Predict when cruising will start again post-Coronavirus

The ideal would be for a few ships, maybe one from each of the major lines who operate here in peak season, to turn up by August and run trial cruises out of Brisbane and Sydney for a couple of months. Perth could also be a trial port but Melbourne might have to wait a bit longer until the weather and seas settle down after winter.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/14/2020 at 2:40 PM, NSWP said:

They are getting desperate for the $. If they stir the Government up too much they will incur their wrath and the ban will just keep on getting stretched.

Voyages to nowhere are designed for a particular class of person, booze cruises, not much social distancing or mask wearing would take place, drinking, dancing and god only knows what else.🤐

It is my view that no cruising happens until Covid19 vaccine is rolled out and covid vaccination be a requirement to book a cruise and/or embark. If it takes a year or two, them's the breaks, the safe breaks.

I agree with you NSWP. I think passengers will need a vax certificate to board. Personally I don’t have a problem with that, I can’t wait to get the jab. 

I know it’s an ethical minefield but I would also be happy to have a Covid test 2 days before boarding and then a rapid test the morning of boarding as well, just to prove I’m not infected. I know lots of other people would have a problem with it though. 

1 hour ago, CupcakeSusie said:

I agree with you NSWP. I think passengers will need a vax certificate to board. Personally I don’t have a problem with that, I can’t wait to get the jab. 

I know it’s an ethical minefield but I would also be happy to have a Covid test 2 days before boarding and then a rapid test the morning of boarding as well, just to prove I’m not infected. I know lots of other people would have a problem with it though. 

I would have no problem with vaccination, testing a couple of days ahead of a cruise, then rapid testing before boarding.

Edited by Aus Traveller
  • Like 2

On 1/14/2021 at 9:57 PM, Aus Traveller said:

I would have no problem with vaccination, testing a couple of days ahead of a cruise, then rapid testing before boarding.

Cruise Passenger conducted a small poll of their readers and the results were reported yesterday.

"In an exclusive survey of readers this week, 295 voted for the vaccines to be mandatory, and only 38 suggested it should be voluntary." Full article here.

On 1/14/2021 at 7:39 PM, CupcakeSusie said:

I think the ethics are on the side of the people who want to make sure they are not spreading the virus.

Besides, cruising is not a human right, it's a luxury. Nobody was ever forced to go cruising. 😁

41 minutes ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

Article in NZ Herald this morning states 

Plan on borders remaining closed till 2022.

Have you got a link David.

Im booked on Ovation around NZ at the start of December and some of the America’s are getting nervous on the rollcall.

I tell them the cruise won’t be happening and you won’t be coming to ANZ.

27 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

If that holds true, there would be no NZ cruises from Australia in 2021.

Which means no cruising at all in 2021. 😢

There is no way that the cruise lines could put out new Australia only schedules even if the various governments gave the OK. It would be a chaos of cancellations and rebookings.

1 minute ago, SinbadThePorter said:

There is no way that the cruise lines could put out new Australia only schedules even if the various governments gave the OK. It would be a chaos of cancellations and rebookings.

I don't give up hope (fingers crossed). Maybe cruise lines might start in Sept/Oct or so with Australian domestic cruises. If these prove COVID-free, there could be more acceptance of cruises in an Aust-NZ-Pacific Island bubble.

There would be a lot of work with cancellations and rebookings, but if the whole of 2021 is cancelled, that is a lot of cancellations and a large loss to the industry.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SinbadThePorter said:

I disagree mr porter.

Royal Caribbean has canceled most of their NZ and longer cruises and replaced them with shorter domestic cruises.
A local cruise could be changed to suit a lockdown that maybe imposed.

But the rebooking would be a nightmare.

1 hour ago, Chiliburn said:

Have you got a link David.

Im booked on Ovation around NZ at the start of December and some of the America’s are getting nervous on the rollcall.

I tell them the cruise won’t be happening and you won’t be coming to ANZ.

No link ...the article is behind a pay wall and is only the authors considered opinion .

However when you think it’s nearly a year now since all this started , it does make you wonder where we will be in a years time. .......as we are now entering the most dangerous period of the pandemic .

Edited by Kiwi Kruzer

10 minutes ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

No link ...the article is behind a pay wall and is only the authors considered opinion .

However when you think it’s nearly a year now since all this started , it does make you wonder where we will be in a years time. .......as we are now entering the most dangerous period of the pandemic .

Thanks David.

Everything about this virus is unknown.

Our prime minister said a week ago to expect to ware masks for another year maybe over a year for vacation .

On 1/16/2021 at 2:47 PM, Aus Traveller said:

I don't give up hope (fingers crossed). Maybe cruise lines might start in Sept/Oct or so with Australian domestic cruises. If these prove COVID-free, there could be more acceptance of cruises in an Aust-NZ-Pacific Island bubble.

There would be a lot of work with cancellations and rebookings, but if the whole of 2021 is cancelled, that is a lot of cancellations and a large loss to the industry.

FWIW we hold a FCC with Royal from our cancelled Mar 2020 cruise. We have now received an email extending validity for use by Apr30 2022 for a cruise by Sep30 2022. When originally issued in Apr '20 it was valid thru Dec31 2021.

Hoping that our Celebrity Mar 2022 cruise can proceed

1 minute ago, mr walker said:

FWIW we hold a FCC with Royal from our cancelled Mar 2020 cruise. We have now received an email extending validity for use by Apr30 2022 for a cruise by Sep30 2022. When originally issued in Apr '20 it was valid thru Dec31 2021.

Hoping that our Celebrity Mar 2022 cruise can proceed

I think your Mar 2022 cruise is pretty safe. We have a few cruises booked, but I doubt that the first one (August 2021) will go ahead.

On 1/16/2021 at 2:43 PM, SinbadThePorter said:

Or not even in 2022, maybe.