Urgent - Ruby Princess 3 people infected - Urgent Tracking of Passengers

19 minutes ago, MFR said:

Seems like a lot of posts are being deleted.  I had also posted some additional info from Princess ' website about being contacted, and that now I had some mild symptoms.   I then got an email notification that someone posted that I should stop trying to hijack the OP's thread.  I was going to apologize to the OP, but these posts seemed to have disappeared.   

BTW, I was tested on Monday,  results came back positive today, but fortunately I've only had mild symptoms.   Husband will not be tested unless he has symptoms.   Despite what we hear from Washington,  there aren't enough tests to go around. 

Sorry you tested positive.  Praying your symptoms stay mild. 

Here in New York, Long Island to be exact, no testing unless multi symptoms or health care worker.  So my husband with 7 day fever now, was denied testing last Friday when we heard about the Ruby.  His doctor, on a video exam, also said he did not qualify for a test and that was Tuesday.  So many people do not realize how limited the testing is in the USA. It is not what they hear on the president updates. 

Just about one hour ago, I donated the masks I purchased to bring to Sydney for smoke due to the bushfires.  I was unpacking and realized I had them.  Got in touch with my daughter in law's sister a nurse in NYC.  She sent over her doctor fiancee who was ecstatic there were six and I also added 3/4's box of rubber gloves. How very sad that doctors and nurses in NY have to do their job without proper protection.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, BRANDEE said:

Unbelievable..isn't this where Border Patrol and Passport control come into play?

There is freedom to exit Australia just not enter it now. We can't stop people leaving Australia at all. In this case, glad to see them go but they left a trail of contacts as they left. We had no authority to seize their passports to stop them leaving and nor can we put people under arrest as they haven't committed a crime. We just expect them to act responsibly. They didn't 

Ruby - This refers to the earlier discussion about who is responsible for this massive fail and our NSW Premier has been openly criticised by the other State Premiers (and this is not normally done here) for her negligence last week in allowing four suspected ships to simply disembark. 

Close to 50% of Covid infections in our state have come from Cruises and all but 1 has come from travellers. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BRANDEE said:

Here in New York, Long Island to be exact, no testing unless multi symptoms or health care worker.  So my husband with 7 day fever now, was denied testing last Friday when we heard about the Ruby.  His doctor, on a video exam, also said he did not qualify for a test and that was Tuesday.  So many people do not realize how limited the testing is in the USA. It is not what they hear on the president updates. 

Just about one hour ago, I donated the masks I purchased to bring to Sydney for smoke due to the bushfires.  I was unpacking and realized I had them.  Got in touch with my daughter in law's sister a nurse in NYC.  She sent over her doctor fiancee who was ecstatic there were six and I also added 3/4's box of rubber gloves. How very sad that doctors and nurses in NY have to do their job without proper protection.

For weeks now, we have been able to walk into our large public hospital and simply be tested. Now we have to have had contact etc as we are running out of tests. If you were still in Australia you would have been isolated at the Governments expense, and tested and asked to wait until the results came back and action taken according to the result. 

Im hoping that your husband recovers quickly and that you take care of your own self! Do your medical advisors not know anything about Ruby? It's been regarded as a major fail in the Australian Covid story! 

Edited by Pushka
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Pushka said:

For weeks now, we have been able to walk into our large public hospital and simply be tested. Now we have to have had contact etc as we are running out of tests. If you were still in Australia you would have been isolated at the Governments expense, and tested and asked to wait until the results came back and action taken according to the result. 

Im hoping that your husband recovers and that you take care of your own self! Do your medical advisors not know anything about Ruby? It's been regarded as a major fail in the Australian Covid story! 

Told our private doctors as well as doctor on Corona Hot Line that we, especially my husband with fever, are considered first contact from cruise ship in Australia.  Still can not be tested.  Big shortage in NY.  What is more upseting to me is if my husband does not have corona, what does he have?  He is also having an allergic reaction..rash is gone but not itchiness.  He was stung by something in Napier and has been "itchy" since.  (welts and rash left before we got off ship).  Now no doctor wants him in the office unless he gets worse. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pushka said:

However you rationalise, they caught the virus on Ruby Princess. However it got there is irrelevant.

Have to disagree about this, sorry because we were actually on the Ruby cruise right before the cruise now under such condemnation and there weren’t any cases on board on the 8th March as it was inspected and cleared by NSW Health.

If I was a Princess exec, where and how the infection arrived on this ship would be highly relevant.

The cases of Covid-19 since are heartbreaking, devastating and due more to many departments not doing their jobs.  Where was the 14 day isolation???

Bring on the hearts - 💖

Edited by Porky55

2 hours ago, MFR said:

Seems like a lot of posts are being deleted.  I had also posted some additional info from Princess ' website about being contacted, and that now I had some mild symptoms.   I then got an email notification that someone posted that I should stop trying to hijack the OP's thread.  I was going to apologize to the OP, but these posts seemed to have disappeared.   

BTW, I was tested on Monday,  results came back positive today, but fortunately I've only had mild symptoms.   Husband will not be tested unless he has symptoms.   Despite what we hear from Washington,  there aren't enough tests to go around. 

MFR  I was shocked to read that you tested positive for the corona virus. I'm glad you have only mild symptoms and hope they remain that way.  Sorry it has got to the stage where they don't have enough tests to go around.  Our government has been saying that we must all stay inside to try to flatten the curve so the hospitals don't get overwhelmed.  I have girlfriends in NY and Boston/Florida and I'm worried for them.  Have you contacted NSW Health Department and whoever they told you to contact in the USA.  This is very important, as they need to know how people caught the virus (e.g. off the ship versus unknown in the community.)  (Once the virus is in the community, the only way to stop the spread of the virus is with a vaccine or to self isolate, stay 2 metres away from everybody, cover face when coughing and sneezing, wash your hands frequently, wash all surfaces, etc)  Good Luck.

My friend in Long Beach - Batemans Bay is just starting his second week of self isolation after testing positive, following disembarkation from Ruby Princess in Sydney on 19 March.   Not feeling too bad, flu like symptoms.

3 hours ago, Porky55 said:

Who is to say the virus did not originate from the tour guide to our Princess passengers?? The incubation time frame of 4-5 days is about right? Just saying 🤔
Again mere speculation 🙄

Excellent point. I didn't think of that. 🙂 Possibly the timing works better for your scenario.

Edited by Aus Traveller

3 hours ago, Pushka said:

the other day before SA locked down, we had a group of newly arrived tourists of 18 from the USA. They immediately became unwell and of the group of 18 - 10 were positive. They were put up free of charge in a luxury resort while the rest were awaiting results. That wasn't good enough for a couple, they escaped to the Eastern States (NSW). And yes, their tests came back positive. To say our Government is angry is an understatement. As are we South Aussies. How dare they!

If only everyone would do the right thing, this virus can be tamed very soon, maybe not defeated but quite a while.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

If only everyone would do the right thing, this virus can be tamed very soon, maybe not defeated but quite a while.

But they have their heads stuck in the sand, not listening to government advice, loads of tourists, mainly in cars with ACT plates, sorry Mic... coming into Batemans Bay at the moment for the holidays, everywhere downtown, purloining all the groceries and no TP left.😬

Edited by NSWP

2 hours ago, BRANDEE said:

Unbelievable! BTW I do believe you. Obviously the infection rate in USA is much, much higher than officially acknowledged. It has to be if many people aren't being tested who should be.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pushka said:

Ruby - This refers to the earlier discussion about who is responsible for this massive fail and our NSW Premier has been openly criticised by the other State Premiers (and this is not normally done here) for her negligence last week in allowing four suspected ships to simply disembark. 

Close to 50% of Covid infections in our state have come from Cruises and all but 1 has come from travellers. 

It is highly likely that the Premier wasn't involved in the decision to let the Ruby Princess passengers disembark. That decision was taken by the NSW Health Department, and probably by a Public Servant, not the Minister.

56 minutes ago, Porky55 said:

Have to disagree about this, sorry because we were actually on the Ruby cruise right before the cruise now under such condemnation and there weren’t any cases on board on the 8th March as it was inspected and cleared by NSW Health.

If I was a Princess exec, where and how the infection arrived on this ship would be highly relevant.

The cases of Covid-19 since are heartbreaking, devastating and due more to many departments not doing their jobs.  Where was the 14 day isolation???

Bring on the hearts - 💖

With respect what you experienced is irrelevant. Passengers went on the ship healthy. They have come off testing positive. Well over 150. What am I missing here? 

And I think your hearts thingy is very inappropriate in these circumstances.  

Edited by Pushka

Just now, Aus Traveller said:

It is highly likely that the Premier wasn't involved in the decision to let the Ruby Princess passengers disembark. That decision was taken by the NSW Health Department, and probably by a Public Servant, not the Minister.

The Minister is responsible for the decisions made by his/her Department. Similarly, the Premier is responsible for the decisions made by her Minister. That's our system.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Aus Traveller said:

The Premier is in charge of the State. Everything that happens in that state is under their watch. That’s like saying the Captain isn’t responsible for managing the activities of the crew. Ultimately he/she is. 

5 minutes ago, NSWP said:

But they have their heads stuck in the sand, not listening to government advice, loads of tourists, mainly in cars with ACT plates, sorry Mic... coming into Batemans Bay at the moment for the holidays, everywhere downtown, purloining all the groceries and no TP left.😬

Tomorrow e were going to go on holiday to Sunshine Beach with our extended family - eight adults and five children. As the covid problem ramped up, we postponed the holiday until December. (Thanks to the Real Estate Agent who agreed). I hope the virus is tamed by December.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Aus Traveller said:

Tomorrow e were going to go on holiday to Sunshine Beach with our extended family - eight adults and five children. As the covid problem ramped up, we postponed the holiday until December. (Thanks to the Real Estate Agent who agreed). I hope the virus is tamed by December.

On that we all agree. 

2 minutes ago, Pushka said:

The Premier is in charge of the State. Everything that happens in that state is under their watch. That’s like saying the Captain isn’t responsible for managing the activities of the crew. Ultimately he/she is. 

I agree that the responsibility lies at the top, but often I feel it is unfair when the Minister or the Premier is blamed for decisions that they would have had no part in. Many decades ago I worked in a Ministerial office and saw this at first hand.

Thank you Brandee and MMDOWN UNDER for your well wishes.  Brandee I hope your husband is better soon.   This is so frightening.   I wish we'd listened to our daughter and not gone on the cruise, but when we left the US on March 3, the risk still seemed low, and on the cruise we felt insulated from what was going on.  I think many more Americans o  the cruise must have been infected than we're hearing. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pushka said:

NZ has so far been very clean. Yes they have had cases but no local transmission. It has been introduced by travellers. No need for speculation as to where it came from. A cruise ship. 

It could have been one of the other cruise ships that called into Napier a few days earlier. We know that other ships have had cases on board. BTW, I say this without checking the itineraries of the other ships.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BRANDEE said:

Unbelievable..isn't this where Border Patrol and Passport control come into play?

The American tourists were free to move from South Australia to NSW as there were no restrictions at the time on moving between the states. There is now, for the first time since 1919 when similar measures were taken to contain the Spanish flu that was devastating the world at the time.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I agree that the responsibility lies at the top, but often I feel it is unfair when the Minister or the Premier is blamed for decisions that they would have had no part in. Many decades ago I worked in a Ministerial office and saw this at first hand.

Yes I understand that too. So many red flags were evident here though with sick passengers and tests already in process. Thousands of people involved. Blind Freddy would have acted with caution. 

10 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Yep, while they have us all working (not even from home) and not self isolating, people will still travel to their weekend places. This is the problem with mixed messages.

My wife is isolating herself at home but I still have to go to work, even though I can work from home, I am not allowed as I am seen as critical (along with every other public servant).

They will not even shut hairdressers despite the special distancing rules.

The Gov is prepared for people to die as long as it doesn't cost too much.:(

10 minutes ago, Pushka said:

With respect what you experienced is irrelevant. Passengers went on the ship healthy. They have come off testing positive. Well over 150. What am I missing here? 

They were not healthy going on, they may have been temperature tested but not properly tested.