Predict when cruising will start again post-Coronavirus

Just now, Chiliburn said:

Just got a email from my agent .

I instructed them to cancel my up coming cruises.

RC have extended final payment date and should have a announcement soon about the next season.

They told me not to cancel??

Interesting! Is hope rekindled?

Phillip, I think you mentioned a couple of ships that normally cruise here had left Singapore (or wherever) and were heading up to Dubai? Would it be possible that they were heading up there to board crew from eastern European countries? Dubai might be a good transit point for that. Just a thought ...

1 minute ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Phillip, I think you mentioned a couple of ships that normally cruise here had left Singapore (or wherever) and were heading up to Dubai? Would it be possible that they were heading up there to board crew from eastern European countries? Dubai might be a good transit point for that. Just a thought ...

Possibly?

You are a optimist . .  

1 minute ago, Chiliburn said:

They are probably just trying to up sell some some how .

But my agent that offers cruises said not to cancel??

Then don't cancel until you absolutely have to. It usually works out better to let the cruise line cancel, at least it's worked that way with Princess and Cunard so far.

• Haha 1

I cannot see the ships arriving here for the season, no cruising, 21/22, get your money back and dont book any more for a couple of years, who needs this stress? I must be the only dude on here with no cruises booked.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

Take them to the high court.

last person to take a government to the High Court over border issues was Commodore Clive of the Titanic 2.

About as successful a captain as Jonas Gumbry plotting that course in a storm.

Edited by Docker123

52 minutes ago, NSWP said:

I cannot see the ships arriving here for the season, no cruising, 21/22, get your money back and dont book any more for a couple of years, who needs this stress? I must be the only dude on here with no cruises booked.

Not the only one, I was at the beginning of last year considering booking a really good deal on an Antarctica cruise now I feel I have dodged a bullet. It was a good discount but still a lot of money, it would have stressed me out  wondering if I will get it back or get some value out of it 😬

• Like 1

Not the only one.

Do not see any benefit to book and pay for a cruise, given there are no plans to let Australians leave, even if fully vaccinated.

Grim situation.

This year some on the APT tours we did to Tasmania and South Australia were people who were using credits, from cancelled European river cruises or trips to Alaska. .

Some have thousands of credits that they cannot use for a variety of reasons.

There is pent up demand and people are taking what they can from limited choices.

On the Proud Mary cruise some were using credits from last years cancelled bookings.

Nothing is certain in travel but it is clear until the govt permits people to travel no point in booking and paying given the situation. We can dream.    

12 hours ago, NSWP said:

You are right,no ships here .
The only way I can get my deposits back is to pay in full . You know the rest.

But I would rather write the deposits off that give them more.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chiliburn said:

You are right,no ships here .
The only way I can get my deposits back is to pay in full . You know the rest.

But I would rather write the deposits off that give them more.

No use sending good money after bad. 😉

• Like 1

A little birdie told me Royal and Carnival Groups May pull out of Australia if things don’t improve.

I can’t blame them for the way they have been treated and now this.

Closed indefinitely.

https://7news.com.au/travel/no-magical-number-pm-warns-international-borders-will-stay-shut-as-high-vaccination-rates-do-not-defeat-delta-variant--c-3078379

Edited by Chiliburn

51 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

With headlines like this, it will be a long time before cruising resumes in Australia. Full article here.

"A fully vaccinated cruise set sail in the Caribbean. Then two passengers tested positive for COVID-19"

Here's a perspective of that cruise from someone who was onboard.

https://www.cruisecritic.com.au/ab/agents/variation-a/news/6183/?preview=1&source=99360

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

A little birdie told me Royal and Carnival Groups May pull out of Australia if things don’t improve.

I can’t blame them for the way they have been treated and now this.

Closed indefinitely.

https://7news.com.au/travel/no-magical-number-pm-warns-international-borders-will-stay-shut-as-high-vaccination-rates-do-not-defeat-delta-variant--c-3078379

My lanyard is rusting away, but it is all medallions now on Princess, it it not? th.jpg.3ff307dc1f623e5d5dfbed3504733bd4.jpg

Edited by NSWP

55 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

With headlines like this, it will be a long time before cruising resumes in Australia. Full article here.

"A fully vaccinated cruise set sail in the Caribbean. Then two passengers tested positive for COVID-19"

I apologise for repeating your post, I did not check.

Actually, if no other passengers or crew test positive then this case is actually a good thing. Although it confirms that vaccinated people can catch the virus, it would prove that there is a very, very low risk of it being passed on to other passengers or crew. That strengthens the case for only allowing vaccinated passengers and crew onboard, confirms that the ship's Covid protocols are effective, and reassures future passengers that they won't get caught in a ship lockdown somewhere (assuming ports accept the situation).

7 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Actually, if no other passengers or crew test positive then this case is actually a good thing. Although it confirms that vaccinated people can catch the virus, it would prove that there is a very, very low risk of it being passed on to other passengers or crew. That strengthens the case for only allowing vaccinated passengers and crew onboard, confirms that the ship's Covid protocols are effective, and reassures future passengers that they won't get caught in a ship lockdown somewhere (assuming ports accept the situation).

My question is, if all the crew and passengers are 100% vaccinated, where did they catch the virus? 🤔

9 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I agree. I think this is another thing we will have to learn about this virus and how we deal with it. I just read an interesting article from the Mercury Times which is based in San Fransisco, discussing the issue of what should happen when vaccinated people test positive but consequent tests are negative and their close contacts are negative.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2021/06/10/can-you-spread-covid-if-youre-vaccinated-have-no-symptoms-and-test-positive/?utm_email=842AC545D40C54C9C41585EA18&g2i_eui=iDUB5yeImsegZ1M435VWZo1%2bokfWmoi79rnqarj15pM%3d&g2i_source=newsletter&utm_source=listrak&utm_medium=email&utm_term=https%3a%2f%2fwww.mercurynews.com%2f2021%2f06%2f10%2fcan-you-spread-covid-if-youre-vaccinated-have-no-symptoms-and-test-positive%2f&utm_campaign=bang-mult-nl-morning-report-nl&utm_content=manual

I don't think it's behind a paywall but if so I can copy and paste some relevant text.

Edited by frantic36

33 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

My question is, if all the crew and passengers are 100% vaccinated, where did they catch the virus? 🤔

On land before the cruise is the most likely answer.

The virus has an incubation period of around 7-14 days. So, get infected, pass 96 hour test, pass subsequent tests onboard, negative test day 5 of cruise.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Docker123 said:

On land before the cruise is the most likely answer.

The virus has an incubation period of around 7-14 days. So, get infected, pass 96 hour test, pass subsequent tests onboard, negative test day 5 of cruise.

Also vaccines are not 100% effective.  I read of two fully vaccinated people who tested positive on arrival in NZ?

• Like 2