Where are the ships going now?

Mudhen

On 8/23/2020 at 1:59 PM, Chunky2219 said:

I can't help but wonder what was the point of moving Explorer from Florida to Italy (I'm not sure where Splendor was before, maybe the same?) unless there is at least the hope of some sort of plan to get something going sometime soon.

I don't know but would guess that the NCLH decision to relocate much of their fleet to Europe has nothing to do with future itineraries or recommencing cruises in the near future.

More likely it is because of some or all of the following factors:

1. Cost of moorings & ship support
  2. Ease of crew rotation
  3. Less extremes of weather

When they are able to predict the date of cruise recommencement & initial itinerary for each ship it will then be a case of relocating the ships to the relevant embarkation ports and increasing crew levels.

FdR has already stated that NCLH ships will return to cruising in a phased manner over a number of months 

• Like 4

Chunky2219:

Right on point.  Spouse and I are on one of those downwind domino Explorer cruise segments--April-May Tokyo via Russia, via Alaska to Vancouver, B.C.  Anxiously watching for any positive repositioning move by Explorer to escape the 'Med via Suez Canal on way to, say, Australia.  Otherwise, a lot of dominoes will have already fallen as to cancellation of earlier segments putting our chances of being in Tokyo for a three-day pre-cruise segment at Slim to none--with Slim on the way out of town.  

Final payment due in mid-November.  Our TA is working with Regent to get a time extension to December, or January.  A bit-more wiggle room.   Perhaps clarification as to a workable vaccine, with widespread distribution.   Otherwise for us--no cruise.

That would make us 0-4 as to cruises subsequent to this last February.  Three on Regent; one with Uniworld on a series of boats throughout France. 

Trying to stay positive as to Explorer's movements other than those needed to empty the bilge tanks and keep the engine oil flowing as it meanders from one 'Med Port to another.

Take care, and Mask Up!

GOARMY

15 hours ago, GOARMY said:

....... our chances of being in Tokyo for a three-day pre-cruise segment at Slim to none--with Slim on the way out of town.  

Final payment due in mid-November................

You have my deepest sympathy for the position you are in.  We're not due to start off in Tokyo until October 2021 (Explorer) but I'm getting very nervous about all the other plans around it that we'll have to consider soon. 

Upgrades to business class or switch to cruise only with self-booked flights with/without cancellation?  To cover all the bases I could rack up some serious but potentially unnecessary cost.  Extra hotel days are easier to think about but then we get into transfers (with a wheelchair) and .....  the list goes on.  Don't even get me started on final payment date versus late cancellation policy - all the lines are assuming the world is back to normal by then so it's standard policy for me (so far).

Best case - we get immunity sorted but still manage to score a cheap upgrade to Master Suite if the ship is half full.  Worst case -  SHMBO's 60th birthday and our 40th anniversary might work out a lot cheaper; if Covid's still bubbling we might not even be able to hold a party at home!

Fingers crossed for you.  🤞

Edited by Chunky2219
typo

greykitty:

Appreciate the update.   Discouraging, but not surprising article.   Now, waiting for formal, monthly announcement from Regent as to status of any possible sailings, from anywhere to anywhere, for November, which will also affect early to mid-December.  I see our hoped-for April-May '21 sojourn at Tokyo slowly disappearing .

GOARMY!

3 hours ago, greykitty said:

Saw this on the NCL board, with some poster discussion.  

http://www.crew-center.com/nclh-cruise-ships-go-cool-lay-manning

If this information is correct, the news is quite profound since cool lay up would idle the ships for months. Many cruisers are still holding out that their December trips may happen. This article dashes their hopes. And Regent isn't coming forth.

Frank del Rio already said that Regent will initially resume with only one ship, and gradually the other ships will return also.  So if some of the ships go into cool layup, it does not mean that there won't be one ready to resume sailing.

Is there a difference between a cool layup and a cold layup?  Most of what I have read before this referred to layups as hot, warm or cold.  Is cool something different, in between warm and cold?

Quoting chengkp75 from the RCL board

4 hours ago, Laszlo said:

Why would then need a quick dry dock? Unless they have to bottom paint etc... I don't see a reason for a dry dock unless anything below the waterline needs to be inspected X amount of months or years

If they are reducing crew below the statutory minimum manning, the ship is "laid up" in status, and all class certificates are suspended.  Then any certificates or surveys that were due during the "laid up" period will need to be cleared before the ship can resume service, and some certificates would need to be "restarted", and would require a bottom survey.  It is possible for ships less than 15 years old, that they could get away with an in water bottom survey (diver), unless the statutory 5 year drydocking is missed.

I just noticed that the Explorer is on a one-day RT Ravena maintenance run. I am probably exposing my lack of knowledge here but if it was planned to put the Explorer in cool layup, would it be necessary to do such a maintenance run? Is the Explorer going to be the first Regent ship to be put back in service?

Dave

28 minutes ago, DaveFr said:

I just noticed that the Explorer is on a one-day RT Ravena maintenance run. I am probably exposing my lack of knowledge here but if it was planned to put the Explorer in cool layup, would it be necessary to do such a maintenance run? Is the Explorer going to be the first Regent ship to be put back in service?

Dave

Splendour might be the one in cool layup and Explorer the mother ship.   I am still betting on Mariner first ship put back in service.

1 hour ago, mrlevin said:

I am still betting on Mariner first ship put back in service.

So do you think it will be on an existing itinerary, or do you think that Regent will create some new western hemisphere (Panama Canal and/or Caribbean) trips, or at least a trans-Atlantic to get her to the Mediterranean?  Last I heard, Mariner is a long way from Barcelona, where her next listed itinerary starts on May 12.

My prediction is that Mariner will do seven day itineraries following the MSC model.  They will embark/debark in San Diego, Los Angeles, and San Francisco and have a stop in Cabo (if the distances/timing work) or Ensenada.

I cannot see any itineraries over seven days for some time; just like the ships are doing in Europe.

Marc

Edited by mrlevin

5 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

My prediction is that Mariner will do seven day itineraries following the MSC model.  They will embark/debark in San Diego, Los Angeles, and San Francisco and have a stop in Cabo (if the distances/timing work) or Ensenada.

Interesting idea.  I like the west coast aspect of it, which makes it feasible for me.  Maybe that is why Mariner is cancelled so far into the future, to give them some space on the calendar to set this up?  Of course they will have to wait for the CDC, California, and Mexico to all get on board with the idea, so to speak.

• 2 weeks later...

While I don't care about the Regent ships other than the Splendor, I noticed that the Voyager is on its way to La Spezia with an ETA of Sept 17th.  Is there any significance that affects the sailings of the Splendor?2115802545_ScreenShot2020-09-16at6_28_54PM.thumb.png.197054be0f0e5f68379dd420d8dc4dd1.png

Edited by scuba diver

53 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

So I wonder what this means, Mariner's latest new direction?

One of the Seabourn ships had been anchored off Costa Rica (Pacific side) for several weeks. Recently went through the canal and is now somewhere off Curacao with some HAL ships.  I noticed when I was checking the ship's location that there are some NCL ships nearby in Aruba, wonder if Mariner is headed over there?

Edited by Isklaar
  • Like 1