P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

I have watched the entire funeral from 9.30am and I can honestly say that I have never seen, nor will I ever see again, such an amazing and incredible ceremony. The honour and outpouring of love and respect for our late Queen was astounding, from the lying in state to her internment at Windsor. Both ceremonies were beautiful, but what touched me most, and what I will always remember, was the haunting sound of the lone piper slowly walking away. I couldn't stop crying, and now I'm at it again.

Avril

Don't laugh but it  was the horse Emma that got me and then the corgis. Made it more about a person.. if that makes sense.

Re the Royal family. They all look like they need time to grieve out of the public glare now. Charles and Anne look terrible ...

Edited by Presto2
  • Like 10

32 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

They said it was The Lone Piper's Lament. I don't know if that's the correct title though. 

Avril

The lone piper tends to play Flowers of  the forest and is used at funerals .

My Granddad had it played at his as did my Dad at his as well.

A very haunting lament that takes me back to those two funerals .

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Don't laugh but it  was the horse Emma that got me and then the corgis. Made it more about a person.. if that makes sense.

Re the Royal family. They all look like they need time to grieve out of the public glare now. Charles and Anne look terrible ...

I agree. The Corgis waiting for their beloved Queen got me blubbing.

What a wonderful send off. I’ve watched it all day too - just wonderful.

• Like 6

It was, and I did feel especially  for Charles and the close family, who had to do so much -including walking miles, many of them, at a slow march - and they must be exhausted in every way.

The whole thing was immaculate, and those young soldiers carrying the coffin had such an important and difficult job.  Their parents will be very proud of them.

Yes, the pony and the corgis got to me too.

• Like 10

They did mention the other day on TV that the Coronation would possibly be early Summer in 2023 and they dont think it will be a lot later like the last Coronation. I dont think they had any factual reason for saying, but they did seem certain it would not be 12 months after funeral like in 1953.

2 hours ago, majortom10 said:

They did mention the other day on TV that the Coronation would possibly be early Summer in 2023 and they dont think it will be a lot later like the last Coronation. I dont think they had any factual reason for saying, but they did seem certain it would not be 12 months after funeral like in 1953.

The Crown (Netflix) maintained the delay to Elizabeth's coronation was at Churchils request, to thwart a plot to oust him, but the more likely reason is the lack of adequate planning due to the war and King George vi premature death.

Edited by terrierjohn

11 hours ago, majortom10 said:

They mentioned a few days ago that the delay for the Queen's coronation was partly because they wanted it in the summer, like her official birthday.  So Charles's is expected in summer next year.

Edited by tring

7 minutes ago, tring said:

They mentioned a few days ago that the delay for the Queen's coronation was partly because they wanted it in the summer, like her official birthday.  So Charles's is expected in summer next year.

If it is summer next year, I hope it doesn't coincide with our cruise because I would really like to go down to London for a few days for the coronation but with my sort of luck I will be watching being broadcast on the ship.

• Like 2

Those 8 young soldiers in the bearer party were amazing.Those last steps at Windsor were nerveracking for me,let alone them with 4 billion people watching.We have internet and British tv here.Salvatore our local bar owner tuned in for other Brits over here who were not so lucky.

• Like 12

39 minutes ago, Bloodaxe said:

I believe the lament was called Sleep, dearie, sleep.

Sorry my mistake , it was leaving Scotland and the St Pauls that the flowers lament was played.

The final lament was indeed   Sleep, dearie, sleep.

• Thanks 1

Last night as we went to bed we both commented to each other that we both had the 

slow march music they played  going up the Long Walk at Windsor ,stuck in our heads

I noted some of the horses were getting stressed and kicking off at doing such a slow march.

Some good horsemanship was displayed keeping it together . 

Edited by kalos
  • Like 9

We got back from Disneyland Paris late Sunday evening, I had a great time but am absolutely exhausted. 5 days in a row in the parks while recovering from Covid was a lot. It was very special being there with our little Grandson for the first time and I willingly sat down for several hours each day with him while he napped in his pushchair. 

I could do with a cruise to recover 🤣

I watched the funeral coverage all day yesterday with my husband and daughter and we all found it very emotional. I hope the Royal Family have some private grieving time now. 

• Like 15

I too watched the funeral all day yesterday. Whilst not a Royalist, I think the Late Queen was incredible and Charles has massively gone up in my estimation since his mother's death. I'm not a hugely patriotic person either but am not ashamed to admit that I shed tears of both sadness and pride yesterday. The events at Windsor I found much more emotional than those at Westminster. Like many on here, seeing HM's pony and corgis set me off and then I completely fell apart at the removal of the Instruments of State. Truly the end of an era.

After a cool start it is bright and mild here. Been into the Old Town to get some greetings cards and had a coffee sitting on the café terrace. Then into the New Town for Ink Cartridges for my printer.

This afternoon holds the excitement of a pile of shirts to iron after my cruise...🙄

• Like 13

Like others on here I watched the Queens Funeral all day from 8.00 until 5.30pm, I found the most emotional part when the Gun Carriage set off from Westminster Hall pulled by the Sailors with mass bagpipes and banging drum. Even though I've followed much of the coverage since HM death was announced that moment brought it to me what an historic moment I was witnessing.

Mind you the procession could have been quicker if the Sailors had handled the Gun Carriage like they used to 🙂 (note a young Philip Schofield at the start!), see below.

Royal Navy Field Gun Competition 1997 - YouTube

• Like 1

As a Wife, Daughter and Granddaughter of a soldier I was incredibly proud to be British yesterday, everyone involved did an absolutely incredible job. In this multicultural society we live in everyone pulled together. No other country can put on an event like we did. 

It must have been a security nightmare for the security guys, I bet they were glad when it went off without a hitch. The Royal family walking through the streets of London without being surrounded by security was brave in itself. Can you imagine in Washington the President walking without security, he would have so many people round him we wouldn't be able to too see him. 

I always marvel at how the band can play and still keep in step. Especially as a slow match is normally 60 steps per minute and the funeral match was 75 per minute so they aren't necessarily used to matching at that pace. 

I was another one who went to bed last night with that drum beat in my head.

• Like 12

21 minutes ago, amajaa said:

It must have been a security nightmare for the security guys, I bet they were glad when it went off without a hitch. The Royal family walking through the streets of London without being surrounded by security was brave in itself. Can you imagine in Washington the President walking without security, he would have so many people round him we wouldn't be able to too see him. 

The security was there around the Royal Family  walking alongside them in suits but unobtrusive and definitely not so many as the President would have had. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Gettingwarmer said:

The security was there around the Royal Family  walking alongside them in suits but unobtrusive and definitely not so many as the President would have had. 

Yes I know on that site beginning with an I people were asking last week who the bloke was with the beard walking beside them and I had to say it was their security guard. 

On another note can I say it wasn't just the military who were incredible so were all the civilians marching as well, especially the Queen's private household who were directly in front of the coffin, the Private Secretaries and the pages, watermen etc.  

Also thought it was a  nice touch having the Canadian Mounties leading a group as well.

• Like 7

Im getting a bit fed up with P&O.

I have a cruise booked and have a couple of questions for them. They never reply to emails/site posts. I rang them last week, got a message saying calls were taking over 15 minutes to answer - I waited 25 and gave up. Just tried again, now theyre advising over 30 minutes wait.

If they are this busy, they ought to get more staff on the phones.

Ive always liked P&O, but if things dont improve then this might be my last cruise with them.

19 hours ago, majortom10 said:

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Coronation is on 2nd June 2023.

It's a Friday, so it works well for a bank holiday long weekend, and it's also 70 years to the day when Elizabeth II was crowned.

The funeral yesterday was an amazing spectacle and a fitting farewell to our monarch of 70 years.  I found the lone pipers in both Westminster and Windsor to be very moving, plus the symbolism of the removal of the crown, sceptre and orb, and the breaking of the chamberlain's staff. Not to mention the sight of the horse and the two corgis, and the grief etched on Charles's face.

• Like 10

I to watched the funeral Allday yesterday with my husband and agree with you all it was very emotional. Definitely made you proud to be British. 

Also cried when they showed Emma the pony and the corgis, made me think how much they will miss their owner.

Also thought Prince George and Princess Charlotte did extremely well for their ages.

I Hope they let the Royals grieve in peace now.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, amajaa said:

Yes I know on that site beginning with an I people were asking last week who the bloke was with the beard walking beside them and I had to say it was their security guard. 

On another note can I say it wasn't just the military who were incredible so were all the civilians marching as well, especially the Queen's private household who were directly in front of the coffin, the Private Secretaries and the pages, watermen etc.  

Also thought it was a  nice touch having the Canadian Mounties leading a group as well.

I thought it was pretty obvious who the tall, bearded guy was. He is constantly looking around and shepherding the King when doing walkabouts.