How do an 87 and 89 year old get home from Freemantle?

Kindergirl

5 minutes ago, ShipWalker said:

What do the runway numbers mean? 8L, 9R

L and R are Left and R and I think the numbers are compass headings.  I didn't retain a lot apparently from my pilot dad 😄

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Runway 8 left and runaway 9 right Every runway at an airport is designated with a number and a letter

Copper can you pass on some instructions regarding how to get to the links for the control towers. Being a aviation geek would be a nice distraction right now.

2 minutes ago, rjbean4 said:

Copper can you pass on some instructions regarding how to get to the links for the control towers. Being a aviation geek would be a nice distraction right now.

Thar you go! Put in your airport code for the various airports throughout the world

https://www.liveatc.net/search/?icao=ATL

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, seaoma said:

You should put a big sign out in your yard!!

Well there is a story regarding my dad seeing a area along the coast that he spotted once and wanted to find out where it was because of red roofs. As it turned out it was found and bought property. When we moved to FL we lived there for 17 years but moved to where mom and I have been since for now over 20 years. By the time they fly over it will be dark and under 10,000 ft give or take. 

Edited by rjbean4
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Runway 8 left and runaway 9 right Every runway at an airport is designated with a number and a letter

5 minutes ago, jk04 said:

L and R are Left and R and I think the numbers are compass headings.  I didn't retain a lot apparently from my pilot dad 😄

Thanks.

1 hour ago, Mickb said:

i don’t think the US is far behind

Well, here in CA it's not quite as strict, but we're under "stay at home" orders.  Especially us elderly people.

Only essential people working, stay 6 feet away from others if you must go out (food shopping, medical appointments, etc).  We can go outside for walks.  

No, we don't unless they made a call to Kindergirl!

Assuming Kindergirl is making the drive from Sarasota to TPA right now.  Fingers crossed!!

• Like 3

No, we don't unless they made a call to Kindergirl!

Yeah it sounded like she didn't think that she would hear from them while on the ground in ATL and was heading to the  airport in time for this flight so there if they made it. Length of time for her drive fro Sarasota over the Skyway Bridge is about the same length of the flight.  So we will have to wait and hear from Kindergirl. After the flight arrives at the gate they will have a short tram ride in from the airside to the main terminal.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, ger_77 said:

I don't care if it's a Chateau Lafite Rothschild or your favourite "Cardboardeaux", let's raise our glasses (or teacups)  to all the people en route home from their interrupted cruises, and those who are anxiously waiting for them.  Cheers! 🍷

Smooth Sailing!   🙂🙂🙂

Are you getting a glass of wine ready?  Hoping they will be landing soon.  Cherie

• Like 2

Roughly the numbers are compass headings with last zero removed. 16L at SEA is 180 compass with 16 degrees of magnetic deflection so almost due north and south. 9L would be close to 90 compass or almost due east and west. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, rjbean4 said:

Yeah it sounded like she didn't think that she would hear from them while on the ground in ATL and was heading to the  airport in time for this flight so there if they made it. Length of time for her drive fro Sarasota over the Skyway Bridge is about the same length of the flight.  So we will have to wait and hear from Kindergirl. After the flight arrives at the gate they will have a short tram ride in from the airside to the main terminal.

Refresh my memory.  Can Deb go up to the tram stop or is that side of the platform closed off?

Roy

14 minutes ago, ShipWalker said:

Thanks.

The 8 and 9 are 80 degrees and 90 degrees they are probably both the same degrees and aprralel but numbered separately to not confuse pilots, runway 17 would be 170 degrees etc

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Refresh my memory.  Can Deb go up to the tram stop or is that side of the platform closed off?

Roy

She will be able to go up to the tram stop on the terminal side, not airside.

Edited by seaoma
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

Access to the airsides where the gates are is restricted to those having boarding passes. TPA airport has 4 airsides  where the gates are and there is a very short tram used to get to them. So people waiting for those on arriving flights have to wait in the main terminal. 

https://www.tampaairport.com/

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rjbean4 said:

Access to the airsides where the gates are is restricted to those having boarding passes. TPA airport has 4 airsides  where the gates are and there is a very short tram used to get to them. So people waiting for those on arriving flights have to wait in the main terminal. 

https://www.tampaairport.com/

TPA is a very nice airport! I love the parking, too!