How do an 87 and 89 year old get home from Freemantle?

Kindergirl

Now that they are airborne to ATL will hopefully pick up on a tailwind to help get to ATL a little quicker  with making 2802 to TPA. Sure they will have the help they need in ATL especially with all the Delta employees on board. With the flight they were going for from ATL to TPA looking to be canceled they have most likely been automatically been moved to 2802 now that its the next scheduled flight. Sure has become quiet where we are with so few approaching flights going over us not only on approach to TPA but also even closer PIE (St. Pete/Clearwater).

Edited by rjbean4
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

Someone should send this one to CNN.  They are doing nights reports on ordinary people doing extraordinary things at this time.  This whole scenario, from start to finish, should be made known.  

Brilliant idea.

• Like 1

Great job Copper10-8!!!!  Your halo must be blinding in the beautiful sunshine we are having.  And, I'm sure there will be unlimited wang wangs on your next leisure cruise!!

I do hope there is a miralcle and they can fly to TPA today but if PiperHolliday is right, and she is "in the know", a couple nights in a hotel in Atlanta and driving to Sarasota is not the worst.  After driving from Canada, Sarasota to Atlanta is like a Sunday afternoon outing.  Kindergirl - this is a journey you and your parents will NEVER forget.  I have to say that in the photo posted of them they look like very young 87 and 89 year olds.  Keep us posted!!!!!  Cherie

Edited by cccole
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

Someone should send this one to CNN.  They are doing nights reports on ordinary people doing extraordinary things at this time.  This whole scenario, from start to finish, should be made known.  

The entire thread also needs to go to: Orlando Ashford, Stein Kruse and Mickey Arison

• Like 9

8 minutes ago, cccole said:

Great job Copper10-8!!!!  Your halo must be blinding in the beautiful sunshine we are having.  And, I'm sure there will be unlimited wang wangs on your next leisure cruise!!

I do hope there is a miralcle and they can fly to TPA today but if PiperHolliday is right, and she is "in the know", a couple nights in a hotel in Atlanta and driving to Sarasota is not the worst.  After driving from Canada, Sarasota to Atlanta is like a Sunday afternoon outing.  Kindergirl - this is a journey you and your parents will NEVER forget.  I have to say that in the photo posted of them they look like very young 87 and 89 year olds.  Keep us posted!!!!!  Cherie

Just as another reminder that there are 3 flights from ATL to TPA still scheduled for today. Just looks like Delta canceled a lot of the afternoon flights as there are normally hourly flights going both ways between ATL and TPA. Flights 2802 (7:17pm), 2993 (9:44pm) and 2791 (11:34pm) departures are still scheduled according to Flight Aware. With the current flight they are on and the scheduled arrival they shouldn't have a problem making 2802.

• Like 3

They do have wheel chair assistance ordered in Atlanta, right?  Looks like when they land at A-21, they will only need to be rolled down the same concourse to A-1 for their Tampa flight.  They should be there in plenty of time.  I just hope 2802 isn't cancelled at the last minute.

• Like 2

@rjbean4 thank you for all this helpful information, not to mention the play by play departure! Who knew you could listen in?!?!

Well, none of us expected an easy end to this right? 

I guess I will stay home as long as I can while still giving myself time to get to TPA for the 7:17 (ish) flight and then I will wait and see what happens. Fortunately, my cell seems to be charging again so that will make life easier, if she turns on her cell to call me.  Unlikely, but if she is stuck she just might. 🤞

I don’t mind the drive to Atlanta, it’s been a while since I’ve been that far up I75, but it would be really bad if I left and they arrived in Tampa!

Looks like I’m back in a holding pattern. 

If I break into hysterical laughter just ignore me. 

Also great idea about sending this on.  Feel free or I will once they are home. I also will write a letter to OA and HAL about this whole adventure. I’ll share that here once done. 

Thanks for the hundredth time all! What a difference you all have made. 💕💕💕

• Like 11

1 hour ago, slidergirl said:

I left Steve Hartman of CBS know about it.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Kindergirl said:

@rjbean4 thank you for all this helpful information, not to mention the play by play departure! Who knew you could listen in?!?!

I guess I will stay home as long as I can while still giving myself time to get to TPA for the 7:17 (ish) flight and then I will wait and see what happens. Fortunately, my cell seems to be charging again so that will make life easier, if she turns on her cell to call me.  Unlikely, but if she is stuck she just might. 🤞

I don’t mind the drive to Atlanta, it’s been a while since I’ve been that far up I75, but it would be really bad if I left and they arrived in Tampa!

Also great idea about sending this on.  Feel free or I will once they are home. I also will write a letter to OA and HAL about this whole adventure. I’ll share that here once done. 

Actually the link to listen in on  the control tower was thanks to Copper10-8 as he is out in CA. I have been listening in on this link also but in reality if you are standing by in Sarasota I am just north of you and there have been at least a couple of other CC'ers in the area also posting. I'm sure Delta will do what they can to get your parents to TPA. there is still 3 flights tonight and will likely want to get them where they were originally scheduled to go as much as possible. Once they get to TPA might be nice to spend a couple of days letting them get some R & R before starting the drive back to Canada and also remember so much will be closed and limited along the way. With the time they have spent in the air flying will take them some time to get used to the time change. Oh and the drive up to ATL would be at least 8 hours based on what people have told me who have done it.

FlightAware currently shows them at 35,000 in NE New Mexico with at ETA for ATL arrival at 5:29pm. FlightRadar24 says 5:34pm so very close to one another. Also current ground speed is fluctuating at just under 600 knots so they are for sure getting some help with a tail wind.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Kindergirl said:

I think that you are wise to simply stay put, at least for the time being.  I have never made it to Atlanta in less than 5 hours and I-75 is always an adventure.  You wouldn't even make it to Atlanta in time to meet them at this point.  I feel so sorry for all of you - your worrying and extraordinary efforts in driving to Sarasota, and your parents' disappointment and weariness in this terribly long trip from Fremantle.  I must have missed the post wherein you gave your parent's hometown.  I gather it is Sarasota?  My very best wishes for a wonderful reunion, albeit a delayed one.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Kindergirl said:

@PiperHolliday if the flight is still showing as scheduled on the flightaware etc sites, are they just behind the time and the flight really is cancelled? I’d be happy for any insider info you might have. 

If the flights are still scheduled to fly on FlightAware they should hopefully still be a go. The last flight in to TPA today from ATL arrived at noon. The next 6 afternoon flights have been canceled. The next one scheduled is 2802. That flight will likely have people on it that were supposed to be on the canceled afternoon flights. Regarding equipment 2802 is scheduled to be a  757 so more available seats than  a 737, A319, A320, A321.

Edited by rjbean4
  • Like 2

Sorry about the confusion, everyone. All scheduled flights were cancelled on ATL-TPA but it appears they reinstated 3 flights after the cancellations took place. Likely aircraft and crew changes resulted in the legal need to completely cancel and reschedule. Hopefully these will all depart as planned! The 7:17PM flight is pretty full, so that is a good sign.

Edited by PiperHolliday
  • Like 6

16 minutes ago, rjbean4 said:

If the flights are still scheduled to fly on FlightAware they should hopefully still be a go. The last flight in to TPA today from ATL arrived at noon. The next 6 afternoon flights have been canceled. The next one scheduled is 2802. That flight will likely have people on it that were supposed to be on the canceled afternoon flights. Regarding equipment 2802 is scheduled to be a  757 so more available seats than  a 737, A319, A320, A321.

@Kindergirl I'm also watching the flight notifications on the Delta website. They show many cancelled flights but they still show 2802, 2993 and 2791

Edited by seaoma
  • Like 3

I'm over 10 years younger than your parents and just completed the ordeal of flying from Perth to the East Coast.  Changing the clocks 12 hours in such a short time is a real strain on the body and talks a lot of adjustment.  If you can, I'll suggest staying with them for at least a week.

Roy

• Like 12

2 minutes ago, PiperHolliday said:

Sorry about the confusion, everyone. All scheduled flights were cancelled on ATL-TPA but it appears they reinstated 3 flights after the cancellations took place. Likely aircraft and crew changes resulted in the legal need to completely cancel and reschedule. Hopefully these will all depart as planned! The 7:17PM flight is pretty full, so that is a good sign.

Yeah cancellations are happening more and more and at this time looking into the early part of tomorrow the flights look to be even less at least at this time. I continue to follow the flight on FlightAware and FlightRadar24. Have the FlightAware on our desktop computer to also show weather and it looks like they will have good weather for their approach and decent into ATL. At this time if they make 2802 our Tampa Weather is also good. About to cross the Oklahoma - Arkansas border. 

Just checked and the order for Hillsborough County (Tampa)  to shelter in place has been postponed till  the next meeting on Thursday. Also the possibility of Govenor Desantis issuing this for the state has also been in our news. In the process of checking in on this local and state info have also found the headline that the Tokyo Olympics have been postponed.

• Like 2

They have started their decent for ATL. Due to touch down in approx. 24 minutes.

I just went to get our mail and talked to a neighbor while out walking the dog. He also mentioned the possible situation here in FL regarding our Govenor  and in his opinion thinks that maybe its either being delayed or not going to happen is that it would force so many people to leave at once knowing that no one is likely to be coming in April. One huge traffic jam heading north out of the state. So many are here for the winter that are property owners and this neighbor is one of them. Said they are leaving by the end of the week and already have hotel rooms booked for along the way to head back to Illinois.

• Like 2