Where are the ships going now?

Mudhen

15 minutes ago, DaveFr said:

The Mariner has left Oranjestad and is sailing to Gibraltar. I wonder if most or all of the Alaskan cruises this year are toast.

Dave

Explorer supposed to be in Alaska this year; Mariner in Europe.

Edited by mrlevin

Marc,

The Explorer is supposed to do the Alaska trips this summer. 21WC on the Mariner was to end in Barcelona in early May and the Mariner was to go into dry dock and then stay in Europe through the Summer/Fall and do the TA to Miami in October.

Time will tell . . .

Peggy

We still put odds at 50-50 as to being at Barcelona in late October for boarding Mariner on the 31st for that segment to Miami.  Three of our cruises scheduled during 2020 were canceled by Regent; last month we canceled this April's Explorer Tokyo-Vancouver, B.C. segment.   Cannot imagine Japanese authorities will risk the already-rescheduled July 2021 Olympics by allowing foreign flagged cruise ships docking rights less than 90 days prior.   

So--hope to be at Tokyo in April 2022 for a pre-cruise stay before boarding Mariner for a journey to San Francisco. 

At some point--hopefully--cruising under the new protocols will resume.  

GOARMY!

2 hours ago, mrlevin said:

Explorer supposed to be in Alaska this year; Mariner in Europe.

True enough. But in light of the CDC’s poison pill framework and the closure of British Columbia to cruise ships, will Regent want to or be able to bring the Explorer halfway around the world to Alaska? Time will tell.

Dave

12 minutes ago, DaveFr said:

True enough. But in light of the CDC’s poison pill framework and the closure of British Columbia to cruise ships, will Regent want to or be able to bring the Explorer halfway around the world to Alaska? Time will tell.

Dave

If you notice Regent's new brochure they are not listing the 11 day Alaska nor the longer end of season Alaska as they are both over seven days.  After Seabourn and Silversea and now all of Carnival Corp ships have announced that they won't have sailings over seven days to US ports before 1 November, I am waiting for Regent to do something about the many trips they have, starting 2 April, that are longer than seven days and still on the website.

Marc

PS Crystal just has two Endeavor long Alaska itineraries on their website; I am sure both will get cancelled soon.

3 hours ago, DaveFr said:

The Mariner has left Oranjestad and is sailing to Gibraltar.

Interesting that Mariner departed Aruba 2 days after Norwegian Joy arrived, following Joy's long voyage from Manila (with provisioning stops in South Africa & South America en route) see post #522 above.

Presumably this allowed Mariner to take on fresh crew before her transit to Europe.

It will be interesting to see which of NCLH's fleet is the first to resume passenger operations ............. and when & where?

5 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Can anyone really envision cruises before next fall at the very earliest?

Yes I can.  Crew is being moved to the ships now.  Can't imagine lots of ships going this spring but I believe there will be a start.

7 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Can anyone really envision cruises before next fall at the very earliest?

I think it kind of depends on how you see this vaccine thing shaking out. If we are looking at a cruise open only to vaccinated passengers it could be sooner. If you are looking for Covid eradication via vaccine before cruising resumes, we have a long wait. I don’t think the cruise lines can wait for the latter. 

5 hours ago, Jimmcdaniel said:

I think it kind of depends on how you see this vaccine thing shaking out. If we are looking at a cruise open only to vaccinated passengers it could be sooner. If you are looking for Covid eradication via vaccine before cruising resumes, we have a long wait. I don’t think the cruise lines can wait for the latter. 

But will ports or airlines accept non vaccinated passengers, I cannot see this happening.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, GrJ Berkshire said:

But will ports or airlines accept non vaccinated passengers, I cannot see this happening.

No, they wont, which is why it is likely cruise ships and airlines will require proof of vaccination.

No vaccination, no travel.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, GrJ Berkshire said:

Cant see why not -- Vaccination has less to do with creating a 100% deterrent and more to making sure there is little or only normal yearly load rates on health services..  If your waiting for the former it will quite simply  never happen..

One thing that may change is that vulnerable groups may have to prove they are vaccinated before boarding.

Quite how though seems to be a mystery - no country seems to have come up with anything resembling a vaccine "passport" - and we dont actually have them for far more serious diseases in other countries ships cruise too - Its your risk

Edited by ighten

12 hours ago, ighten said:

Vaccination has less to do with creating a 100% deterrent and more to making sure there is little or only normal yearly load rates on health services..  If your waiting for the former it will quite simply  never happen..

Vaccination is not going to be a 100% solution.  But the ship also wants to make sure that "there is little or only normal ... load rates on health services."  I am of the opinion that vaccination will probably be required of all passengers, at least once it becomes readily available.  It also seems unlikely that cruising will resume, at least in any major way, until vaccination is readily available.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, mrlevin said:

Yes I can.  Crew is being moved to the ships now.  Can't imagine lots of ships going this spring but I believe there will be a start.

I think the crew movements were are seeing are for non-sailing staffing needs only. Senior staff has not yet been notified of a sail date and they will get about 60 days notice and 30 days to fly out. Normal crew gets far less...the crew in transit now is to replace the standby crews...some of whom have been on board for a year+.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, flossie009 said:

Mariner has arrived in Gibraltar Bay; at anchor being refuelled.

I see Mariner has just left Gibraltar with its net destination being Piombino in Northern Italy.

So that will mean all 5 RSS ships will be in Italy

Splendor - Civitavecchia

Voyager - Livorno

Explorer - Brindisi

Navigator - Naples

and in 2 days time....

Mariner - Piombino.

My take on this with today's announcement of season restart being postponed again until 1st May 21 is that Europe will be more Covid safe than the rest of the world until at least late summer

Edited by ShropshireCritic

28 minutes ago, ShropshireCritic said:

My take on this is twofold:

1. With today's announcement of season restart being postponed again until 1st May 21

2. That Europe will be more Covid safe than the rest of the world until at least late summer

................. or 

3. Mooring fees are cheaper in Italian ports?

1 hour ago, flossie009 said:

................. or 

3. Mooring fees are cheaper in Italian ports?

haha - just heard that RSS are taking advantage of current situation to undertake maintenance & mini-refurbishments for all the fleet at the Italian Shipyards.

I would also expect any Covid safe physical changes will be made across the fleet at the same time ready for a restart in late spring/early summer.😀

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ShropshireCritic said:

haha - just heard that RSS are taking advantage of current situation to undertake maintenance & mini-refurbishments for all the fleet at the Italian Shipyards.

I would also expect any Covid safe physical changes will be made across the fleet at the same time ready for a restart in late spring/early summer.😀

I hope you're right . . . .

Peggy

23 minutes ago, ShropshireCritic said:

They have decided NOT to convert crew quarters to single occupancy so any guess as far as other CDC requirements....? I still feel fall is the earliest possible date for USA cruises...

11 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

They have decided NOT to convert crew quarters to single occupancy so any guess as far as other CDC requirements....? I still feel fall is the earliest possible date for USA cruises...

Without single crew quarters and with the current CDC order, no US cruises until November at the earliest.