P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

4 minutes ago, Purdey16 said:

I loved the smell of spiced fruit cakes cooking , I used to make Christmas cakes and Christmas puddings years ago but not for 30 years now, but I did make a lovely Dorset fruit cake yesterday afternoon to use up a awful lot of cooking apples this year .

IMG_4429.jpeg

That cake looks very tempting!  I'm off to take a look at the recipe as I too have lots of apples to use up this year 👍

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Purdey16 said:

I loved the smell of spiced fruit cakes cooking , I used to make Christmas cakes and Christmas puddings years ago but not for 30 years now, but I did make a lovely Dorset fruit cake yesterday afternoon to use up a awful lot of cooking apples this year .

IMG_4429.jpeg

That looks good, can we see inside please when you serve it? I can smell it from here😁

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, mrsgoggins said:

I'm annoyed with myself for missing a half price 'Which?' Do Your Own Wills offer as I've held on to the flyer for ages!  I think it's now just 30% off.  Do I wait until the next offer rolls around?  Maybe not.  We do have Wills but they need amending.  We updated our Lasting Power of Attorney documents using the Which? pack - all online with their notes and then they check it for you and return it to you before you complete it.

After that jolly topic, here's a much nicer one:  I've just measured out the dry fruit for the 2 Christmas cakes I am making this year.  The fruits will soak in brandy until tomorrow and later I'll line the baking tins and check I have all the ingredients so I'm good to start in the morning.  I love the smells that linger after the cakes have been cooked.

I think we'll go out to lunch and just have a sandwich before Strictly.  All in all, looking like a pleasant day.  I hope you all have nice plans for the weekend, whether you are in the cool temperatures with rain @Eglesbrech or 'basking' in the sunny south east. 

Goodness……we’re fellow Which? subscribers too! I’d be inclined to ring them, explain what happened, and ask whether they’ll do the 50% offer for you. It’s still a lucrative sideline for them, and better than maybe getting nothing. Home made Christmas cake here too, but my role is only a VERY passive one!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, kalos said:

If you smell gas, call the National Gas Emergency Service immediately on 0800 111 999 

Take care not chances better safe than sorry Dave better a false alarm than ..😢

The problem is I can also smell it on the bus and in the supermarket and it smells more like burnt toast??, and it is not BO. Different than sniffing the unlit gas burner as well.

NHS say this

Changes in sense of smell are most often caused by:

a cold or flu
sinusitis (sinus infection)
an allergy, like hay fever
growths in your nose (nasal polyps)
These can cause:

loss of smell (anosmia)
smelling things that are not there (phantosmia), like smoke or burnt toast
reduced sense of smell (hyposmia)
changes to how things smell (parosmia)
It's also common to lose some of your sense of smell as you get older.

They also say if it does not go away in a week or two see your doctor

I do have occasional catarhh and stopped taking my hay fever anti histamines a week ago.

I have my covid jab this afternoon and will take appropriate action after that, I presume the local health centre does not have a gas leak.

• Like 5

We were expecting a lovely sunny day today but it is pretty grey here in Stoke in Trent. Having a lazy day today. We were up until 2am booking flights for our retirement cruises - as some of you know - and I have girl flu so am going to curl up with the laptop, or a good book, or Death in Paradise ! Achoo

• Like 10

6 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

We were up until 2am booking flights for our retirement cruises -

Retirement   !  So much to look forward to 🙃 Hope your girly flu gets better.

In the meantime a few retirement thoughts for you to ponder .😁

4e7663f01be8bbe4b72734a36d25efaa.jpg.4b270ec43c72290b576077ac5bfa3707.jpg95d048e870057296fcacf559c5b6c177.jpg.fd8357ffcd37e10ae85a49bd9ca0eb07.jpgb3d574ab95332aa51b042523ae307cae.jpg.e27624102362e710abf62076de613c78.jpgc3780b5c652940a0faf0bc2e5b78c3e8.jpg.60fe85fde552c52b80db706be23edf24.jpg

• Haha 15

4 hours ago, kalos said:

If you smell gas, call the National Gas Emergency Service immediately on 0800 111 999 

Take care not chances better safe than sorry Dave better a false alarm than ..😢

I'll second that kalos👍. We won't have gas in the house after a sad incident many years ago with a family member. You can never be too careful.

Avril

• Like 2

Well I’m really glad I live on fairly high ground as there is flooding everywhere.

There is a burn that runs near the house (thankfully downhill from us) and it has burst it banks and is flooding over. For years it came towards some of the homes until the council eventually lowered the other side so the flooding goes to a field rather than the cottages. The trees are now sitting in a minute lake!

We are at least lucky here. Looking at the news some areas have been flooded out already, a month of rain in less than a day! Water can be so destructive.

Puddle pump at the ready just in case. It never reaches our house (thankfully) but part of the garden can flood so we pump it out to a drain. Brilliant invention.

So I’m stuck indoors watching lashing rain hitting the windows. All this talk of Christmas cake, I may start to make mine.

• Like 10

3 hours ago, mrsgoggins said:

That cake looks very tempting!  I'm off to take a look at the recipe as I too have lots of apples to use up this year 👍

I think I will make one too. My lot are starting to get fed up with apple pies and crumbles

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

I was looking forward to a nice sunny summer like day today as but so far rather disappointingly cloudy and cooler at 18c than forecast.

Same here in my part of Barnsley. Forecast was 21c and full sun, but we're actually sitting under thick cloud 15c and feeling more like 10c. Ho hum, maybe tomorrow.

Lets face it, they have to get it right sometime............ don't they??😏

Avril

• Like 3

Warm and sunny as promised, some cloud cover just appearing overhead but no sign of any rain.  Heading to the bbq next door at 2.00pm and thankfully the veggie kebabs are now an organic salmon fillet courtesy of my husband going to Waitrose as they opened.  The city centre here is a total mess due to roadworks and alterations to the river so unless you go to the supermarkets at 7.00am you risk an hour getting out once you're in.  It is currently 24 degrees here but once the sun goes I guess it will drop, certainly chilly last night while sitting up to book our plane seats.

Hoping the weather lasts as we are visiting clients in Brighton Monday and I'm only needed for an hour so planning a long walk and look around while the OH does his stuff, anything to stop me eating!

• Like 3

Currently cloudy & 21C here, sun trying to peek thru, due to hit the dizzy heights of 22C this afternoon, will wait and see.

We had our Covid & Flu vaccinations this morning 2 sore arms now went into practice at my booked time of 10:45, out again at 10:55, my GP and 2 practice nurses doing the jabs, nurse said they have almost 250 patients at Covid/Flu Clinic this morning and all have turned up on time. Once again a well organised session. 

Then went into town had a coffee and a muffin, bought a pair of boots in sale reduce from £85 to £27 plus 10% BLC discount. Back home now with 2 sore arms and a headache, probably mixture of vaccine and caffeine! 

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Same here in my part of Barnsley. Forecast was 21c and full sun, but we're actually sitting under thick cloud 15c and feeling more like 10c. Ho hum, maybe tomorrow.

Lets face it, they have to get it right sometime............ don't they??😏

Avril

Wouldn’t bet on it Avril, same here in Pontefract. What is annoying is that if you go on the BBC news website they are still showing wall to wall sunshine and 20c. Either they don’t like to admit they got it badly wrong, or perhaps don’t have sufficient staff to keep it updated.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Grandad John said:

Wouldn’t bet on it Avril, same here in Pontefract. What is annoying is that if you go on the BBC news website they are still showing wall to wall sunshine and 20c. Either they don’t like to admit they got it badly wrong, or perhaps don’t have sufficient staff to keep it updated.

The sun is shining on Huddersfield the temp is 19 deg, and the wind has dropped to a gentle breeze..

• Like 1

Just been outside to check on cabbages & cauliflowers and see whether my “slug pub” deterrent was working, seems 6 slugs have been tasting the brew! The culprits seem to have found the beer more favourable than the cabbage leaves. 

Nipped into the greenhouse to pick some peppers, temperature had reached 32C at some point, outside it has hit 22C, although has now gone cloudy, tomorrow looks a similar day, so arms permitting I will start the planting of the winter bedding and spring bulbs on the containers, although some will have to be held back as the dahlias are still in full bloom in two of my larger containers. 

• Like 6

12 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Goodness……we’re fellow Which? subscribers too! I’d be inclined to ring them, explain what happened, and ask whether they’ll do the 50% offer for you. It’s still a lucrative sideline for them, and better than maybe getting nothing. Home made Christmas cake here too, but my role is only a VERY passive one!

I've done 4 LPA's for relos Harry and the UK.gov site is quite simple and clear.

Well the other half has done it he ran the Bournemouth super nova 5 k run in 36 minutes, I’m very proud of him tonight after only doing 6 days of actual running, a few weeks prior he was speed walking, and decided to do this on a whim, he was worried of embarrassing himself with puffing and panting but surprised himself with the time, after his first full 5k run , now the rest of the family has said they will sign up for next year 5 or 10 k run , he’s 65 next week and I think he’s having mid life crisis 😂 seriously he got paid to do this years ago but now he’s paying to do it for fun 🤣🤣

• Like 7

18 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

We have docked in Málaga after three lovely smooth sea days. I met up with SeaJane and Astrajet on the first sea day, not seen Jean around. We are loving aurora and the food  is good.

Oh I’m really jealous! I should be in Malaga very soon on Britannia. We cancelled the cruise because I just couldn’t leave my parents that long. I’m torturing myself though by following Britannia on ship mapper - Lisbon tomorrow! 
Should be on Aurora next year for a short break 🤞

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Purdey16 said:

Well the other half has done it he ran the Bournemouth super nova 5 k run in 36 minutes, I’m very proud of him tonight after only doing 6 days of actual running, a few weeks prior he was speed walking, and decided to do this on a whim, he was worried of embarrassing himself with puffing and panting but surprised himself with the time, after his first full 5k run , now the rest of the family has said they will sign up for next year 5 or 10 k run , he’s 65 next week and I think he’s having mid life crisis 😂 seriously he got paid to do this years ago but now he’s paying to do it for fun 🤣🤣

Well done to him! You have every right to be proud.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1