really have been working to this point. The decline in the market I believe is temporary, but it might affect pricing. The cruise lines, and that includes all cruise lines, may become more dependent on their loyal cruisers who take multiple cruises. I know a number of Zeniths who have stopped cruising with Celebrity, or have significantly reduced their Celebrity cruises. I for one have shifted at least half of my future cruises to Crystal. They have smart people at Celebrity and they will change as necessary.

1 hour ago, rimmit said:

Those expeditions require all sorts of docs.  I am only in my 30s,  and had to get a doctors note And proof of Travel insurance.   Insurance cost me $1600 alone for the trip.  Almost as much as my airfare.  And I am only in my 30s!  Can’t imagine how much trip insurance is for someone 70+ for an Antarctic expedition.

Interesting.  I just asked her and she said a little over $400.

24 minutes ago, Orator said:

They really have been working to this point. The decline in the market I believe is temporary, but it might affect pricing. The cruise lines, and that includes all cruise lines, may become more dependent on their loyal cruisers who take multiple cruises. I know a number of Zeniths who have stopped cruising with Celebrity, or have significantly reduced their Celebrity cruises. I for one have shifted at least half of my future cruises to Crystal. They have smart people at Celebrity and they will change as necessary.

No one could cruise on Crystal due to their age

Edited by alwaysonaship

11 minutes ago, mic123 said:

Interesting.  I just asked her and she said a little over $400.

That’s a great rate.  Our trip was a little pricey and that may have made a difference, as they tend to base it on a percentage of the actual cost of the trip.

Just now, rimmit said:

That’s a great rate.  Our trip was a little pricey and that may have made a difference, as they tend to base it on a percentage of the actual cost of the trip.

That's a good point.  She booked this trip last month because it was a steal.  About half the normal going rate.

This is only one of probably many proposals out there that is being made to Pence and the team.  Will wait and see what they say.  The hospital I work for is highly recommending not to cruise or international travel at this point any type.  If we do go we will be subjected to going thru Occ Med for assessment.  

3 hours ago, TeeRick said:

IMO- I think this makes some sense in this time of turmoil and only for a short period - perhaps reviewed monthly.  

On the other hand what person plus-70 who is not healthy

would cruise now anyway??

Because, when they booked, they were healthy (?)

By the way, some selfish, infected pax of any age go anyway,

hoping they will get better, instead of worse.

They want the holiday they paid for (?)

Good question.

Edited by $hip$hape

11 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Celebrity already has my money for my April and May cruises.  If I am barred from going because of a stupid rule like this, they had better refund my money to my credit card!  I do not need a $10,000 future cruise credit.  This is age discrimination, pure and simple.

I'm over 70 and don't see this as age discrimination. Just simple profiling based on available data. I absolutely agree that refunds should go back to your card. You didn't cancel, you were cancelled and to me there is a difference.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Celebrity already has my money for my April and May cruises.  If I am barred from going because of a stupid rule like this, they had better refund my money to my credit card!  I do not need a $10,000 future cruise credit.  This is age discrimination, pure and simple.

I would think they would have to legally as they would be the ones barring you based on some new guideline that was not a part of the terms and conditions you signed up for when you established your cruise contract at the time of booking.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, WonderMan3 said:

I would think they would have to legally as they would be the ones barring you based on some new guideline that was not a part of the terms and conditions you signed up for when you established your cruise contract at the time of booking.

All depends on how this if it does happen come thru.  Can be done by Cruise lines, the Gov etc.  Its only a proposal at this point.  Dont get worked up for something that has not happened.  But I agree if Dr. says no then full credit given back to CC.