Regent: It’s time to do the right thing!

gr'aunt

8 minutes ago, bbtondo said:

I'm very real.  My post was meant to be sarcastic. 

SORRY

I am just worried our friends in USA are getting the wrong information, then corporate decisions are being taken on this less than full info

Sorry again, I missed your irony

15 minutes ago, GrJ Berkshire said:

SORRY

I am just worried our friends in USA are getting the wrong information, then corporate decisions are being taken on this less than full info

Sorry again, I missed your irony

No worries.  Sometimes it's hard to get the meaning of what someone is saying in text.  

18 hours ago, Guerncruising said:

It also strikes me that visiting these places so soon after the virus is either a little disrespectful or at least distasteful in the light of the events that have happened. 

The other side of that coin is that many of the places that will open back up will desperately need any money tourists will spend there.  Getting the economy running again and presenting a sense of normalcy will go a long way to restoring the 'pre-Covid 19' way of life.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mrlevin said:

Royal Caribbean has cancelled all cruises until 12 May.  Carnival announced that they will provide update to their schedule this Friday, 27 May.  Crickets from NCLH.

Marc

I'd bet money that 12 May is overly optimistic.  I'm also guessing that you meant Carnival will update their schedule on 27 Mar, not May - and even then, these are all projections.  There's really no telling what's going to unfold in the next few months.

Personally, I'd rather not have a date thrown out there like RCI did.  That gets people thinking that late May cruises will be a go.  Does anyone REALLY think that cruise ships will be sailing by 12 May?  I don't.

Yes 27 March.  No won't happen by 12 May.  But at least they are letting their customers know they are alive and kicking.  Regent still has World Cruise on "Find a Cruise" portion of their website.  I think if Jason O'Keefe were still around we would have more answers or at least a feeling that Regent cares about us.

Just my two rubles.

Marc

8 hours ago, GrJ Berkshire said:

I do not think that Americans have grasped what is now happening in the UK. Let me fill you in on some of the detail, essentially people are advised not to go out unless essential. Many over 70's and those with medical conditions should remain at home for 12 weeks(yes weeks not days ). All schools, colleges are shut, all pubs, cafés , restaurants are shut. Most non essential shops food and pharmacy are now closed. No churches are open, no acts of worship- funerals only at crematoria, cemetery with minimal numbers of mourners. Supermarkets are applying social distancing 2 metres apart and limiting numbers allowed in at any time. Everywhere is eerily quiet. Many if they can are working from home using the internet, Skype etc putting pressure on broadband. This is the UK still not as affected and behind Italy Spain and France on the virus.

Yet you get posts talking about cruises starting up in 3 weeks time !!!!!

With full optimism July is the earliest that Regent can even think of restarting this side of the pond, that's if the infrastructure has survived this hit, many airlines are in deep trouble, lots of business will simply do well to come out the other side of this

That's why I repeat which planet are Regent on !!! Just listen to Gov. Cuerno in NY

Can we get reality back here, this is not.

Respectfully, those of in North America do grasp what is happening - not only in the U.K. but throughout the world.  Since no one knows how long people should stay at home, different countries (and states in the U.S.) determine the length of time for the semi-quarantine.  It should be noted that Italy has had a policy of staying at home for quite a while, yet, the numbers continue to increase.

In terms of listening to Governor Cuomo, he is in a state that currently has the highest number of active cases in the U.S.  Therefore, what he feels needs to be done may not be the same as states with very low numbers (I do applaud what the Governor is doing - he seems to be a very good leader).  Where we live has the second highest numbers of cases.  Our schools, restaurants, bars, parks, gyms, etc. are closed.  We can still get groceries (and the hoarding has lessened considerably) as long as we stay 6' away from other people.  This is working out well so far but we are waiting to see the number of new cases after a couple of weeks.  

In terms of Regent, they want us to know that they are ready to go.  They would never put their crew or passengers in harms way.  All of us are stressed right now and Regent is entitled to do a bit of wishful thinking - just as the rest of us are.  When we booked a May cruise, we felt that the worst might be over by then (again, wishful thinking).  There are some people that feel that ships will not cruise at all this year.  There are no right or wrong assumptions.  We have no factual information and therefore, the government as well as the people look at what is happening and make their own assumptions.  

So, once again (and this may also be wishful thinking), please be kind to one another - at home and on this board.  Try not to judge -  not each other or Regent.  We all have differing opinions and please do not get angry just because our views differ.  At the end of the day, what is meant to happen will happen.  Nothing that any of us think or post will matter.  

Be safe and stay healthy!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mrlevin said:

Royal Caribbean has cancelled all cruises until 12 May.  Carnival announced that they will provide update to their schedule this Friday, 27 May.  Crickets from NCLH.

Marc

Marc -

Can you share your source regarding Carnival's update planned to be released this Friday?  Saw  nothing on their website.

Edited by Kwaj girl

5 minutes ago, Kwaj girl said:

Marc -

Can you share your source regarding Carnival's update planned to be released this Friday?  Saw  nothing on their website.

Not too good a source, found it in this thread:

Maybe before plans are being made for a cruise in the next couple of months, it’s time to take pause to see if the nearly 30 ships still stranded at sea can ever get find a port that will allow them to dock and disembark first? Am I a party pooper because earlier today when Spain reported that they had to take over an ice skating rink to use as a morgue, I didn’t think about whether I could take a cruise in the next couple months?Should we focus rather on whether we can get enough hospital beds and ventilators into New York City in time to prevent people from gasping for their last breath out in the streets? 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, bbtondo said:

Enjoy your May cruise!  I hope that it sails and you are safe, don't miss any ports, don't get sick, don't get quarantined in a foreign country, can fly to and from your cruise, etc.

I hope that you are right that when your cruise comes up in May everything is back to normal.  

Huh?? I'm all for positive thinking but...

If I was forced to make a prediction I would say that there will be no Med/ Europe cruises this spring or summer. In the fall if they're lucky

• Like 1

Regent doesn’t want to give cash refunds.

They want to give Future Cruise Credits.

People would be tying up Thousands of dollars and being forced to make new bookings or cruising when they may have no any interest in doing so. Thousands of dollars held by Regent.

Regent should cancel these summer cruises and give refunds....not FCC!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruiseluv said:

Huh?? I'm all for positive thinking but...

If I was forced to make a prediction I would say that there will be no Med/ Europe cruises this spring or summer. In the fall if they're lucky

Sarcasm.  

1 hour ago, Travelcat2 said:

For those interested in current (as of this minute - may be obsolete in two minutes) list of the dates that cruise lines expect to resume cruising:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5206/?et_cid=3321904&et_rid=124463740&et_referrer=Baccardi_Contest

WOW, not sure about that-but nice.  Thanks for posting that.

For many, the problem with going on a Regent cruise in just a couple of weeks wouldn’t be the on board experience. Regent cruises are not “floating Petri dishes” we have always found them to be very uncrowded. But all mass market lines we have been on are “floating Petri dishes”. Andto get to a Regent cruise most have to fly commercial, and these planes are “flying Petri dishes” and airports are also “Petri dishes”. And with the airlines cutting flights, can you even get air to your cruise?  I don’t thing we’d book a cruise sooner than this fall.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, GrJ Berkshire said:

Which planet are they on? There is no chance of this.

UK will still be in total lockdown, Europe is closed, this is just not possible.

Airlines will not be flying to any extent by then, or even June 11th

Look at today's decision re the Olympics.

I have always thought that Regent was a good company, this is frankly reckless and ill advised.

Thank you!!!

Since I started this post, I‘m jumping back in (momentarily) even though I promised to stay quiet on page one. I’ve read all the responses. I’m encouraged by people who felt the freedom to express their opinions...even as they risked possible ridicule from a handful of those who think cruise deposits/full payments should be treated as a charity contribution to the cruise line, as a way to keep them “afloat” so the booster-club can complete their multiple pre-booked future cruises. Dilly dilly. 

I just read Regent’s most recent “update” as of March 22nd. One thing that has NOT changed-their April 11th “expiration” date. A new protocol announced is that passengers will need to fill out a form prior to embarkation; if the answers don't justify allowing passengers on board, they will be denied access. Interestingly, the passengers will THEN get a full refund for CRUISE ONLY. So if the passenger booked their own air, now they have to scramble to find a place to stay while arranging a return flight. If the passenger took Regent’s air, Regent will be responsible to get them a return flight. Okay...but in both cases, the no-longer-passengers have had to take a trans-Atlantic flight (US passengers) or longer (Aussie passengers) for no reason.

As already pointed out, some of the pre-embarkation questions appear ridiculous! There will be a potential denial of embarkation if you’ve flown into an airport in certain countries, for starters? In my particular situation, Los Angeles is already on virtual lockdown, London is heading there, and Barcelona was a day too late and is now paying a heavy price while in full-blown lockdown. These are the 3 cities I would be in within 48 hours of embarkation. So I already know ahead of time (as would Regent) that there is no way I could “pass the test” of admittance, but I would still be required to fly to Barcelona in order to be turned away and then cancelled? (I haven’t even factored in that my pre-cruise hotel has already cancelled my reservation; they are closed down until the end of April). 

In the daily-changing-travel-drama, I’ve been paying particular attention to Barcelona. On March 25th, Spain closed all airports, ship ports and Spain’s border to all but Spanish citizens and legal residents for 30 days (and possibly longer) according to the British Airways website (the airline carrier I am booked on). Do the math:  Spain’s 30 day announcement is WAY past Regent’s current April 11th expiration “date”. Does anyone believe the Explorer will be docking in Barcelona any time in April? Is it ethical to leave passengers with April reservations hanging like this until the last minute? Yes, these are trying times. But purposefully... knowingly...saying it will be “business as usual starting April 12th” leaves me with no confidence that this is a reality-based statement, for Spain at least. Those heading to the moon... or another planet...will surely have better luck. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mrstanley said:

Regent doesn’t want to give cash refunds.

They want to give Future Cruise Credits.

People would be tying up Thousands of dollars and being forced to make new bookings or cruising when they may have no any interest in doing so. Thousands of dollars held by Regent.

Regent should cancel these summer cruises and give refunds....not FCC!

If YOU cancel, you receive FCC's.  If Regent cancels, you have a choice of a refund or FCC's.  Pretty simple!

11 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

If YOU cancel, you receive FCC's.  If Regent cancels, you have a choice of a refund or FCC's.  Pretty simple!

How will they handle the possibility of the "over 70" wild card? I can understand why FCCs might not be smart for some people and therefore would be of no real use. Do you think there would be some sort of written,  contractual guarantee to protect people so that they don't fall through the cracks into some sort of catch22?

I agree that Regent has put us in a dilemma, by giving only FCCs if a guest cancels, and cash option only if it cancels. But their announced policies don’t cover the out of pocket expenses of those who are denied boarding at embarkation because those 70+ have to meet requirements that younger guests do not.  And what are Regent’s plans in the case of a guest who can’t get there for embarkation because their flights were cancelled at the last minute by our wonderful Airlines? Those of us who just happened to have nothing booked when it all hit the fan are lucky. But we all are watching how matters like this are resolved before we book any travel beyond driving distance.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Dolebludger said:

I agree that Regent has put us in a dilemma, by giving only FCCs if a guest cancels, and cash option only if it cancels. But their announced policies don’t cover the out of pocket expenses of those who are denied boarding at embarkation because those 70+ have to meet requirements that younger guests do not.  And what are Regent’s plans in the case of a guest who can’t get there for embarkation because their flights were cancelled at the last minute by our wonderful Airlines? Those of us who just happened to have nothing booked when it all hit the fan are lucky. But we all are watching how matters like this are resolved before we book any travel beyond driving distance.

Unless you have more recent information,, there is no requirement to provide a signed form from your doctor if you are 70 or over.  It was proposed but did not take effect.  All you need is to fill out a form (similar to what we have been doing for years).  If you are found to be ill, your cruise fare would be  refunded (as per Regent's last communication to customers).  

In terms of cancelled flights, as long as you book with Regent, they will find different flights and will take care of it for you.  Again, just the same as it always has been.  

I am trying to see why there is a dilemma by giving "only FCCs if a guest cancels...........".  If Regent did not put their new Reassurance Plan into effect, most passengers with cruises booked in the next 2-3 months would have had to pay a steep penalty (up to 100% of the cruise fare) for cancelling.  So, rather than Regent holding your money until you book another cruise, you would have lost the money.

I can understand that some of you that are not affected are likely not in touch with your TA's (that are in touch with Regent on a daily basis).  This could be why some of our perspectives are a bit different.  Most of us are trying to share what we learn - from Regent - from our TA's and from Cruise Critic.  It does seem that Regent in the United Kingdom may be having difficulty communicating with their clients (my feeling are based on high number of posters from the U.K. that have not received the information from their TA's that others have received.  Hopefully this will soon be rectified.

I honestly can see no reason why people can't book cruises for 2021 or the first part of 2022.  By then we should have a cure and/or preventative vaccination for this virus.  While I personally am not in fear of Regent going out of business, if I were, I would book a cruise - in a lower category where the deposit is minimal.  There is now availability for some cruises that have been waitlisted for months.  Take advantage of them.

My feelings are that we should all - stay calm - not worry about things that we cannot control - take steps to control what you can and - most importantly - do whatever it takes to stay safe and healthy!

Edited by Travelcat2
  • Haha 1

I am happy to hear that, if your flights are through Regent, they will take care of airline cancellation on the way to (and back from) a cruise. And I hope Regent takes care of needed hotel accommodations and meals as a result of cancelled flights (or a single flight). And Regent’s policies concerning those of us over 70 are a bit confusing to me. I do understand that the don’t presently require a doctor’s statement, but their “rules” seem to give Regent a lot of discretion at embarkation. I hope I’m wrong. 

The concern about flight cancellation is based on a known experience. We have a friend who has stage 4 cancer of some rare type. Her only chance is a clinical trial. But for that she has to fly to LA once a month for treatment. She flew out Monday on  A United flight  Denver to LA. Her return flight was today. But United cancelled it, and last I heard wasn’t taking much responsibility for her well being, and getting her home. With all the flights being cancelled at the last minute, it worries me that Regent can even take care such a matter, even if it does it’s best to do so.