Cancelled Cruises Refund Tracker/Discussion (merged topics)

Quo Vadis?

We requested a refund back in March when our cruise was cancelled.  We received an FCC voucher.  Since we still hadn't received our refund, I asked our TA about doing a Lift and Shift, since we'd gotten such a great deal on our cruise.  She said that X told her that since we'd requested a refund we didn't have the option.  Then they darn sure ought to be giving us back our money here pretty soon!  We received what I assume are port fees and taxes a few weeks ago, but that's it.

Day 79 and my refund finally arrived!  I got the entire cruise fare and taxes in 3 amounts on the same day. Celebrity cancelled my June 3 Bermuda cruise on April 16th and I requested the refund the very same day via the online form. I had booked through a big box TA but since Celebrity contacted me directly (and first), I decided to cancel myself. 

I also did the Lift and Shift on my September Hawaii cruise about a week later in April. They still owe me $$ for excursions that they canceled when I moved the cruise out a year. If I had thought of it before hand, I would have canceled the excursions myself in my cruise planner and had the refund much more quickly. Oh well...  

Seventy-nine days from an X notification of cruise cancellation, we received our cruise fare and air fare refund. A nice Fourth Of July gift giving us our independence from monetary rule. We were also notified that our X excursions refunds are due to arrive shortly.

No stress, no bothering X or the TA, no being a PITA. Just a calm, patient wait-and-see attitude gets the job done. Celebrity has reacted very professionally under the circumstances, despite the impatience and belligerence of some customers. Actually, our refunds arrived within 11 days of the 90 day window....nice!    

• Like 1

18 hours ago, FighterPilot said:

Well, the same TA but some difference in that my credit card payments went to the TANH, not to Celebrity. Are you sure that your payments went to Celebrity? In any event, the refunds I got on my one cabin came from TANH. On the second cabin, I asked for a FCC of 125%. Celebrity gave me a somewhat small FCC and then, after numerous telephone calls and broken promises from TANH they said that they, not Celebrity, would provide the rest of my FCC. I went back to Celebrity and argued that this was not appropriate, the entire FCC should come from Celebrity. After about a week the TANH say they would PAY me in cash for the remainder of my FCC. I got that payment credited to my credit card today. 

The issue seems to be that TANH has a special relationship with Celebrity where they apparently "Buy" a block of cabins at reduced price and sell them to us. All that money that we pay them does not make it to Celebrity and thus cannot be refunded by Celebrity. My answer will be to not use a TA in the future if I can help it.

We've used TANH quite a few times over the years for RCCL / Celebrity bookings and all of our payments were direct to the cruise line. Anything outside of that would really concern me, especially in this current age we live in. I wasn't aware TANH even conducted business that way. Did you have TANH process FCC for you, or did you go straight through Celebrity?

With the exception of a few OBC's not being posted on board, we've largely had good service from TANH. We had two other couples sailing with us that had the same problem and eventually got TANH to resolve with Celebrity. I would be curious to know if Celebrity notifies TANH once a refund request is submitted to them and then there is something on TANH end that has to transpire to get the refund ball rolling.

1 hour ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

No stress, no bothering X or the TA, no being a PITA. Just a calm, patient wait-and-see attitude gets the job done. Celebrity has reacted very professionally under the circumstances, despite the impatience and belligerence of some customers. Actually, our refunds arrived within 11 days of the 90 day window....nice!    

Congrats on your refund. Sounds like you've had much better luck than many, including myself. I'm in total agreement on being professional and courteous at all times. The nice people on the other end of the line have no role in the delay of refunds, so taking one's frustrations out on them serves no one. That stated, no two situations are alike, some folks are well over 100 days without a resolution. I don't begrudge anyone for feeling frustrated and seeking out answers when timelines like that have been exhausted. As you stated, just be kind when doing so. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, treehugr said:

We've used TANH quite a few times over the years for RCCL / Celebrity bookings and all of our payments were direct to the cruise line. Anything outside of that would really concern me, especially in this current age we live in. I wasn't aware TANH even conducted business that way. Did you have TANH process FCC for you, or did you go straight through Celebrity?

With the exception of a few OBC's not being posted on board, we've largely had good service from TANH. We had two other couples sailing with us that had the same problem and eventually got TANH to resolve with Celebrity. I would be curious to know if Celebrity notifies TANH once a refund request is submitted to them and then there is something on TANH end that has to transpire to get the refund ball rolling.

In answer to your question, I was working with Zoe at Celebrity on the FCC after also working with TANH. Zoe processed an FCC and I was flabbergasted to see that it was for a fraction of what TANH had charged us for the Cabin. Zoe asked that I request someone at TANH to call her so they could discuss the differences. The agent at TANH refused to call Zoe saying they only worked with their special agents at Celebrity. From that point on I was repeatedly told by the same service agent at TANH that I would have an answer/resolution within 48 hours. After failing to do so two different times I told them I was going to my credit card bank to report them for non-delivery on a charge to the card. They talked me out of it one time and still didn't provide an answer. Going back to the bank, I didn't contest the charge but asked them to contact TANH. A few days later I got a call from a program executive at Celebrity and then a joint call from TANH and Celebrity executives that solved the issue. I now have a partial FCC from Celebrity and full credit card refund for the rest of the FCC from TANH.

With regard to being a PITA in this matter . . . you bet I will be a PITA when any company repeatedly tells me they will provide something in a designated time frame and then repeatedly fails to do so. I had years of good service from TANH and often recommended to friends and family that brought them much more business. Their failure to provide answers in this case was completely unexpected and particularly their refusal to even place a phone call to the Celebrity representative who was trying to help me. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

Seventy-nine days from an X notification of cruise cancellation, we received our cruise fare and air fare refund. A nice Fourth Of July gift giving us our independence from monetary rule. We were also notified that our X excursions refunds are due to arrive shortly.

I certainly agree with being considerate in the treatment of Celebrity staff on the phone.  I do not agree with your post.  You are being judgmental of people just because your attitude and circumstances are different.  .  Many people have lost their jobs and really need that money back to pay bills.  And don't give me the 'if they can afford to cruise they can afford to wait for the refund' excuse.  For some, yes.  For others, they may have saved for months if not years to afford that cruise and never in a million years had reason to believe they would lose their jobs due to a pandemic.   Others may be in a better financial situation but have tens of thousands of dollars tied up - not chump change for sure.  Many people have gotten only partial refunds, and in many cases incorrect refunds.  Are they being a PITA for following up with Celebrity to try to fix the errors?  And for often needing to call back multiple times spending hours on wait times to even get an acceptable answer?   I think not.

We are also  in disagreement that 79 days is an acceptable, nor very professional response.  Professional?  Wait times on calls regularly exceeded two hours.  Their response - lay off staff to make the situation worse.  How many cruises have they continued to accept money for, knowing that in all likelihood the cruises will not sail?  Why did they wait to cancel cruises often long after other cruise lines did because they wanted to get past the final payment due date so they could hold onto their customer's money for longer?  What kind of communication are we getting from them about future plans or what they are doing to get ready for when they can sail - the answer is zero - they would rather send us videos of how to make braised short ribs and send us solicitation emails to book other cruises that also may or may not sail.  

I used to be a Celebrity cheerleader of sorts.  After 50 cruises with them I was certainly a fan if nothing else.  Even considering the circumstances they were dealing with I am very disappointed in their handling of the situation.  I have personally had five cruises cancelled so far and lifted and shifted another.  Compared to many, our cancellations and FCC's were handled relatively quickly (if you can call 45 days quickly) and were accurate.  But I know from reading others posts we were luckier than most.  Celebrity has really let its customers down IMHO,  even considering the circumstances.

• Like 5

I just received my refund. I had to dispute on my credit card but now all is good. I am not feeling bad about what any line has done, and we cruise other lines, but it is a lot of money to be ties up.

• Like 1

I'm impressed that your cards are registering things on a Sunday. Mine won't until tomorrow if it is back on (only thinking it's possible since I got the "we cancelled these things from your cruise - IOW my dining times - since it has been cancelled email last week). Nothing ever shows on a Sunday. 😞

There are indeed discrepancies within the cruise community pertinent to refunds and FCC's. Why some cruisers experience problems, while others do not, cannot be explained but should be expected. An immediate crisis overload, due to C19, hit hard and fast. Certainly, between establishing new methods of operation and handling customer service, the challenges were, and continue to be, many. When the relationship becomes a threesome, cruise line, TA and passenger, no doubt the challenges become greater. No excuses, just fact.

To those still awaiting a satisfactory solution, I wish you well and I am sorry for your dilemma. I guess FOR ME, until receiving a notice of insolvency and/or bankruptcy, I would still remain optimistic about receiving what I was due. And just to make things perfectly clear, my posts are mine alone. They judge no one, infer nothing not written, and, describe only what I did or didn't do, how I feel or don't feel. The occasional figurative flogging, "Black Sails" style really has no place here, especially when it's without merit or justification.

Edited by Spif Barwunkel

An update to my tale of woe: Celebrity contested my credit card dispute, just before their opportunity to do so expired. Instead of the thousands of dollars they owe us, in their documentation, they reverted to the minuscule FCC they incorrectly issued back in March, which included a "penalty". They claim to owe us nothing else, since our port taxes were refunded. Celebrity cancelled our cruise the week before sailing, not me. I thought that we had this straightened out in a phone call with Celebrity back on 4/1. Guess I should have suspected an April Fool. The disputed amount is back on my credit card. And I am supremely angry. Fortunately, I asked the rep with whom I spoke to email me documentation of my April call, stating we were to receive a full refund, as was requested. It's been sent to my CC company,  along with other proof, as I continue now to dispute their dispute of my dispute. Treating an Elite status customer like this is shameful.

15 minutes ago, Tangiera said:

An update to my tale of woe: Celebrity contested my credit card dispute, just before their opportunity to do so expired. Instead of the thousands of dollars they owe us, in their documentation, they reverted to the minuscule FCC they incorrectly issued back in March, which included a "penalty". They claim to owe us nothing else, since our port taxes were refunded. Celebrity cancelled our cruise the week before sailing, not me. I thought that we had this straightened out in a phone call with Celebrity back on 4/1. Guess I should have suspected an April Fool. The disputed amount is back on my credit card. And I am supremely angry. Fortunately, I asked the rep with whom I spoke to email me documentation of my April call, stating we were to receive a full refund, as was requested. It's been sent to my CC company,  along with other proof, as I continue now to dispute their dispute of my dispute. Treating an Elite status customer like this is shameful.

Treating any customer like that is shameful.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, FighterPilot said:

From that point on I was repeatedly told by the same service agent at TANH that I would have an answer/resolution within 48 hours. After failing to do so two different times I told them I was going to my credit card bank to report them for non-delivery on a charge to the card. They talked me out of it one time and still didn't provide an answer. Going back to the bank, I didn't contest the charge but asked them to contact TANH. A few days later I got a call from a program executive at Celebrity and then a joint call from TANH and Celebrity executives that solved the issue. I now have a partial FCC from Celebrity and full credit card refund for the rest of the FCC from TANH.

Interesting that something finally got rolling after notifying TANH of a potential CC dispute. We did file a CC dispute and made TANH aware a little over a week ago, our friends the same. They got refunds on Wednesday and I was just notified by bank CC of a full refund, nothing in installments, just about an hour ago. I'm sure it's mere coincidence, but all of us got our refunds this week after making TANH aware we had filed CC disputes. Keeping my fingers crossed this is then end of this whole mess. I'm really starting to believe TANH plays a role in the processing of refunds, even those paid directly to Celebrity. 

For everyone else still waiting, I truly wish you well and hope your wait comes to an end as well. 

2 hours ago, mel8kri said:

I just received my refund. I had to dispute on my credit card but now all is good. I am not feeling bad about what any line has done, and we cruise other lines, but it is a lot of money to be ties up.

Congratulations 😄 

8 hours ago, FlorenceItaly said:

It is a Travel Agency based out of New Hampshire.  I've used them a few times and always swear never again!

Bit of a Con is it?

Edited by harz99

On 7/4/2020 at 7:22 AM, Cruise a holic said:

Well we finally got all of our money back from Choice Air from our March cruise that never happened!  We are so glad!  Restores our faith.  Way to go.😄

Did you have a refundable or non refundable  ticket?

Ontario Cruiser 

24 minutes ago, Ontario Cruiser said:

Did you have a refundable or non refundable  ticket?

Ontario Cruiser 

Non refundable- but purchased via choice air and everything was down- including Delta flights- so I guess it surely didn't matter- they couldn't sail or fly.  Also first class.  We moved our sail date to march 2021- but will have to rebook flights closer to sailing- if it happens!

Edited by Cruise a holic

On Saturday the 4th of July I saw what I assume to be the port fees/taxes credit for a June 6th cruise Celebrity canceled on April 16th for which I accepted a FCC.  My experience with refunds has been that I receive them roughly one month after the sail date not the cancellation date.  No FCC yet.

On 7/3/2020 at 7:43 AM, FighterPilot said:

I ran into this same thing and I'm wondering if you booked through the TA based in NH? I was told that the TA would provide the rest of the FCC but I told Celebrity I was not happy with that and they got with the TA and the TA is paying me the difference. 

Hey FighterPilot -- we booked with a TA located in Florida.  I have sent email to the TA and also Celebrity asking that the issues be reviewed.  Thus far, I have yet to receive a response back from the TA or Celebrity.