for fun: Do/Would you still put on all your makeup and decent clothes if you are quarantined

slidergirl

17 hours ago, purduemom1 said:

Sounds like a good day. I haven’t had one of those in awhile. Let us know what you think of the chili with pumpkin chili. 

Hi Sharon,  I'm sorry you're having a rough time, & I totally understand :)   I haven't posted much lately because I've been filled with doom & gloom & haven't had much nice to say...  however, today's our anniversary, (34 years)  & I decided to bottle up my limoncello a few days early...  so it's in the freezer now, & we'll have some with our dinner tonight...  I hope things brighten up for you a bit soon.   I know you miss your kids, & this is so hard to do, especially when it seems like lots of folks are living like this isn't going on.  

Anyhow take care,  XXXX, & hugs to you.

& Hi to everyone else too & a hug if you need it :)

-Debbie

IMG_1146.thumb.jpg.209bf38273f3519f72f49c247f69b9e2.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi girls, doing better, thanks🙂.  I am still trying to clean the blood out of the bedroom carpet........today is

baking soda.  I tried several other things first. Any recommendations would be welcomed. 

have you tried Oxy ?  

5 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi girls, doing better, thanks🙂.  I am still trying to clean the blood out of the bedroom carpet........today is

baking soda.  I tried several other things first. Any recommendations would be welcomed. 

Try a paste of white vinegar & baking soda, scrub it in & let it sit a bit. Peroxide too (just not together) You might need to call a professional carpet cleaner as it’s been sitting on the carpet for awhile

Edited by awhfy

16 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

Love your display. We have a sled we dragged down from Pennsylvania that we use with our Christmas decorations. The luge is so much more cool and especially with the history behind it.

If you don't mind me asking, but what do you mean when you said "I was on the bobsled/skeleton side of things." Are/were you in competitive sports?

Yikes, are you talking about the shingles shots that I need to get? 😅

There are 3 sliding sports: luge, bobsled, skeleton.  Luge has it's own governing body.  I wasn't an athlete, but an official.  I started in 1998 and worked through to get my international license as a bobsled official.  I was the Chief of Finish for bobsled & skeleton for the 2002 Olympic Winter Games.  Through the sports, I had the great opportunity to travel to Canada, Germany, Austria, Switzerland for events.  I got out of it in 2007 (politics).  I got to know a bunch of those kids intimately as it is a small set of people involved.  I still have FB conversations with many of them.  

As for shots, tooooo many that we need to get!!!  Absolutely the flu shot.  Then, the shingles vaccination (it's a 2 part shot).  And, talk to your provider about the pneumonia shot also.   I actually just got my flu shot an hour ago.  My pharmacist had some of us on a wait list for the high-dose shot and he called that it came in this morning.  I had my pneumonia vaccine about a month ago now.  I have to wait until December to be cleared to get the shingles treatment because I had shingles in June/July.   

OOTD:  Since I had to visit the pharmacy:  my Sweaty Betty black jungle leggings, my grey Ron Jon surf Tshirt (short sleeves for the shot) and my "Kamala" Converse All Stars...

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, cruise kitty said:

have you tried Oxy ?  

I have to laugh - first thing I thought of was "why would she use oxycontin for a stain?"  Shows where my head is...

My blood pressure is skyrocketing most likely watching a steroid psychotic episode in real time on TV...

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, cruise kitty said:

Hi Sharon,  I'm sorry you're having a rough time, & I totally understand 🙂   I haven't posted much lately because I've been filled with doom & gloom & haven't had much nice to say...  however, today's our anniversary, (34 years)  & I decided to bottle up my limoncello a few days early...  so it's in the freezer now, & we'll have some with our dinner tonight...  I hope things brighten up for you a bit soon.   I know you miss your kids, & this is so hard to do, especially when it seems like lots of folks are living like this isn't going on.  

& Hi to everyone else too & a hug if you need it 🙂

-Debbie

Happy anniversary!  Enjoy your limoncello! 🎂💐🥂🎉

• Like 1

Kat. She got the 6 as she had a substantial credit. She had an appointment at the Apple store & said she got more info from the Best Buy guys. My husband has the ECG one & loves it. Ran it against our doctor’s ECG & reading was exactly the same. I like that it tells me if he’s fallen (even if he didn’t actually fall, just spent too much time on the floor doing the new floor; I came running & he was just whistling away) 

Lois, you might want to consider the ECG one as it will actually call 911 for you 

Hi Melody, what is an ECG? Is it like one of the those buttons to press when it is an emergency?

Oxyclean? Nope, I have not tried that one yet. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, awhfy said:

Kat. She got the 6 as she had a substantial credit. She had an appointment at the Apple store & said she got more info from the Best Buy guys. My husband has the ECG one & loves it. Ran it against our doctor’s ECG & reading was exactly the same. I like that it tells me if he’s fallen (even if he didn’t actually fall, just spent too much time on the floor doing the new floor; I came running & he was just whistling away) 

Lois, you might want to consider the ECG one as it will actually call 911 for you 

The SE will do 911 and fall alert also.   I don't know - $279 for the SE vs $399 for the 6 (both the basic model, no special case or wristband).  this is a chunk of change.  I guess it could be a VERY early Christmas present..  I was able to drag out Santa Claus for 3 months last year and then went right to the Easter Bunny.  

I did feel naked today with no watch, so I have to think fast about it.  

Edited by slidergirl
  • Like 1

Lois - ECG is equal to EKG which is electrocardiogram.  shows your heart rhythm (that up and down line you see on the hospital shows - up and down = good, flat = bad).  

Sharon - sorry you were having a bad day.  We're all having that, we're just taking turns.  Like, I had 3 really good days in a row just now, the first time in a LOOOOOONG time.  

I just have to watch my blood pressure and stay away from anything I can toss at the TV...

• Like 1

The turkey pumpkin chili - Meh.  Really thick and pretty bland . I kept looking at the recipe to be sure I hadn't left something out. My critique:  the amount of pumpkin to the other things seemed out of whack.  I'd maybe add a second can of tomatoes.  Not a fan of the corn in there - I usually like it in "red" chili, but it just wan't right.  I probably would have really seasoned the turkey as it browned - more cumin, some chili powder, salt and LOTS of pepper.  I have a bunch left over - maybe I'll buy another can of tomatoes and see if helps after-the-fact.  

All in the name of food science.  Have a good evening all!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cruise kitty said:

I haven't posted much lately because I've been filled with doom & gloom & haven't had much nice to say...  however, today's our anniversary, (34 years)  & I decided to bottle up my limoncello a few days early...  so it's in the freezer now, & we'll have some with our dinner tonight...  I hope things brighten up for you a bit soon.   I know you miss your kids, & this is so hard to do, especially when it seems like lots of folks are living like this isn't going on.  

-Debbie

I know what you mean. I have been pretty much in lockdown since this whole she-bang got started, and twice now I have gotten to a place where it's hard to feel happy/good/cheerful about anything -- especially when things look just as grim as they have; no real light at the end of the tunnel...  It's hard not to be mad at those who go out and keep the pandemic going. 

Both times I have just kept going and eventually the mood lifted. I have to say, though, that I feel really weary (from work stress but also COVID stress). It's been hard not seeing my parents (88 and 94!) or sister, not going to work and seeing my colleagues that I've worked with for close to 20 years, etc.   I'm very lucky to have my adult son with me -- he was living at home when this all started and is still here. 

Without travel in the near-term to look forward to, a lot of my day-to-day joy of living is missing though...

I hope you are able to turn the corner -- just remember:

image.png.0a5397d324b3d3d040fd0c662e0df09d.png

• Like 2

5 hours ago, cruise kitty said:

Hi Sharon,  I'm sorry you're having a rough time, & I totally understand 🙂   I haven't posted much lately because I've been filled with doom & gloom & haven't had much nice to say...  however, today's our anniversary, (34 years)  & I decided to bottle up my limoncello a few days early...  so it's in the freezer now, & we'll have some with our dinner tonight...  I hope things brighten up for you a bit soon.   I know you miss your kids, & this is so hard to do, especially when it seems like lots of folks are living like this isn't going on.  

& Hi to everyone else too & a hug if you need it 🙂

-Debbie

Thanks, Debbie. I know that several of us feel the same from time to time and it’s nice to know that we all care about one another. 

Your limoncello is beautiful and a nice treat to help celebrate your anniversary. Wishing you and DH a very happy 34th and may you have many, many more happy years together.

I’m sorry you have also had some not so good days. It is so easy to go there when we start thinking about how long we have been dealing with this with no end in sight. If we only knew when we will get our lives back........Anyway a big fiber hug for you:)

Sharon

• Like 2

Kat and Sally, thanks for the kind words-it does help. As Debbie and Cynthia said, it’s hard watching so many going about as if the pandemic isn’t happening and possibly making things worse for everyone and prolonging the pandemic. Cynthia,  not seeing your parents must be especially hard. I hope that will change soon. 

Kat, thanks for the chili review. If I try it, I might use just one can of pumpkin and more tomatoes. I often add carrots, celery, peppers (not the green ones) and green beans to a chili base. Guess it really isn’t traditional chili but we like it and it’s a one dish meal. 

Apple watch, cool!  I can see why the Apple store is taking appointments. There are usually so many people in there. 

Hang in there everyone!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, slidergirl said:

There are 3 sliding sports: luge, bobsled, skeleton.  Luge has it's own governing body.  I wasn't an athlete, but an official.  I started in 1998 and worked through to get my international license as a bobsled official.  I was the Chief of Finish for bobsled & skeleton for the 2002 Olympic Winter Games.  Through the sports, I had the great opportunity to travel to Canada, Germany, Austria, Switzerland for events.  I got out of it in 2007 (politics).  I got to know a bunch of those kids intimately as it is a small set of people involved.  I still have FB conversations with many of them.  

As for shots, tooooo many that we need to get!!!  Absolutely the flu shot.  Then, the shingles vaccination (it's a 2 part shot).  And, talk to your provider about the pneumonia shot also.   I actually just got my flu shot an hour ago.  My pharmacist had some of us on a wait list for the high-dose shot and he called that it came in this morning.  I had my pneumonia vaccine about a month ago now.  I have to wait until December to be cleared to get the shingles treatment because I had shingles in June/July.   

OOTD:  Since I had to visit the pharmacy:  my Sweaty Betty black jungle leggings, my grey Ron Jon surf Tshirt (short sleeves for the shot) and my "Kamala" Converse All Stars...

Sounds like you had an interesting career. Now I get the slidergirl.

Flu shot - get them every year, but I did learn about the high dose on here, thanks.

Shingles and pneumonia vaccine shots are on my list to talk to my dr about to set up the appt.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi Melody, what is an ECG? Is it like one of the those buttons to press when it is an emergency?

Oxyclean? Nope, I have not tried that one yet. 

Electro cardiographs. Also known as an EKG. does a I think 20 second test. No wires or anything

So we found this new little gem of a restaurant yesterday. It’s about 3 miles from our house. I’d been craving a lobster roll & oh my, as good as Maine (& I’m fussy!). The owner (Chef Bob) came out to our perfectly distanced table (with his lobster mask) to ask us how our meal was. I said fabulous & next time I’m going to get the scallops. He walked away & came back with 2 freshly prepared scallops & his homemade tartar sauce. Oh my!  So good. Great food, great service & friendly folks (full bar too). Happy tummy

B84ACC33-77BA-4229-8A00-630C37A0BFDB.jpeg

1A496A9F-18CE-409F-9CFB-445947E44055.jpeg

12EEE23A-3F16-4C78-9A26-65B64A3047F5.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, awhfy said:

Electro cardiographs. Also known as an EKG. does a I think 20 second test. No wires or anything

Good morning🙂.......oh, I know what that is.....maybe I am confused.  I don't need anything for my heart. I thought

you were recommending something like a button if an emergency arises.....what happened to me was a horrific

stomach issue. 

3 hours ago, Lois R said:

Good morning🙂.......oh, I know what that is.....maybe I am confused.  I don't need anything for my heart. I thought

you were recommending something like a button if an emergency arises.....what happened to me was a horrific

stomach issue. 

Lois - the watch also has the 911 feature.  It also has the feature that it somehow knows if you take a fall - asks you if you are ok and if you don't respond, will alert 911.   Living alone and traveling alone, it sure sounds like a good idea.  It would make a good companion to my Road ID (a GREAT item for everyone who travels/hikes/bikes/runs to have!!!).  

We have a place here in Park City that does amazing lobster rolls - Freshies.  Husband & wife from Maine.  He has a friend there who air ships lobsters to him.  They went to the one Championships back in Maine a few years ago and won "Best Lobster Roll" against all the biggies in New England.  My favorite is the lobster "roll" in a lettuce wrap instead and has a sriracha aoli on it.  Definitely NOT traditional, but damn good.  

I'm not sure about the ECG and pulse ox feature still.   It would have been interesting to have the pulse ox back when I was sick last Winter, though.  I made an appointment for this afternoon for the Apple Store.  If nothing else, it'll get me out of the house and I'll be close by Shake Shack and Trader Joe's again 

OOTD:  Hmm.  Another pair of leggings (of course) and maybe my "parts of the pig" Tshirt.  Definitely my Kamala Converse All Stars.  Gotta represent! 😉

• Like 1

21 hours ago, slidergirl said:

I have to laugh - first thing I thought of was "why would she use oxycontin for a stain?"  Shows where my head is...

My blood pressure is skyrocketing most likely watching a steroid psychotic episode in real time on TV...

lol, at first it autocorrected to that :)   I feel like if Oxytocin's can't get something out, nothing can.   

That's so cool that you worked with the Olympic teams,  the only thing I know about the sledding portions is the movie Cool Runnings....  I didn't realize that there are 3 different sledding events (is sledding the correct term)   

How is the air doing out your way?  the wind has shifted here & brought back the smoke, but it's not too bad.  

& TV wise, I don't know if I mentioned it, but our tv went out last Wednesday,  hopefully the repair person will be here by friday, but until then we are like that old redneck tv on top of broken tv joke....  I moved a little cabinet under the broke tv to try & be semi civilized, but  our old 28 inch tv is definitely no substitute. :classic_tongue:

IMG_1126.thumb.JPG.170f028fab2e24d2fa173c75ce9e3a60.JPG

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi Kat, I must have totally missed a full post............what watch are you referring to?

Lois, I think Kat & Melody mentioned a watch that will call 911 if you fall or are unconscious & can't get to the phone :)

Hope you're doing well, & hope yo can get that stain out of the carpet