How do an 87 and 89 year old get home from Freemantle?

Kindergirl

Oh my gosh, i have been following this and like everyone, hoping for a safe conclusion for them as  I would for any one. But lo and behold, when he picture this posted, i remember them. We were on the HAL 2018 world cruise and she played bridge with me often. Such a sweet lady. I really want to hear the end now even more than before.

• Like 7

I like so many others have been following this. Its heartwarming to see everyone trying to help wherever they can. We have all  had things canceled/postponed/re scheduled, etc because of all of this. I have had 2 5K's canceled so far and one postponed. Sure there will be more. Mom and I are Tampa Bay Lightning STM's and have had our hockey season paused. The last game I was at was informed that we will be getting a game work jersey off the back from a Lightning player at the end of the last home game but now who knows how this will be handled as I'm sure all of us selected for this will get the jerseys but in a different way whenever that may be. There is uncertainty what will eventually happen as what was left of the season and the playoffs and could be canceled all together. Then I just missed a orthodontist appointment for this week too and what I was supposed to be getting looks to now have to wait at least till early May. All Dental offices in FL now closed and limited to emergencies only. For me if anything I have breaks or comes off I cant do anything about it.

But I do know thatI will be following kindergirl's parents on their flights. Because of where we live, the flights during approach check for TPA go over us if they are coming in on final approach for landing at TPA using runway 1 L and sometimes 1 R. If they come our way might be out in our yard looking for them to fly over us. Flights  come over us  frequently as the TPA approach just depends on the assigned runway for landing. When using 19 L or 19 R they would be on final out of the north. If 1 L or sometimes 1 R the approach is to go further south over the bay and then circle back to the north for landing and when the landing gear goes down. 

Also Kindegirl if you park on the top Level 9 for parking at the main terminal its a great spot for plane watching. Its very easy to watch your parents land and then the elevators are so close its a very quick transition down to 3. I do it all the time. My guess is that they will land on 1  L out of the south or 19 R out of the north which would be on the west side of the main terminal so closest to the Bay. As us airline geeks would say we love the smell of jet fuel in the morning and we actually have a NWA coffee cup with this on it. Another good app for flight tracking is flightradar 24. Its more accurate in real time and when doing my plane spotting I use it all the time. When watching the planes come in on final use the app and tap on the approaching plane symbol and it will tell you who it is and all the flight info. This is becoming such a feel good story its making want to drive out to the TPA airport to see this reunion tonight. As those of us with ties to Northwest and adopted by Delta because of the merger still say "RED TAILS FOREVER"

Edited by rjbean4
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Kindergirl said:

What does one do for someone that has gone so far our of their way to help. I can only say thank you so many times before I just sound like a broken record. If John could see into my heart he would see it filled with gratitude and admiration, I just hope he knows. 

Send a personal note to Orlando Ashord,  President of Holland America, telling him about the special personal assistance your parents received.  Address: Holland America Line,  450 Third Avenue West, Seattle, Washington 98119.    Also a note to Stein Kruse, CEO Holland America Group, at the same address.

• Like 8

I'm sure the Delta flight crew will take very good care of them en route to ATL especially when they hear of their situation. The flight likely wont be full but then again ATL is the main hub for Delta and their World Headquarters and people that are still flying to connect to other domestic flights in the east. Other hubs for Delta is MSP and DTW due to the merger with NWA. Some of the Delta equipment is former NWA. just a new paint job but they keep their original tail ##s. Just need to know what to look for.  RED TAILS FOREVER!!

Edited by rjbean4
  • Like 3

Kindergirl, Just a FYI. I just checked on the Delta flights from ATL to TPA on FlightAware and there are quite a few cancelations for today. its showing the next flight scheduled to operate has a 8:43 pm TPA arrival. Be a good idea to monitor this and hopefully have contact with your parents  when they get into ATL. The drive you will have to the TPA Airport is going to be about the same or just under as their flight time from ATL and you want to make sure they get a flight from ATL to TPA before leaving to meet them. If there is anything else I can think of to help I will and don't be afraid to ask. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, rjbean4 said:

I'm sure the Delta flight crew will take very good care of them en route to ATL especially when they hear of their situation. The flight likely wont be full but then again ATL is the main hub for Delta and their World Headquarters and people that are still flying to connect to other domestic flights in the east. Other hubs for Delta is MSP and DTW due to the merger with NWA. Some of the Delta equipment is former NWA. just a new paint job but they keep their original tail ##s. Just need to know what to look for.  RED TAILS FOREVER!!

I also miss NWA. I was a flight attendant when the merger began and while DL did bring a lot of growth and new destinations to explore, NWA treated us better and was really like a big family. Don't get me wrong, DL is still by far my favorite of the big three carriers. 

The flight is departing with about 40 empty seats. A large portion of passengers on this flight are actually DL employees that have likely been displaced during their trips due to all the cancelations. 

@Kindergirl It appears all flights from ATL-TPA today have been canceled. As well as the majority of the flights for tomorrow. There is only one option left ATL-MCO and it departs before your parents arrive in ATL. There's a very late flight to Daytona Beach but driving would probably be quicker. RSW has a couple options for now. You may just want to consider driving to ATL and getting a hotel so they can rest before driving home tomorrow. It's a sure thing. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, PiperHolliday said:

@Kindergirl It appears all flights from ATL-TPA today have been canceled. As well as the majority of the flights for tomorrow. There is only one option left ATL-MCO and it departs before your parents arrive in ATL. There's a very late flight to Daytona Beach but driving would probably be quicker. RSW has a couple options for now. You may just want to consider driving to ATL and getting a hotel so they can rest before driving home tomorrow. It's a sure thing. 

According to FlightAware there are still 3 flights scheduled to Tampa before the end  of the day with 8:43pm, 11:06pm and 12:55am TPA arrivals. If Kindergirl would end up having to go back to making the drive to Orlando she wouldn't make it in time unless she had enough notice to make the drive and might have to leave before knowing that the flight actually took off. With some help they could still make the 8:43 TPA arrival FLT.

Edited by rjbean4
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

They do! They look relaxed, like they just got off a little 1-hour flight, not the incredible trek they've been on. 

I've always said that generation is tough, tougher than the generations that followed them.

I totally agree.  That generation had a harder life.

• Like 1