Cruising Again.....

brightestfan

I just can't see how we can return to any form or normality until we have a vaccine, China has slowed right down now but this is due to the restrictions in place, when you consider they have a population over 1,400,000,000 and only 70,500 have been (officially) infected so far, if those figures are accurate (they aren't) that's 0.005%.

Edited by ziggyuk
  • Like 2

I think cruises will restart from end of April only in areas where Corona virus has been beaten, but due to travel restrictions the itineraries will look very different (as countries do not want to re-import the virus, our cross-border travel will be severely reduced) through to the end of the year.

My guess:  MSC's first cruise is from Genoa to Rome, Naples, Palermo and back in the first few week of May.  From Miami by beginning of June to the private islands only.

I think September will be more realistic. Numbers are continuing to Increase in Italy, France and Spain in large jumps, Italy have said they will extend the lock down through April.

Edited by sidari
  • Like 2

Until they have an effective Vaccine cruising is definitely out for us, the second/third wave just can't be ignored and cruising has proven to be the worst possible place to be exposed, if we didn't already know it.  The way MSC has reacted to future cruise booking is of deep concern, and my trust in them has been totally eroded.  Celebrity at least was prompt in their actions and treated their customer with far more respect,  MSC is definitely a cruise line we will not consider in the future.

• Like 2

Wondered this myself yesterday. We have Grandiosa  booked for October 2020 so still have time to wait and see and decide about that. Our March 29 Mera out of Miami was of course cancelled so if any of the Miami ships sail again late Spring we will try and hop on one. 

I'm following this thread because we also hope to cruise again in the future. I'd like to know what basis people have for making their predictions, be they optimistic (cruises resuming later this year) or less so (2021 and beyond). It would help us in our travel plans if we knew the sources people are relying on (articles, government stats, cruise industry insiders, etc). Thank you in advance!

5 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

I'm following this thread because we also hope to cruise again in the future. I'd like to know what basis people have for making their predictions, be they optimistic (cruises resuming later this year) or less so (2021 and beyond). It would help us in our travel plans if we knew the sources people are relying on (articles, government stats, cruise industry insiders, etc). Thank you in advance!

No one knows.  It is all guesswork.  If anyone tells you different they are lying.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

No one knows.  It is all guesswork.  If anyone tells you different they are lying.

This ^^

My speculation is the fall. My rational is what is happening with COV19 in other parts of the world combined with global cancellations which reach into September (and many cancellations are listed as indefinite). Entire state school systems closed until fall. And the biggest tell tale sign for me that this isn't a short term (weeks) is that they are setting up the Olympics to be held without spectators this summer.

This list is a nice summary of cancellations/postponements that may help. 

https://www.nytimes.com/article/cancelled-events-coronavirus.html

I speculate by the end of summer when schools are back in session, around August and September.  Right now in California schools are out until May 1, but rumors are it may be out the rest of the school year.  I think we will see cruising back in June but with limited itineraries, with it back to mostly normal travels by September.  I think the biggest predictor is when the U.S. takes off the do not travel level 4 warning.

I cancelled my August cruise which hurricane season was going to be stressful enough.i have a 10 day on another line in January 2022. I'm not worried about cruising for a while until everything gets straightened up.i have a motorhome and a 25 ft pontoon boat.ive been wanting to take up gold panning / metal detecting for a while.everything I need is in my home state.our other favorite the Smokey mountains are only 5 hours away.gas is cheap so are campground fees.no problems life is good.

• Like 1