Predict when cruising will start again post-Coronavirus

3 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

It’s only a matter of time for a big debacle to happen in the states.

If cruise lines operate without a vaccine mandate it's just going to be a case of how soon will the debacle happen rather than will it happen. Should we take bets on it?

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

But was it the same crew as in Israel? Anyway it's probably irrelevant. What matters is how RC deals with the current situation. 

I was only a month between the pre deployment for Israel and now.

I believe Israel supplied vaccines for the crew.

About 3 weeks ago they had a couple of crew test positive and I think they dropped them of in Majorca Spain.

The ship was supposed to be clean, as it’s the flag ship of Royal.

But it’s a worry.

Statement from Royal (note vaccination date of 4 June):

Out of an abundance of caution, we are postponing Odyssey of the Seas’ first sailings from July 3 until July 31, 2021. The simulation cruise, originally scheduled for late June, will also be rescheduled.  

During routine testing, eight crew members received a positive test result for COVID-19.

All 1,400 crew on board Odyssey were vaccinated on June 4 and will be considered fully vaccinated on June 18. These positive cases were identified after the vaccination was given but before they were fully effective. 

The eight crew members, six of whom are asymptomatic and two with mild symptoms, were immediately quarantined and are being closely monitored by our medical team. To protect the remaining crew and prevent any further cases, we will have all crew quarantined for 14 days and continue with our routine testing. 

Guests and travel partners will be notified and given several options to consider. While disappointing, this is the right decision for the health and well-being of our crew and guests.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Cunard has just announced that world cruises on QM2 and QV have been cancelled for 2022! Very much a bummer.  That ends our plans for a tour of Australia and New Zealnd form22. Everyone stay safe.  We hope your countries will open up safely and the businesses survive.  

1 hour ago, Hygge! said:

Cunard has just announced that world cruises on QM2 and QV have been cancelled for 2022! Very much a bummer.  That ends our plans for a tour of Australia and New Zealnd form22. Everyone stay safe.  We hope your countries will open up safely and the businesses survive.  

They normally leave Southampton in mid to late January and get back early May, same with P and O UK Worldies. A big blow, knocking those ones out, not looking good for the Princess Worldie on Coral come May 2022.

Why is Princess dragging their feet?  There is no way any cruise will happen in Australia in 2021.  So why don't they cancel the season like every other cruiseline so we can get our credits or refunds?  Our final payment is due 10 days before the official announcement of borders in 17 Sept-ish.  I don't want to lose what we paid + cancellaion FCC from Sea Princess, let alone give them more money when they won't be allowed to operate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tikibird said:

Why is Princess dragging their feet?  There is no way any cruise will happen in Australia in 2021.  So why don't they cancel the season like every other cruiseline so we can get our credits or refunds?  Our final payment is due 10 days before the official announcement of borders in 17 Sept-ish.  I don't want to lose what we paid + cancellaion FCC from Sea Princess, let alone give them more money when they won't be allowed to operate.

Call and ask if they will delay final payment date. CCL has been willing to push dates back at least a couple weeks. 

7 minutes ago, Suncoastsailors said:

Call and ask if they will delay final payment date. CCL has been willing to push dates back at least a couple weeks. 

Why is Princess dragging their feet?  Because they want to hold onto your interest free money as long as possible.  Why offer to give it back any sooner than necessary?

Even if they cancel and give you a refund, they're going to take up to 90 days.  Did it take 90 days to pay your deposit when you first booked the cruise?  Of course not!  They can take your money much faster than they can give it back, and all interest free!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Elorac123 said:

Has  common sense flown out the window ?

Why aren’t the crew vaccinated before they board and if that’s not possible as soon as they board. The mind boggles.

Cheers Carole

Docker posted this:

“At the time the ship arrived in the U.S., none of its 1,400 crew members had been vaccinated for COVID-19. But they were vaccinated soon after the ship’s arrival.”

So the crew weren’t vaccinated until they arrived in the US, you were right Carole.
But perhaps this was the first chance RCI had to vaccinate them 🤔

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 1980dory said:

Why is Princess dragging their feet?  Because they want to hold onto your interest free money as long as possible.  Why offer to give it back any sooner than necessary?

Even if they cancel and give you a refund, they're going to take up to 90 days.  Did it take 90 days to pay your deposit when you first booked the cruise?  Of course not!  They can take your money much faster than they can give it back, and all interest free!

Of course they want to hold it for the % interest. That is why they want  pax to take the FCC's.  What about say, a couple on the Coral World Cruise next May, around $100,000 for a couple, so they pay their final payment whenever, then Princess cancel it and will only refund them in FCC ? No way, give me the money.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Porky55 said:

Docker posted this:

“At the time the ship arrived in the U.S., none of its 1,400 crew members had been vaccinated for COVID-19. But they were vaccinated soon after the ship’s arrival.”

So the crew weren’t vaccinated until they arrived in the US, you were right Carole.

That maybe but I still think they could have (should have) organised it before. (I am said to be pedantic)

Cheers Carole

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 1980dory said:

You are correct on all counts. I have a CCL NZ cruise in Nov 2021 that will be cancelled, but Carnival also dragging it's feet. 

2 hours ago, Porky55 said:

Easier said than done.

The ships are vaccinating their crew as they are able to do so.  Some states in the US have agreed to vaccinate international crew when they arrive to enable them to sail.

We are having trouble sourcing enough vaccinations in Australia to do our population so where are the cruise companies supposed to get supplies.  Governments buy the vaccines not private companies.

Many of the crew are in the younger age group under 40/50 and so do not qualify in their home countries.  Here in Vic we have only just started on 40 yr olds and it looks like we are in trouble with supply.  Yesterday the Vic government stopped walk ups for Pfizier due to lack of supply certainty.

In the comments under Alfie's last video someone asked him if he had been vaccinated on board yet and he replied that none of the crew on the ships waiting it out in Singapore had been done yet that he knew of.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ondine said:

Easier said than done.

The ships are vaccinating their crew as they are able to do so.  Some states in the US have agreed to vaccinate international crew when they arrive to enable them to sail.

We are having trouble sourcing enough vaccinations in Australia to do our population so where are the cruise companies supposed to get supplies.  Governments buy the vaccines not private companies.

Many of the crew are in the younger age group under 40/50 and so do not qualify in their home countries.  Here in Vic we have only just started on 40 yr olds and it looks like we are in trouble with supply.  Yesterday the Vic government stopped walk ups for Pfizier due to lack of supply certainty.

In the comments under Alfie's last video someone asked him if he had been vaccinated on board yet and he replied that none of the crew on the ships waiting it out in Singapore had been done yet that he knew of.

Young Senior Second Officer Alfie Smith might not be allowed to set foot in Singapore, let alone merry olde England without being vaccinated. I think he has a long road home.

In his last Vlog he appeared very anxious and a little tired.  So much uncertainty for crews.

Edited by NSWP

3 hours ago, NSWP said:

Of course they want to hold it for the % interest. That is why they want  pax to take the FCC's.  What about say, a couple on the Coral World Cruise next May, around $100,000 for a couple, so they pay their final payment whenever, then Princess cancel it and will only refund them in FCC ? No way, give me the money.

Les, please stop posting fake news. Apart from cruises that were cancelled at very short notice right at the beginning of the pandemic, Princess have been cancelling most, if not all cruises, before final payment date. They have given all passengers the choice between a full refund or FCCs with a bit extra.

Have a bit of sympathy for the cruise lines. This pandemic is not their fault. They are struggling to stay solvent so we can still cruise with them in the future. Apart from world cruises, and cruises booked by first-timers, most of the deposits would be FCDs ie money that regular cruises already paid a couple of years ago for using on future cruises. In other words that money was already committed to a future cruise. At $100pp per cruise that's peanuts and I, for one, are quite happy to let my FCDs carry on with a bit extra added. I wouldn't be able get 25% or more "interest" on any other investment in two years.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ondine said:

Oh my goodness we are never going to be sailing.

Cheers Carole

I don't mind FCC especially if they add a bit extra.  We will def want to cruise as soon as it's open from our home port of Brisbane.  I would not want the added stress of flying to a port.  But I don't want to give them anymore  money until a guaranteed departure date is on the books.  What they will accomplish with dragging their feet is scaring people from making advance bookings and driving a last-minute only market because we don't trust them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Porky55 said:

Yes, I saw the RC version of this yesterday. They've sneakily got around the Florida ruling that says they aren't allowed to ask passengers if they are vaccinated. Those passengers who voluntarily show proof of vaccination are treated differently to those who refuse to show proof or who aren't vaccinated. Still, it will be a risk having unvaccinated passengers on the ship.

• Like 3