GWV-press alerted

atexsix

16 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

"Nightmare at sea"?? Not too much hyperbole there...

Especially since all of California is now supposed to stay home, with limited exceptions.  Being on a luxury cruise ship with unlimited food is not a nightmare compared to what the rest of us on land are going through.  

• Like 1

The Captain just announced we’re deviating our course so we can medi-vac a passenger. This is precisely why it would be unsafe for passengers to continue past Australia given the current pandemic. Australia is sending a helicopter. HAL can’t be sure any other country on the way back to Ft. Lauderdale would also do so. The odds are actually extremely low. 

This couple would probably be screaming loud and clear if it was one of them and help wasn’t available.

Edited by Mary Ellen
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Mary Ellen said:

The Captain just announced we’re deviating our course so we can medi-vac a passenger.

Best wishes to the passenger with the medical emergency.  They are lucky to be within heli range of land.

I am sure there will be some 'theorists' who will suggest that the medi-vac was staged just to emphasise HAL's position. 🙄

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mary Ellen said:

The Captain just announced we’re deviating our course so we can medi-vac a passenger. This is precisely why it would be unsafe for passengers to continue past Australia given the current pandemic. Australia is sending a helicopter. HAL can’t be sure any other country on the way back to Ft. Lauderdale would also do so. The odds are actually extremely low. 

This couple would probably be screaming loud and clear if it was one of them and help wasn’t available.

Captain Jonathan was so right- what a hellova way to end a career.😣

• Like 4

If we were on that ship we would be focusing our attention on making planes to get home.  Not contacting the media to whine.

I can only assume that those folks who are featured in the article had no trouble making the appropriate onward journey reservations/plans (or HAL did it for them) otherwise they would not have had time to complain to the media.

I put in down to boredom.  Cannot blame the media.  They are in the entertainment business, not the factual news business.  Anything to boost circulation/audience numbers in order to increase advert revunues.   Sentinel may be bad, but certainly no where near as bad as CNN or FOX for this typed of journalism.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Mary Ellen said:

We're currently on the Amsterdam. I'm attempting to be tactful - but since the beginning we've been aware of the couple mentioned in the article. We'll be happy not to sail with them in the future.

Have you ever read any of her travel articles? She’s been in Cruise Travel mag many times. Pure hype.

3 hours ago, iancal said:

If we were on that ship we would be focusing our attention on making planes to get home.  Not contacting the media to whine.

Holding mine.

I know this is a slip, but that is only short of what some may feel they need to do to get home.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

Unfortunately, that Sun Sentinel article is just a tad bit slanted to one side, about 90% worth. Imagine that 🙃

Good thing the ship doesn't list like that!

Most news stories about cruise ship "disasters,"  and not just the Corona situation, get overblown. It's a "sexy" story that grabs the reader's/watcher's attention.   

• Like 3

The article blaming the cruiseline is of course slanted and wrong.

That said, I'm sure one thing that's accurate in the article is that there are some "elderly and frail" passengers.  There are on every cruise.  I don't understand some of them going for 7 days, doing so for 4 months is just plain stupid.

Edited by bouhunter
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Have you ever read any of her travel articles? She’s been in Cruise Travel mag many times. Pure hype.

I have read her travel articles and they were always very pro-HAL.  The angle she takes in this article is disappointing.  More than enough "too precious" pax on this cruise without her adding to the total. 

• Like 2