Where are the ships going now?

Mudhen

3 minutes ago, flossie009 said:

I read that Regent Navigator took crew back to Europe and Norwegian Joy took crew back to Asia; both carrying crew from various NCLH ships.

Thanks, I hope the ones who wanted/needed to go home were able to get there by now. We had some wonderful waiters on our would cruise...Mario, the twins from India to mention a few. They took such good care of us for 41/2 months! I hope there were not trapped and could get home.

• Like 1

Current status of 28 NCLH ships:

North America:

Los Angeles - Regatta and Jewel

Honolulu - Pride of America

Puerto Vallarta - Mariner

Aruba - Gem and Sun

Curacao - Insignia, Sky, and Pearl

Europe:

Copenhagen - Bliss and Encore

Southhampton - Star

Marseille - Breakaway and Getaway

La Spezia - Sirena and Riviera

Genoa - Navigator, Marina, and Nautica

Livorno - Voyager

Civitavecchia - Epic

Naples - Jade

Syracusa - Spirit and Dawn

Brindisi - Explorer

Ravenna - Splendour

Asia:

Singapore - Joy and Escape

Marc

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pcardad said:

Also keep in mind that Regent is rotating in/out about 125-150 essential staff members on these ships....all of whom go through 14 day quarantine once they arrive on board.

If I counted right that is 28 ships. And I understand they need some crew to keep the ship systems functioning so that is ~3500 crew on the low side. But NCL had many, many more crew on board their ships when this mess started. Have all those that are not now under contract made it home or does NCL...especially Regent have crew members still in limbo(not under contract) that the company can't get home? That was really my question. From news reports CCL and RCCL still have crew that are trapped on their ships and not getting paid.

9 hours ago, Pcardad said:

Also keep in mind that Regent is rotating in/out about 125-150 essential staff members on these ships.

I assume that having the majority of their fleet located outside of US waters makes it more straightforward for NCLH to rotate the crew and arrange transport to/from the crew members’ home countries. 
(CDC requirements for cruise ship crew operating and making transfers in the US appear to be onerous in the extreme)

• Like 1

On 8/18/2020 at 3:02 AM, flossie009 said:

I assume that having the majority of their fleet located outside of US waters makes it more straightforward for NCLH to rotate the crew and arrange transport to/from the crew members’ home countries. 
(CDC requirements for cruise ship crew operating and making transfers in the US appear to be onerous in the extreme)

Very possible - as well as no longer having to report any COVID-related issues on board to the CDC.  Kind of a win/win for the lines, at least?

https://www.sacbee.com/news/nation-world/national/article244792442.html

21 hours ago, DaveFr said:

The Explorer has been moved from Brindisi and is now docked in Ravenna. It should be joined in Ravenna tomorrow by Splendor.

Splendor is now moored alongside Explorer in Ravenna

Navigator has joined Voyager in Livorno

32 minutes ago, flossie009 said:

Splendor is now moored alongside Explorer in Ravenna

Navigator has joined Voyager in Livorno

So either Splendour or Explorer will go into cold layup with the other providing mothership support.  Same thing with Navigator and Voyager.  Instead of four ships needing minimal manning only two ships will need to be manned at all.  Looks like Mariner will be initial ship for Regent operations, now all we need to find out is when and what the itineraries will look like.

Edited by mrlevin

4 hours ago, mrlevin said:

So either Splendour or Explorer will go into cold layup with the other providing mothership support.  Same thing with Navigator and Voyager.  Instead of four ships needing minimal manning only two ships will need to be manned at all.  Looks like Mariner will be initial ship for Regent operations, now all we need to find out is when and what the itineraries will look like.

Cold layup for two ships.  Not a good sign.  That likely takes them out of service for a least 12 months.

7 hours ago, toseaornottosea said:

Cold layup for two ships.  Not a good sign.  That likely takes them out of service for a least 12 months.

Not good news

Will Splendour become a "white elephant" after only a few months cruising and a long lay up. Almost a monument to what the Cruise Industry was in early 2020, never to return to such glories?

8 hours ago, toseaornottosea said:

Cold layup for two ships.

Full cold lay-up is speculation at this stage, but certainly pairing the ships will allow some reduction in lay-up manning.

8 hours ago, toseaornottosea said:

That likely takes them out of service for a least 12 months.

Not necessarily, might just be for 3 months.

https://www.*****.com/2020/08/20/what-does-it-mean-when-cruise-ship-goes-cold-lay

Since CC didn’t like my source (another cruise line blog), I quote:

In a best case scenario, Commander Goldstein said if the ship has only been in cold lay-up for three months, the ship could probably get back into service in two to three weeks.

If the cold lay-up extends beyond three months, and goes to six months or more, then Commander Goldstein indicated it could take a month or more to get a ship back out of cold lay-up

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Marc, you have a way of jumping to conclusions, don't you?  First of all, they haven't said that two of the ships would be in cold la-yup.  And I believe Flossie's numbers about lay-up times, not yours.

Yes; but I never mentioned lay-up times; I know nothing about laying up ships.  I do know about shipboard manning (I assume cruiseships have some similarity to USN ships in that respect) and they can certainly save significant manning by pairing up ships.  

2 minutes ago, scuba diver said:

Can't speak for the Explorer, but the Splendor will be in Miami on Dec. 21, 2020 boarding passengers for a sail through the Carib.  I doubt that anyone would or could disagree with me on that.

Jay

Jay,

Do you something specific?

Peggy

Edited by xrvlcruiser

I can't help but wonder what was the point of moving Explorer from Florida to Italy (I'm not sure where Splendor was before, maybe the same?) unless there is at least the hope of some sort of plan to get something going sometime soon.

For example, Explorer was (is) scheduled to sail from Barcelona on 6th November for 76 nights to Auckland, then 47 to Hong Kong and finally 60 days to Vancouver.  No-one can predict when the virus will fade out, if ever, when an effective vaccine will be available, if ever and at the end of it all how many people will still have the funds and the willingness to splash out on any sort of cruise, let alone one at the very top end.

I suspect that they will simply hop and skip ships to ports that are reasonably close to where/when the next go/no-go decision will be made, so that revenue generation can begin as soon as possible once the fog clears.  Ravenna isn't that far from Barcelona, only a couple of days sailing.

But when we start to see ships massively out of position for scheduled itineraries, that's when we have to wonder about the future of ships and lines.  If Explorer is still in the Med. when she should have been in the Pacific it won't be a good sign.  Ditto for the others.

Edited by Chunky2219
typo
  • Like 3

Going by the infamous "waitlisted" designation, none of Regent's ships will be traveling in November.  On the other hand, Miami-Miami itineraries seem still to be available for December.  This may be a good sign, or it may mean nothing at all.  JMHO

Norma

1 hour ago, Ladys Mom said:

Going by the infamous "waitlisted" designation, none of Regent's ships will be traveling in November.  On the other hand, Miami-Miami itineraries seem still to be available for December.  This may be a good sign, or it may mean nothing at all.  JMHO

Norma

Yes, if Splendor comes back from east coast Italy.

21 hours ago, scuba diver said:

rallydave, would you really tell a small child that Santa is not coming this year?

The ship will sail and Santa will come.

But we will have to wait for the Easter Bunny to show up before cruising. 😀

• Like 1