Predict when cruising will start again post-Coronavirus

Hi Folks

Lets try to get back on track .. gazing into my crystal ball I see my Nov 21st 2020 trip on Serenade of the Seas .. being postponed  and a FCC being offered valid to 2025  ......so five years for the lines to claw back some of which is being lost 

A hard six month crash will take a very long time to recover from

Regards

John

24 minutes ago, VK3DQ said:

Hi Folks

Lets try to get back on track .. gazing into my crystal ball I see my Nov 21st 2020 trip on Serenade of the Seas .. being postponed  and a FCC being offered valid to 2025  ......so five years for the lines to claw back some of which is being lost 

Regards

John

We are on serenade on the 12 December.

let’s face it Cruise ships and aircraft are big incubators and I don’t think it will kick off until we have a vaccine.

So their talking early next year for a vaccine for general use .

If so we are all going to be hanging out for a holiday.

Im just thinking about final payment in September. Should I pay it or l just let the bookings laps.

On the Royal  Carribean forum people are concerned about their money. RC just borrowed $2.5 billion to stay solvent. 

52 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I am certain my July segment of the world cruise from UK to USA will not go ahead. Our next booked cruise after that is November. We will wait and see.

I think that’s a certainty.

I wouldn’t risk being stuck somewhere in a foreign country.

I very much doubt things will ever get back to the way they were pre-COVID-19. Until such time as a vaccine has been developed AND is in widespread use there will always be a risk that you could become infected (unless you have already contracted the virus and recovered and have immunity). 

The other scary factor here is, that like the seasonal flu, which is caused my mutations of flu virus there is a school of thought that COVID-19 could come back seasonally in it's own right but once an initial vaccine is developed yearly vaccines could be available. If you don't like needles perhaps you better get used to them!

In any case I think if the cruise lines themselves manage to survive, it will be at least a year if not more before they can start limited cruises. Assuming any nation around the world is game enough to let them operate in their area. 

It's a shame but things will change. 

On 3/26/2020 at 1:30 AM, VK3DQ said:

Hi Folks

Regards

John

You may be right...I hope not. I think it depends on where the cruises are going. I think there will be some cruises running before August. I hope that the bean counters will grab a brain and extend the FCC expiry (probably not). I think that there will be more vigorous health screening. Hopefully a less ridiculous age and chronic condition exclusion. There are many older people who are more robust than some of the out of shape, couch potatoes we all see on cruise ships. I am a man of dimension and 60 years old and I'm no more risk than the 30 year old man of dimension. My wife is diabetic but has it well under control with oral medication. Under the current restrictions she would be refused boarding. These restrictions have to be re-evaluated or much of the customer base will be excluded

I think that a workable vaccine will start up the cruising industry successfully and then we will have to show proof of having the vaccine to get on board during the start up time.

If Australia can get the numbers down for the virus within our country, we could be able to cruise within Australian waters sooner but we have to ask the question of how safe will the ship environment be, especially for the 70+ passengers?

I would hate to see international travellers allowed into the country before a vaccine is available and likewise, we should not travel abroad until one is available.

• Like 1

On the 28th P&O Aust announced more cruise cancellations due to the Aust Govt extending it's ban on cruise operations until June 15. Carnival same.....they are hopeful of a return to service on Jun 16...... no doubt Princess and the others will not be far behind... obviously the return date is not set in concrete...time will tell.  

The port of Singapore will supposedly remain closed through May 2020, so don't think Sapphire Princess' early cruises ex Perth will be going ahead...

I am hopeful for a return in the spring, we may only get the choice of local cruising but hey that's okay......

Edited by badgerbill
word left out...whoops

6 minutes ago, badgerbill said:

I am hopeful for a return in the spring, we may only get the choice of local cruising but hey that's okay......

I think that is the earliest we will be able to see cruising start up. I agree that it is likely to be Aust domestic cruises and to NZ if both have either tamed the virus or are virus-free. I can't see the Pacific islands wanting cruise ship visits if there is a chance of introducing the virus to their populations.  

9 minutes ago, badgerbill said:

On the 28th P&O Aust announced more cruise cancellations due to the Aust Govt extending it's ban on cruise operations until June 15. Carnival same.....they are hopeful of a return to service on Jun 16...... no doubt Princess and the others will not be far behind... obviously the return date is not set in concrete...time will tell.  

When Princess announced their 'pause' they offered that people who had cancelled a cruise after a certain date (from memory 27th January) would receive the same compensation as people who hadn't cancelled. Has P&O offered anything similar? We cancelled a 30th May cruise because of the virus and lost our deposits. We did not feel it would be safe to cruise at the end of May when the situation regarding the virus will probably be worse than it is now. We cancelled when we did so we would lose only our deposit, not part of the balance we had paid.

I am now waiting for Princess' next announcement. They have to cancel further cruises.

10 minutes ago, badgerbill said:

But will the local ports accept them ?

It won’t just be cruising ,all travelling will be suspect  and difficult . We are in for huge upheavals and I don’t think they will come easily .

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Has P&O offered anything similar? We cancelled a 30th May cruise because of the virus and lost our deposits. We did not feel it would be safe to cruise at the end of May when the situation regarding the virus will probably be worse than it is now. We cancelled when we did so we would lose only our deposit, not part of the balance we had paid.

Nothing on that particular notice.....

"I know you will be wanting to know what affect this will have on your upcoming cruise. We will be in touch again early next week with an update for guests booked on itineraries scheduled to depart before June 15.

As always, guests booked on these cruises will also hear from us directly. There is no need to call. Please understand that in the current circumstances we have limited call centre capacity."

We are waiting for the Princess announcement too... Sapphire P Jun 8.....

Ports of call will be the real decider as to when cruising gets back into it, as cruising has taken a real hammering and many places wouldn't want the risk of a Artania, Vasco de Gama, Grand Princess type situation happening, let alone a Diamond or Ruby Princess.

4 minutes ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

But will the local ports accept them ?

It won’t just be cruising ,all travelling will be suspect  and difficult . We are in for huge upheavals and I don’t think they will come easily .

David hopefully all Australian ports once open will accept them, local tourism will need this.....also...perhaps only the ships that have been grounded, for want of a better word,  here would be allowed to commence operations locally and passengers may be restricted to locals only to begin with...to be honest who really knows.....

I know one thing in the 25+ years we have been cruising ...they will be the cleanest ships we have ever been on.... 

Going to be a lot of changes to passenger terms and conditions too....

17 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Ports of call will be the real decider as to when cruising gets back into it, as cruising has taken a real hammering and many places wouldn't want the risk of a Artania, Vasco de Gama, Grand Princess type situation happening, let alone a Diamond or Ruby Princess.

That’s what I was thinking . If a ship came in with Norovirus for example , the locals will take fright and send them away . It will take the public a long time to forget about the passengers trapped on board. 
I remember....yes here we go ......on my first trip overseas during a stopover in Singapore and I could not believe the number of “abandoned “ ships lying at anchor in the bay.

Hi Folks

Our 21 November 2020 Cruise on Serenade of the Seas just goes around the north Island of New Zealand .. I suspect the cruise will not take place however I suppose that being cast away with the Kiwis would not be so bad  confined in a batch and fed on Fush & Chups and Steinlarger one could get used to the idea now we need to arrange for the ship to have a small mechanical issue , perhaps the anchor could get stuck on the bottom .... Akaroa sound like the spot ,,,,

Deckchair and Cab Sav.....

Regards

John

The 2 Deaths were passengers on the Ruby Princess.

Five more crew were taken to hospital in Sydney over the last two days.

There are now over 400 passengers from the Ruby Princess infected.

This is 10% of the total persons  is infected in Australia with coronavirus.

The cruise operators need take a long hard look at how they operate.

4 minutes ago, SY7DNEY CRUISER said:

The cruise operators need take a long hard look at how they operate.

Or maybe passengers need to be more responsible when they feel unwell ie stay in their cabins, don't cough all over other people (as happened to DH on a recent cruise), don't cough into hands (also seen repeatedly on a recent cruise) then move around the ship touching things, report illnesses to the Medical Centre, wash hands often and use sanitiser, don't touch face unless with clean hands, don't embark if you feel unwell, etc, etc, etc.

• Like 3