Predict when cruising will start again post-Coronavirus

8 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I feel that the events of the last six months (disrupted vaccine deliveries from overseas, vaccine hesitancy and now the Delta variant) show why it would have been unwise to set a date. Who knows what the next six months will bring. I hope we don't have any more problems along the lines of those we have seen.

As far as the cruise companies are concerned - we do not know what they might have been told.

This plan is about goals, which could have been set a year ago at least.

We know the cruise companies were told nothing because of the way in which they were forced to leave thousands of passengers in the lurch with cruise cancellations. If they had been given any inkling of what conditions were required before cruising could resume, there is no way that they would have gone to the expense and tied themselves up in knots cancelling and reimbursing passengers over this past year. Instead they were given phony baloney three month rolling cruise bans.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, SinbadThePorter said:

This plan is about goals, which could have been set a year ago at least.

And as we know, the general public will never forget the Ruby Princess. Sixteen months later, some smarty pants  will still bring it up as a slur against NSW, even though everyone seems to have forgotten that it set sail before a pandemic was declared by WHO, and the Federal border force made the biggest mistake, by not realising that a neg flu test pointed to a potential covid case. It also didn't help when Kevin Rudd called them floating petri dishes. I've come to the conclusion during this pandemic that the public is pretty stupid and sees everything in black and white.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chiliburn said:

Just listening to some egghead from Melbourne University.

HE predicts our boarders should be partially open at the new year (70%)and international travel will open at Easter.(80%)

Maybe a ship or two after Christmas???

Which lines, most have already cancelled their seasons here and allocated the ships elsewhere. Leaves P&O which would come back as soon as allowed.I dou we will see any ships until stage 4, and that means September  2022 at the very earliest 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Which lines, most have already cancelled their seasons here and allocated the ships elsewhere. Leaves P&O which would come back as soon as allowed.I dou we will see any ships until stage 4, and that means September  2022 at the very earliest 

There’s a couple of ships which could be available after the new year.

My agent (they offer cruises) said a couple of weeks ago ,that RC are still planning on having Serenade and ovation here but it’s going to be very different to the planned season.

We can only live in hope mic ,because I need a cruise.

50 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

You could always do a few B2B's on the Manly ferry, if it is within your 10 klm's radius. 😁

Get hitched on Sydney's iconic Manly Ferry - 2GB

It's too far away from where Chili lives.

I could do some of the ferry runs but not Manly. I think Manly is outside my 10km zone.

Not the sort of news one would want:

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/cruise-ship-covid-cases-royal-caribbean/index.html

CNN) — Six guests have tested positive for Covid-19 on Royal Caribbean's Adventure of the Seas cruise ship, the cruise line confirmed Friday.

Four of the guests are vaccinated and two are unvaccinated minors, Royal Caribbean International said in a statement. The seven-night cruise departed from Nassau, Bahamas, on July 25.
One of the four vaccinated guests has mild symptoms, the company said, and three are asymptomatic. The four are not traveling together.

22 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

Not the sort of news one would want:

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/cruise-ship-covid-cases-royal-caribbean/index.html

CNN) — Six guests have tested positive for Covid-19 on Royal Caribbean's Adventure of the Seas cruise ship, the cruise line confirmed Friday.

Four of the guests are vaccinated and two are unvaccinated minors, Royal Caribbean International said in a statement. The seven-night cruise departed from Nassau, Bahamas, on July 25.
One of the four vaccinated guests has mild symptoms, the company said, and three are asymptomatic. The four are not traveling together.

I read about this earlier today, interestingly the four adults were not travelling together and the two children were also from a different family. One would think there will be more.

3 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

It's too far away from where Chili lives.

I could do some of the ferry runs but not Manly. I think Manly is outside my 10km zone.

Hey I was saying to someone the other day.

If I could just catch the train from Richmond and jump on a ferry on the harbour.

That would be a bit of a treat.

Julie I’m sick of this Covid thingo,make it go away.

2 hours ago, gogo65 said:

I read about this earlier today, interestingly the four adults were not travelling together and the two children were also from a different family. One would think there will be more.

Several ships are code orange and yellow being monitored by the CDC

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/crew-disembarkations-commercial-travel.html

Cheers Carole

• Like 1

Received notification that the Princess March 2022 circumnavigation won't be going to Alotau, but will be stopping at Airlie Beach, Port Douglas and, of course, the token "stop" at Willis Island. Fingers crossed!

4 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Received notification that the Princess March 2022 circumnavigation won't be going to Alotau, but will be stopping at Airlie Beach, Port Douglas and, of course, the token "stop" at Willis Island. Fingers crossed!

That’s positive ,that they are still planning for March.

6 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

That’s positive ,that they are still planning for March.

What else can they do?    I am on that one and can only hope it goes but if it does, not hopeful for the full 28 days for various reasons.   Can't stand the Love Boat Theme using the Ship Horn but heard it now on the Regal leaving Southampton on FB - never sounded so good.

4 minutes ago, Rassa said:

What else can they do?    I am on that one and can only hope it goes but if it does, not hopeful for the full 28 days for various reasons.   Can't stand the Love Boat Theme using the Ship Horn but heard it now on the Regal leaving Southampton on FB - never sounded so good.

I just heard on the radio that the vaccines are going quite well and they predict ,14 weeks for 60%.possibly 70%

What that puts it at mid November?

You better start packing your bags Rassa,have you worked out who will feed the cats?

4 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

I just heard on the radio that the vaccines are going quite well and they predict ,14 weeks for 60%.possibly 70%

You better start packing your bags Rassa,have you worked out who will feed the cats?

My last cat Ruby died why I was on my last cruise pre-covid but she was 17.   We are waiting to get another but decided to get lots of travel in and then get one, but like everyone else we are still waiting to travel.

However, I have 3 boarders coming over soon - Louis, Rambo and Boris.  My son is selling his house and building a new one.   When they arrive, I will especially put a photo on for you - they are just lovely.   

2 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

It was also mentioned that all States and Territories have to reach the 70% and 80% targets for the nation to move to phase B and C.☹️ WA and QLD are laggards at this stage.

5 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

It was also mentioned that all States and Territories have to reach the 70% and 80% targets for the nation to move to phase B and C.☹️ WA and QLD are laggards at this stage.

Lowe’s has got Hawaiian shirts on special ,we better start stocking up for when the ships get here.

1 hour ago, Rassa said:

It sounded fantastic at Kotor when we were there on Royal. But only the Royal class ship's horns have that capability. Coral just has a regular horn.

We'd probably cancel if they shortened it. We've already done a Perth to Sydney top end cruise and won't be interested in doing a cruise that starts at one port and ends in another. However if they did something like Sydney to Darwin and return we'd do it. 

44 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

It sounded fantastic at Kotor when we were there on Royal. But only the Royal class ship's horns have that capability. Coral just has a regular horn.

We'd probably cancel if they shortened it. We've already done a Perth to Sydney top end cruise and won't be interested in doing a cruise that starts at one port and ends in another. However if they did something like Sydney to Darwin and return we'd do it. 

Even if they do a short one, I think it would return to Sydney and we will do whatever they offer. We can only hope!

8 minutes ago, Rassa said:

Even if they do a short one, I think it would return to Sydney and we will do whatever they offer. We can only hope!

Yes, anything would be good as long as it's a return cruise.

However that cruise was sold as a circumnavigation from Brisbane as well, along with various sectors ie Sydney - Perth top end, Perth to Sydney bottom end. Major changes to the itinerary would be a real headache for Princess.

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Yes, anything would be good as long as it's a return cruise.

However that cruise was sold as a circumnavigation from Brisbane as well, along with various sectors ie Sydney - Perth top end, Perth to Sydney bottom end. Major changes to the itinerary would be a real headache for Princess.

I do agree itinerary changes will cause Princess a headache but they have 28 days to give everyone a short cruise.   Princess has been changing cruises that were going to Pacific Islands of late, which you probably are aware of.   Some of them are now going to NZ but as an ex-NZer, do you really think Ardern will open up cruising when Australia does?   I don't think so.  

In the mean time, I really hope all the very best to those in lockdown in NSW.  It is a shorter time for Brisbane etc. but still not great.   We are just dodging the border closures.

3 minutes ago, Rassa said:

I do agree itinerary changes will cause Princess a headache but they have 28 days to give everyone a short cruise.   Princess has been changing cruises that were going to Pacific Islands of late, which you probably are aware of.   Some of them are now going to NZ but as an ex-NZer, do you really think Ardern will open up cruising when Australia does?   I don't think so.  

It would depend on how Australia is going at keeping the outbreaks under control, and how well the vaccinations are going.

NZ ports are being badly affected by the cruise shutdown and are putting pressure on the NZ government but who knows it that will have any effect. The last I heard was no cruise ships in NZ until mid-2022.

There is plenty of scope for a few cruise ships to do Australian domestic cruising. I estimated about four would probably work given the number of avid cruisers here. Ideally they should allow one ship from each of four companies - P&O, Carnival, and Princess as they are the companies that homeported at least one ship all year round in Australia, and Royal Caribbean as the fourth. The ships could rotate around the embarkation ports so that people could get a chance to cruise with a line they like without too much extra travel. 

I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

5 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

It would depend on how Australia is going at keeping the outbreaks under control, and how well the vaccinations are going.

NZ ports are being badly affected by the cruise shutdown and are putting pressure on the NZ government but who knows it that will have any effect. The last I heard was no cruise ships in NZ until mid-2022.

There is plenty of scope for a few cruise ships to do Australian domestic cruising. I estimated about four would probably work given the number of avid cruisers here. Ideally they should allow one ship from each of four companies - P&O, Carnival, and Princess as they are the companies that homeported at least one ship all year round in Australia, and Royal Caribbean as the fourth. The ships could rotate around the embarkation ports so that people could get a chance to cruise with a line they like without too much extra travel. 

I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Hope you are right about starting the cruising.   Didn't know the NZ government was under pressure to open to cruising.  All the very best.

4 hours ago, Rassa said:

Hope you are right about starting the cruising.   Didn't know the NZ government was under pressure to open to cruising.  All the very best.

I can't see any cruise ships coming here til the 22-23 summer season.  Once vaccination targets are met, I predict a slow and measured border reopening.  Assuming vaccination targets are met by year end, we might get cruise ships by mid-22.  Maybe?