P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

7 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Thanks - well worth a try!  Three miles away may not be sufficiently local, but at £4 a pound jar (delivered!) I'm up for it. My wife suffers at this time of the year, but I might just share the honey.....

Even if it doesn’t work for you you still have some nice honey and are supporting local business. Three miles should be about right as most people don’t have hives any closer than that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Eglesbrech said:

Even if it doesn’t work for you you still have some nice honey and are supporting local business. Three miles should be about right as most people don’t have hives any closer than that.

Couldn't agree more.  

Interesting developments over the last few days here, though re honey bees. We now have one lot at the top of the roof somewhere at the back, and another lot residing at the front for a few days decided yesterday to move on to somewhere more hospitable.

They're peaceable enough - we need bees.  Wife seriously interested in beekeeping now.

41 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Couldn't agree more.  

Interesting developments over the last few days here, though re honey bees. We now have one lot at the top of the roof somewhere at the back, and another lot residing at the front for a few days decided yesterday to move on to somewhere more hospitable.

They're peaceable enough - we need bees.  Wife seriously interested in beekeeping now.

Are the ones taking up residence the French lot with the big black body and small yellow patch, they are becoming very common. We had them in the loft last year but they buzzed down into the upstairs bathroom. I kept letting one out the window and 2 minutes later another would appear. They caused no harm.

We get the traditional yellow bumble bees on the lavender and bushes. We also have an area at the bottom of the garden that my husband describes as his bio diversity area (in other words hidden behind the garage so no one sees it and he lets it go so full of weeds and wild flowers)

27 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Are the ones taking up residence the French lot with the big black body and small yellow patch, they are becoming very common. We had them in the loft last year but they buzzed down into the upstairs bathroom. I kept letting one out the window and 2 minutes later another would appear. They caused no harm.

We get the traditional yellow bumble bees on the lavender and bushes. We also have an area at the bottom of the garden that my husband describes as his bio diversity area (in other words hidden behind the garage so no one sees it and he lets it go so full of weeds and wild flowers)

Just the standard common or garden honey bees here at present.

We had some white-tailed bumble bees taking residence for the summer a couple of years back, but they moved on in the autumn.

A few tiny solitary masonry bees too in the plastic weep holes every year, causing no problems or damage at all.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Beckett said:

No sleep for me either Avril - well very little anyway. 30 degrees here yesterday too and I'm going to be very controversial here and say I hate it, and I hate Summer. Love the other 3 seasons but north of 22 degrees and I'm grizzly. Have a good day, keep cool, and it'll be worth it when it's done. Best wishes. Jane.x

I don't mind the heat from the sun but it is humidity that I really dislike especially indoors.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, brian1 said:

Cheers,I am not affected much now just my OH.Local honey not as easy in greater London but definately available in Italy in local markets,will try it,cheers again,Brian.

Manuka honey is the only honey we buy.

It’s been a nice, lazy day, probably not as hot as yesterday, with a little bit of wispy cloud about.  Looking forward to a comfortable sleep tonight.

Here’s a nice tranquil pic from this afternoon.

DB00B1A4-359A-4BC6-AD9D-FBF9DB523C54.jpeg

• Like 11

2 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Well done that woman if she does Harry :classic_smile: The British Bee needs all the support they can get .

• Like 1

WEMBLEY TICKETS....
England v Scotland
Friday 18th June 2021
Kick Off 8pm
One of mates has spare two tickets in a corporate box for the England v Scotland game. He paid £300 each, but he didn't realise when he bought them that it was going to be the same day as his Covid 19 postponed wedding.

If you are interested, he is looking for someone to take his place.

It's at Barnsley Registry Office, at 2.30pm.

The bride's name is Moira, she's 5'4", about 8 stone, quite pretty, has her own income and is a really good cook.

• Like 6
  • Haha 15

18 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:
WEMBLEY TICKETS....
England v Scotland
Friday 18th June 2021
Kick Off 8pm
One of mates has spare two tickets in a corporate box for the England v Scotland game. He paid £300 each, but he didn't realise when he bought them that it was going to be the same day as his Covid 19 postponed wedding.

The bride's name is Moira, she's 5'4", about 8 stone, quite pretty, has her own income and is a really good cook.

Just love  it - one of the best.😀

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, kalos said:

Well done that woman if she does Harry :classic_smile: The British Bee needs all the support they can get .

She might yet, Kalos. We've been through the hens phase a few years back (garden wreckers!) so it's probably time for a change.

Pretty sure the neighbours wouldn't appreciate it though - they moved here from London not so long ago and are struggling to adjust. Mentioned the other day that combines will be coming down the lane in a few weeks' time and they freaked!  Also asked if we'd please get rid of the bees from the front garden because they might sting people passing by in the lane. 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:
WEMBLEY TICKETS....
England v Scotland
Friday 18th June 2021
Kick Off 8pm

Priceless.👍

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

She might yet, Kalos. We've been through the hens phase a few years back (garden wreckers!) so it's probably time for a change.

Pretty sure the neighbours wouldn't appreciate it though - they moved here from London not so long ago and are struggling to adjust. Mentioned the other day that combines will be coming down the lane in a few weeks' time and they freaked!  Also asked if we'd please get rid of the bees from the front garden because they might sting people passing by in the lane. 

Makes you wonder why they moved in the first place!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Makes you wonder why they moved in the first place!

Same old story. They move away from the London area to escape, then try to recreate it where they've settled. 

Doesn't go down well, and neither does the litter.  Not all of them, to be fair, but too many.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Harry Peterson said:

Same old story. They move away from the London area to escape, then try to recreate it where they've settled. 

Doesn't go down well, and neither does the litter.  Not all of them, to be fair, but too many.

Happening around here too. The countryside can also be a noisy place at times!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

Happening around here too. The countryside can also be a noisy place at times!

It has happened here for years, people drive through the countryside think how nice it is, move in then complain about church bells ringing, cockerels crowing and the smell of pig $h!t.

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

It has happened here for years, people drive through the countryside think how nice it is, move in then complain about church bells ringing, cockerels crowing and the smell of pig $h!t.

...... you mean we actually physically have to take our own bins to the nearest main road in the boot of our nice new pristine car?
...... A&E is really 45 minutes away right?
...... isn’t there a bank branch within 30 miles? (Well there’s a mobile service for half an hour once a week on market day).

...... the closest recycling centre is 40 minutes away right?

...... the registrar is open three mornings a week, oops, that’s not local but again 40 miles away.

...... fancy a takeaway dear ... not much choice and no home delivery!

I could go on, but the really sad part is when a couple retire in fairly good health, then begin to suffer ailments. No family or lifelong friends to ferry them to appointments (chemo for instance is normally a 2-2.5 hour trip from parts of Mid Wales), then only one left. I’ve seen so many go through this. When you go to visit someone in a care home around here, you make an afternoon of it as you invariably know 80% of the residents and they call you by your mother’s name and ask about your (long departed) grandparents! The newcomers don’t get this experience no matter how well meaning everyone is and as most elderly residents in this part of Wales speak Welsh as a first language, it’s even more difficult for them. It’s not the same as having a caravan and spending weekends here and people don’t consider that. 

• Like 7

We have carpenter bees in Italy although they are more of a beetle.The bloody things drill half inch perfectly round holes in our fence.We put slices of lemon in the holes to deter them.I'll send them over to Harry,they build their own hives.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

England v Scotland should be interesting.I remember the World cup in 2014,we were in Italy and watched the England v Italy game in the local bar.Our sweaty sock neighbours turned up in Italy shirts.Payback time,lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Good morning everyone :classic_smile: Reading about the city people who seem shocked that 

the countryside has animals and cow muck and the nearest Waitrose is miles miles

away . I agree what did they expect ,a leading part in Emmerdale ? :classic_unsure: Some around 

here think they live in the great outdoors with their choice of vehicle, a great big warrior

or Range Rover Discovery which comes in handy when they need the local supermarkets

or kids school which are within a mile of them . I suppose they come into their own though

when tackling our local pot holes. It's not just the countryside though you only have to

watch the TV show A Place In The Sun ! Most of the participants seem to be of an age 

where looking at them they are going to need a Doctor sooner than later as posted earlier

in this thread . They don't speak the lingo, have no friends or family out there and they

would like to plunge all of their life savings 50K into some old goat shed that the presenter 

tells them find another 10K from somewhere and it could be habitable once more :classic_mellow:

What are these people thinking ?  :classic_unsure: The clue is there when the presenter tells them  that 

the current owner may take offers of 30K as due to ill health (there's the clue ) they want 

to sell up ASAP and head home to old Blighty and our NHS. Old Judy got it right ........

There's no place like home !   It's not all that bad sometimes the countryside comes to us.

I wonder how many brothers & sisters and other family that rabbit in Grahams back  garden

has got ? :classic_unsure:Looks cute ! Pauline could find she has a little helper as it helps with trimming

the plants back and digging a few holes here and there .:classic_wink: I thought I saw a gang of rabbits

in our garden and they were all hopping  backwards but I was mistaken ,turned out to be a

receding Hare-line .:classic_rolleyes: Do you know Some rich and famous people  have rabbits as pets .

Elton John has one and he bought it it's very own treadmill... 🎶 It's A Little Fit Bunny 🎶 :classic_biggrin:

Where ever you are or go today , stay safe :classic_love:

• Like 13
  • Haha 5